Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pogba has been great at times, unlucky at others and poor at others. I think part of his problem is the united side/midfield has no shape/balance/continuity - he can't, but tries, to do it all himself at times and it doesn't work out. Another part of the problem, that absolutely should not be overlooked, is that some of his performances have been poor/crap - never mind the arguable mitigating circumstances.

I think a competent, solid and dependable holding midfielder who can pass the ball - providing a shield and feeder to Pogba is needed in this side.

He has been disappointing, like every single player in the United side this season.

• MrMac84 wrote: »
    Are all the other Clubs superthreads this busy with supporters from other clubs telling them the issues with their teams or is it just our one?

I'm sure if a certain result doesn't go a certain way tonight it might change again.
    Mods should open a new Superthread call "KneeJerk FC Team/Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'm sure if a certain result doesn't go a certain way tonight it might change again.
    Mods should open a new Superthread call "KneeJerk FC Team/Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017"

Is the greatest player that ever lived unavailable again? It'll be like back in January so with the excuses flying If they don't get the required result!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Is the greatest player that ever lived unavailable again? It'll be like back in January so with the excuses flying If they don't get the required result!

You complain about supporters of other clubs giving their opinion on this forum and then post about another club on this forum yourself !

You couldn't make it up !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

eigrod wrote: »
    You complain about supporters of other clubs giving their opinion on this forum and then post about another club on this forum yourself !

You couldn't make it up !

Just keeping with the trend of the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

We need to sign a proper winger in the summer Miki, Mata, Rahford, Martial and Lingard are not wingers they all look to cut inside leaves us playing so narrow so predictable and it's so easy to defend against, You get absaloutely nothing from anyone who's played left back this season going foward most time our left winger is doubled up on, I like Valencia on the right defensively he's solid great engine but he's been are main attacking threat this season and it's just not good enough, We can go spend a fortune on Griezmann in summer and play him out on the right and we'd still have the same problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

"@AlexShawESPN Luke Shaw spoke to reporters last night. Some brilliant quotes on Jose and his future out on @ESPNFC later. (Currently embargoed)."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

One thing United have got back is they are very hard to defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

"@AlexShawESPN Luke Shaw spoke to reporters last night. Some brilliant quotes on Jose and his future out on @ESPNFC later. (Currently embargoed)."

I thought he did alright last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

RobertKK wrote: »
    I thought he did alright last night.

So did Jose funnily enough.

That sounds like a pile of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/849614144328302597

Reports from Chile that we want Sanchez and Jose has already made contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

adox wrote: »
    That sounds like a pile of trouble.

yup very very worrying :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

A partner for Pogba in CM who will help get the best out of him and proper wingers would make a huge difference to the side.

CM and wing will be 2 very important positions that need to be filled in the summer.

Jose has United hard to beat and defensively fairly sound,next step is to get the attack to click.If he doesn't then it's going to be a long tough season next year again.

2 players in cm and wing could transform the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Mr.H wrote: »
    No-one allows three seasons before judging.

If mane was **** people would happily point it out.

Same for ibra.

Being the world's most expensive player means you have to adapt quick.

Andy Carroll was judged very fast at Liverpool

Think it's important to clarify some differences here, they are things that have become "the accepted mainstream" that were once not, and it's not ok.

The stuff outlined above happened because of :
    • Rival fans on the windup
    • Online sites operating clickbait
    • Newspapers doing their usual thing to sell papers
    • Channels like Sky generating debate and contraversy where none exist
    • Genuinelly stupid, moronic people believing it to be the case.

I'm sorry but no one with a shred of intelligence, or understanding of the game and simple histrionics, would accept a player coming from abroad, any age or fee, would have to adapt quickly and there be expectations for it to happen instantly.

When it does happen, it is a bonus. But there is more examples of players struggling and then reaching their former levels after settling, then players who come in and light the place on fire. And in those instances, it's typically those players being just "new" where the opposition don't know their strengths and capabilities, but then suffer second season syndrome.

So when this stuff happens, you can easily identify when it falls into the bullet points I've outlined, where you can happily ignore it. Anyone judging Paul Pogba now, in the definitive, is a dribbler. No if's or buts about it.

Has he disappointed? Yes
    Can he do more? Yes
    Is he likely to get better? Yes
    Has he being helped by his manager? No
    Is he a "busted flush" or a "flop"? No, and if you answered yes, congrats, you're the dribbler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Really? I thought his post game comments on Shaw were an absolute disgrace. Absolutely needless, and classless. I don't understand the play.

Just say he played well, he was supported by the coaching staff and did as he was asked to do. No need to call him an idiot in public and say you are the only reason he looked good when he came on.

When I saw the video this morning I only saw it with subtitles from a site I didn't recognize and I honestly thought it was a crap parody joke.

For a guy who on one hand seems and speaks modern when it comes to things like say players on social media, where he says you need to move with it, give players their freedom as it's a battle not worth dealing with, but at the same time can have such an archaic way of motivating players.

5 draws out of the last 6 home league games, against Liverpool, Hull, Bournemouth, WBA and Everton. The other result of the 6 was a win against Watford.

That's atrocious, and we were nearly beaten late on in some of those games - DDG fumbling Fletcher's shot onto the crossbar against WBA, Markovic hitting the post and leaving DDG flat-footed against Hull, and then almost got beaten against Everton but for a last minute penalty.

It's concerning at the moment, and I don't see it getting any easier against the WBAs and Evertons of Europe in the late stages of the Europa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Yet ye would love him in yer team......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Yet ye would love him in yer team......

Did you do a bit of a straw poll......

bangkok wrote:
    Comparing pogba to andy carroll. Lol

Both overpriced and got a lot of criticism at a young age in their first season......

I'm not saying they are as good as each other. I'm comparing hype versus criticism

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Both overpriced and got a lot of criticism at a young age in their first season......

I'm not saying they are as good as each other. I'm comparing hype versus criticism

Not really. We signed one of the best players in his position in the world. Ye signed a donkey from newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/849614144328302597

Reports from Chile that we want Sanchez and Jose has already made contact.

Wouldn't trust anything coming out of Chile. Remember the Vidal chilevision fiasco :D

Thats a BS excuse, imo. Complete BS. LVG didn't hypnotise them or brainwash them.

There is a massive lack of confidence in the squad, I think that is the biggest issue.

Its not brainwashing but you can train people to a level of unconscious competence for actions and if they are at that point retraining them takes time. So no its not a BS excuse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Reports from Manchester evening news that club have opened talks with Carrick about extending his deal for one year.

bangkok wrote:
    Not really. We signed one of the best players in his position in the world. Ye signed a donkey from newcastle

Which is the point. He hasn't even played like the best player in his position in Manchester let alone the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

bangkok wrote: »

<3

Reports from Manchester evening news that club have opened talks with Carrick about extending his deal for one year.

Not related to your post, but I just finished watching The Wire for the first time recently, and all of a sudden a lot of Boards usernames are making sense to me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

stankratz wrote: »
    Not related to your post, but I just finished watching The Wire for the first time recently, and all of a sudden a lot of Boards usernames are making sense to me :pac:

More like last of the summer wine when Carrick is concerned.

stankratz wrote: »

They are defo better than the likes of me that has my old car in front of my name :D or Jayo and his age when he joined boards. Or Adox with his name and a kiss to everyone :D

Actually... Pro F(ootballer)... it all makes sense now

astradave wrote: »
    They are defo better than the likes of me that has my old car in front of my name :D or Jayo and his age when he joined boards. Or Adox with his name and a kiss to everyone :D

Ha! It's actually my nickname since I was a kid for some reason although yes I am an Adrian. xx

• Advertisement

Its not brainwashing but you can train people to a level of unconscious competence for actions and if they are at that point retraining them takes time. So no its not a BS excuse

Maybe not earlier in the season, Jose did say as much himself back then, but now this far removed from LVG's time you'd have to think that they have been freed from the 'process' by now. To try to assert blame for the current stagnation on a manager who left the club almost a year ago is clutching at straws IMO, no matter how hard he imposed his teachings on those players. We're talking about a training pitch and a meeting room over 2 years on and off to teach footballers, not a padded cell with sensory deprivation every day for 10+ years to train Manchurian Candidates.

I agree with the unbolded part of what I quoted you on, I just think that now in April, 50 games into Jose's reign, we need to stop blaming LVG. If his teachings are still rooted in peoples minds, that man should start a religion or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Ha! It's actually my nickname since I was a kid for some reason although yes I am an Adrian. xx

hJ8ISu3zLrHws.gif

• astradave wrote: »

Decipher mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Phil

• Phil

Phils my m8 but not my name
    But points for effort :)

Ha thedoc's username is the biggest twist known to man kind.... ill say no more

You shop in M(acys)! for your C(alvin) K(lein)

I'll be back when this terrible attempt at humour is forgotten :D

Oh they're good names, I'm here trying not to jump on The Wire train myself now. I sussed that about the few names you mentioned, except the 'x' in adox being a kiss. You are a darling adox, it all makes total sense now :D

As bad as 'stankratz' is, my first car in front of my first name would have been an even worse username. Punto..... :pac:

With Pro. F, I thought it was a variation of Prof, short for professor. Which wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility considering his/her low tolerance for wasted words and a keen interest in empirical evidence.

My username is abysmal. When I was 12/13, a few of us in a garage band were trying to come up with a name for this aural assault. One of the other lads suggested something in the format of The _____ ______ Experience, and my response was 'The Stan Kratz Motion'.

"Who is Stan Kratz?" the lads wanted to know. "Sure he can be some sound old fella who helped us out and got us back on the road when our tour bus broke down driving between stadiums in America, he can be anyone, who cares?" I said.

Yep, it was all terrible, and we didn't name the band after Stan or any kind of motion. At the time, I didn't think it was too bad though so I used stankratz for my first email account. By the time I signed up for Boards and used it years later, it was just a mixture of laziness, convenience and force of habit.

I purchased the minimum subscription for Boards once or twice last year to allow me to change my username, but the two usernames I tried to change to were already taken. I had then resigned myself to "F*ck it, on Boards I'm Stan" but there's been a few instances since then where posters mentioned that it reads like Stank Ratz, and that's just...nope, can't be having that.

So I'm on the hunt for a username...and something United related to talk about :pac:

He's some clever bastard that Mourinho - Less than 24 hours after that poor performance and result, and here we're talking about usernames and have adox blowing kisses, the man's a genius!

• Advertisement

Anyone else watching the Chelsea City match?

I'm quite looking forward to it.

Anyone else watching the Chelsea City match?

I'm quite looking forward to it.

Yep I have feeling it will be a great game. Love to see Jesus fit again I'd like to see more of him.

Wow after all that its 1 nil ha ha

Was well taken goal by hazard tho come on chelsea.

Don't open your f*ckin mouths.

Great stretch in the evenings.

Great stretch in the evenings.

Was just saying that to the missus this evening as we were scooping dog sh*t in the garden. She's gonna keep an eye on the bump'n'sell pages for a nice furniture set.

• Advertisement

Can have a few nice midweek evening games of Golf too :D

Can have a few nice midweek evening games of Golf too :D

Masters weekend :D

Masters weekend :D

That wind is shocking tho i hope it dont interupt the weekend too much.

Courtouis lol Chelsea brainfart

I've never really been into golf. I played for 2 months during my teens in the late 90s, was terrible.

Now in my early-mid 30s, I'm finding myself drawn to it and think I'm going to get a set of clubs and a local membership in the Summer.

Can any of you explain what the f*ck is going on, or have experienced something similar?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement