Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/JimWhite/status/849986930897018880

this is the problem with English football.
    Madness he is on 100k if it is true.

No wonder he bought himself a new £200k motor last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Same as Firmino
    Daniel Sturridge earns 120k sitting on his arse
    It's Madness alright

Look at the quality of players with the likes of juvenile, napoli, bayern and athletico that aint earning near 120k a week it would sicken ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That lingard contract is a perfect example of why United find it so hard to sell players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That lingard contract is a perfect example of why United find it so hard to sell players.

Lingard feels the type of player who will be with us till he's 30. United raised, happy with squad roles, hard working (if not high quality). I can't ever see us trying to sell him until he decides to leave near the end of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Lingard feels the type of player who will be with us till he's 30. United raised, happy with squad roles, hard working (if not high quality). I can't ever see us trying to sell him until he decides to leave near the end of his career.

And I think he's always improving. Seeing what we spend on others, its not as bad as many are making out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Same as Firmino

It's Madness alright

Keeping those new pearly whites gleaming ain't cheap.:)

Would any other Premiership team pay Lingard 100k a week. I dont think so and if the answer is no why should we be even if he is happy to be a squad player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

https://twitter.com/JimWhite/status/849986930897018880

this is the problem with English football.
    Madness he is on 100k if it is true.

What has Lingard done to justify a pay rise and to that amount? I know he scored the winner in an FA cup final, but that salary sounds mental compared to what he actually does.

zerks wrote: »
    I don't think this was posted.

https://twitter.com/Cristiano/status/849879622338707456

Ronaldos new boots in memory of his time st United and it turning him into the player he is.

Nothing but a marketing attempt to appeal to United fans and get them to spend money on his gear again.

No harm to you posting it zerks, it's just that I reckon it went the following way...

Nike HQ: "Ok, Ronaldo products. He is clearly still very much adored by a large portion of the Man United fanbase worldwide. Is there a way for us to tap into that market? Maybe with kids and in Asia? No, I'm not talking about how we make the product, they would be the target market. Look into that. Isn't he due a new pair of boots?"

***Boots inspired by his time at the club!!! Ronaldo signs off on the product, poses for photos, gives some quotes, posts them on his social media pages for money, just like any other random product he chooses to be associated with***

Rather than...

Ronaldo: "You know, I'm flat-out at the moment sham trying to see out the season with Real Madrid and concentrating on things in that part of the world, but it is very important to me to release some football boots to honor my time at Manchester United. The United fans don't know how special that club is for me, I never told them, not once, so I must release some boots."

Clearly I'm not in the target market though.

• Advertisement

What has Lingard done to justify a pay rise and to that amount?I know he scored the winner in an FA cup final, but that salary sounds mental compared to what he actually does.

Was born in England id imagine.

I think Lingard has improved under Mourinho, not 100k per week improved, but is definitely someone I want to see remain in the squad for the next two years to see how it goes.

The money is just getting out of control though, where's the reward/incentive for the relatively young Lingard to improve after that?

On the flipside, it could (f*cking should!) do wonders for his confidence. With that kind of contract and money, the club have made a statement that they really want him. Maybe he won't feel as bad sitting next to Pogba in Wagamama now, who through wages and marketing makes genuine 'F*ck You' money.

Our wage bill has to insane, hopefully we'll see a return on it someday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Why do United feel the need to pay Lingard 100k a week.
    He has done nothing to earn that cash and doesn't look like he will ever be a regular starter,why give him such a huge deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I see Mourinho was praising Rashford this morning

The bástard

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

yabadabado wrote: »
    Why do United feel the need to pay Lingard 100k a week.
    He has done nothing to earn that cash and doesn't look like he will ever be a regular starter,why give him such a huge deal?

United overpay all their players. It is that simple.

Edit: Actually, Giggsy's point undermines the whole discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Why do people believe all the wages reported by papers? They sensationalize it to get more clicks. Pure guess work from Sky.

They also reported Shaw is on more than 100K which Shaw refuted in one of his tweets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Why do people care what Utd pay their players? It's a drop in the ocean of the £200m plus wage bill which is still less than 50% of Utds total income. And he's probably still one of the lower paid players at Utd.

At the end of the day it's not your money, so who gives a sh!t what they pay him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

TheDoc wrote: »
    Kind of disagree but an interesting theory. I don't think I'm seeing anything from 10th-20th place teams that I havn't been seeing since Stoke first came up to the premier league under Pulis and laid the blueprint.

It comes in cycles for me. We are in that cycle where smaller clubs are feeling the best method is sitting deep playing counter attacking football. It's basically back to the 4-5-1 days Pulis brought that was a dark, dark time for the league in general.

There was a little change when some teams came up and tried something different, as the 4-5-1 tactic eventually just got broken down time and time again, and we started to see better ball retaining teams and more attacking teams getting promoted. It went back into a bit of a balance, and for me it has slid back into smaller teams being ultra cautious. Not even against big teams, just in general. Bouremouth as a bit of an exception in terms of how they play in general.

I don't think it's accurate to say the quality is higher in the lower clubs. I think the quality overall in the league has definitely dropped. And with less quality in the final third, it's leading to it being more difficult to break down these defensive tactics. I definitly wouldn't entertain the notion the quality from 10th-20th has gone up, there is still abhorrant teams in this league containing players you question how they ever reached this level. I for one, am really looking forward to not having to play Sunderland twice a season next year.

Well i did say "in general" i thought the standard of lower clubs has raised with regard players and staffing.....not that the whole league has improved. And by that i mean that the gap in squad quality from the top 5/6 to the lower end has been reduced. Alas, it's all about opinions. Do i think the team coaching/management of lower clubs has improved? Yes. Do i think they have the means and ability to attract a better calibre of player because of greater financial means and more extensive scouting? Yes i do.I do believe there is a difference in 10 men behind the ball and chaotic, backs to the wall defending that we used to see, as opposed to a more structured team unit where players are more aware of their roles and responsibilities and where the likely threat from the opposition will come from. They are two different styles, to which the latter i am seeing more of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I don't understand how they negotiated with Lingard if that figure is correct.

If they offered him 70k a week and he turned it down, where would he move? What club would give him more. Shaw I can understand because there were 3 or 4 clubs in the mix, but Lingard won't have any suitors in the top 8.

Why do people care what Utd pay their players? It's a drop in the ocean of the £200m plus wage bill which is still less than 50% of Utds total income. And he's probably still one of the lower paid players at Utd.

At the end of the day it's not your money, so who gives a sh!t what they pay him?

Its not the amount in relevance to what united can afford to spend its paying established star wages to a player that shouldn't be a regular starter.

What's left for these players to work for if they have the financial security for there entire life at the age of 24.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Its not the amount in relevance to what united can afford to spend its paying established star wages to a player that shouldn't be a regular starter.

What's left for these players to work for if they have the financial security for there entire life at the age of 24.

He's already a multi millionaire who's got financial security for the rest of his life......

And established star wages start at 200K a week these days.

• Advertisement

He's already a multi millionaire who's got financial security for the rest of his life......

To a point he did but he definitely does now.

Well the money given to Jesse and other over paid players, could be used in other ways to push the team forward. Thats why people care. They would rather the money be better spent I imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Same as Firmino
    It's Madness alright
    Sturridge will be sold but when he got his contract he was thought to be Liverpool's best player not a squad player.

Firmino is a superb player

C78lkORXQAEwcVa.jpg

Relatively young English player, who qualifies as home-grown(especially in respect of what Brexit will do with regard foreign players work permits), who can play in a number of positions and seems happy with a squad role. While i definitely agree it's a bit on the high side, it's hardly that surprising.

In modern Premiership football, £100k is the new £50k, especially when you hold the English Premium Card!!

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Well the money given to Jesse and other over paid players, could be used in other ways to push the team forward. Thats why people care. They would rather the money be better spent I imagine.

If it was affecting other transfers or new contracts I might agree. But it's not. His £2-3m a year pay rise (remember he was probably already on around £50K a week) isn't going to put much of a dent in Utd's £200m plus wage bill, which in itself is less than 50% of their total income.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Sturridge will be sold but when he got his contract he was thought to be Liverpool's best player not a squad player.

C78lkORXQAEwcVa.jpg

Sanchez created more chances than Firmino and played more games as striker.

One thing i don't see getting mentioned very often when comparing the Premiership of a few years back with now is the standard of management at the lesser clubs now as compared to then. I could be wrong but i think teams are more tactically versed by the present managers when going away to a larger club and how they set themselves up to defend. An example of some of the what may have been considered struggling teams and their managers in that 2012/2013 season....

Villa - Paul Lambert
    Fulham - Martin Jol
    Newcastle - Alan Pardew
    Norwich - Chris Houghton
    QPR - 'Arry Redknapp
    Reading - Nigel Adkins
    Sunderland - Paolo Di Canio
    Swansea - Micheal Laudrap
    Wigan - Roberto Martinez

Would many football followers expect many of the above mentioned to be tactically astute enough to set out their teams away from home at the larger clubs to nullify the threat against them as we have begun to see the last season or 2?

The 2011/2012 season all bar 4 of the premier league managers were British. The 4 foreign managers were Wenger, Di Matteo (Chelsea), Martinez and Mancini. 3 of these 4 were at larger clubs.

Fast forward to this season, 11 of the 20 managers are Non-British. In my opinion we are seeing far better tactically astute foreign managers coming in that can and do set up teams better than previous regimes and are harder to break down. Add to that the extra quality of players that lower clubs can now afford to buy than before with extra tv revenue and we see that teams are stronger and set up better. That the points difference between 17th and 9th position is 9 points. to me this indicates, in general, a tighter league and improved quality in the lower clubs.

I wouldn't be convinced by that myself. Teams have been parking the bus for a long time, not just the last season or two.

You could also make a similarly damning/questionable list of managers based on their ability to organise a defence this season too: Bob Bradley, Eddie Howe, Claudio Ranieri, Mike Phelan, Alan Pardew, Slaven Bilic, Steve Agnew.

And non-British does not mean more tactically astute either. Especially when it comes to setting up a defence to sit deep, which has been a preoccupation of Brittish football for a long time.

Lingard is not being paid established star wages. Not a chance. The stars at United will be earning two to three times whatever it is he is being paid.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Sanchez created more chances than Firmino and played more games as striker.

Yeah but did you have to quote the image? :pac:

C78lkORXQAEwcVa.jpg

Can i just say as impressive as that is you dont win games for sprints or passes or chances created and so on.

Now if you had of compaired his nine goals and 6 assists to the likes of Jesse and all it might of made more sense.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    Lingard is not being paid established star wages. Not a chance. The stars at United will be earning two to three times whatever it is he is being paid.

Yeh established star was the wrong phrase but I ment in comparison to players in Europe. In a nutshell he aint worth it.

Maybe this is why Jessie is getting 200k a week :pac:

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/850013136623194112

EFL whoops my bad stupid hash tags

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Same as Firmino
    It's Madness alright

C78lkORXQAEwcVa.jpg
    I'm sure Ruud van Nistelrooy was bottom in all those catagories but he is was still one of the top strikers in Europe when he played

I wouldn't be convinced by that myself. Teams have been parking the bus for a long time, not just the last season or two.

You could also make a similarly damning/questionable list of managers based on their ability to organise a defence this season too: Bob Bradley, Eddie Howe, Claudio Ranieri, Mike Phelan, Alan Pardew, Slaven Bilic, Steve Agnew.

And non-British does not mean more tactically astute either. Especially when it comes to setting up a defence to sit deep, which has been a preoccupation of Brittish football for a long time.

As i alluded to in my post after the quoted one, i do think there is a difference in parking the bus and implementing a defensively solid system. From my viewings of games and my opinion of that, i do think that teams are set up in more structured detail. Of course, everyone has a different opinion. The lack of British talent with regard players and the influx of better foreign players is constantly brought up. I regard the British managerial talent pool the same.

As for the list of managers mentioned. I'm not sure why you've mentioned them. That's not a dig by the way. I'll try and respond when you outline the reason.

Yeh established star was the wrong phrase but I ment in comparison to players in Europe. In a nutshell he aint worth it.

If we take this report and all the other similar reports on player wages to be true, then United overpay for every player's wages. So you could say "He ain't worth it" about every player in the squad, because they are all paid more than they would be in the rest of Europe.

I'm sure Ruud van Nistelrooy was bottom in all those catagories but he is was still one of the top strikers in Europe when he played

Very different players in very different systems. But to say Firmino is anything less than a superb player is definitely wrong.

I just wish people would stop quoting pics, esp a huge one. Horrible to navigate on a mobile

If we take this report and all the other similar reports on player wages to be true, then United overpay for every player's wages. So you could say "He ain't worth it" about every player in the squad, because they are all paid more than they would be in the rest of Europe.

True and if you take the results this season none of them are worth it.

As i alluded to in my post after the quoted one, i do think there is a difference in parking the bus and implementing a defensively solid system. From my viewings of games and my opinion of that, i do think that teams are set up in more structured detail. Of course, everyone has a different opinion. The lack of British talent with regard players and the influx of better foreign players is constantly brought up. I regard the British managerial talent pool the same.

As for the list of managers mentioned. I'm not sure why you've mentioned them. That's not a dig by the way. I'll try and respond when you outline the reason.

The list of managers I gave (except for Pardew and Agnew) have all overseen awful defences this year. I included Agnew because he's an unknown quantity and Pards because he was present for both the 12/13 and 16/17 seasons.

From my own view, I'm not seeing a league wide improvement in the defensive tactics of the deep defending teams. There's good and there's bad imo, same as it's always been. But United on the other hand aren't playing close to as well as we did under Fergie.

• Advertisement

The list of managers I gave (except for Pardew and Agnew) have all overseen awful defences this year. I included Agnew because he's an unknown quantity and Pards because he was present for both the 12/13 and 16/17 seasons.

From my own view, I'm not seeing a league wide improvement in the defensive tactics of the deep defending teams. There's good and there's bad imo, same as it's always been. But United on the other hand aren't playing close to as well as we did under Fergie.

I guess this is where we may be differing. I see a more structured and organised system in place in a lot of lower placed clubs lately. There has always been deep defending, which you alluded to and rightly so. But it's the manner in how the team defends for me which is different. It's not fly by the edge of your pants defending, backs to the wall and defend for your life. I'm seeing set-ups where players know their defined roles within the system better. Let teams have the ball 30 yards out.....not because they have been told to sit deep and defend, but that they have been told that there's not much the opposition can do with the ball out there. There's a big difference between defending deep in numbers in a chaotic fashion hoping to get a header or a clearance on the ball, than a system of narrow and deeper defending of limiting space and movement and reducing opposition opportunities. Just as there are gung-ho systems of attack......there are also tactical and systematic approaches of attack where movement and instructions are key. Defence is no different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

1st in Sprints :pac:

It's like the alternative tables all over again :D

• MD1990 wrote: »

*Insertion of awful Pic here*

Superb :pac:
    1st in Sprints :pac::pac:

astradave wrote: »

Its the Europa sprint league table sure and the Europa run furthest cup.

#NetSpend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

And they complain when everyone laughs at them:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The true measure of a top, top player.

yabadabado wrote: »
    And they complain when everyone laughs at them:D

Won't be laughing when they finish top of the furthest kickout from a goalkeeper league.

#achievements

I guess this is where we may be differing. I see a more structured and organised system in place in a lot of lower placed clubs lately. There has always been deep defending, which you alluded to and rightly so. But it's the manner in how the team defends for me which is different. It's not fly by the edge of your pants defending, backs to the wall and defend for your life. I'm seeing set-ups where players know their defined roles within the system better. Let teams have the ball 30 yards out.....not because they have been told to sit deep and defend, but that they have been told that there's not much the opposition can do with the ball out there. There's a big difference between defending deep in numbers in a chaotic fashion hoping to get a header or a clearance on the ball, than a system of narrow and deeper defending of limiting space and movement and reducing opposition opportunities. Just as there are gung-ho systems of attack......there are also tactical and systematic approaches of attack where movement and instructions are key. Defence is no different.

Yeah, I agree there's organised deep defending and there's hopeful, chaotic deep defending. We just disagree on how prevelant the organised type has been, this season and in past seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Firmino, super player. Loved him in Germany, gutted he went to them.

1st in sprints as evidence of his ability, **** off.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Soccer is about putting a ball in the back of the net, or stopping a ball getting into the back of the net.

Usain Bolt was first in sprints...

Who watches soccer to see sprinters?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement