Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

adox wrote: »
    Yeah...eh....I'm changing from iOS to Android.

The deed is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The deed is done.

You won't regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The deed is done.

You use to be cool

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

This whole "who cares about sprinting" thing is fairly stupid. The ability to run about a lot is fundamentally important to winning football matches.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Soccer is about putting a ball in the back of the net, or stopping a ball getting into the back of the net.

Usain Bolt was first in sprints...

Who watches soccer to see sprinters?

:pac:

Reminds me of this...

Pro. F wrote: »
    This whole "who cares about sprinting" thing is fairly stupid. The ability to run about a lot is fundamentally important to winning football matches.

Of course the ability to run is vital, I think it was just the manner in which sprints were brought up today which is why they got jumped on. Plus, to be honest, it's not a stat I see posted too regularly when trying to big-up a player or team. Seems a little desperate in this context, even if it is important to the fundamentals of playing the game and winning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Word seems to be the wage is £75,000 a week, with a possibility of being £100,000 with bonuses, depending on how he preforms.

Is it too much? Probably. But he's been an important member of the team, has worked ****ing hard, possibly harder than people making double is wage still. Should be an incentive to the younger players to keep working hard and you get rewarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »

Did you have a nice sleep all day today Lord zerks? ;)

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Word seems to be the wage is £75,000 a week, with a possibility of being £100,000 with bonuses, depending on how he preforms.

Is it too much? Probably. But he's been an important member of the team, has worked ****ing hard, possibly harder than people making double is wage still. Should be an incentive to the younger players to keep working hard and you get rewarded.

I think performance incentives to make it to 100k makes sense to be fair.

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »

Smartass. It's confirmed by the club now, thats why I posted it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Can we all just agree no footballer on the planet deserves to make tens/hundreds of thousands a week and get over it. We don't ask whether a lottery winner deserves it.

Have to laugh at Griezmann....

In an interview he is asked about united and he says he is fed up having to clarify his situation all the time he says "it would be a dream to play in england but he sees himself staying in Spain"...........

Yes Antoine that really puts it to bed haha....

GSPfan wrote: »
    Can we all just agree no footballer on the planet deserves to make tens/hundreds of thousands a week and get over it. We don't ask whether a lottery winner deserves it.

Why don't we just agree on everything and close the thread? No fun in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

jayo26 wrote: »

Speaking of sleep,I should be there now but instead I'm watching The Class Of 92 on ITV.

For all you still up,Lewandowski is the latest name to be thrown onto the transfer merry go round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I'm pretty disgusted by the manager's comments on Luke Shaw. Fair enough if he wants to say the player needs to work harder but to be so undermining and insulting was really dreadful. It's probably the worst thing I've heard a manager say about his own player in public and I don't think it's a 'bad cop routine' because I can't see how embarrassing someone to such an extent can do anything positive for their state of mind.

And the results don't bother me as much as some people. I defended Van Gaal because I thought he was a person worth defending.

I won't defend Jose Mourinho. He is a nasty operator and I hope he moves on as soon as possible, and we can get a positive thinking manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Telegraph (James Ducker) has reported Lingard's wages is 75K.

Whatever sky wanted, it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Telegraph (James Ducker) has reported Lingard's wages is 75K.

Whatever sky wanted, it worked.

That's probably about right considering he is young and English. Still way too much for what is a fairly one dimensional player (imo) Its mad how mental the wages have gone. Remember the Keano negotiations when they wanted to pay him a max of £40k odd and he was holding out for £50k.

What kind of salary would he command nowadays.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    That's probably about right considering he is young and English. Still way too much for what is a fairly one dimensional player (imo) Its mad how mental the wages have gone. Remember the Keano negotiations when they wanted to pay him a max of £40k odd and he was holding out for £50k.

What kind of salary would he command nowadays.

You can't compare like that. At that time ManUtd's revenue was around 100M - 110M, now our revenue is more than 500 Million.

Coincidentally our best players are making 5 times what Keane made at that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

I'm pretty disgusted by the manager's comments on Luke Shaw. Fair enough if he wants to say the player needs to work harder but to be so undermining and insulting was really dreadful. It's probably the worst thing I've heard a manager say about his own player in public and I don't think it's a 'bad cop routine' because I can't see how embarrassing someone to such an extent can do anything positive for their state of mind.

And the results don't bother me as much as some people. I defended Van Gaal because I thought he was a person worth defending.

I won't defend Jose Mourinho. He is a nasty operator and I hope he moves on as soon as possible, and we can get a positive thinking manager.

Hard to disagree with you... just don't get him at all. Must have loved the circus when he was younger...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

It's a little strange he says the players are suffering with poor confidence while at the same time publicly criticising players. I wish he would just do bland one dimensional interviews, when he first came to England Jose could win no matter what he said but now it's the opposite.

I know he is trying to get reactions but there are more ways to do it than that.

duffman13 wrote: »
    It's a little strange he says the players are suffering with poor confidence while at the same time publicly criticising players. I wish he would just do bland one dimensional interviews, when he first came to England Jose could win no matter what he said but now it's the opposite.

I know he is trying to get reactions but there are more ways to do it than that.

Tbf to Jose, he praised Shaw a lot in that interview and Jose said "I tell you because I told him already"

• Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Tbf to Jose, he praised Shaw a lot in that interview and Jose said "I tell you because I told him already"

And he managed to get a reaction out of him, on and off the ptich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

duffman13 wrote: »

I think any praise there was is meaningless when we consider the nature of the criticism. It's patronising actually.

Also, I don't see why it matters if he told him already. That doesn't mean he has to demean the player in public.

Like I said, suggesting a player is lazy is one thing. Suggesting a player is like the village idiot of the club is bullying and uncalled for. If he truly thinks that then just sell him but don't make a fool out of him.

Jose would be better off learning how to coach a team how to play in the oppositions' half of the field. He knows how to organise and build a unit but when we have possession in the final third it is abundantly obvious that Jose doesn't have a clue how to make attacking plays. He just buys top players and hopes for individual magic. It's disorganised chaos when we attack and it's putrid to watch.

The Express:

The agent of Ndidi at Leicester is putting it out there that his client will force a move if United come in for him.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    The Express:

The agent of Ndidi at Leicester is putting it out there that his client will force a move if United come in for him.

I wish he ndidnt......

I'll leave now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

You can't compare like that. At that time ManUtd's revenue was around 100M - 110M, now our revenue is more than 500 Million.

Coincidentally our best players are making 5 times what Keane made at that time.

And 3 to 4 times what Jese is reportedly making.

Do posters thing that the top 30 execs at Microsoft earn the same money as their counterparts over at SAP for example ?

He plays for Manchester United of course he'll earn more than a player with similar ability at a lesser club.

The reaction to this contract extension is laughable for a player who's had a huge part to play in the 2 trophy's we have won in the the past 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The Express:

Poor from the express and I'd expect nothing else. He has already rubbished it on twitter. Getting their news from twitter but not checking the actual players tweets :D

https://twitter.com/ndidi25/status/850008279401082881

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I think any praise there was is meaningless when we consider the nature of the criticism. It's patronising actually.

Also, I don't see why it matters if he told him already. That doesn't mean he has to demean the player in public.

Like I said, suggesting a player is lazy is one thing. Suggesting a player is like the village idiot of the club is bullying and uncalled for. If he truly thinks that then just sell him but don't make a fool out of him.

Jose would be better off learning how to coach a team how to play in the oppositions' half of the field. He knows how to organise and build a unit but when we have possession in the final third it is abundantly obvious that Jose doesn't have a clue how to make attacking plays. He just buys top players and hopes for individual magic. It's disorganised chaos when we attack and it's putrid to watch.

Depends on your agenda against the manager.

He said Shaw played a good game but should improve his tactical awareness, he is 21 and by this time he should have learnt it and now he will help him to become better player. Big deal, player himself has no problem with that so not sure why many are trying to make soap opera out of it.

Yeah the manager who has won loads and has one of the best CVs doesn't have clue on attacking play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Depends on your agenda against the manager.

He said Shaw played a good game but should improve his tactical awareness, he is 21 and by this time he should have learnt it and now he will help him to become better player. Big deal, player himself has no problem with that so not sure why many are trying to make soap opera out of it.

Yeah the manager who has won loads and has one of the best CVs doesn't have clue on attacking play

he said the player had a good game because Jose was on the touchline beside constantly telling him where to be and what to do - that the player is physically gifted but is 'so far behind' in understanding the game and only played well because Jose acted as his brain. It is a world away from how you have painted it, imo, and was quite frankly shocking.

Has anybody thought that maybe Shaw is actually a bit thick and all this defence of him is in vain.

Has anybody thought that maybe Shaw is actually a bit thick and all this defence of him is in vain.

That is possible.

Jose could be completely truthful on Shaw being a poor reader of the game and poor positionally (not something that was apparent at Southampton) - Jose could be 100% right - but that isn't the point nor is it justification for Jose being so down right mean about him.

Jose could have simply said he was happy with how Shaw played but he needs to perform that way consistently. There was no need for Jose to take all the credit for his performance and basically call the kid an idiot.

he said the player had a good game because Jose was on the touchline beside constantly telling him where to be and what to do - that the player is physically gifted but is 'so far behind' in understanding the game and only played well because Jose acted as his brain. It is a world away from how you have painted it, imo, and was quite frankly shocking.

Jose praised his overall qualities saying he is physically strong, technically very good.

Even in my post I said: He said Shaw played a good game but should improve his tactical awareness, he is 21 and by this time he should have learnt it and now he will help him to become better player

more or less what I said you said in different words.

Like I said Jose said he has already talked to the player, so if player doesn't have problem not sure why fans have the issue.

Jose praised Depay a lot and then sold him. I would rather he says harsh words about Shaw to improve than praise him and sell him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Best of health to Andy, may his transplant be a complete success.
    I remember when he transferred from Newcastle. I was so excited, I think Kane is his modern day comparison, very clinical in front of goal.

Jose also said
    His contribution was good. He improved the team. What was good for him, I think he goes today with a positive feeling because his performance was positive and I am happy with what he gave us.

But this doesn't make a good story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

who gives a **** what he says. he's not there to pander to the media. all that matters is results and their personal relationship.

similar to when utd beat boro. he walked down the tunnel - for shame!! we didnt see him shake hands with the opposing manager. the outrage over it. why? if i told you he had a glass of very expensive red with agnew would that change anything?

**** pandering to the media. get on with the job and win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Shaw probably is thick, but who cares, nobody says stephen hawkings is **** at football!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    Shaw probably is thick, but who cares, nobody says stephen hawkings is **** at football!!

fake-hands.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Mane is out for the season. I said it while watching the tackle he hurt himself in that I'd be shocked if he didn't damage something.

Don't wish serious injury on any player but that will affect them badly. If Arsenal can get their act together, as they always do, I reckon ourselves and Liverpool will miss out on CL.

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »

Where is the love it button?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

GSPfan wrote: »
    Mane is out for the season. I said it while watching the tackle he hurt himself in that I'd be shocked if he didn't damage something.

Don't wish serious injury on any player but that will affect them badly. If Arsenal can get their act together, as they always do, I reckon ourselves and Liverpool will miss out on CL.

I think they've only been out of the top 4 once in the last 10 years at this point of the season. They've haven't been in this league position with so much negativity around the club in a long time, I can't see them finishing top 4 to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

RobertKK wrote: »
    Best of health to Andy, may his transplant be a complete success.
    I remember when he transferred from Newcastle. I was so excited, I think Kane is his modern day comparison, very clinical in front of goal.

This made me laugh today because you instantly recall the abuse he got for needing loads of chances to score :D:D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

One thing I always liked about Cole was how he matured as a player at United. he was a poacher when we signed him - a goalscorer. By the time he left his link up, approach play, interplay and passing had improved massively. He was a far more rounded player. He trained and developed very well.

That goal vs Barcelona - one of my favourite goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

One thing I always liked about Cole was how he matured as a player at United. he was a poacher when we signed him - a goalscorer. By the time he left his link up, approach play, interplay and passing had improved massively. He was a far more rounded player. He trained and developed very well.

That goal vs Barcelona - one of my favourite goals.

And survived a rocky start to his career when he couldn't hit a barn door. Took character to come thro that. Yorke's arrival came at the perfect time too, raised his level for the treble year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

This made me laugh today because you instantly recall the abuse he got for needing loads of chances to score :D:D

I know what you mean but u think it was a couple of games that caused him to get that reputation. His chances to goals ratio was actually brilliant iirc

On the Shaw comments, whatever side of the fence you are on I think Jose is being mis represented on here when he is accused of calling Shaw the village idiot or his general intellegance or lack of it.

The comments were football related. Shaws understanding of the game, positional sense etc. A mile away from questioning his IQ.

Rooney for instance, who is generally perceived as, and may be not the brightest, has a great football brain and a brilliant understanding of the game. Had it since he was a teenager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

Hardly good for Shaw's confidence though, hard to marry this with the fact that he made his England debut so young.. a lot of the younger players have regressed this season which is a bit worrying.
    On Mourinho complaining about visiting teams parking the bus at OT....hardly a new concept. Those same teams park buses at City, Chelsea, pool, spurs, Arsenal. Just get on with it FFS, manage players and coach the team. Keep dirty linen indoors, :(.

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    Hardly good for Shaw's confidence though, hard to marry this with the fact that he made his England debut so young.. a lot of the younger players have regressed this season which is a bit worrying.
    On Mourinho complaining about visiting teams parking the bus at OT....hardly a new concept. Those same teams park buses at City, Chelsea, pool, spurs, Arsenal. Just get on with it FFS, manage players and coach the team. Keep dirty linen indoors, :(.

That has nothing to do with what I was trying to say though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement