Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭secman

adox wrote: »
    That has nothing to do with what I was trying to say though.

Fixed that Adrian :)

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Depends on your agenda against the manager.

He said Shaw played a good game but should improve his tactical awareness, he is 21 and by this time he should have learnt it and now he will help him to become better player. Big deal, player himself has no problem with that so not sure why many are trying to make soap opera out of it.

Yeah the manager who has won loads and has one of the best CVs doesn't have clue on attacking play
    Jose also said

But this doesn't make a good story.

We know what Jose said. Some are going through hoops trying to shoot down criticism of his Shaw comments the other night and/or reword them so it didn't sound like "...yeah but he was playing with my brain."

Whatever about some posters using strong words like 'disgusting' and 'classless' and killing the chances of any form of reasonable debate before it even begins, there are those of us who just thought it was a bit bizarre and not ideal in such a public manner. it doesn't have to mean there's an agenda. It doesn't mean it was a watershed moment in Jose's tenure, it doesn't mean we want Jose out, it doesn't mean it's a travesty or a disgrace, it doesn't mean that it proves the "He will alienate players" brigade correct. It's just a criticism.

It's a common theme I've seen developing in here - There can be some really condescending posts when it comes to 'defending' Mourinho against those who even respectfully criticise him. "Big deal, player himself has no problem with that so not sure why many are trying to make soap opera out of it" is an example.

Jose did say some nice things about Shaw the other night, there are some promising things to take from it - Shaw's not destined for the exit door just yet, Jose likes him, Jose working so close with him says that he his trying to help him when he could just banish him to the reserves if he didn't care, he has hope for Shaw. For all we knew a few days ago from media reports, Luke Shaw called a clear-the-air meeting, and then in the next game he is getting his first minutes in a month. There are plenty of positives there.

That's why it seemed quite bizarre for Jose to go down that road publicly. There was an element of "Just because you say 'with all due respect', doesn't make the things you say after it any better" to it.

Anyway, it's done, and hopefully Shaw will be the better for it. There's just a fine line between lighting a fire under a player and burning him at the stake. Not saying that Jose did the latter, just hopefully he's doing the former.

It also has to be remembered that Jose made these comments in the aftermath of a disappointing result. I don't mean that at all in the 'deflection tactics' sense, just that he is a passionate and emotional man. It's in these after-match interviews and press conferences, after a result he is disappointed with, when his most controversial comments can come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,592 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That goal vs Barcelona - one of my favourite goals.

Not bad :p

Get well soon Andy (he'll always be Andy to us!)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Why did Cantona have his Collar up? To keep the Cole of his back.

One of the hundred Jokes about Andy Cole from 1995-96

Then he has his 2 legs broken. Comes back only 3 months later and scores on his comeback against Forest.

97/98 we start to see the real Andy Cole and when Yorke is signed its the perfect Patnership.

He played on the Left Wing, he played as Attacking Midfielder, False Nine as well as striker.

His Goal Scoring average was better then Shearer from open play.

If you're looking for a role model for a kid you need look no further.

And a fantastic humble person on the field and off it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/850460729392148480

Interesting to think whether things like this motivate some players. Very hard to know for sure especially with the luxuries players receive nowadays

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Just seen a link on bookface that said united have been made an offer of

James Rodriguez and varane plus 20 million for de gea now I know it more then likely aint true because it was a clickbate link but would anyone take it?

I actually would I think it would be a great deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Jayop wrote: »
    I know what you mean but u think it was a couple of games that caused him to get that reputation. His chances to goals ratio was actually brilliant iirc

It was of course largely unfounded, I think he may have been a 1 in 5 chance guy but his goal scoring rate and consistency over his time at the club was brilliant.

The West Ham game that cost us a league title had a lot to do with it I'd say.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Once again, Jose is talking about Hernandez

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/850461405337833473

Interesting from Jose "I think @CH14_ would have 20 goals easy, even from bench for 20 mins. He is guy ball comes naturally to. Boom. Goal."

Full quotes...

“I think clearly if you go for example for Paul Pogba, the number of times he's hit the posts are almost Guinness Book of Records,†Mourinho explained.
    “Some of those would have been amazing goals. I remember a couple of direct free-kicks hitting the post, so we've seen lots of beautiful actions. It's not a problem of quality at all, it's a problem of luck.

“They are good players, they are creative players, they can create, but naturally they are not the kind of guy that is a killer.

“I give a simple example. In the way we play at Old Trafford, in the way we dominate opponents in the way we play in the box, I think 'Chicharito' would have 20 goals easy, even coming from the bench for the last 10 or 20 minutes.

“He is the guy that naturally the ball comes here, rebound here, rebounds there, boom - goal.

“If the goalkeeper saves it, he goes there, boom - goal. If the cross is coming, he anticipates the first post header - goal. And that's not even coming off the bench.â€

When asked if he would be signing an experienced striker in the summer, Mourinho replied: “I cannot buy a striker more experience than Zlatan!"
    He added: “We have Marcus, we believe in, that's no doubt. Are we going to buy a striker? Maybe, maybe.â€

jayo26 wrote: »
    Just seen a link on bookface that said united have been made an offer of

James Rodriguez and varane plus 20 million for de gea now I know it more then likely aint true because it was a clickbate link but would anyone take it?

I actually would I think it would be a great deal.

I cant believe Rodriquez would be a Jose type player seems even too lazy to make the Real team. Mind that is mainly wild conjecture on my part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I cant believe Rodriquez would be a Jose type player seems even too lazy to make the Real team. Mind that is mainly wild conjecture on my part

Wild the conjecture may be but I agree with either you, Jose or both of ye. James is too slow and relaxed about hard work for the premier league i would have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think any praise there was is meaningless when we consider the nature of the criticism. It's patronising actually.

Also, I don't see why it matters if he told him already. That doesn't mean he has to demean the player in public.

Like I said, suggesting a player is lazy is one thing. Suggesting a player is like the village idiot of the club is bullying and uncalled for. If he truly thinks that then just sell him but don't make a fool out of him.

Jose would be better off learning how to coach a team how to play in the oppositions' half of the field. He knows how to organise and build a unit but when we have possession in the final third it is abundantly obvious that Jose doesn't have a clue how to make attacking plays. He just buys top players and hopes for individual magic. It's disorganised chaos when we attack and it's putrid to watch.

Depends on your agenda against the manager.

He said Shaw played a good game but should improve his tactical awareness, he is 21 and by this time he should have learnt it and now he will help him to become better player. Big deal, player himself has no problem with that so not sure why many are trying to make soap opera out of it.

Yeah the manager who has won loads and has one of the best CVs doesn't have clue on attacking play

My agenda is that I don't like Jose's personality and think he's a bit of a cnut. I wouldn't call it an agenda myself, more of an opinion.

If you could explain to me what Jose's attacking methods are or point out the patterns he coaches instead of making stupid sarcastic comments that would be great. All I can see is that he builds solid teams and relies on world class players to figure out how to create opportunities by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

My agenda is that I don't like Jose's personality and think he's a bit of a cnut. I wouldn't call it an agenda myself, more of an opinion.

If you could explain to me what Jose's attacking methods are or point out the patterns he coaches instead of making stupid sarcastic comments that would be great. All I can see is that he builds solid teams and relies on world class players to figure out how to create opportunities by themselves.

Eh? Go and watch highlights of our drawn games against Burnley, Stoke and so many other games and you see the pattern. You see the one touch passing between Pogba, Zlatan, Mata and others.

Oh Jose relies on World class players to build attacks, Poor managers like Pep, Conte, Ancelotti relies on **** players to build attack.

We don't always play in the same style, we mix up in the games like we always did in years.

Yeah his Chelsea, Madrid, Inter teams just created chances themselves, if you don't see how stupid that comment then I can't help you.

You don't like Jose and you see only the negatives in him or whatever he says will be taken in negative way. Simple as that.

Wild the conjecture may be but I agree with either you, Jose or both of ye. James is too slow and relaxed about hard work for the premier league i would have thought.

In what way is he slow or relaxed for an attacking player?

I don't see enough of him but he always looks like a bit of a genius to me.

He isn't. He was one of the hardest worker for Ancelotti when he was played regularly.

Think the fella has no turn of pace whatsoever and we already have a slow enough midfield. If we are going for a luxury player he'd need to have pace.

Think the fella has no turn of pace whatsoever and we already have a slow enough midfield. If we are going for a luxury player he'd need to have pace.

You need players who have good footballing brain too.

Also in Liverpool team except Mane their starting players (Henderson, Firmino, Lallana, Coutinho) doesn't have raw pace but they play and move the ball so quickly and it looks like they play at 100 mph speed.

We need quick thinking players rather than quick players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Also in Liverpool team except Mane their starting players (Henderson, Firmino, Lallana, Coutinho) doesn't have raw pace but they play and move the ball so quickly and it looks like they play at 100 mph speed.

Firmino is first in sprints though.

Obviously they need to be intelligent in the footballing sense as well. Liverpool's midfield is much faster than ours, in raw speed and speed of thought.

I don't think James is the kind of player we need at all.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Firmino is first in sprints though.

Sprints doesn't mean quick.

Edit: Maybe missing the sarcasm here.

• Advertisement

Obviously they need to be intelligent in the footballing sense as well. Liverpool's midfield is much faster than ours, in raw speed and speed of thought.

I don't think James is the kind of player we need at all.

Martial, Mkhitaryan, Pogba are all quick players, even Lingard. Like I said we look slow because we don't move the ball quicker.

Whether he is slow or relaxed I donno but every year considering he is a bit part player he has very good statistics for assists and goals.

I always imagined a jose team has a front four of one strong striker and 3 creative attacking midfielders and scorers behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I think there's two tough games this weekend for the top 6 teams. Liverpool travelling to Stoke, and United away to the worst team in the league.

I'd expect Liverpool to get past Stoke if I'm honest but United will most likely struggle which is sad considering the opposition.

I see the other 4 teams winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

GSPfan wrote: »
    I think there's two tough games this weekend for the top 6 teams. Liverpool travelling to Stoke, and United away to the worst team in the league.

I'd expect Liverpool to get past Stoke if I'm honest but United will most likely struggle which is sad considering the opposition.

I see the other 4 teams winning.

Looks like Liverpool will be missing Coutinho aswell.I await the others to slip up and then feckin' Moyes to have a miraculous result on Sunday-story of our season.

zerks wrote: »
    Looks like Liverpool will be missing Coutinho aswell.I await the others to slip up and then feckin' Moyes to have a miraculous result on Sunday-story of our season.

Sounds about right.

Seeing as we won't get top 4 I'm hoping the Arse go on a run and sneak past LFC.

Not only does it screw LFC over it also pretty much guarantees Wenger will get at least another year.

Every cloud and all that.

Thursday is the big one for us.

I'll only get excited about the league again if we manage to close the gap this weekend but I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Meh our away form has been grand. Not worried in the slightest. Plus I won't miss it after missing the last three matches

astradave wrote: »
    Meh our away form has been grand. Not worried in the slightest. Plus I won't miss it after missing the last three matches

Home Matches
    16 played.
    6 wins
    9 draws
    1 loss
    Position in Table: 10th

Away Matches
    13 played
    8 wins
    3 draws
    2 losses
    Position in Table: 3rd

I know we still have some of the bigger teams to play away, but yeah, our away form actually is better.

http://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Home Matches
    16 played.
    6 wins
    9 draws
    1 loss
    Position in Table: 10th

Away Matches
    13 played
    8 wins
    3 draws
    2 losses
    Position in Table: 3rd

I know we still have some of the bigger teams to play away, but yeah, our away form actually is better.

http://www.soccerstats.com/homeaway.asp?league=england

Never thought I'd say this but thankfully 6 of our last 9 are away from home! What a weird season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Watching Spurs here demolishing Watford 3-0 at WHL. I don think Spurs have had a shot on target from inside the box. All 3 of their goals were scored from outside the D.

When's the last time we scored a goal from outside the box?

Tottenham are a joy to watch. Not a one man team either as they've hardly missed Harry Kane. Luckily next year they'll be at Wembley and they can't seem to perform there.

Quandary wrote: »
    Watching Spurs here demolishing Watford 3-0 at WHL. I don think Spurs have had a shot on target from inside the box. All 3 of their goals were scored from outside the D.

When's the last time we scored a goal from outside the box?

Was Lingards vs Middlesbrough outside?

Was Lingards vs Middlesbrough outside?

Think it was now that you mention it :)

We still should have a few more goals form long range though. Pogba has shown he can do it before. Against a tightly packed defence, a few decent quality shots from distance would be very welcome. They mightn't result in a goal directly but even drawing a decent save from the keeper could spill the ball in the box.

Quandary wrote: »
    Think it was now that you mention it :)

We still should have a few more goals form long range though. Pogba has shown he can do it before. Against a tightly packed defence, a few decent quality shots from distance would be very welcome. They mightn't result in a goal directly but even drawing a decent save from the keeper could spill the ball in the box.

To be honest I can't remember any other within the last 5 to 10 games excluding free kicks of course. Spurs stat is 7 from outside the box in 6 matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

That's exactly it, we don't seem to take shots except for when the ball is crossed into the six yard box and needs to be knocked in. Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and City all have goalscoring midfielders. Apart from Mata our midfield has been poor for many seasons now in the goalscoring area

ParkRunner wrote: »
    That's exactly it, we don't seem to take shots except for when the ball is crossed into the six yard box and needs to be knocked in. Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and City all have goalscoring midfielders. Apart from Mata our midfield has been poor for many seasons now in the goalscoring area

Thats not true we take lots of shots from outside the box it's just apart from pogba who has been unlucky hitting posts a lot we have no one with a decent long shot.

Edit: id maybe include Jesse he does seem to have got a couple for us from long range.

Liverpool are missing Mane, Coutinho(bench), and Firmino(bench) today. Interesting.

Their squad is very thin. They'll struggle next year with Champions/Europa League unless they buy a rake of players in the Summer.

Jose: "Young injured, Rooney unavailable".

Has Rooney booked a couple of days off? " Unavailable " not injured???

Liverpool are missing Mane, Coutinho(bench), and Firmino(bench) today. Interesting.

Their squad is very thin. They'll struggle next year with Champions/Europa League unless they buy a rake of players in the Summer.

They are top of the European thinnest squad table at the moment so can't be that bad a thing.

#achievements

• Advertisement

Jose: "Young injured, Rooney unavailable".

Has Rooney booked a couple of days off? " Unavailable " not injured???

Was the wife's birthday they went to McDonald's.

They won't buy a rake of players,they'll be linked to £50 and £60 million players but will buy some prospects,another Southampton player and a half decent fella from the Bundesliga for about £20 million who'll get injured preseason and become almost God like amongst their fans while he recovers only to come into the team at Christmas and turn out to be kinda crap.

Good man Walters.

Good man Walters.

Did you get him to cut your grass?

Did you get him to cut your grass?

Cleaned my windows.

Fierce sound fella.

I swear to God, I'm reopening my account with Paddy Powers and lumping on Sunderland of things stick the way they are...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

We all know things won't stay as they are... Don't do it to yourselves lads :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

We all know things won't stay as they are... Don't do it to yourselves lads :(

Even if they do, it just means we're gonna f**k up and embarrass ourselves tomorrow

I've no faith in us whatsoever to be able to capitalise on other teams slip ups. Liverpool will get 4th quite comfortably IMO. We certainly won't be the ones to beat them to it anyway. 5th or 6th is where we will finish, we have seen nothing since Christmas to indicate we will start getting more ruthless.

The only benefit with Liverpool losing the odd match is a few moments of sweet schadenfreude which ultimately get washed away by our own impotence in the next match.

I have nothing but pessimism about how this season will finish for us. Winning the Europa League is our only semi realistic chance at salvaging our season.

Hopefully I'm being overly negative :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Liverpool equaliser but no matter we will **** up tomorrow

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement