Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ugh, that's a cracking finish from Firminho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Yup sick!

Federico Macheda, whatever happened to him since then, he produced one of the most memorable moments for me as a United fan with that winner against Villa.

ESPN have an interview with him, it's quite a good read if anyone cares to give it the 10 minutes...

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/espn-fc-united-blog/68/post/3098192/federico-macheda-tells-his-story-from-manchester-united-to-novara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

When I seen them two goals go on I think I caught the virus that Coutinho had haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

jayo26 wrote: »
    When I seen them two goals go on I think I caught the virus that Coutinho had haha.

That winning bug is it. Lot of utd players wish they had it

niallo27 wrote: »

Haha chief sh1t talker turns up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

What was the cure in January/February?

• niallo27 wrote: »

LOL Niallo, have a few pints lad
    Probably better ways to celebrate the win than popping into a Utd thread :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

top four is gone as far as I am concerned. Amazing to think we added Pogba and Zlatan to the team but couldn't break into the top 4. Hopefully we can do it in the Europa League.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

user2011 wrote: »
    What was the cure in January/February?

More cowbell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

When lots of people are laughing at Liverpool and Firmino and they win again with Firmino scoring the winner, shít talk is justified.

dubmick wrote: »
    top four is gone as far as I am concerned. Amazing to think we added Pogba and Zlatan to the team but couldn't break into the top 4. Hopefully we can do it in the Europa League.

Its disappointing yep but as you say hopefully we do it in Europe and next year hopefully the players we added this year will be settled and in better form.

I get the feeling Zlatan is waiting to see how champions league qualification goes before he comits himself to another year.

Jose said at the start of November that there was no discussions with Zlatan needed he would automatically be getting a new contract extension it would kick in bit the tune has changed so I imagine it was an auto renewal if we qualified for champions league.

J. Marston wrote: »
    When lots of people are laughing at Liverpool and Firmino and they win again with Firmino scoring the winner, shít talk is justified.

Of course it is but half the fun is fighting back ;) all good craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

More cowbell?

Answer a question with a question, have a pint on me.

• user2011 wrote: »
    Answer a question with a question, have a pint on me.

e5dc14e9b3ded87ffdf1a1c3a96480bc_-simply-have-enough-cowbell-more-cowbell-meme_551-325.jpeg

• Advertisement

Yep, we might have to take this one on the chin and begrudgingly say 'fair play'.

There was a bit of craic a few days ago and there'll be more again, but Firmino scored the winner today after galloping away from the Stoke defence.

That was actually a good win for them. For the record it was zerks who jinxed it in the thread! Though maybe he was congratulating Walters for the Bosnia goals :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I don't think anyone was laughing at Firmino directly. More MD putting up a meme using 1st in sprints as a means to show he is good.

Exactly opelastradave it wasn't Firminho it was the stats he used as I said at the time if he had to of used his goals scored and assist stats to argue his point it would if been better because they are actually quiet good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

zerks wrote: »
    They won't buy a rake of players,they'll be linked to £50 and £60 million players but will buy some prospects,another Southampton player and a half decent fella from the Bundesliga for about £20 million who'll get injured preseason and become almost God like amongst their fans while he recovers only to come into the team at Christmas and turn out to be kinda crap.

And then finish ahead of united after mourinho spends eleventy billion pounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

#justice4bobby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Rod Munch wrote: »
    #justice4bobby

Except when it comes to his taste in jackets :

C84_4cDXoAAA_-7.jpg

astradave wrote: »
    I don't think anyone was laughing at Firmino directly. More MD putting up a meme using 1st in sprints as a means to show he is good.

Absolutely, I said similar a couple of days ago, but there's just a bit of irony to it which would be blind not to acknowledge.

Closer to our own interests, funny enough I'm looking forward to the Sunderland and Anderlecht games. Sure, there's probably 2 draws on the way, but I actually feel more positive about away games at the moment than any at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

http://tbrfootball.com/why-jose-mourinhos-treatment-of-manchester-uniteds-luke-shaw-is-warranted/

Article supporting mourinho's treatment of Shaw. Had completely forgotten that LVG had him doing extra fitness work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

stankratz wrote: »
    Yep, we might have to take this one on the chin and begrudgingly say 'fair play'.

There was a bit of craic a few days ago and there'll be more again, but Firmino scored the winner today after galloping away from the Stoke defence.

That was actually a good win for them. For the record it was zerks who jinxed it in the thread! Though maybe he was congratulating Walters for the Bosnia goals :pac:

Never!!!!

If I want to be a miserable bastard with them winning I have every right to be :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

For the record it was zerks who jinxed it in the thread! Though maybe he was congratulating Walters for the Bosnia goals :pac:

:pac: i just burst out laughing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Of course the ability to run is vital, I think it was just the manner in which sprints were brought up today which is why they got jumped on. Plus, to be honest, it's not a stat I see posted too regularly when trying to big-up a player or team. Seems a little desperate in this context, even if it is important to the fundamentals of playing the game and winning.

Not being a stat that's seen regularly is no excuse. It is just dumb to dismiss number of sprints as something worth comparing in forwards these days.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Not being a stat that's seen regularly is no excuse. It is just dumb to dismiss number of sprints as something worth comparing in forwards these days.

Ahh stop just because a player has a high number of Sprints dont make him a good player.

It's a statistic that doesn't necessarily mean he is good but it's a good attribute to have its like saying he is the tallest man in the league bit it dont mean he is good at heading the ball same as having the most sprints don't mean he is sprinting in the right direction.

No one was mocking Firminho yesterday it was just the pure randomness of the statistics that we had a bit of fun with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

SHUSH NOW BOYS

ITS A NUMBERS GAME

Shaw is in the match day squad again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sure United won a trophy last February, and another last May.
    I think you confused United with your own team, how many trophies in the past 12 months has your team won?

To get one up on the opposition, telling them they don't have the winning bug, when they won two trophies in the past 12 months and your team have won zero in the same period, ranks as an epic fail.

But it gave me pleasure saying we won 2 trophies in the past 12 months.
    Oh the beautiful memories of winning trophies...and I am not even counting the community shield...which United also won.
    Thanks for the good memories of winning things, niallo27 :)

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sure United won a trophy last February, and another last May.
    I think you confused United with your own team, how many trophies in the past 12 months has your team won?

To get one up on the opposition, telling them they don't have the winning bug, when they won two trophies in the past 12 months and your team have won zero in the same period, ranks as an epic fail.

But it gave me pleasure saying we won 2 trophies in the past 12 months.
    Oh the beautiful memories of winning trophies...and I am not even counting the community shield...which United also won.
    Thanks for the good memories of winning things, niallo27 :)

Would you cop on Liverpool have won the league 3 times this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mata likes to go to a country pub and have a nice beef pie,he doesn't like fish and chips though.

http://www.kicca.com/juan-mata-english-food/#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

M!Ck^ wrote: »

The only one left with the winning bug in his team is Henderson.:pac:

Would you cop on Liverpool have won the league 3 times this season.

awh brilliant :D

I didn't use the fact that it wasn't seen regularly to dismiss its importance,

Prof, you know exactly what was going on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Ah don't take me too serious. I'm harmless really

• niallo27 wrote: »
    Ah don't take me too serious. I'm harmless really

I hardly ever do ;)

Ahh stop just because a player has a high number of Sprints dont make him a good player.

It's a statistic that doesn't necessarily mean he is good but it's a good attribute to have its like saying he is the tallest man in the league bit it dont mean he is good at heading the ball same as having the most sprints don't mean he is sprinting in the right direction.

Being good at running about is infinitely more important than being tall because it is more applicable to the sport. Number of sprints is a very good indication of a forward's work-rate (which is important even without any further qualification), height is not a good indication of a player's heading ability.

I didn't use the fact that it wasn't seen regularly to dismiss its importance,

Prof, you know exactly what was going on there.

I do indeed. People dismissing important aspects of football for no good reason.

• Advertisement

Being good at running about is infinitely more important than being tall because it is more applicable to the sport. Number of sprints is a very good indication of a forward's work-rate (which is important even without any further qualification), height is not a good indication of a player's heading ability.

Exactly I said height isn't an indication of heading ability same as sprinting is not an indication of anything apart from that he can run around alot.

I can run out on a pitch and sprint about in any direction that dont mean Im running in the right places or making worthwhile runs I could be running back after a ball and not making it and then not where I should be when my team is attacking.

Exactly I said height isn't an indication of heading ability same as sprinting is not an indication of anything apart from that he can run around alot.

I can run out on a pitch and sprint about in any direction that dont mean Im running in the right places or making worthwhile runs I could be running back after a ball and not making it and then not where I should be when my team is attacking.

You could say the same about any important attribute. Heading for example. If you could measure heading ability (not height) and find that a forward was excellent at it, you could still doubt whether he achieved anything with his headers. Or technique, same again. A player could have excellent technique, but you could doubt whether he achieved anything with his technique. But - unlike height, which is not important - running, technique, heading are fundamentally important attributes. So even on their own they are still good indications of a player's quality. And the number of sprints wasn't even presented on its own anyway.

You could say the same about any important attribute. Heading for example. If you could measure heading ability (not height) and find that a forward was excellent at it, you could still doubt whether he achieved anything with his headers. Or technique, same again. A player could have excellent technique, but you could doubt whether he achieved anything with his technique. But - unlike height, which is not important - running, technique, heading are fundamentally important attributes. So even on their own they are still good indications of a player's quality. And the number of sprints wasn't even presented on its own anyway.

Height is pretty handy to have infairness if your a defender but not necessary. same as having the most Sprints is not necessarily important if you are intelligent and sprint less but in the right places.

Anyway at the end of the day it was a few facts put together with a tacky picture we decided to have fun at.

In zerks absence today I have been Intrusted with match thread duties so here you go and please appreciate the effort.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057727401/1/#post103166464

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Beat a team in 13th Position = Lets brag about it on the opposition thread.

Height is pretty handy to have infairness if your a defender but not necessary. same as having the most Sprints is not necessarily important if you are intelligent and sprint less but in the right places.

But if a forward is intelligent and sprints more that is a huge advantage, not just handy.

• Advertisement

But if a forward is intelligent and sprints more that is a huge advantage, not just handy.

Yes if he is intelligent and high number of sprints it's advantage but not Sprints on its own so is height with heading accuracy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Man united page on Facebook posted about chico and joses comments, wonder if there is anything in it, bit odd to mention it

Incase anyone still don't know the game is on sky sports mix today.

Yes if he is intelligent and high number of sprints it's advantage but not Sprints on its own so is height with heading accuracy :)

Nope, workrate is just as important as intelligence. Having a lot of either is hugely advantageous, because they're both fundamentally important in the sport. Height is nothing remotely like that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement