Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

José said before the game that Romero is playing in Europa league so the run out today will be good for him. De gea will be ready for chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Team looks spot on. I believe he took a knock but expected to be available Thursday.
    Still worst case Romero is a great goalkeeper to have as reserve IMO

Romero is far too good of a keeper to be number 2 thankfully he's a great replacement for details gea

Jose Mourinho was satisfied with Manchester United's dominant display at the Stadium of Light, where well-taken goals from Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Marcus Rashford secured a comfortable 3-0 win away against 10-man Sunderland.

Here's what the manager said in his post-match interviews with MUTV, Sky Sports and BBC Sport…

A GOOD WIN AGAINST A SAD TEAM
    “The result was good," Jose said. "We resisted the results of yesterday when Manchester City and Liverpool won, they left us in a position of 'yes' or 'no'. It was 'yes'. We got three points and it was a solid display.

"It was against a team that is sad, it's normal. Against a team that is sad, if you score before then it's difficult for them to react. You could feel the negative feeling around the team. That is felt with a team is close to relegation. We started positively. I’m not saying very aggressive in terms of the intensity of our game but comfortable and in control. When you score a goal, you play against a sad team. And when you score before them, normally in these circumstances, you kill the match and in the second half, with the second goal, against 10 men, it was comfortable. Not a brilliant performance but a comfortable one.”

PLEASED FOR LUKE SHAW
    “I took Shaw off because of the yellow card and the pressure from the crowd," Jose said, discussing the recalled left-back. "It was good to protect him but it was also good for him to play one hour with a good solid performance and no mistakes, so I'm really pleased for him.”

THE IMPORTANCE OF ZLATAN'S GOAL
    “It was open at 0-0. We were in control without danger. We were playing quite compact and solid. You need these players to break it. Every team has a couple of them. Zlatan did that. It’s very important and one more goal for him is a beautiful number that he’s getting [28 goals this season]. We felt the game was in our pocket. In this beautiful weather, the game was played at a more slow intensity.”

NOT ALWAYS EASY AGAINST 10 MEN
    “When the 10 men are not losing they can close, they can be more defensive, they can park the bus and defend. When they are losing and they have one player less, they try to attack, they have one player less, they open more spaces and normally you win the game.”

TIMING OF SECOND GOAL WAS PERFECT
    “I told them in the second half we had to go to kill the game. It was under control but we needed the second goal to kill mentally the opponent. But I didn’t expect that it was after one minute. I was thinking it had to be after a solid period of intensity for our attacking football. But we started the game, scored a goal and killed it.”

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2017/Apr/Jose-Mourinho-explains-why-David-De-Gea-missed-the-Sunderland-match.aspx?utm_campaign=ManUtd&utm_medium=post&utm_source=twitter

José on Luke shaw

“He played well, played solid. The opposition was not creating big problems but he was solid and was confident with the ball, going forward with some danger.

A good hour for him. I thought about a half-time change but thought it was too harsh for him.

“I wanted him to play a little bit more. So 2-0, one hour the crowd asking for everything and putting the referee under pressure – no risk. We need him to be available for the next match.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The last line sounds promising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Fellaini captaining United is probably the proudest moment of Moyes' career

• sky88 wrote: »
    Romero is far too good of a keeper to be number 2 thankfully he's a great replacement for details gea

He made a crucial save when the scoreline was 1-0
    Great shot stopper and his distribution is good

Anderlecht managed a 0-0 draw against gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

zerks wrote: »
    Fellaini captaining United is probably the proudest moment of Moyes' career

100% win ratio with Fellaini as captain :p

• Advertisement

I'm thankful not to see Herrera come out of Larsson's challenge with a broken leg. I've looked at the replay a few times, and while I can't be sure of intent from Larsson, it easily could have been a lot worse for Ander.

https://my.mixtape.moe/vgxwzc.mp4

Somehow I knew straight away there was a red coming once Pawson blew the whistle, similar to the last straight red which was shown for a challenge on Herrera about 2 years ago. That 'challenge' at Anfield was more of a sly dig, today's was very nearly in 'not fit for instant replay' territory. Again, hard to attribute definite intent to the offending Larsson, it just could have gone a lot worse for Herrera and thankfully it didn't.

Not to take too much away from the win today, we went 1-0 up before we needed the red card, but until 1-0 it was poor and took a moment of magic from Zlatan to break a deadlock which was beginning to set in.

After the red card, I feel that a genuine Top 4 team would have put that 10-man Sunderland to the sword. The amount of chances we had to go on a counter attack and failed to follow-through because of a serious lack of pace, or a backwards pass, or even a very poor final ball once we did advance, all disappointing to see against such a poor, depleted side.

It's great to get the win, goals for Mkhi and The Rash and a clean sheet, nice to make a dent in the goal difference just on the off-chance GD comes into play later on. However, it was Sunderland, with 10 men for 2/3s of the game. Anything less than 2 or 3-0 was the minimum expected after that early red card and I think we made hard work of getting that result.

Elsewhere - Joe said post-match that he was happy with Shaw's performance, and substituted him because of the yellow card and not because of injury or anything else. I believe that because Jose also substituted Lingard who was also on a yellow card at that stage of the game when the result was secured.

Jose said pre-match that DDG has a minor injury, and should be back "for the next game".

Shout out to Captain Fellaini. "Don't call me Captain Fellaini, I don't have a kids TV show, 'skipper' will do just fine."

Finally to Glenn Hoddle for some of the worst insights and inconsistencies I've ever heard from a commentator. Just one example - When Shaw was substituted on 61 minutes and a yellow card, and only a few minutes after Hoddle himself acknowledged that Shaw took a bit of a knock while making a challenge: "Tut, classic mind-games from Jose, I thought Shaw played well, but there's Jose's mind games to contend with."

Hoddle when Lingard got substituted on 64 minutes and a yellow card, 3 minutes after Shaw: "Well it makes sense, Lingard is on a yellow."

WGl6bzI.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Pat Nevin put the tackle issue well. I can't remember it word for word but it was along the lines of:

If Herrera sees Seb coming at him in a way that means he has to get out of the way or risk bad injury then its not really a tackle.

Some less than positive words from Schneiderlin about LVG, translated from a French interview with L'Equipe...
    The Frenchman told L'Equipe: "This first year with Louis Van Gaal sticks in the throat. I didn't take any pleasure on the pitch.

He left me little freedom in my game, even though I have quite a lot of experience in the Premier League. With him, I felt like a playing robot.

They said to me, "You must never go and get the ball in this part of the pitch, you must not do this, that". These instructions may have disturbed me a little.

When a player wonders during a game "But what does the coach want me to do in this situation?" he begins to be less efficient. Especially at Manchester United, in a context where all matches are scrutinised by the media and where one can quickly be criticised from everywhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

agent Pogba spending some free time with a friend.

http://imgur.com/cqv8wLQ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Another poor performance from him today - and against the worst team in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

stankratz wrote: »
    Some less than positive words from Schneiderlin about LVG, translated from a French interview with L'Equipe...
    The Frenchman told L'Equipe: "This first year with Louis Van Gaal sticks in the throat. I didn't take any pleasure on the pitch.

He left me little freedom in my game, even though I have quite a lot of experience in the Premier League. With him, I felt like a playing robot.

They said to me, "You must never go and get the ball in this part of the pitch, you must not do this, that". These instructions may have disturbed me a little.

When a player wonders during a game "But what does the coach want me to do in this situation?" he begins to be less efficient. Especially at Manchester United, in a context where all matches are scrutinised by the media and where one can quickly be criticised from everywhere.

Shaw can probably empathise with that.

was there anything in the pogba freekick in the game, it looked kinda wierd to me as he just stood over the ball all while it was about to be taken, Zlantan just behind looking like he wanted to take it, never any discussion and just before pobga goes to hit it zlantan backed away no dummy run. or a, i just reading into it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Few players don't like the way coach wants the team and individuals to play and few like it. For example Evans said he learnt more in few months under LVG than all the seasons put together.

IMO Van Gaal tried to change way too much and many of our players didn't respond or simply dumb to carry out instructions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Finally to Glenn Hoddle for some of the worst insights and inconsistencies I've ever heard from a commentator. Just one example - When Shaw was substituted on 61 minutes and a yellow card, and only a few minutes after Hoddle himself acknowledged that Shaw took a bit of a knock while making a challenge: "Tut, classic mind-games from Jose, I thought Shaw played well, but there's Jose's mind games to contend with."

Hoddle when Lingard got substituted on 64 minutes and a yellow card, 3 minutes after Shaw: "Well it makes sense, Lingard is on a yellow."

Hoddle is a terrible commentator and I really dislike him, and for me is a completely over rated everything.

Has the clear guise of a man who was clearly a talented player, but simply cannot fathom how everyone else can't do what he "would do". Obviously at my age I never saw Hoddle so have no idea what he is like, but has the mantra of someone who bought his own hype and therefore is terrible in commentary unable to analysis the actual situation, just complaining about what should have happened, as he would have done it.

Again not sure if he was actually the second coming of Maradona from the way he goes on, but pretty sure he is not.

Can't ever forget the insights from former players about his time as England manager, basically micro managing proffesional players and being condescending. Constant calls for him to get back into coaching are baffling, he looks like he'd be a terrible coach.

Another poor performance from him today - and against the worst team in the league.

No idea why he started today.

He is being run into the ground by Mourinho. When argueably we are getting to the business end of the season and he could do with a rest to get re-invigorated.

Will not be surprised if he picks up another muscle injury shortly. Hopefully gets a big long summer break, comes back into pre-season fresh and hits it hard. Expecting big things from him next season, not because of his price tag or anything, just simply expect him to be much better because he is clearly a world class talent and will have a good summer to recharge.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Few players don't like the way coach wants the team and individuals to play and few like it. For example Evans said he learnt more in few months under LVG than all the seasons put together.

IMO Van Gaal tried to change way too much and many of our players didn't respond or simply dumb to carry out instructions.

Should always be a health warning with quotes from "player who couldn't cut it under manager" has harsh words to say. Herrera was somewhat the same if we remember being a little stinging.

At the end of the day managers are different, some micromanage more then others.

Van Gaal didn't ask anything overly difficult of his midfielders, so really Morgan should have just picked up quickly, he is an intelligent player. Get himself in the team then take it from there.

Sure I think we wasted him entirely, and sure I think Van Gaal was too militant at times, but it was coming from a place of winning a lot of trophies. Players should have trusted him more, especially players who have won nothing in the game.

I'm dieing for one day there being a book or something to learn what Van Gaal was like at United in a more full context.

Koeman on Barkley
    Asked what can be done to ensure Liverpudlian Barkley remains with the blue half of Merseyside, Koeman said: “We offer him a new contract, and then (there are) two possibilities.

“One, he signs that contract, if he doesn’t sign that contract then we need to sell the player. It’s simple, it’s not so difficult in my opinion.”

As much as I don't trust Mourinho to coax talent out of mercurial players, can't help feel there is an absolute monster midfielder in there. Barkley and Pogba playing in a midfield three with a workhorse DM covering them, marone....

Seems everyone sees Barkley as some number 10 or inside forward. I've always seen him as like "The English Pogba". Incredible talent an vision, strong, quick and an all round athelete. Just needs to be put on a certain path, forgiven mistakes in learning and given some defensive platform behind him and let him go.

If he doesn't re-sign for Everton, that could be shrewd business for someone for a player shortly coming into his peak years ;)

Yesterday's game the only player to have featured in a competitve game under ferguson was pogba.

Thats a fair turnover of a squad in less then 4 years and an even bigger problem is we have had 3 very different architects attempting to rebuild it.

We may not all agree on what Jose says or does but hopefully he is here for the long term you can't keep disrupting the squad like that.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Koeman on Barkley

As much as I don't trust Mourinho to coax talent out of mercurial players, can't help feel there is an absolute monster midfielder in there. Barkley and Pogba playing in a midfield three with a workhorse DM covering them, marone....

Seems everyone sees Barkley as some number 10 or inside forward. I've always seen him as like "The English Pogba". Incredible talent an vision, strong, quick and an all round athelete. Just needs to be put on a certain path, forgiven mistakes in learning and given some defensive platform behind him and let him go.

If he doesn't re-sign for Everton, that could be shrewd business for someone for a player shortly coming into his peak years ;)

Barkley is having good season and it would be superb if we can sign him. He has lot to offer, very direct and one of the very few English players who are very good on the ball.

• Gas craic that lad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I posted that here about Schneiderlin a few years ago from after United played Southampton. A friend of a friend who worked for Southampton was saying Morgan made the exact same complaint to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Hopefully good news for Thursday, although I'd say "uncertain" means he'll be sound/
    Lukasz Teodorczyk has been excellent for Anderlecht this season, scoring 28 goals since his move from Dynamo Kiev. The 25 year old Poland international initially arrived on loan but Anderlecht used a clause to make the move permanent in March.

With Anderlecht welcoming Manchester United on Thursday, Teodorczyk was expected to be one of the Belgian club’s real threats, but a shoulder injury could see him miss the match.

Teodorczyk’s involvement against Jose Mourinho’s men is described as ‘uncertain’, and it’s unlikely he’ll be risked if the problem doesn’t completely clear up. Unlike Manchester United, the Europa League isn’t Anderlecht’s priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Hoddle is a terrible commentator and I really dislike him, and for me is a completely over rated everything.

Has the clear guise of a man who was clearly a talented player, but simply cannot fathom how everyone else can't do what he "would do". Obviously at my age I never saw Hoddle so have no idea what he is like, but has the mantra of someone who bought his own hype and therefore is terrible in commentary unable to analysis the actual situation, just complaining about what should have happened, as he would have done it.

Again not sure if he was actually the second coming of Maradona from the way he goes on, but pretty sure he is not.

Can't ever forget the insights from former players about his time as England manager, basically micro managing proffesional players and being condescending. Constant calls for him to get back into coaching are baffling, he looks like he'd be a terrible coach.

Almost as bad as Niall Quinn. I cringe every time he is commentating on a United game.

When Romero was taking a free kick from the wrong position he said "I don't understand why he just can't take it from the correct position". It made zero difference as he was kicking the ball 70 yards down the field anyway. About 5 mins later, Larsson was trying to take a corner was outside the arc and he said the ref was "petty" to make him take it from the correct position.

This was mentioned in the match thread,a great gesture by Lingard.

3F1AE6D500000578-4395124-Lingard_bends_down_to_autograph_the_shirt_he_signed_a_new_contra-a-3_1491760662691.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

About the only worthwhile thing he did yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Rod Munch wrote: »

Nonsense. You are completely biased against him.

Jayop wrote: »
    I posted that here about Schneiderlin a few years ago from after United played Southampton. A friend of a friend who worked for Southampton was saying Morgan made the exact same complaint to him.

I remember someone posting it, didn't know it was you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Barkley is having good season and it would be superb if we can sign him. He has lot to offer, very direct and one of the very few English players who are very good on the ball.

No, just no. Hes a headless chicken over hyped because of his nationality. He makes poor decisions when easier, simpler options are available. He would cost too much and I think we can get a better player for the same price elsewhere

• Rod Munch wrote: »

To be fair he made some good runs and also remember specifically him dribbling past the Sunderland defense and a decent shot that followed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

beakerjoe wrote: »
    No, just no. Hes a headless chicken over hyped because of his nationality. He makes poor decisions when easier, simpler options are available. He would cost too much and I think we can get a better player for the same price elsewhere

Can't massively talk to his skill level, but we are going to need some Homegrown player this season, with Rooney likely gone, probably Carrick too. If we are going to end up splashing 30m on a slightly overhyped English talent, Barkley would be one of the better options.

Liked this from F365 Winners and Losers.

As much as I do like Fellaini, it's so true. Not to bangkok levels of aggression towards the player, but seems there is nearly acceptance he is good enough when he so blatantly isn't.
    Marouane Fellaini
    Manchester United captain. As in the captain of Manchester United.

Fellaini’s selection on Sunday means that he has now started more league games this season than Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Michael Carrick, Anthony Martial, Marcus Rashford and Jesse Lingard. He shouldn’t be anywhere near that midfield.

• Advertisement

Liked this from F365 Winners and Losers.

As much as I do like Fellaini, it's so true. Not to bangkok levels of aggression towards the player, but seems there is nearly acceptance he is good enough when he so blatantly isn't.

Just shows how badly underperforming them players have been then when you consider that apart from mkhitaryan the rest have been worse then Fellaini for large parts and thats coming from someone that's only a passive fan of Fellaini.

Fellaini is definitely good enough. Severely under-appreciated player, probably because of how lanky and violent he is.

• I still don't buy into the notion that he shouldn't be anywhere near the midfield when he's outperforming everyone else in that position.
    He takes some amount of ****e from rivals and our own fans to boot

That's just a ****e article from F365 anyway, they write to the narrative and have a particular hard-on for Fellani

v3ttel wrote: »
    Almost as bad as Niall Quinn. I cringe every time he is commentating on a United game.

When Romero was taking a free kick from the wrong position he said "I don't understand why he just can't take it from the correct position". It made zero difference as he was kicking the ball 70 yards down the field anyway. About 5 mins later, Larsson was trying to take a corner was outside the arc and he said the ref was "petty" to make him take it from the correct position.

I watched the match on a US stream, not sure who the co-commentator was but find the English guys working on US telly sometimes a little better in terms of "calling it as it is".

Like on the Larsson tackle, the co-com said that he is definitely surprised it was red and he thought it was yellow, but make no mistake he knew what he was doing. Sure win the ball, but leave a mark out of frustration and let United know they are there.

Was a few other bits and pieces that I agreed with, some I found to be insightful, and it just seems they are more open to calling players out knowing there isn't any relationship to maintain there like with Sky.

He called the Shaw substitution pretty spot on after the main comm said it was Jose mind games, but pointed out with Shaw booked and the atmosphere getting a bit hostile, the ref might be pressured into a decision, as he was giving away puzzling free kicks. So Shaw might feature more in the PL so it was a smart move.

Anyway was just re-assuring to hear a commentator who wasn't talking to me (viewer) like I was a dribbler and was actually being insightful

• Pro. F wrote: »
    Fellaini is definitely good enough. Severely under-appreciated player, probably because of how lanky and violent he is.

It's been a long while since we can agree on something but yes, totally true.

Pro. F wrote: »

It's a general hot topic, respect peoples opinions that are levelled with him.

I appreciate what he does, I think he has wonderful aspects to his game and I definitely don't under appreciate him as I think I'm pretty levelled and fair with the ability he has and definitely think he has and can play good games in midfield.

Just don't think he is good enough as a first XI player for what we want.

I think the point from my quote is that he has played more then immeasurably better players than him. Obviously wins favour with managers because he will do a job or whatever is asked of him, and he is selfless in his work.

On his booking yesterday, if memory serves(saw a tweet recently) his disciplinary record has DRASTICALLY improved not so much from him, but in terms of maybe referees stopping assuming he is some thug. He had a really low precentage of fouls conceeded and cards received in X period(cant remember the period)

He is definitly unfairly treated by referees, so infuriating the fouls blown against him that are so obviously not

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    That's just a ****e article from F365 anyway, they write to the narrative and have a particular hard-on for Fellani

They really don't write to the narrative. I find them to be one of the best resources for football analysis and journalism around, as they typically cut through the bull**** and as difficult as people might take it, their stuff is generally on point.

They have been a pretty big portrayer of the "myth" around Jose and improving United this season, so they have been very much against the grain.

Also can't believe you'd call winners and losers ****.....:confused: Highlight of my Monday lunch :D

Pro. F wrote: »
    Nonsense. You are completely biased against him.

I've been on the fence with Lingaard leaning towards the "won't be good enough" side, but have gradually being re-evaluating my thoughts on him. Starting to see this intelligence people talk about with him. At first I thought he was just a headless chicken trying to get involved but I can see purpose now.

If he could add goals to his game, like a decent return of goals (has good technique in front of goal) by adding some killer instinct to his runs and movement, I don't think it's a stretch to say we could have an English Thomas Muller light.

He doesn't seem to keep to a position, he frequently drifts out of games, but then just appears seemingly. I actually think at times he has been subbed to then see him pop up out of nowhere.

If he could add goals, a good return of goals, I'd be very pleased and surprised.

It's a general hot topic, respect peoples opinions that are levelled with him.

I appreciate what he does, I think he has wonderful aspects to his game and I definitely don't under appreciate him as I think I'm pretty levelled and fair with the ability he has and definitely think he has and can play good games in midfield.

Just don't think he is good enough as a first XI player for what we want.

I think the point from my quote is that he has played more then immeasurably better players than him. Obviously wins favour with managers because he will do a job or whatever is asked of him, and he is selfless in his work.

On his booking yesterday, if memory serves(saw a tweet recently) his disciplinary record has DRASTICALLY improved not so much from him, but in terms of maybe referees stopping assuming he is some thug. He had a really low precentage of fouls conceeded and cards received in X period(cant remember the period)

He is definitly unfairly treated by referees, so infuriating the fouls blown against him that are so obviously not

Funnily we disagree on both points here. I think he is more than good enough to be first XI for a team chasing the PL and CL trophies. And I think, if anything, refs have mostly been fairly lenient on him throughout his career, even though he is a dirty player.

• TheDoc wrote: »
    They really don't write to the narrative. I find them to be one of the best resources for football analysis and journalism around, as they typically cut through the bull**** and as difficult as people might take it, their stuff is generally on point.

They have been a pretty big portrayer of the "myth" around Jose and improving United this season, so they have been very much against the grain.

Also can't believe you'd call winners and losers ****.....:confused: Highlight of my Monday lunch :D

Let me elaborate, that specific section on Fellani is ****e IMO
    And he comes out with a one liner without even giving his argument as to why he shouldn't be anywhere near that midfield even though as I repeat he's outperforming all the players he has listed

That's why it's ****e and ponders to the narritve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Football365 has been sh*te for a while now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement