Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Same age as RVP when we signed him.....was he not worth it?

not the same calibre of player as RVP and no EPL experience, RVP had been with Arsenal for 7-8 years maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I feel sympathy for Wenger in the sense he defends his players to a fault, no other manager would endure the grief he does and still defend his players. And yet so many of these players are average and totally unbecoming of a club with their aspirations.

The weird thing is how the team there doesn't break their backside for him each and every time they play. Most of them wouldn't get into another top 4 team and most of them wouldn't get into a big club anywhere else in Europe. Just a total misled sense of importance from so many of them.

Bit of a crazy situation when I look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Mertens would be got pretty cheap his contract is up next year.

His age wouldn't be a mad positive but his cost would be and his ability to play threw the middle and on the left would.

At the right price he would be a good buy

Guys, has Bangkok been seen since the earth shattering events of Sunday?? When i saw the announcement i feared his his very existence... i hope he's being comforted in his hours of need
    #prayforbangkok #vile

On Wenger, after last night you'd have to feel for the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »
    Mertens would be got pretty cheap his contract is up next year.

His age wouldn't be a mad positive but his cost would be and his ability to play threw the middle and on the left would.

At the right price he would be a good buy

I do believe if we go for Mertens, that's the end of Martial.

The reason I wouldnt have any sympathy for Wenger is because he shouldn't be there.

I know what he has done for the club and blah blah blah but any rightful club man should look at himself and say I haven't won a league in 14 year and I haven't shown the ability to keep up with the modern game it's my time.

Wenger should of walked after one of the cup wins recently and accepted he didn't have what it takes to rebuild the club we can blame players all we want but he has been in charge of building the team they are all his players it's his responsibility to make sure that the members of his team are fully committed to him.

Fergie spent quarter of a century with united he rebuilt about 5 teams and left a winner. Wenger has spent near quarter of century with arsenal and failed to rebuild them in 14 years thats not acceptable.

Money in a football club is no good in the bank when you are charging your fans threw the nose to watch your team play in a fancy new stadium. Fans want to see a team winning do everything you can to make sure they are going to win if you failed at least you tried.

astradave wrote: »
    I do believe if we go for Mertens, that's the end of Martial.

Is martial going to be a jose player? He showed so much promise last year but he has been totally pollar opposite this year apart from one or two good games. I hope he is given another year really want to see him succeed with united he seems genuinely happy to be with the club even if he don't smile on the pitch much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The reason I wouldnt have any sympathy for Wenger is because he shouldn't be there.

Its not even a debate in my mind, it was obvious years ago that his time was up and that Arsenal were stagnating under his management. What Arsenal are seeing now is simply the end result of being unable to spot a downward trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

brinty wrote: »
    Guys, has Bangkok been seen since the earth shattering events of Sunday?? When i saw the announcement i feared his his very existence... i hope he's being comforted in his hours of need
    #prayforbangkok #vile

still suffering from PTSD, i will get over it in time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Is martial going to be a jose player? He showed so much promise last year but he has been totally pollar opposite this year apart from one or two good games. I hope he is given another year really want to see him succeed with united he seems genuinely happy to be with the club even if he don't smile on the pitch much.

Question should really be "Is Martial a United player". This approach to squad building has put us in a mess the last few seasons and will have us in a mess when Jose leaves.

The manager should be backed and rightly so, but the club should be ensuring and safeguarding it's future with talent and players. Players managers may disregard with their short term vision and requirement to succeed.

Martial is 21 years old. It's easily three season before we see him starting to peak. And where will he play in that time? Where will he develop? As a striker like he should, or out on the wing?

While I appreciate the pressure managers are put under, and Jose is no different, required to deliver, that will inevitably lead to buying more senior established quality. Martial is clearly an incredible talent, and I'd be annoyed at the club if they let him go.

While it's seen as a negative thing, next season if Martial is not going to be afforded chances up front, he should be loaned to a top level club abroad so that he can get game time and actually develop in his clear natural position.

And if Jose is going to go into full squad build mode (indicated this week the squad is very far away) I don't think he should be allowed remove players, potential and talent that will likely flourish when he is no longer there.

bangkok wrote: »

now you know how we all feel when you start on one of your Fellaini rants ;)

Joking aside I've missed you Bang

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know what he has done for the club and blah blah blah but any rightful club man should look at himself and say I haven't won a league in 14 year and I haven't shown the ability to keep up with the modern game it's my time.

I don't think it's Wenger's fault tbh. There's not a man in the world who would walk away from a top level job. Realistically, how many examples have we of managers who walked away when things were going badly? Wenger's job is to keep fighting until the board tell him to go.

I'd put the blame solely on the board. They were more than happy to sit back and accept top 4 year on year, and the issue with that is, inevitably, you're going to have a bad season and slip up. This season has been long coming for them, but they opted to take it head on :/

TheDoc wrote: »
    And if Jose is going to go into full squad build mode (indicated this week the squad is very far away) I don't think he should be allowed remove players, potential and talent that will likely flourish when he is no longer there.

To be frank, the club will never, and should never, take that attitude. The attitude at the club should be "Jose is our manager, and will be for twenty years!". Even if that might be naive, the club should not be making transfer decisions with a subtext about the manager not lasting longer than a few years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

#prayforbangkok #vile

bangkok has gone to his happy place to try and forget. I haven't noticed if he posted to be honest! I actually though Fellaini played well on Sunday, he seemed more disciplined than usual as was a calming influence.

I have no sympathy for Wenger, he seems a nice guy and all but if you were an Arsenal fan I'm sure you would hate it. Also when was the last time he even won anything? Don't know how he managed to stay at the club so long at this stage, it's not like he was regularly hauling in titles. It says more about Arsenal's aspirations that the board appear to be happy with top 4 every season and the odd cup thrown in.

Welcome back by the way :D

Just embrace him, let big Fel into your heart....:D ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Mertens, I hate how the name is spelt so it's a no from me.

Also on Arsenal, Wenger has been there for 20 years, he has signed all the players, he never replaced Vieria or Adams/Keown.

Walcott must be at the club 10 years now and still bluffing his way through his career, Ramsey, Coquelin, Eleney, Xhaka all not good enough, Mustafi signed for 35m, he was probably worth 10-15m and not to the standard required at Arsenal, for that money David Luiz was a much better and more commanding player. Xhaka cost more than Kante, Ozil doesnt even try. Ox and sanchez will leave in summer along with maybe a few more.

Welcome back by the way :D

Cheers Cookie
    Just embrace him, let big Fel into your heart....:D ;)

Yea mate, its time to put your arms wide open and take in the splendidness of the "Big" guy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A little worried that Arsenal could have a proper manager and players next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

GSPfan wrote: »
    We booed one of our own players. I don't think we can talk.

That's the thing. There are going to be a number of idiots as part of every clubs fan base, particularly the bigger that pool is.

One thing that fails to get mentioned about that incident is that his name was sung directly after that as a reaction to the booing. Fellaini is an ideal squad player for any club challenging on multiple fronts. The main problem he has is that he was bought for far too much money (the whole buyout fiasco) and is still seen as the personification of the Moyes era....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,206 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I have no sympathy for Wenger, he seems a nice guy and all but if you were an Arsenal fan I'm sure you would hate it. Also when was the last time he even won anything? Don't know how he managed to stay at the club so long at this stage, it's not like he was regularly hauling in titles. It says more about Arsenal's aspirations that the board appear to be happy with top 4 every season and the odd cup thrown in.

Just 2 FA Cups in the last 12 seasons for Arsenal - under-achieving to say the least.

• A little worried that Arsenal could have a proper manager and players next season

They need more than a new manager, who would sign for them now?
    Sanchez going to stay? Ozil?

A little worried that Arsenal could have a proper manager and players next season

wouldnt be worried to be honest, apart from Sanchez there is not 1 other player that would get into the united team and with a lot of the others like walcott, ramsey etc etc they dont know what it takes to win.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    They need more than a new manager, who would sign for them now?
    Sanchez going to stay? Ozil?

if you pay players what they want or more than they want they will sign, its a fantastic club, great stadium and its in London.

• bangkok wrote: »
    if you pay players what they want or more than they want they will sign, its a fantastic club, great stadium and its in London.

Indicate to me please where this has happened at Arsenal? Suarez :pac:
    It's structure is ****ed at the moment from the top down.
    I'd expect they will lose some of there best players this summer if the continue on a downward spiral.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

wouldnt be worried to be honest, apart from Sanchez there is not 1 other player that would get into the united team and with a lot of the others like walcott, ramsey etc etc they dont know what it takes to win.

We have drawn or lost 15 games in the league so far, we are certainly not able to sling mud for that reason!!

Or they could end up like us after Fergie and spiral into a temporary downfall. Will many of the players actually stick around on the off chance that the new manager immediately changes their fortunes. I doubt they would if they get better offers.

Also who's to say the board would even go all out to try and get someone better if they've been happy to roll along underachieving so far.
    Just 2 FA Cups in the last 12 seasons for Arsenal - under-achieving to say the least.

Mad that he stayed in charge so long with a record like that!! Evidently they're happy with this or they would have gotten rid long ago.

On a United related note though, I think the Arsenal result was good for us and hopefully we can close the gap on top 4. We still have games in hand though I wouldn't be confident of beating Chelsea. We also still have to play City so it would be great to take points off them.

First and foremost it would be nice to get a decent result against Anderlecht in the first leg so we could relax for the 2nd leg and maybe give some players a break so keep them fresh for the league.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    To be frank, the club will never, and should never, take that attitude. The attitude at the club should be "Jose is our manager, and will be for twenty years!". Even if that might be naive, the club should not be making transfer decisions with a subtext about the manager not lasting longer than a few years...

Totally agree and if the club are doing there homework right they will know what type of manager they want after jose and it should be someone with similar beliefs and styles.

If jose was to be sacked or leave in the next year or two there is no point in going for the next big name manager at the time but he is going to take 3 or four years to rebuild the team again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Completely disagree with this statement. Wenger is doing a terrible job at the moment as I'm sure everybody would agree. So if only one player in the Arsenal team would get into the Man Utd team as you say, all while Wenger is having a stinker of a season, then why are Man Utd only three points ahead? Wouldn't this suggest that Mourinho is doing a terrible job then? As you're basically saying he has 10/11 better players than Wenger has week in week out.

• Completely disagree with this statement. Wenger is doing a terrible job at the moment as I'm sure everybody would agree. So if only one player in the Arsenal team would get into the Man Utd team as you say, all while Wenger is having a stinker of a season, then why are Man Utd only three points ahead? Wouldn't this suggest that Mourinho is doing a terrible job then? As you're basically saying he has 10/11 better players than Wenger has week in week out.

This issues lie with Wenger and the board.
    Players need to take accountability but I totally agree with you there are some good players in that squad that would walk into the Utd team.
    Sanchez & regards of what certain people will say Ozil.
    I'd take Koiesclny too and Xhaka if he could get back into his Bundesliga form

• Advertisement

Completely disagree with this statement. Wenger is doing a terrible job at the moment as I'm sure everybody would agree. So if only one player in the Arsenal team would get into the Man Utd team as you say, all while Wenger is having a stinker of a season, then why are Man Utd only three points ahead? Wouldn't this suggest that Mourinho is doing a terrible job then? As you're basically saying he has 10/11 better players than Wenger has week in week out.

Jose has underpreformed, but has had 10 months or so to shape the team, and is still working with players bought for different philosophies. Its a managerial career in it's infancy, in many ways.

Wenger has had over a decade to build his team; it is his team, with his philosophies, and he really has no excuses any more.

United have had a poor season, sadly, but that Arsenal are now track to be stuck in a fight with us despite multiple advantages is a black mark against Arsenal, not United.

I see the guardian are talking about Kante maybe moving to Madrid. That would be a monster loss to chelsea for next year.

Jayop wrote: »
    I see the guardian are talking about Kante maybe moving to Madrid. That would be a monster loss to chelsea for next year.

Speaking of, I saw a story yesterday that a few of the Real players want Ronnie to move on, because the team revolves round him too much.

Time to que up the annual "Ronaldo to United" stories :P

Speaking of, I saw a story yesterday that a few of the Real players want Ronnie to move on, because the team revolves round him too much.

Time to que up the annual "Ronaldo to United" stories :P

I don't think I'll partake in the transfer crap this summer. I'll just see what we have in September and go from there.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

How do ye see the game on Sunday panning out or do I even need to ask? A draw?

Won't be a draw. Don't know who'll win, most likely them but I just feel in.my bones it's not a draw.

I don't think I'll partake in the transfer crap this summer. I'll just see what we have in September and go from there.

One thing I've admired with Jose in the past is how quickly he gets things done. I'd imagine there'll be a bit of a delay as some players will want to see if we get CL football or not, but I doubt we'll be getting a summer of it. The press will try, of course. But Id wager we'll have most of our business done quickly this year.

One thing I've admired with Jose in the past is how quickly he gets things done. I'd imagine there'll be a bit of a delay as some players will want to see if we get CL football or not, but I doubt we'll be getting a summer of it. The press will try, of course. But Id wager we'll have most of our business done quickly this year.

Very true. The sagas last year were very short and the Pogba one was only dragged out for a pr exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

5starpool wrote: »
    How do ye see the game on Sunday panning out or do I even need to ask? A draw?

When we last played them in the FA cup, Jose got the tactics spot on and we looked good until the red card at which everything went tits up from then on. if Jose can do that again, I reckon we'll have a decent shot, despite our home form.

• Advertisement

Very true. The sagas last year were very short and the Pogba one was only dragged out for a pr exercise.

That, and the Euros meant that it didn't get dealt with quickly.

No international competitions this year, so that shouldn't be an issue this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

That, and the Euros meant that it didn't get dealt with quickly.

No international competitions this year, so that shouldn't be an issue this year.

At Chelsea, Jose got alot done in early June most seasons and it sets up his pre season plans well. I expect similar smoothness this season considering he knows the squad better and knows what he wants to improve/who he wants to sell.

jeez you don't help yourself saying things like that, you really need to think before you type and read before your post. Based on this season we've nothing to be trying to get one over Arsenal about.

jeez you don't help yourself saying things like that, you really need to think before you type and read before your post. Based on this season we've nothing to be trying to get one over Arsenal about.

Theres plenty of players at Arsenal who would improve our team. Id personally love Ramsey. Not saying he'd be a perfect fit for Utd, but Ive always liked him as a player.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Theres plenty of players at Arsenal who would improve our team. Id personally love Ramsey. Not saying he'd be a perfect fit for Utd, but Ive always liked him as a player.

True story mate, Bellerin at RB in a Jose team, drool!!!!!

True story mate, Bellerin at RB in a Jose team, drool!!!!!

I like him a lot but I think Valencia has the position nailed down considering how much praise Jose gives him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Valencia is twice the RB as Bellerin is at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Bellerin is already dreaming of Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Miles better and not sure why Bellerin is rated so highly. Awful player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

With all due respect, anybody content with Valencia as a first choice defender should also content themselves with being a 5th place team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

With all due respect, anybody content with Valencia as a first choice defender should also content themselves with being a 5th place team.

With all due respect your post is nonsense.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement