Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

zerks wrote: »

Goodbye and thanks for the memories over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

His goose is certainly cooked at the club but for everything he has done I'd like to see him go out on a high.

Dream scenario would be him appearing in the EL final, doing well and with us ultimately winning it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Would imagine Carricks testimonial will be Rooneys last game for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Korat wrote: »
    No harm in critically analysing but I think Doc made his mind about Mourinho a long time ago. I hope it can be turned by events on the pitch rather than following popular opinion of the guy.

I think it's very clear in the thread that I'm in the minority in terms of feeling comfortable criticising him or raising concerns.

And the "high level" concerns arn't really myths, as Jose would like to maybe fool people otherwise.

If anyone bought his early season "list of young players I brought through" I've a bridge in Brooklyn for sale...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It would be sad for Rooneys career to end on a whimper but to be honest he has nobody to blame but himself, if he was performing to any standard at all he would probably be playing but he hasn't done that for a long time.

When you see how the likes of Giggs or Scholes contributed into their late 30's its a real shame how Rooney can't match that even at only age 31, but again there is no point him whinging about it, its all on him.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I think it's very clear in the thread that I'm in the minority in terms of feeling comfortable criticising him or raising concerns.

Bullshit, there is plenty of criticism of Jose in here from a multitude of posters. Most of it reasoned criticism with a solid basis as opposed to flowery drivel from certain people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Bullshit, there is plenty of criticism of Jose in here from a multitude of posters. Most of it reasoned criticism with a solid basis as opposed to flowery drivel from certain people.

I definitely feel like I'm in the minority by being massively unimpressed, going by the consistent attempts by posters to deride or sideline my points as "coming from someone with an agenda"

I definitely feel like I'm in the minority by being massively unimpressed, going by the consistent attempts by posters to deride or sideline my points as "coming from someone with an agenda"

The "I'm the only one brave enough to criticize him" routine really doesn't help when you're trying to refute claims you've not got an agenda tbh.

You come up with good and valid points sometimes, but then destroy them at others when you go down this sort of route. With the greatest of respect, you're not special; plenty can see criticisms to level at Jose, but can also take on a variety of other factors, "excuses", or whatever in a bid to remain more level headed about the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I think it says a lot that Rooney was slowly phased out of not just the team, but indeed the entire squad and nobody really batted an eyelid.

Part of me wonders if he was managed properly early in his career, obviously sports science in 2003 was not as advanced as it is now. He also had a tendency to seriously let himself go in the offseason and I think it's all caught up with him now, he's simply not the player he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

thelad95 wrote: »
    I think it says a lot that Rooney was slowly phased out of not just the team, but indeed the entire squad and nobody really batted an eyelid.

Part of me wonders if he was managed properly early in his career, obviously sports science in 2003 was not as advanced as it is now. He also had a tendency to seriously let himself go in the offseason and I think it's all caught up with him now, he's simply not the player he was.

It was when Van Persie joined after Rooney had just had a great season up front and he was moved back to a position he had not really played in years and didn't have the skills for anymore. He became a poacher and was asked to go back to being the number 10. They have vastly different skillsets and he wasn't able to adapt back.

He was still scoring a good amount of goals but his instincts were being eroded even further in the deep role and it got to the point where he was looking unsure about most things that he was doing on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Liam O wrote: »
    It was when Van Persie joined after Rooney had just had a great season up front and he was moved back to a position he had not really played in years and didn't have the skills for anymore. He became a poacher and was asked to go back to being the number 10. They have vastly different skillsets and he wasn't able to adapt back.

He was still scoring a good amount of goals but his instincts were being eroded even further in the deep role and it got to the point where he was looking unsure about most things that he was doing on the pitch.

Surely moving position like that isnt a big ask. Rooney didnt lose his skillset being a poacher. That excuse is nonsense. He is a talented player, who could easily adapt.

I think he just hasnt got the same desire he once had and has declined as a result of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Liam O wrote: »

Rooney didn't play as poacher at all. Welbeck or Hernandez used to lead the line with Rooney playing behind them. Only season Rooney played as lone striker was in 2009-10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

And the "high level" concerns arn't really myths, as Jose would like to maybe fool people otherwise.

If anyone bought his early season "list of young players I brought through" I've a bridge in Brooklyn for sale...

The thread would be a lesser place without your input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Southampton v Man Utd rescheduled for Wed May 17th and live on Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Southampton v Man Utd rescheduled for Wed May 13th and live on Sky.
    The 13th is a Saturday (when we're scheduled to play Spurs). I assume it's the 10th?

Correction its the 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

It could be a season defining night tomorrow. Given our current form at home the tie could be decided in Brussells. I've no idea what to expect from Anderlecht but it has to be all in from Utd.

Nailz wrote: »
    The 13th is a Saturday (when we're scheduled to play Spurs). I assume it's the 10th?

Spurs game is now Sun 14th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Spurs game is now Sun 14th
    A potential EL semi-final second leg looks to be penned in for the 11th, so that's probably why.

• Advertisement

Have no more Sat games this season.

Korat wrote: »
    It could be a season defining night tomorrow. Given our current form at home the tie could be decided in Brussells. I've no idea what to expect from Anderlecht but it has to be all in from Utd.

Heres the problem. This is a season defining game and we really need players to have some balls, step up and put in a performance that carries us forward. But umpteen times this season we have needed players to step up and again and again they didn't do it. So how can we have hope that tomorrow will be any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Heres the problem. This is a season defining game and we really need players to have some balls, step up and put in a performance that carries us forward. But umpteen times this season we have needed players to step up and again and again they didn't do it. So how can we have hope that tomorrow will be any different?

Because we've been good at home in the cups.

Jayop wrote: »

And our away form has been very solid

Jayop wrote: »

We have been solid, we have been good enough to get through games we really should be winning, but we haven't been particularly impressive either and considering our more recent ****e form I wouldn't use previous competent performances as evidence that we will produce a big performance if it is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Could you not post up what it says instead of making us click into the daily mail :D

astradave wrote: »
    Could you not post up what it says instead of making us click into the daily mail :D

You know as well as me that there's always the same few who post "link?".;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

He will do it tomorrow ;)

• Advertisement

De Gea possibly out with his hip injury is a worry

jayo26 wrote: »
    He will do it tomorrow ;)

200.gif#179

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

beakerjoe wrote: »
    De Gea possibly out with his hip injury is a worry

De gea was training today and running about as normal. He won't play tomorrow eitherway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Looking forward to the game tomorrow, don't think this will be as easy as people are anticipating. I'd take a 1-1. Be interesting to see Anderlechts young midfielders Tielmans and Dendockner, both being touted for bigger things.

Ah, Tielmans. Is there a Football Manager player who doesn't know his name? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Ah, Tielmans. Is there a Football Manager player who doesn't know his name? :pac:

Was just about to respond "becomes a beast in FM" haha

• Advertisement

Julez wrote: »
    Was just about to respond "becomes a beast in FM" haha

Running a United save at the moment, about to reach end of the first season. On track win the title with a midfield trio of Pogba, Tielmans and Alli :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Some strike on him https://streamable.com/rykfw

With both feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Looking forward to the game tomorrow, don't think this will be as easy as people are anticipating. I'd take a 1-1. Be interesting to see Anderlechts young midfielders Tielmans and Dendockner, both being touted for bigger things.

Is anyone anticipating an easy game?

I'm certainly not anyway.

On paper we are heavy favourites but we have been in many games this season and made a hames of things.

Hopefully tomorrow night is one where the performance matches the expectation.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Is anyone anticipating an easy game?

I'm certainly not anyway.

On paper we are heavy favourites but we have been in many games this season and made a hames of things.

Hopefully tomorrow night is one where the performance matches the expectation.

It will be a tough game, Anderlecht will certainly be up for it and I wouldnt be under estimating anyone in the last 8. I think United should win but I think a draw is more likely. Hopefully an away goal to bring to OT

At a quick glance, Anderlecht haven't lost a game at home since last December 8th. That was against St. Etienne in the Europa group stages (2-3).

Just looking at their overall record since then out of interest, they've played 19 games in all competitions with 13 wins, 4 draws, 2 losses.

Those 2 losses were away to Zenit St. Petersburg in their most recent Europa game (3-1, only for that late away goal, Anderlecht were out) and away to Mechelen (who?) in the league (3-2) in early March.

10 of those 19 games were at home. Their form over those 10 home games, from the oldest to most recent: DWWDWWWWWD (7W, 3D) Their last game was at home against Gent last Sunday and finished 0-0.

I'll be quite happy and surprised if we get the win tomorrow night. Only for our home form being quite poor and therefore not giving us much of an advantage in the second leg, I think 1-1 would be a decent result to come away with tomorrow night. Considering our home form, another 0-3 please.

• Advertisement

The issue with our home form should be ok if we can get a score draw or a win to win tomorrow.

The reason we have draws at home is because teams come to us happy to sit back and score a goal on the break or settle for a draw. That won't happen in Europe of we can get a result tomorrow night.

The issue with our home form should be ok if we can get a score draw or a win to win tomorrow.

The reason we have draws at home is because teams come to us happy to sit back and score a goal on the break or settle for a draw. That won't happen in Europe of we can get a result tomorrow night.

Good point, hadn't considered that.

Pogba press conference...

"You people put me as a defender, a midfielder and a striker. I'm just a midfielder, that's my job."

Jose...

"If we have no chances in the PL then people will have to accept I will focus on the Europa League, but we aren't there yet."

On DDG - "I don't see him having any focus problems. End of the season is time for players to think about their careers."

Zlatan funniest moments so far we seen most of them all but kinda funny he is great fun around dressing room id say.

Zlatan funniest moments so far we seen most of them all but kinda funny he is great fun around dressing room id say.

Before he came to the club, I had only read most of what he said in interviews, rather than watched or listened to him. Reading all those quotes over the years, it came across like unbridled arrogance. Seeing it though, it's far from that - The man obviously has a deep streak of humility in him and somehow is quite grounded, plus he appears to be a fun personality to be around.

Considering that, and the fact that I wasn't expecting him to bag 28 goals in all comps by early April, his time at United so far has been a bit of a revelation to me.

Also, I just found this one earlier, Zlatan Ibrahimovic translates as Golden Son of Abraham. I'm not surprised in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I would not have Zlatan in same bracket as Ronaldo or Messi, but he will go down as one of best players.

Delighted to have the pleasure of seeing him in United jersey, same with Bastian.

Delighted to have the pleasure of seeing him in United jersey, same with Bastian.

Mehh he in contributing to the team like he should where as bastian once you got past his pr people he was very underwhelming.

Looking at his social media posts since he went to America it is basically copy and paste of quotes he mad with united bit like shifting a hot young one in a disco when your a teenager only to turn around and see her shifting someone else at the end of the night ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Ronaldo is some player, 2 goals again away to Bayern. Machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    Ronaldo is some player, 2 goals again away to Bayern. Machine

He was ****e in fairness. Something else though scoring 100 goals in Europe

He was ****e in fairness. Something else though scoring 100 goals in Europe

He was often sh1te in games but he delivered when needed thats all that mattered. They have a great chance of league and European double this year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement