Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

GSPfan wrote: »
    The thing with Martial is that he is a £60 million player and if he doesn't kick on soon and start showing the form he had last year then his value will plummet. That will be a factor if the likes of PSG knock on the door with a bag of money this Summer.

The other reason I could see him being sold is Jose's ruthless desire for success. Jose takes all the stick for our crapness in front of goal but it is the players who can't stick the ball in the net and Martial is as guilty as anyone for not contributing enough.

Jose takes all the stick. Did I read that right. It's quite the opposite I would have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

To be honest I've just been thinking and I wouldn't sell Martial if Zlatan goes as I think we should just stick him up front and see what happens. I would love to give him as many minutes as Zlatan has gotten as I bet he'd score as many.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

niallo27 wrote: »
    Jose takes all the stick. Did I read that right. It's quiet the opposite I would have thought.

tedious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The thing with Martial is that he is a £60 million player and if he doesn't kick on soon and start showing the form he had last year then his value will plummet. That will be a factor if the likes of PSG knock on the door with a bag of money this Summer.

The other reason I could see him being sold is Jose's ruthless desire for success. Jose takes all the stick for our crapness in front of goal but it is the players who can't stick the ball in the net and Martial is as guilty as anyone for not contributing enough.

He's not a 60m player though. He's much less than that rising to less than that with bonuses. Either way less than that.

At the time Ronaldos fee was the equivalent of that anyway. Were you looking g for him to be moved on after his second season when he was being labeled a show Pony with no end product? Bear in mind here Martial has done a lot more in his time so far at United in a far worse team.

Jose takes all the stick. Did I read that right. It's quiet the opposite I would have thought.

I was gonna reply to the question but the use of the word quiet instead of quite is driving my grammar ocd mad.

• Advertisement

I was gonna reply to the question but the use of the word quiet instead of quite is driving my grammar ocd mad.

Fixed I can only apologize. Please feel free to answer the question.

Jose takes all the stick. Did I read that right. It's quite the opposite I would have thought.

Thanks for fixing it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

You did read it right.

There you go.

Yes you did read that right. The players were taking a lot of the criticism at first but it has started to turn toward Jose now with even Michael Owen the other night blaming Jose after the game saying his tactics are too rigid which only allows for 4 players to get forward. It's nonsense. We create a sack full of chances but our players don't take them. Even Zlatan could have another five to ten goals if he didn't miss so many chances. A point blank header at Anfield comes to mind.

Yes you did read that right. The players were taking a lot of the criticism at first but it has started to turn toward Jose now with even Michael Owen the other night blaming Jose after the game saying his tactics are too rigid which only allows for 4 players to get forward. It's nonsense. We create a sack full of chances but our players don't take them. Even Zlatan could have another five to ten goals if he didn't miss so many chances. A point blank header at Anfield comes to mind.

Ok I get what you mean now, I thought you meant Jose was taking the blame himself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Lack of effort and looks to have a sulky attitude, his performances this season have been awful. Any half decent offer I would take for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Spurs are a joy to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Jayop wrote: »
    He's not a 60m player though. He's much less than that rising to less than that with bonuses. Either way less than that.

At the time Ronaldos fee was the equivalent of that anyway. Were you looking g for him to be moved on after his second season when he was being labeled a show Pony with no end product? Bear in mind here Martial has done a lot more in his time so far at United in a far worse team.

i think he means his value in the transfer market would be around 60m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Spurs are a joy to watch

brilliant everything with them is so effortless

See below taken from wikipedia:

Transfer. On 1 September 2015, Martial completed a move to Manchester United for £36 million, potentially rising to £58 million, on a four-year contract with the option of another year.

So he was a £58 million player two years ago with the add-ons. You're telling me he has dropped in value? Even if he held his value the market has risen since then so his value would have too. So we couldn't sell him on for a similar add-on deal worth £60 million?

Regardless of the money, he is a very valuable asset right now.

Zidane was the world record transfer fee in 2001 at £46 million so 12.5 for Ronaldo two years later was not big money. It was only remarkable as it was for a kid. £30 million for Rooney a year later was a better comparison to Martial.

Comparing Martials potential career to Ronaldo is a discussion I will be staying well clear of as there is no way to ever be right or wrong. It's like arguing about the existence of ghosts.

I would absolutely love to see Spurs somehow win the league from under the noses of Chelsea. If we win tomorrow it's down to 4 points between them which makes it very interesting. I just think Chelsea have had it so easy this year and I don't really like anything about Chelsea to be honest.

I'd also happily see Eric Dier as a target for us to partner Pogba in midfield. I think he would complement him.

See below taken from wikipedia:

Transfer. On 1 September 2015, Martial completed a move to Manchester United for £36 million, potentially rising to £58 million, on a four-year contract with the option of another year.

So he was a £58 million player two years ago with the add-ons. You're telling me he has dropped in value? Even if he held his value the market has risen since then so his value would have too. So we couldn't sell him on for a similar add-on deal worth £60 million?

Regardless of the money, he is a very valuable asset right now.

Zidane was the world record transfer fee in 2001 at £46 million so 12.5 for Ronaldo two years later was not big money. It was only remarkable as it was for a kid. £30 million for Rooney a year later was a better comparison to Martial.

Comparing Martials potential career to Ronaldo is a discussion I will be staying well clear of as there is no way to ever be right or wrong. It's like arguing about the existence of ghosts.

58m isn't 60m and we never paid 58. we paid 36 and will pay the rest if he hits milestones.

I'm not arguing that he's going to be as good as Ronaldo. I'm say that by the end of his second season at United he's done a hell of a lot more than Ronaldo had done. Anyone who disagrees with that is crazy.

58m isn't 60m and we never paid 58. we paid 36 and will pay the rest if he hits milestones.

I'm not arguing that he's going to be as good as Ronaldo. I'm say that by the end of his second season at United he's done a hell of a lot more than Ronaldo had done. Anyone who disagrees with that is crazy.

I never said we bought him for £60 million. I'm saying he is a £60 million player right now. I'm only using the transfer figures from two years ago as back up to my claim that he is worth £60 million now. Something you don't disagree with so thats that sorted.

Again you are trying to open up a debate to compare Martial to Ronaldo. Maybe someone else who likes to self harm themselves would enjoy that but not me.

I never said we bought him for £60 million. I'm saying he is a £60 million player right now. I'm only using the transfer figures from two years ago as back up to my claim that he is worth £60 million now. Something you don't disagree with so thats that sorted.

Again you are trying to open up a debate to compare Martial to Ronaldo. Maybe someone else who likes to self harm themselves would enjoy that but not me.

OK sorry I assumed you were referring to his transfer fee when you said 60m player. I do think he's worth that or close to it in today's market.

And again I'm not comparing him to Ronaldo through his career, merely after 2 seasons which is a fair comparison. Both teenagers who came in for massive fees, both had huge debuts and then showed inconsistency with a lack of end product. The comparison is obvious imo.

Edit: martial is 21, not a teenager, but the point stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm honestly flabbergasted that anyone would want to get rid of our best player from last year.
    He has been **** for over a year now. Sell him? Maybe, maybe not. But its not even about Martial himself, the problem is we have a squad full of people like him, so called talents not showing their talent where and when it matters and thats why we are struggling. We need to change that, we need to start performing again and if that involves getting rid of some of these talents then **** it, thats what we do.

There are indeed people who blame Jose for all the missed chances this year, ignoring the fact that we are at least creating chances to miss. Its the coaching, apparently. :rolleyes:
    To be honest I've just been thinking and I wouldn't sell Martial if Zlatan goes as I think we should just stick him up front and see what happens. I would love to give him as many minutes as Zlatan has gotten as I bet he'd score as many.

If that was our plan for next season we would continue to be a 5th place side, there is no way we can look at what Martial has done over the past 12 months and then hand him the responsibility of leading the line for what needs to be a title challenging team. The evidence in front of us would make that a horrible management decision.

• Advertisement

I'll be honest, I think Martial is not interested in a career on the wings/wide forward and I think he shows that in his performances. I believe him when he says he loves United and wants to stay so I just wish there was an opportunity to play him up front for about 5 games in a row and see how he does.

If you asked me if I'd rather lose Zlatan in the Summer and play Martial up front then I'd take that even though it seems like a gamble. I'd rather keep Martial but get him off the wings as he just doesn't want to be there. IMO.

You'll notice there is a theme in my opinions that revolve around Zlatan. I just think he is hindering a few players by seemingly having to play every minute of every game. He even took Martials number, which was disrespectful by the club in my eyes, but hopefully he got over that by now.

Personally I just think he's a sulky looking git and I that's effecting people's view on his effort.

Big game tomorrow now with all today's happenings. 3 games in hand over Everton but would still like to get above them to keep the push going.

I think we'll nick a draw tomorrow. Sad to say, but of all the defensive counter attacking teams we drew with this year at home, Chelsea will be the best of the lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Big game tomorrow now with all today's happenings. 3 games in hand over Everton but would still like to get above them to keep the push going.

No problem with people's optimism but I think the league should be an afterthought now.

All effort and focus should be on the EL.

J. Marston wrote: »
    No problem with people's optimism but I think the league should be an afterthought now.

You suggesting United just go through the motions tomorrow? That would sicken me at this stage considering we have two home games in a row with 4 days in between them and the the likes of Pogba Herrera Valencia and Zlatan well rested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

J. Marston wrote: »

How does that even work?

Apart from risking obviously injured players, I don't think the league games will have any real effect on the cup games. They are their own animal same as any knockout game and how we do in them is largely down to what happens on the night.

We had a handy game against the worst team in the league before the first leg and it didn't make our finishing any better, I doubt a game against the best team in the league will be any more significant come next Thursday either.

There will of course be some decisions to be made concerning use of the squad, but there is no need to "focus" on the EL with the implied lesser focus on the league, we should be well able to do our best in both competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Lads I'm in Manchester now. We've never lost a game I've been to. 3 points incoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

dr9fmmW.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Rumors in the papers are it's Jan Oblak or Joe Hart to come in and replace De Gea after he leaves for Real!

I'm sure Man City will let Hart move across the road no problem and likewise A.Madrid will throw Oblak on a plane to Manchester along side Greizman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Joe Hart ?

The beano isn't a paper. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

How does that even work?

Apart from risking obviously injured players, I don't think the league games will have any real effect on the cup games. They are their own animal same as any knockout game and how we do in them is largely down to what happens on the night.

We had a handy game against the worst team in the league before the first leg and it didn't make our finishing any better, I doubt a game against the best team in the league will be any more significant come next Thursday either.

There will of course be some decisions to be made concerning use of the squad, but there is no need to "focus" on the EL with the implied lesser focus on the league, we should be well able to do our best in both competitions.

It works like this, players rested for few league games means less accumulation of fatigue which means better performance in the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

DAILY STAR SUNDAY

Manchester United are now plotting a £125m swoop for Atletico Madrid duo Jan Oblak and Antoine Griezmann.

SUNDAY MIRROR

Jose Mourinho is set to make a shock move to bring Everton midfielder Ross Barkley to Manchester United in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I'd get rid of Martial if we could recoup any sort of decent fee for him. Probably complete BS but BBC gossip colum saying United would consider selling De gea to Madrid for a cash plus Kroos deal, how would people feel about that? I'd definitely be keen on it.

How often do you see player swaps in a major transfer?

It'd be great to see that transfer happen, I believe DeGea is leaving this summer regardless of if we make Cl or not, but those kind of transfers rarely happen. Zlatan and Eto'o is the only one that springs to mind.
    I would love to see Kroos at United and Madrid are crazy enough to sacrifice him for a transfer, but I don't think it will happen.

Having said that, I'll do a Trump and change position and say it is more likely a swap deal will happen with Lukaku and Rooney +£, if that transfer happens.

• Advertisement

Wow. The Luke Shaw interview on sky sports is fascinating. He basically admits he had to change his lifestyle, such as his eating and who he lives with. He really just confirms what was said about him. There's also a great feeling of him wanting to be at United for the rest of his career. It's wonderful to hear.

The rumour that he was living with his mates must have been true. He obviously was told to move out and distance himself from all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

zerks wrote: »
    DAILY STAR SUNDAY

Manchester United are now plotting a £125m swoop for Atletico Madrid duo Jan Oblak and Antoine Griezmann.

SUNDAY MIRROR

Jose Mourinho is set to make a shock move to bring Everton midfielder Ross Barkley to Manchester United in the summer.

I think Barkley has been good this season. I think he has bags of energy and would be a good addition I just don't know who he would displace......

As for the likelihood of it happening, if say it's slim to none.

I think Romero is a good enough keeper to start for us.

Normally Id dismiss the Barkley signing as a rumour but I think we need to be adding English players to the squad with Rooney, Carrick, and Young possible exits in the Summer. I would be shocked if we don't sign at least one homegrown player this Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I think Barkley has been good this season. I think he has bags of energy and would be a good addition I just don't know who he would displace......

As for the likelihood of it happening, if say it's slim to none.

I think Romero is a good enough keeper to start for us.

Everytime I watch Barkley I'm extremely underwhelmed. He's not at the level id expect us to be going for and hes been in the potential stage for too long imo. He also seems to struggle in high tension games to keep his emotions in check.

Romero has been good for us, that said I think the difference between top level keepers is concentration. Over the course of a season it's a lot more difficult to maintain that concentration than playing 1 or 2 games a month.

He's earned a chance but I don't think he's good enough to be our number 1in the long term

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Wow. The Luke Shaw interview on sky sports is fascinating. He basically admits he had to change his lifestyle, such as his eating and who he lives with. He really just confirms what was said about him. There's also a great feeling of him wanting to be at United for the rest of his career. It's wonderful to hear.

The rumour that he was living with his mates must have been true. He obviously was told to move out and distance himself from all that.

Got a few snide remarks here when I mentioned that rumour. Any link to the interview?

• Advertisement

Got a few snide remarks here when I mentioned that rumour. Any link to the interview?

Its on the sky sports app.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10837342/luke-shaw-talks-impact-of-jose-mourinho-and-gary-neville-on-his-man-utd-career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057730015/1/#post103234606

Match thread up guys loads of effort same as last sunday

jayo26 wrote: »
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057730015/1/#post103234606

Match thread up guys loads of effort same as last sunday

Much effort
    Many stats
    Wow

Much effort
    Many stats
    Wow

Thanks for the appreciation buddy :)

Jay always has your back Jay.

Berbatov looking very rock and roll on Goals on Sunday.

I hope Pulis does what he does best and beats Liverpool otherwise even Greenpeace won't be able to stop the pollution of our match thread later.

zerks wrote: »
    I hope Pulis does what he does best and beats Liverpool otherwise even Greenpeace won't be able to stop the pollution of our match thread later.

I guarantee it will be trashed before it starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

jayo26 wrote: »
    I guarantee it will be trashed before it starts.

That would be a shame, Jayo, after all the effort you put into it! :D:p

I would love a win today but I'm not hopeful at all, Chelsea will be up for it after Spurs result yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In the lovely words of Kevin Keegan, I will love it if we beat them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement