Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

It's all about momentum and that win is like 3 bonus points no one expected to get if we beat Burnley next week we are one point behind city and we still have to play them sorry but I'm right fuking up for this and I bet the team will too.

Pool on the other hand are safe and sound in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Rod Munch wrote: »
    By my count if we had won even half of them we would be 3 points off Chelsea.

:(

It's a sickener, but GSPfan's post below sorta puts it in perspective. Fear not, United will be back where they rightfully belong next season :)
    GSPfan wrote: »
    I understand what you mean here but to make it more bearable you need to know that if you go back and change one result then every action from that moment on is different so you don't know what might have happened. We might be worse off than we are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I don't agree

Confindance and showing a winning mentality against the team that's supposedly league champions

It's hugely important for all the team and beating Chelsea a huge rival convincingly is a delight

Fair play to the team and Jose

It shows this club are going in the right direction

Ah mick obviously you're right but I meant fk all in terms of us being in a title race this year.

It's a big win for us building for a team going forward, I just wish it was one to make a difference for us in a title race this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

jayo26 wrote:
    Slut

I still love you jayo26

In fact everybody should be loving everybody after today ...

Could someone please post that gif...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

EsIxJnD.gif

• ElChe32 wrote: »
    EsIxJnD.gif

Love you, my gif brother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

brinty wrote: »
    I still love you jayo26

In fact everybody should be loving everybody after today ...

Could someone please post that gif...

Nothing to say only jayo loved your post twice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

scudzilla wrote: »
    If Zlatan didn't sign a new contract and went off to China/MLS i'd be quite happy, thanks for the memories, see ya

I know he's scored a load this season but i really don't think he suits us, holds the play up way too much, give Rashers a full go and whoever we bring in

Can't disagree with this. Without Zlatan the play is more direct and quick. Zlatan usually gets the ball facing away from goal and has to pass it back or sideways unless he produces a classy move to beat a defender and keeper to get the ball heading towards goal. The Chelsea defence were beaten by pace today and sheer determination from the midfield coming up fast to support Rashford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

loving Rojo at centerback.... tough tackling, snide, clears the ball when needs be, not fazed, turning into one of my favourite players, miles better than Smalling or Jones.......him and Bailly make a nice team....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The choice isn't Zlatan or Rashford, there are plenty of games where Rashford wouldn't be allowed to play like he did today, games where Zlatan would be far more suitable.

The problem is that instead of them rotating it was all Zlatan all the time. We need to stop that, but we don't have to change it to all Rashford all the time, we need to utilise both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

scudzilla wrote: »
    If Zlatan didn't sign a new contract and went off to China/MLS i'd be quite happy, thanks for the memories, see ya

I know he's scored a load this season but i really don't think he suits us, holds the play up way too much, give Rashers a full go and whoever we bring in

This is completely knee jerk imo. Rashers has played up top before this season and looked totally out of his depth, light weight, bullied off the ball and pretty ineffective with his back to goal.

Now he was brilliant today, pushing Herrera for man of the match but Chelsea's defence played a high line, left him room to run into(granted he still had to take advantage of that and he did brilliantly).

Most of the teams we have played and struggled against have played much deeper and left little room in behind. We've struggled big time to break them down and I don't think Rashfords game would suit that role. That's why he has looked more effective out wide. He's found room out there, room to open his legs, room to receive the ball when running towards goal rather than with his back to it.

Zlatan has been a brilliant target man and focal point of the attack this season and with a fantastic goal haul. There is just no way I would be writing him off after one game.

Utd have always had pace in the team this season. It hasn't been with the striker but hasn't neeed to be as we have faced so many teams with men behind the ball. The pace has been out wide where the little bit of space has been found.

Zlatan has played his part in the setup brilliantly for the most part. He hasn't been the problem this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Zlatan in the previous game was trying to get Rashford onto the score sheet and eventually succeeded.
    I think Zlatan knew Rashford needed a goal badly and that it would help his confidence and maybe start a scoring streak.

Zlatan has been excellent for the team, he has a winning attitude and great determination. He helped get Rashford back scoring.
    A team player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I was amazed at Rashford's ability to hold up the ball and hold both Luiz and Cahill off and bring the rest of his team into play, it really does look like he is learning that part of the game from Zlatan and to add that to his pace and skill will make him a menace to opposition in the future. He has really bulked up and is pretty strong for his age

• Great post adox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Lads I told ye. Never seen us lose. Ander was unbelievable today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Love Herrera.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Further evidence for me in my ever growing belief we already have our Carrick replacement at the club in Ander.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I would get great enjoyment to see Chelsea implode and Spurs win the title

Unfortunately I dont see it happening

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Headshot wrote: »
    I would get great enjoyment to see Chelsea implode and Spurs win the title

Unfortunately I dont see it happening

I'd rather Chelsea tbh. Long term, Spurs winning cements them as a top level team. I'd rather they keep missing out and hopefully Poch leaves for one of the Spanish Giants. I'd be afraid, the way he is, that he would build massively on actually winning so the longer that can be delayed, the better.

• Advertisement

Spurs will win the Premier League eventually, but it won't be this season.

As for Poch leaving for one of the Spanish giants, I'd say he'll be managing Real Madrid in a few years. Ex Espanyol managing Barca, that wouldn't go down too well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'd rather Chelsea tbh. Long term, Spurs winning cements them as a top level team. I'd rather they keep missing out and hopefully Poch leaves for one of the Spanish Giants. I'd be afraid, the way he is, that he would build massively on actually winning so the longer that can be delayed, the better.

Stop talking sense

Im just thinking of the reaction from Chelsea fans and especially Arsenal

17884055_10154662715872746_4829979596260623566_n.jpg?oh=e23238ba5fae1d19cb7a7e2d6f0966a5&oe=5951F793

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Agree with the spurs part but I could see barca going all out for poch at the end of this season as Enrique is going, if he goes the spurs team might be picked apart

Edit: lithium mentioned him managing real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Didn't get to see match earlier so just watched highlights on motd.
    Rashford looked great, and more than held his own against Chelsea big CBs.

He's seriously bulked up fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

Danny Murphy so excited talking about the pool on MOTD. He's a grade A flutebag. At least he doesn't hide his biased as a pundit I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Headshot wrote: »
    Stop talking sense

Im just thinking of the reaction from Chelsea fans and especially Arsenal

It would sicken the scouse just as much, another on the list to win the PL before them.

It would be delightful.

As said though, cannot see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

mewe wrote: »
    Danny Murphy so excited talking about the pool on MOTD. He's a grade A flutebag. At least he doesn't hide his biased as a pundit I suppose.

He also said that United'a performance today was man for man the best performance of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

dubmick wrote: »
    He also said that United'a performance today was man for man the best performance of the season.

He's probably whipping himself as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Rod Munch wrote: »
    I was just thinking about that after the game.

Surely the most meaningless and uninspiring lossless streak in PL history.

Stupid fckuing draws.

Might be uninspiring now but if the team manages to get to the start of next season, it could be some motivation! Big task but would defo be something if could be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

adox wrote: »
    What he say?

Utd deserved the win. Wanted it more, had more desire, played better.

Blamed himself for not having the team motivated properly.

Refreshing really.

Bad winners but good losers. Nothing more annoying.

They can be made to look so ordinary at times.

If we show that energy, enthusiasm and commitment against every team I think we wouldn't have so many draws. The early goal (our earliest of the season) was so important in terms of the attitude.

All the credit goes to the players. Delighted Rashford got his reward because he always works that hard, every game which can't be said of all of them. Lingard has been often ridiculed in here but he's a very useful player with a great attitude.

• Advertisement

Is he running to catch a falling baby? Is he running to hit the emergency override on a nuke? The determination...

zIBBESd.gif

He'd give ya some Tombstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United got the win when needed, tough to beat.
    Next match will be tough, Burnley away, just need to keep winning in the PL and get 4th or higher...
    Do that and win the Europa league and it will have been a really good season.
    United this season has been better most of the time against attacking team rather than defensive strugglers...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

What a pass.

First goal was perfect counter to a counter attack side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

That game was thoroughly enjoyable yesterday. I've forgotten that feeling. I think the performances of Rashford and Lingard made it even better.

Does anyone know what formation we played yesterday? It looked like a 442 but with Herrera following Hazard all day it kinda got pulled out of shape a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

GSPfan wrote: »
    That game was thoroughly enjoyable yesterday. I've forgotten that feeling. I think the performances of Rashford and Lingard made it even better.

Does anyone know what formation we played yesterday? It looked like a 442 but with Herrera following Hazard all day it kinda got pulled out of shape a lot.

To be honest it was hard to nail down the formation which is why I think Chelsea struggled. Darmian was playing as a right back when we attacked but basically tucked in as 3rd centre back with young dropping across when we lost the ball. Pogba and Fellaini stuck centrally with Herrera playing within 5 yards of Hazard for the day.

Valencia again covered the right side of the pitch. Lingard and Rashford just didn't stop moving which was great to see

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Delighted for Lingard in particular. I don't think he has the raw talent to be a first team player for Utd but if he continues to work as hard on the pitch as he did yesterday he will be(and really already is) an incredibly valuable squad player. Eye for a goal, great pace and movement and will run all day. Most importantly, he seems to have a great attitude. I'd say Jose is very pleased with him.

Having players like Lingard around the club will show the academy lads that attitude and workrate are every bit as important as talent and technique.

Also, how impressive has Rojo been for us this season. He has flourished under Mourinho. Himself and Bailly will be hard to dislodge from team.

Very positive today, still don't think we'll get top 4 but I'm enjoying watching us under Jose and next season we will be even better.

Winning the Europa League would be brilliant. Utd belong in the champions league. We've been away from the top table of football for too long for a club of our size, resources and stature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I wouldn't expect to see that team/tactics again. It was tailored specifically for Chelsea.

There's been a finishing problem against most teams this season not a tactical one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Quandary wrote: »
    We've been away from the top table of football for too long for a club of our size, resources and stature.

We were there last year.

I know what you mean though. :)

• Anyone else wake up on the couch this morning like this?
    will-ferrell-living-the-dream.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Number of mins played by U23 players (23 or below at the start of the season)

ManUtd: 8223
    Spurs: 8735
    Chelsea: 369
    Arsenal: 7118
    Liverpool: 4217
    City: 6291

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Number of mins played by U23 players (23 or below at the start of the season)

ManUtd: 8223
    Spurs: 6214
    Chelsea: 369
    Arsenal: 7118
    Liverpool: 4217
    City: 6291

Ya wont win anything with kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Anyone else wake up on the couch this morning like this?
    will-ferrell-living-the-dream.gif
    I did tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Few of their posters were quite boys yesterday.

Its the small victories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Few of their posters were quite boys yesterday.

Its the small victories.
    The FA cup match thread was awful. The most passive-aggressive posters I've ever seen on this forum. So happy we beat Chelsea yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Jose destroyed Conte yesterday with a team selection that I and probably many others had little faith in beforehand. The man is the best and we have him, I wouldn't want anyone else managing United right now.

On 4th place it is obviously doable, we just need to beat Burnley and City and then match City's results, is it going to be an "easier" route to champions league than winning the europa league? Possibly not, but then putting all of our eggs in one basket can fail spectacularly if we Klopp it at any stage of the cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

If we can win our next two games against Burnley and City, and hope Liverpool drop 2 points in one of the two games against Palace or West Ham then the top 2-5 will look like....

2 Spurs P 33 Pts 74
    3 Liverpool P 35 Pts 70
    4 United P 33 Pts 66
    5 City P 33 Pts 64

I was writing off the top four but win those two games and we're right back in the mixer for it.

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    If we can win our next two games against Burnley and City, and hope Liverpool drop 2 points in one of the two games against Palace or West Ham then the top 2-5 will look like....

2 Spurs P 33 Pts 74
    3 Liverpool P 35 Pts 70
    4 United P 33 Pts 66
    5 City P 33 Pts 64

I was writing off the top four but win those two games and we're right back in the mixer for it.

It ain't over til the fat lady sings, and she's a long way from singing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement