Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

GSPfan wrote: »
    I love love love the optimism but one performance against Chelsea does not guarantee anything.

Especially since the nature of yesterdays performance does not necessarily transfer to games against the likes of Burnley.

Sad as it is to say it, yesterdays game was basically a small team playing above themselves to beat a big team. Man marking their danger man, everybody working their ass off for 90 mins, dropping men deep to stop them scoring, two fast lads up front trying to break at them with pace, huge delight at getting an unexpected victory, in so many ways it was the underdogs blueprint for success.

How much of that will apply to Burnley? What happens when we are back to trying to break down a team that just wants to stifle us?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Especially since the nature of yesterdays performance does not necessarily transfer to games against the likes of Burnley.

Sad as it is to say it, yesterdays game was basically a small team playing above themselves to beat a big team. Man marking their danger man, everybody working their ass off for 90 mins, dropping men deep to stop them scoring, two fast lads up front trying to break at them with pace, huge delight at getting an unexpected victory, in so many ways it was the underdogs blueprint for success.

How much of that will apply to Burnley? What happens when we are back to trying to break down a team that just wants to stifle us?

It won't be useful playing against likes of Burnley and WBA but the game Manutd played wasn't a blueprint of small team beating big team. It's big team completely dominating another big team.

We didn't set up to contain them. ManUtd negated their best player using man marking but also played lot with the ball. We were the team on front foot for the majority of the game and only once we scored the second goal and in the later stages of the game we dropped deep and defended.

Like I said it won't be helpful against small teams as they defend for 90 mins but the game against Chelsea was nowhere near how you described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    We didn't set up to contain them.
    That's how Mourinho described it after the game.
    He identified 4 positions as dangerous and he negated them all.
    Hazard and his opposite Pedro/Willian and the full backs.
    He played one man marker and two wingers, specifically to contain, successfully, what he saw as the clear dangers, from a side he would have known very well.

jacool wrote: »
    That's how Mourinho described it after the game.
    He identified 4 positions as dangerous and he negated them all.
    Hazard and his opposite Pedro/Willian and the full backs.
    He played one man marker and two wingers, specifically to contain, successfully, what he saw as the clear dangers, from a side he would have known very well.

Man Marking doesn't mean setting up defensively or containing them. Check the average positions of the players or the action zones, most of the game was played in Chelsea third than in ManUtd third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Man Marking doesn't mean setting up defensively or containing them. Check the average positions of the players or the action zones, most of the game was played in Chelsea third than in ManUtd third.

I dont think he ment it defensivley he setup to contain two specific threats in hazzard and pedro that made sire we could attack with ease. I was surprised how easy it was to get the ball into the chelsea half.

Chelsea fans moaning about refs :D

It was all started by the greatest freelance supporter in football.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I dont think he ment it defensivley he setup to contain two specific threats in hazzard and pedro that made sire we could attack with ease. I was surprised how easy it was to get the ball into the chelsea half.

Exactly. We contained Hazard using Man Marking and then played our game.
    jayo26 wrote: »
    It was all started by the greatest freelance supporter in football.

:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

United did set out to contain Chelsea. As they should. United also set out to dictate how the game would be played and dominate the game overall to win it.

That is what every big fixture is about.

It was not a game where the team was set up in hope that they may sneak a win or a draw. It was designed to win (outright).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Yep, it wasn't 10 men behind the ball stuff we dominated them for 60 mins or so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

One of the main reasons I wanted Jose was because he could change his plans depending on the opposition (as opposed to Moyes & LVG who played the same tactics regardless of who we played). Chelsea game was an example of that in action. I've no problem with playing "like a small team"; we got the result we needed.

beno619 wrote: »
    Yep, it wasn't 10 men behind the ball stuff we dominated them for 60 mins or so.

Exactly. I checked live updates in Telegraph, till around 60th min we even had more possession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I've no problem with playing "like a small team"; we got the result we needed.

I doubt anybody has a problem with it, you do what needs to be done. But the context was about what it means for our other games and in terms of our game play I'm not sure it means a whole lot, we won't be adopting those tactics against Burnley.

If we go out and put three past Burnley then I would be far more optimistic for the future, because those are the games we have struggled in previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

In the league we've more big games to play than small ones though. Spurs, arsenal and City all coming up and if he can come up with a blueprint to beat them then we're flying.

Jayop wrote: »
    In the league we've more big games to play than small ones though. Spurs, arsenal and City all coming up and if he can come up with a blueprint to beat them then we're flying.

Im hoping the so called smaller teams wont be as bad as we have been used to Burnley are the home team and even tho they will defend it hopefully wont be every man behind the ball if we sit back a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,342 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Jayop wrote: »

The big remaining games are horribly scheduled for us, especially if we get through in the EL on thursday.

Burnley home Sunday
    City away Thursday
    Swansea home Sunday
    EL game
    Arsenal away Sunday
    EL game
    Spurs away Sunday
    Southampton Away Wednesday.
    Palace home Sunday.

That EL - Arsenal - EL - Spurs bit is horrible.
    The EL final would potentailly be the Wednesday after the last Palace game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

If you're interested just in stats then the amazing two are that
    i) in this game Man Utd. had 9 shots with 3 on target - and scored twice!
    ii) Chelsea had zero shots on target !!

Against Liverpool the stats were also 9 (3) but with 1 goal scored

In comparison against Hull it was 16(6), against WBA 18(3), and against Watford a large 22(11) 2 goals scored in this game only.
    It will be interesting to see what he brings up against Burnley, a team they battered at Old Trafford 38(11) (but didn't score).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

realistically who can you see being sold and bought during the summer? seen talks of strootman again circling, is he really what we need?

realistically who can you see being sold and bought during the summer? seen talks of strootman again circling, is he really what we need?

The problem with figuring out who to buy is till we know if we get CL or not, you've got to form two lists. Lukaku or Griezmann aren't coming without Champions League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

If he's back to what he was before the injuries then yes.

Though I've not watched him in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

We need replacements for Rooney and Carrick. Please god we arent looking for a goalkeeper too

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    If he's back to what he was before the injuries then yes.

Though I've not watched him in a long time.
    sanchez maybe although he isn't a carrick kinda player is he? would love to see us sign the next real roy keane or viera, ballsy as **** and world class talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

sanchez maybe although he isn't a carrick kinda player is he? would love to see us sign the next real roy keane or viera, ballsy as **** and world class talent

ballsy as Brinty?

beakerjoe wrote: »
    We need replacements for Rooney and Carrick. Please god we arent looking for a goalkeeper too
    If we are we are... in no way would anyone want degea leaving but if it happens it happens. we are much more solid at the back now which will help another keeper out lets be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The problem with figuring out who to buy is till we know if we get CL or not, you've got to form two lists. Lukaku or Griezmann aren't coming without Champions League.

Aye while the argument could be that Pogba did I think he did because he has connections to the club. Griezmann is a possibility given the family including himself are/were United fans but it's unlikely.

I suppose the thing is that we can offer insane money to them. Jose is a big draw, and we will get back in the CL if not next year then the following one. I'd 100% expecting us to put up a serious title challenge next year even if we just have the team we have at the moment. It's a case of turning some of those 12 draws into wins.

As it stands we're 15 behind Chelsea with a game in hand. Win that game and it's 12 points. Had we converted just 3 of those draws that we managed to throw losing leads we'd be in there with a shout.

Everton - 89th minute equalizer Pen
    Arsenal - 89th minute equalizer
    Stoke - 82nd minute equalizer
    Bournemouth - 40th minute equalizer Pen

Now in the return games against Stoke and Everton we scored late equalizers so I know it swings in roundabouts.

Take 3 of those and our game in hand and the table could have looked like this...

Chelsea 75
    Spurs 71
    United 69
    Liverpool 66
    City 64

Not exactly a full on title challenge but at least we'd be up there. That's just turning 3 out of 12 draws into wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

If we were going for any Roma player, surely it would be Naingollan. He reminds me a lot of Vidal. Bags of energy, solid defensively, lots of bite about his tackles (not in a way that we'd have to print t-shirts to defend), and chips in with goals. He's having his best goal scoring season yet, this year.

He would be an excellent addition for us IMHO. I would much prefer him to Strootman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

v3ttel wrote: »
    If we were going for any Roma player, surely it would be Naingollan. He reminds me a lot of Vidal. Bags of energy, solid defensively, lots of bite about his tackles (not in a way that we'd have to print t-shirts to defend), and chips in with goals. He's having his best goal scoring season yet, this year.

He would be an excellent addition for us IMHO. I would much prefer him to Strootman.

Is he not another box to box player? Need a dedicated DM imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Liam O wrote: »
    Is he not another box to box player? Need a dedicated DM imo.

He is and has even been playing more of an attacking role this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Lineker interviews Mourinho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Love the the bit about the "reconnecting with the fans". :)

I'm relaxed what ever way this season goes, Jose has me trusting him that he'll sort things out in the summer, looking forward to the new season already what dreams i can dream of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Do we really think that CL would be that important in attracting top players. Surely they can see the history of the club & how it's progressing. Plus a lot will already know Jose

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    Do we really think that CL would be that important in attracting top players. Surely they can see the history of the club & how it's progressing. Plus a lot will already know Jose

The history of the club shows we have had CL football in two years of the four Fergie has been gone. Miss it again and it's 2/5. Jose's name Drew Pogba and Ibra this year, but won't be as big a draw if we miss CL football again this year. The likes of Griezmann or Lukaku will have suitors with CL available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think we totally overhype our History at times and the "Biggest Club in the World" stuff is cringe.

To play for Man United is still big appeal, but if a Barca, Madrid or Bayern call its they win not us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I think we totally overhype our History at times and the "Biggest Club in the World" stuff is cringe.

To play for Man United is still big appeal, but if a Barca, Madrid or Bayern call its they win not us.

But we are one of the biggest clubs in the world even if you think it is cringe or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

bangkok wrote: »

But we are one of the biggest clubs in the world even if you think it is cringe or not.

Biggest brands*

Not this sh!te again.

Are the billionaire sugar daddy clubs whinging about us being a bigger club then them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Are the billionaire sugar daddy clubs whinging about us being a bigger club then them?

Where did anyone say that?

But United clearly aren't one of the biggest clubs in the world at the minute, certainly not at the level of Bayern, Barca, or Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

No, some people just pointing out that you have to remain competitive to be relevant to keep it that way.

Lecister must be the biggest side in England having got furthest in the champions league by the lads rational

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Bayern lose because they don't pay the wages. Barca and Madrid are in a league of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Bayern lose because they don't pay the wages. Barca and Madrid are in a league of their own.

and yet neither Barca or Madrid could sign Pogba.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

bangkok wrote: »
    and yet neither Barca or Madrid could sign Pogba.....

And we couldn't sign Vidal. There is so much that goes into these things. Money, prestige, location, manager.....it's a silly debate really, because money trumps all, then you have Barca and Real on their own once the financial situation is equal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Refs love Real Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

J. Marston wrote: »
    Refs love Real Madrid.

Correction, they love Spanish teams

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Champions League thread is gonna be a great read :D

• Advertisement

No, some people just pointing out that you have to remain competitive to be relevant to keep it that way.

Good Job united have won trophies in each of the last two seasons so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lithium93_ wrote: »

People losing their ****.

Some very upset ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Managed to make a few quid out of it !

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

People losing their ****.

Some very upset ;)

A certain Simpson gif is appropriate for said thread
    Managed to make a few quid out of it !

Excellent.

L'Equipe saying Serge Aurier has agreed a move to us.

Know very little bout him other than his attitude problems.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement