Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

A right full is needed if Darmian isn't good enough for it,his attitude we hardly know bar what the media spin.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    L'Equipe saying Serge Aurier has agreed a move to us.

Know very little bout him other than his attitude problems.

A reported glimpse into some of these attitude problems...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2616518-serge-aurier-reportedly-suspended-for-laurent-blanc-zlatan-ibrahimovic-slur

If you don't feel like clicking: Aurier was lip-read saying in a periscope video that Laurent Blanc is "a f*gg*t", who "sucks Ibra" and "takes everything".

The reported attitude problems are something I reckon our manager could Jose out of him, but I don't think he's worth it and the club should look elsewhere.

Plus, he is from the Ivory Coast. Woah....I'm not racist, not any more than the rest of you pacman.gif What I mean is, that is another of our future back-line we would be losing to the ACON tournament along with Bailly.

Long term the club needs a replacement/upgrade for the soon-to-be 32 year old Valencia. I'm not sure if Aurier is that player. At 24, he has potential, but I'd currently rate Valencia higher than him and reckon age-wise, Tony V is good for at least another season. Jeez, the conditioning and athleticism of him, who knows how long Tony V will continue to play professional football for, be it with United or other clubs.

Ideally, I would like first-team additions this Summer to be focused on other areas of the field. A "one for the future" type signing for RB would be suitable while he plays understudy to Valencia for a season. I don't know if Aurier would be willing to take that role and I think the club could do better. Speaking of "one for the future", I'm eager to see more (or any) of TFM play at RB.

Hopefully that tweet about Aurier is bs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Valencia has a bit of the Cafu/Roberto Carlos about him alright in terms of what you feel could be longevity.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Lord TSC wrote: »
    L'Equipe saying Serge Aurier has agreed a move to us.

Know very little bout him other than his attitude problems.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/854479291844898817

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Bayern lose because they don't pay the wages. Barca and Madrid are in a league of their own.

Bayern pay huge wages. Lewandowski, Neuer are on massive wages and they paid 12 Million euros per year to Young Gotze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,342 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

zerks wrote: »

The guy isn't allowed to enter the UK, might want to get that sorted before we sign him!

• Rumour this morning that our man Ander is getting a new contract

Great news if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Wonder will it include a hazard clause?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Wonder will it include a hazard clause?

Definitely should have Hazard pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Rumour this morning that our man Ander is getting a new contract

Great news if true
    It was never going to be any other way, the lad loves United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,342 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Nailz wrote: »
    It was never going to be any other way, the lad loves United.

was strong rumours last year that he was eyeing up a move back to spain.

delighted he seems to have found a place in Jose's side, and that he is playing well. Have been a big fan of him since he arrived - couldn't understand LVGs reluctance to play him for much of his time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

was strong rumours last year that he was eyeing up a move back to spain.

delighted he seems to have found a place in Jose's side, and that he is playing well. Have been a big fan of him since he arrived - couldn't understand LVGs reluctance to play him for much of his time.

I can see why LVG didn't want to play him all that often; too much of his own player, too frantic and at times creative, and frequently volatile and would break away from regular patterns of play. LVG couldn't trust him to maintain his "philosophy"/system and the structures he wanted United to play with.

That was LVG's shortcoming however, not Herrera's.
    Ander is the kind of player that Jose loves.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So Ander Herrera's in line for a contract renewal, surely he'd be next in line for the Captain's armband as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Rumour this morning that our man Ander is getting a new contract

Great news if true
    He got a health and safety bonus in the contract for reducing hazards at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    So Ander Herrera's in line for a contract renewal, surely he'd be next in line for the Captain's armband as well?

I think thats always a hard thing to speculate about as a fan. He may be a talented player, but its so hard to judge a player on the merits of being a captain in my view.

There are many traits we simple cant judge from our POV, such as his genuine personality, his presence in the locker room, his relationship with other players. It really is something that a manager or fellow player can judge.

Ive played with players myself over the years and even though they are strong players, they simply didn't have the leadership abilities to be captains.

Personally I have always thought a good captain should be a central defender, midfielder from a tactical POV myself. But thats just me

• beakerjoe wrote: »
    I think thats always a hard thing to speculate about as a fan. He may be a talented player, but its so hard to judge a player on the merits of being a captain in my view.

There are many traits we simple cant judge from our POV, such as his genuine personality, his presence in the locker room, his relationship with other players. It really is something that a manager or fellow player can judge.

Ive played with players myself over the years and even though they are strong players, they simply didn't have the leadership abilities to be captains.

Personally I have always thought a good captain should be a central defender, midfielder from a tactical POV myself. But thats just me

He is though!
    Also, his best m8!!

juan-mata-ander-herrera.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Liam O wrote: »
    Is he not another box to box player? Need a dedicated DM imo.

Was Keane a defensive midfielder or a box to box player? I'd want a player who is capable at both ends. Goals are our major issue. Another DM/CM isn't going to help that IMHO, but a player that can chip in and contribute in other ways is the ideal.
    Lucas Hood wrote: »
    He is and has even been playing more of an attacking role this season.

I watch a lot of Roma - he has played the exact base position this season as last. He's a good enough player to play in whatever way the team needs, be it slightly more defensive or offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I don't normally go for all of this, and I'm not posting this to say one player is the better, more to say that Herreras stats are amazing.

https://twitter.com/FullTimeDEVILS/status/854766297275486208

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Jayop wrote: »
    I don't normally go for all of this, and I'm not posting this to say one player is the better, more to say that Herreras stats are amazing.

https://twitter.com/FullTimeDEVILS/status/854766297275486208

There is so much to love about Herrera. Phenomenal attitude, workrate, tenacity, great eye for a pass and (usually) the perfect amount of aggression. After DDG he is the first name on the team sheet for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Wish he'd drop his name to just Herrera tbh - would be so much cheaper to get it on the back of a shirt :p

Wish he'd drop his name to just Herrera tbh - would be so much cheaper to get it on the back of a shirt :p

No rule that you have to get the full name. :)

Don't know whether this was already posted here but Barney Roney writing a piece about Rashford. I do love his flower bollox style of writing.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/apr/16/marcus-rashford-offers-manchester-united-a-brighter-faster-future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Don't know whether this was already posted here but Barney Roney writing a piece about Rashford. I do love his flower bollox style of writing.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/apr/16/marcus-rashford-offers-manchester-united-a-brighter-faster-future
    A good read alright, a nice style of writing but still a poor man's version of the late great Con Houlihan, a genius with the written word, you could see it as you read his work... and what a character.... often looked like a homeless person. Really enjoyed the match on Sunday and that was listening to it whilst working in the garden.

Now that the papers can't talk up the Shaw v Mourinho conflict anymore, I see they have moved on to Martial
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/04/19/jose-mourinho-tells-anthony-martial-like-marcus-rashford-fresh/

• Advertisement

TBF I just read the same article in the Guardian and it's because he literally did say those things about Martial. How else should they report it?

Talking about Martial he said...
    “The same way I know what the players like, I think they also know what I like,” Mourinho said. “The same way I have to go in the direction of the players, the players they have also to come in my direction.

“That’s why Marcus Rashford, even without scoring goals, even without being since September with a goal in the Premier League, even without that he was always a player that I trust, always a player that I play, always a player that I support.

“Because he was always coming in my direction, in the direction I want from a player, what I want as a Manchester United player. Do I think Anthony is a player with great potential? Yes I think. Do I think he can play successfully for me? Yes I think. But he needs to give me things I like very much.”

I totally agree re the quotes, and Jose was making that general point re Martial, but I think the headline is a bit OTT, especially the "fresh bout of criticism" part which imo implies it's been a frequently recurring stream.

Reading the Herrera comments in the thread while listening to the guys on 'Off the Ball' wax lyrical about him...

rNHiqDG.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I wonder if there's any temptation to save a few million and minimise Martials playing time for the rest of the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I like this one and I couldn't think of any other stats to compare them with that's relevant to midfielder apart from the club's position in the table ha.

Screenshot_20170419-213714.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I wonder if there's any temptation to save a few million and minimise Martials playing time for the rest of the season

If that's the case he wouldn't have played after his last goal at all.

I totally agree re the quotes, and Jose was making that general point re Martial, but I think the headline is a bit OTT, especially the "fresh bout of criticism" part which imo implies it's been a frequently recurring stream.

Yeah fair enough the headline is a bit OTT but that's the press for you.

It's the defensive stuff where I'd have expected Kante to be far ahead of him that surprises me most. You'd expect more passes and forward passes from Herrera but to be ahead on tackles, arial duels, blocks, interceptions and clearances is amazing.

It's the defensive stuff where I'd have expected Kante to be far ahead of him that surprises me most. You'd expect more passes and forward passes from Herrera but to be ahead on tackles, arial duels, blocks, interceptions and clearances is amazing.

I was pretty surprised to when I seen that tweet so went to check myself and every stat I add to it over average of 90 mins he was ahead.

I suppose we do have a slightly better defensive record than Chelsea so maybe it shouldn't be that surprising.

I suppose we do have a slightly better defensive record than Chelsea so maybe it shouldn't be that surprising.

Could be and maybe because we park the bus too ya know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

jayo26 wrote: »
    Good Job united have won trophies in each of the last two seasons so.

Just seeing this now. I wasn't​ saying we aren't one of the biggest sides, but we do have to maintain it and usually getting into the cl is a requirement. We don't want a rep for not being in the biggest comp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The Hazard and Kante stats always leave out running which is Kante's biggest attribute. The stats for that aren't really available to fans though so they are harder to produce. It's clear who's had a better season. Herrera was phenomenal on Sunday however and if he keeps that up he's on his way to fulfilling his promise.

I actually think Herrera has looked sub standard in a lot of games this season and has been sent off twice. He is learning the position though so that can be excused somewhat.

The Hazard and Kante stats always leave out running which is Kante's biggest attribute. The stats for that aren't really available to fans though so they are harder to produce. It's clear who's had a better season. Herrera was phenomenal on Sunday however and if he keeps that up he's on his way to fulfilling his promise.

I actually think Herrera has looked sub standard in a lot of games this season and has been sent off twice. He is learning the position though so that can be excused somewhat.

Herrera's red card against Burnley was farcical and his red against Chelsea was as a result of an extremely harsh 1st yellow so I don't really think I'd hold those too much against him.

I'd agree with you about the Kante running stat though, that that would be his best attribute along with being very good at all the other things that Herrera came out slightly ahead in.

Yeah totally agree with you but was surprised at how well he does. I know everyone loved ander but I didn't expect home to do as well as he has done under jose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    If that's the case he wouldn't have played after his last goal at all.
    I guess my point is that the temptation must be growing with each passing game. At some stage it might be the logical thing to do. If the last game of the season was a nothing game and Martial was yet to get that additional goal then it seems like an obvious call.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I guess my point is that the temptation must be growing with each passing game. At some stage it might be the logical thing to do. If the last game of the season was a nothing game and Martial was yet to get that additional goal then it seems like an obvious call.

If we were moving him on in the summer which I don't believe will happen for a second.

• Jayop wrote: »
    No rule that you have to get the full name. :)

One of my jerseys has "Big Phil" on the back
    Sound

One of my jerseys has "Big Phil" on the back
    Sound

Scolari never played for United??? :)

• jayo26 wrote: »
    Scolari never played for United??? :)

Touche!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Ye have missed one of Anders most important attributes.

His ability to piss on the chips, spectacularly, of opposition fans.

Priceless tbh.

In other news a new United fan was born yesterday when Mrs Rod Munch gave birth to our son. Mother and baby doing well thank god.

She wouldn't let me call him Ander however.

Next one perhaps.

:)

Congratulations pal enjoy every minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The morning papers have depressing stuff,Dave to Madrid for £60 million ( but Courtois is another option)
    Jose will sell Mata and sees Talisca as his replacement.

Anyhow,paper never refused ink.

Congrats Munch. Good health to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Congrats to the new Munch bunch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement