Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

1191192193194195197»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I don't believe we have a buy back clause - the reports are incorrect as far as I understand. Memphis having a buyback clause (or first refusal) was remarked as being out of the ordinary (and smart) for United.

I believe the sale to Burnley had a percentage sell on clause attached, not a buy back. So United would get a percentage of whatever fee Burnley get for Keane. If we are buying him then I would guess this might be waived as it would be a zero sum game in the end (in respect of the clause). There might be accounting issues that make it attractive or unattractive to either United or Burnley to still use the clause - I dunno. Player amortization over the contract term would have a lower value if the purchase price United pay is lower but the sell on fee waived.

Maybe so but Sky did mention it when he appeared on camera on Sunday at OT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Keane is a quality footballer lads. Another one of the players who we sold as very promising youngsters but for some unknown reason we didn't (by all accounts) have the foresight to put a buy back clause in despite this being common practice in the continent for the last 20 odd years. It's frustrating in the extreme.

It's not a Pogba situation where he left out of contract, we got £3m for him at the time so we should have protected ourselves then. That said, he's out of contract in 2018 so how much would we have to pay for him? £15/20m I'd say would get the deal done.

Just on that, Kenny Cunningham was doing a soccer Lions team the other night on newstalk and his 2 CB's were Evans and Keane. On the back of the last 10 months it's hard to really argue with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I don't believe we have a buy back clause - the reports are incorrect as far as I understand. Memphis having a buyback clause (or first refusal) was remarked as being out of the ordinary (and smart) for United.

I believe the sale to Burnley had a percentage sell on clause attached, not a buy back. So United would get a percentage of whatever fee Burnley get for Keane. If we are buying him then I would guess this might be waived as it would be a zero sum game in the end (in respect of the clause). There might be accounting issues that make it attractive or unattractive to either United or Burnley to still use the clause - I dunno. Player amortization over the contract term would have a lower value if the purchase price United pay is lower but the sell on fee waived.

I agree with this, pretty sure I read at the time that we included a 20/25 % sell on clause, which we do have a habit of doing when we let young players go.

We have done first option clauses too when selling younger players and I think Brady and Shawcross had these until they renewed their contracts with their respective teams.

Here's his England game against Germany. He shows some really nice composure, great range of passing and looks solid as hell at the back against top opposition. The passes on 1 minute and 1.40 especially I liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

In that video he played alot on the right side of defence, could slot in nicely with bailly and rojo for times we wish to go 3 at the back....

OK, so on that how do we feel about the formation used on Sunday if not the same tactics?

It was probably best described as a 352
    DeGea
    Jones Bailly Darmian
    Val Fellaini Herrera Pogba Young
    Rashford Lingard

Now you obviously wouldn't have Herrera doing a man to man job on other teams but I really liked the set up despite that. It allowed us to go 2 up top. Now the only thing about this is it completely relies on Valencia playing as both a RB and as a RW. He's been doing that all season but with slightly more cover playing with 1 up front.

Take Herrera there for example. In this system he's going to be essentially a free man if he's not man marking. He was able to go anywhere on the pitch the last day to watch Hazard. If Hazard wasn't there he could go anywhere to get involved and try to impose himself on the game.

Darmain was tucked inside quite a bit and Young was really helping him as a winger/wingback. Could some of our other wide players do what Young did?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

At 9800 and its match night, so closing up now ahead of the 10,000th post

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement