Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• "Apparently" 100 million for Delli Alli
    Cool story Daily Fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    "Apparently" 100 million for Delli Alli
    Cool story Daily Fail

Good player but I wouldn't be interested in spending even 40m on him.
    If Pogba is going to be sticking around for a good while, he is just not the type of midfielder we should be looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Have had this debate last year and again this year with a Liverpool fan.

4th place or a cup win

I'll always go with a cup win. I'd be ok with it this year too. We may or may not qualify for champions league but the team compared to the last 3 years are like night and day. Those 10 players and a player to replace Carrick is fine by me next season. I'd say actual progression as a team but still be outside champions league but a cup of any sort is always great to win so I'm in the Cup camp whatever cup that is.

I do realise that continued years outside the top 4 can impact the type of player utd can buy ala say Liverpool but I don't see that pressure coming at the end of this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

"Apparently" 100 million for Delli Alli
    Cool story Daily Fail

Plays best further up the pitch as basically a second striker..

Griezmann is better in that position so I know who I would rather spend the money on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Have had this debate last year and again this year with a Liverpool fan.

4th place or a cup win

I'll always go with a cup win. I'd be ok with it this year too. We may or may not qualify for champions league but the team compared to the last 3 years are like night and day. Those 10 players and a player to replace Carrick is fine by me next season. I'd say actual progression as a team but still be outside champions league but a cup of any sort is always great to win so I'm in the Cup camp whatever cup that is.

I do realise that continued years outside the top 4 can impact the type of player utd can buy ala say Liverpool but I don't see that pressure coming at the end of this season

Europa league, two birds, one stone.

Innit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Liverpool match thread locked a few hours after the match?
    But... but... that only happens when United lose :pac:

Infairness that was probably more to do with the United side of posting then them.. It was fun but we probably did ruin any chance of a football conversation happening after the game.

However if we somehow manage to **** up tonight can you imagine the response from them haha and they be in every right to laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

In fairness to Liverpool, and while it's cool to slag them off, Southampton are a good team, a really envious club in terms of structure, and they've got what I believe is ANOTHER solid managerial appointment keeping things ticking over.

Looking at those two legs, they are defensively solid and they created a shedload of chances. They are clearly missing a good striker( I don't rate Long at all) but they could have really embarrased Liverpool across both legs.

I won't be taking them lightly at all in the final. And I say final, because any slipup against Hull in the current state would be a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Least we remembered his b-day unlike that other club in Manchester

:D

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Infairness that was probably more to do with the United side of posting then them.. It was fun but we probably did ruin any chance of a football conversation happening after the game.

However if we somehow manage to **** up tonight can you imagine the response from them haha and they be in every right to laugh.

In fairness it was probably down to that Liverpool fan talking about Dustin the turkey...

In fairness it was probably down to that Liverpool fan talking about Dustin the turkey...

Probably goes both ways but it was an enjoyable thread

Probably goes both ways but it was an enjoyable thread

Sure does but there was a few Liverpool fans crying that their threads get left open and United threads get closed after defeat, like there was some kind of mod bias when the fact is they mostly seem to behave much worse in those threads and get them locked from what I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd take top 4 + domestic cup or Europa as a good enough season all things considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Happy Birthday Jose

Hopefully the team put the icing on the cake tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

• Advertisement

• bangkok wrote: »

In the words of Conor: Who the **** is that guy :pac:

bangkok wrote: »

Wouldn't say heavily linked now? One Portuguese site linked us after the chairman name dropped us to speed up the deal by the looks of it. English press just copied that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

FAIL!!!

:p

Hey, better late than never.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

yabadabado wrote: »
    That match thread has an absolute classic post.The poor lad:eek:

The poster has hit a whole new level of pathetic,it has to be a wind up?

Do I need to remind you, you've gone lower than a snakes belly yourself, I don't think you can critique anything tbh.

Hull gonna have some amount of fans tonight and next Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

stankratz wrote: »

Is that sarcasm over the fact of injuries and players sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Gloryhunters :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Do I need to remind you, you've gone lower than a snakes belly yourself, I don't think you can critique anything tbh.

I didn't but you seem to want to find something to complain about.

I said it before but you may not have understood,if your aren't happy with a post then there is a report function .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

We should ask Lord to change the thread name to Manchester United Gloryhunters Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

This is why i never comment on other teams or go through their threads etc.

I only care about Manchester United. Everything else is just juvenile childrens playground. People need to grow the heck up. How many people were rejoicing Liverpools result at lunchtime Saturday and look how Karma came back and bit us on the arse.

Only focus on your team, makes life a lot more liveable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

brinty wrote: »

I only care about Manchester United. Everything else is just juvenile childrens playground. People need to grow the heck up. How many people were rejoicing Liverpools result at lunchtime Saturday and look how Karma came back and bit us on the arse.

TBF I did say that in our match thread before Stoke that our glee would bite us in the arse.

Ah well, it would take an almight balls up for us not to get through tonight, but SOTON will be no pushover in the final if we do indeed get there.

Ridiculing one of your greatest rivals when they are losing is part of the football culture I grew up in.. the problem is that most people are not able to take it back after they give it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

astradave wrote: »
    Ridiculing one of your greatest rivals when they are losing is part of the football culture I grew up in.. the problem is that most people are not able to take it back after they give it..

I had to endure Liverpool fans during the 80's and they think we are bad,they were ten times worse.Thank fook there was no social media back then.At least we are safe in the knowledge that over the last 11 seasons we won 9 trophies and they won a league cup,even in one of our worst seasons under lvg we won the FA Cup while they had a good laugh at our "demise".

zerks wrote: »
    I had to endure Liverpool fans during the 80's and they think we are bad,they were ten times worse.Thank fook there was no social media back then.At least we are safe in the knowledge that over the last 11 seasons we won 9 trophies and they won a league cup,even in one of our worst seasons under lvg we won the FA Cup while they had a good laugh at our "demise".

Liverpool fans can be bad and a group of sing when they're winning and picture no sound when they're 5h173 ...
    But my god Arsenal fans are the absolute worst whingers of all time.. asolute boom or bust merchants..

• astradave wrote: »

You should see the whatsapp group I'm in :pac::pac:
    It was called "haha Mick / Utd" up until around the end of November
    It's called "Next Year" now
    All a bit of craic, it's swings and roundabouts

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »

My elder brother was one of those is the 80's I was lucky enough that my father was a United fan and I grew up with him telling me stories of his travels from the early 70's. Got me hooked and went to OT for the first time with him as a 6 y/o in 89.

But yeah...

GLORYHUNTERS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

If we get through to the final tonight we should all dress up as a turkey and shout 'go on ya good thing'

You should see the whatsapp group I'm in :pac::pac:
    It was called "haha Mick / Utd" up until around the end of November
    It's called "Next Year" now
    All a bit of craic, it's swings and roundabouts

Ah jaysus the text group during THAT season was awful up until the slip up happened.. was brilliant afterwards.. think 3 or 4 people left the group so we just kept adding them back in :D

astradave wrote: »
    Ah jaysus the text group during THAT season was awful up until the slip up happened.. was brilliant afterwards.. think 3 or 4 people left the group so we just kept adding them back in :D

Slipped quietly out of the group did they....

• astradave wrote: »

That's the best bit
    Man up and stay in the group if your able to give it, take it on the chin when it comes the other way.
    I remember when it first came out you could freely add people to the group and there was no way they could block it initially.
    whatsapp eventually added the feature to block people adding you to a particular group so some of the fun got sapped :P

Match thread up guys hopefully it will be a quiet one :)

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057698184/1/#post102413047

Match thread up guys hopefully it will be a quiet one :)

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057698184/1/#post102413047

Not a chance it'll be quiet mate, there'll be lots of ABU's in there for a laugh

Not a chance it'll be quiet mate, there'll be lots of ABU's in there for a laugh

Early goal from united will make sure its quiet.

Early goal from united Hull will make sure its hopping and brimful of ABU's.

FYP mate

• Advertisement

As astradave said, it's ingrained in a lot of us and the measure of you isn't how good or prolific you are at giving it, but taking it when it's your turn. All fanbases have their various fans who partake in it/don't, who can take it/who can't, we're no different than the opposition fans and we all have our moments.

From what I could see over the last 3 full seasons though, United fans didn't just take it but agreed with it in large part. I myself got many breif laughs, unfortunately, from the likes of some of the memes and Paddy Power videos which took a shot at a mighty giant on the wane.

In the grand scheme of things with no trophies won at the moment and occupying 6th in the league, we've nothing really to be laughing at our rivals about. Still, they haven't much to be laughing at us about and still do, we're all just picking the scraps which are going at the moment and trying to make a nice meal from them until the yummier chips fall in late April/May.

Still though, not our fault for firing some shots after United get derided by opposition fans and manager for playing a certain way for a few minutes of a match, then employ it heavily themselves, and unsuccessfully, in the following games (see: longballenpasse). And not their fault for feeling tempted to fire shots when some United fans get overjoyed at their loss against Swansea, with a tricky away fixture to Stoke yet to begin. Stuff like that keeps the machine ticking over.

That's all about slagging though, more than anything I want to see all of our rivals fail as much as possible because we need them to in order to gain places in the league and be successful ourselves. That's what it comes down to with me in a very close season like this.

Memphis on Mourinho and his departure from United, courtesy of ESPN...
    Memphis wrote:
    "His words were nice. In Manchester, I always worked as I had to. For me personally, it wasn't all that easy, I needed to play. But we didn't have a bad relationship"

"He's a great coach and a great person. Now we'll see here how I play. In any case, I think he has said good things about me."

He says some more stuff about arriving at Lyon, it seems like a profile piece to support his arrival at the club http://www.espnfc.com/manchester-united/story/3046491/memphis-depay-praises-jose-mourinho-despite-lack-of-man-united-game-time (ESPN and their damn autoplay vids:mad:)

Good to see that Jose can have serious conversations with players where he has to just tell them how it is, without souring the relationship or demotivating the player. Like with Mkhitaryan, Schweinsteiger, Smalling, possibly Shaw once we see him again, the departed Memphis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Very strong line up.

I was hoping Shaw would start but be good if he gets a run out.
    No real need to play Carrick or Zlatan but they probably get rested at weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Very solid lineup alright. Carrick should be able to influence this game for us and if the team gets and early goal you would imagine we would sail through. An early goal for Hull would could make things nervy though.

We really should be making the final and a failure to do so would be very very poor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Thought I read Jose saying Romero was starting and Johnstone would be on the bench. Anyway, Shaw still benched.

Happy with the line up though.

EDIT: No Martial either! Wondering if he'll be with us next week at this rate....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

yabadabado wrote: »
    That match thread has an absolute classic post.The poor lad:eek:

The poster has hit a whole new level of pathetic,it has to be a wind up?

What was the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Lingard and Rashford on the wings should be interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i would just love us to score some goals i dont care who scores them just goals.

an early one would be particularly nice.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Thought I read Jose saying Romero was starting and Johnstone would be on the bench. Anyway, Shaw still benched.

Happy with the line up though.

EDIT: No Martial either! Wondering if he'll be with us next week at this rate....

Jose mentioned in the press conference for this game that DDG was going to get rested and that Romero would feature, with Pereira on the bench. At this point in the press conference though, he was talking in the context of Martial getting time off and going to Paris last weekend, like it was no big deal because DDG will have free time this weekend to go to Spain if he wants to.

In short, it was hard to tell if he was talking about tonight's game or the Wigan game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Still no Martial? What's going on. :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement