Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Actually, let's go with some good news too...

https://twitter.com/PierreMenes/status/826913614120484865

He writes for Canal, and is apparently decently credible. Says we've an agreement with Griezmann, Madrid won't let him go for less than his release clause which we're willing to pay.

Hard to get excited over anybody really when you see how some of the big names turn out when they arrive in Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

bangkok wrote: »
    Mourinho being childish again in post match interview
    Suppose he'd rather walk off and say nothing rather than spout some bollocks about it being windy and get the piss ripped out of him i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nalz wrote: »

Ha that's a bit cringe alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What exactly is he good at?

Twitter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Didn't rush home to catch a stream. Enjoyed a laugh and a few drinks. Had nearly all but assured myself dropped points were coming. Team just can't capitalise.

Anyway have been pretty ok accepting this season as a platform for Jose to learn the club, the team and build for second season glory. A cup or two wouldn't go amiss this season.

But the attack needs coaching. The players are fine. Still have some of the worst finishing stats in the league. That's embarrassing.

But I'm not getting massively annoyed anymore this season at it. Team can't manage it, so no point clinging onto hopes and hoping the teams above collapse when we can't beat cannon fodder st home.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Bashing a young player for posting a social media video of some friends messing round annoys me.

Like...there's plenty to actually bash him about. Do people expect him to sit at home between training sessions staring at a wall?

Yes, Pogba has been poor for a few games now. THAT should be the focus of attention. Moaning about him dancing with some friends in downtime is just unnessecary imo.
    It's cringy and bad timing and in United's training dressing room I suppose. I'm on the fence about it, see both views.

Get your game then take your fame.
    adox wrote: »
    Absolutely. I'm a grumpy old bollix and I didn't even give it a second thought, or his hair cuts. I find it strange the attention it's getting.

Im kinda on the fence too I mean I dont mind them doing it, but it invites extra media attention on yourself when you arent playing well which in turn invites more pressure to play well and obviously the less pressure the better its a hard one to judge I know.

IMO have the craic but no need to post it as the media love to hang players over anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

What about all the games he played and he was brilliant?

Against who?

Teams he should be looking brilliant against.

You need to put some perspective on this.

Kante cost 30m....let that sink in for a min. he's more than 3 times the price of kante and has put in some performances against middle of the road teams....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Hard to get excited over anybody really when you see how some of the big names turn out when they arrive in Manchester.

The Galactico experiment didn't work in Madrid and it's not looking good in Manchester by the looks of it.

The Galactico experiment didn't work in Madrid and it's not looking good in Manchester by the looks of it.
    Seems to have worked just fine over at Eastlands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

While we should have won today. We were a post away from losing too.
    Hull are well managed and seem to have got their **** together with the new manager.
    Can see them beating Liverpool on Saturday. I still think Liverpool are going to bottle it, looking at klopps carry on recently he's definatley feeling the pressure.

• Advertisement

Am I the only one that thought Mata played well when he came on, I thought our pasiing became much better and bar the miss, I wouldnt have any complaints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

kona wrote: »
    Hull are well managed and seem to have got their **** together with the new manager.
    Can see them beating Liverpool on Saturday. I still think Liverpool are going to bottle it, looking at klopps carry on recently he's definatley feeling the pressure.

Need more than Liverpool to bottle it

Did you see our manager tonight post match?

He sounded like me on here (which isn't a good thing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Even if your right utd still need another team to drop out though. All the talk is about Liverpool dropping out but that is only half the problem.

Am I the only one that thought Mata played well when he came on, I thought our pasiing became much better and bar the miss, I wouldnt have any complaints

Yeah I thought he did fairly well bit the ball was being given away so cheaply up to that, that anyone with some sense of calm would have looked good.

Thought he was a little unlucky perhaps with the miss. It was an incredible save.

The amount of unforced errors with passes was horrendous. A complete lack of application bythe players. Like we know they can pass a ball.

Christ, I thanked a niallo27 post.

I've hit rock bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

****in hell there's a few heads in here I haven't seen in months. Some people only like to post when things go wrong, the attention Pogba is getting for poxy video is ridiculous. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, he has done it before United so people shocked by it need to get a hold of themselves.

Pogba like most tonight wasn't great, he put two super 60 yard balls over the top that Rashford controlled and then fluffed in one instance, the other Ibra lost flight of the ball either of them finish it and we are talking about two sublime passes. How Pogba gets this stick when Rashford was consistently giving the ball away, Mkhitaryan and Ibra were anonymous, its ridiculous.

We weren't good enough tonight, I felt Martial should have started and should have been the first sub, Rooney was poor and looked lost again. Mata has got to be taking chances like that, that's two sitters in the league in the last two weeks that's cost us points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

I think sweini should have played this evening seeing how he was playing the last match but..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Hull got smashed the weekend in the cup, have sold there best player and are bedding in players just signed. They are bottom of the table and if ever a team were there for the taking, it was Hill tonight. They were battered in the FA Cup the weekend and might do us a favour but we aren't doing ourselves any favours at the moment to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

He was signed as a player that will be at the club for the next 10 years. He is 23. A baby in midfield terms. 7 goals in his first season at the club and will prob get double figures. A few bad games and everyone jumps on him. What about all the games he played and he was brilliant?

A few bad games.... Ah c'mon now

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

stankratz wrote: »
    How is one of those groups the same as the other, at all? I tried to engage with you a few weeks ago on Valencia. Offering an argument and examples of not why he was great, but why he was not as useless or ineffective on the attack as the one-liners suggest. You didn't respond, but kept on making the one-liners anyway.

You're doing it again with Martial. To say he offers a whole lot of not much lately, full stop? It's not an accurate or a fair assessment at all. That's judging him on his pre-December form, which was atrocious, and not taking into account any improvement in form since then, which there has been. Without him, a loss was imminent at home vs Middlesbrough on New Years Eve where we would have been even more adrift of the Top 4 going into tonight's game. That's one example of him offering something significant recently off the top of my head, there are more which show he has been better than such a dramatic one-liner suggests.

Bull****. I stated an opinion regarding Valencia, it was stated clearly and with reasoning, it was a correct opinion and in every game since we have seen evidence of what I said. Engaged with you? Do you think I'm one of those that repeats myself over and over with everybody who disagrees? I don't even remember you "engaging" but even if you had it wouldn't matter, my points on Valencia are still there in black and white for all to see and I would have no intention of some Prof style multiquote borefest attempt to justify them.

And I'm right about Martial as well, but like Valencia some people just can't see it. The Middlesborough game? An example off the top of your head? Want to know how I knew you would pick that game?

You seem to have a problem with my posts but frankly I couldn't care less, go and learn the wonders of the ignore list or something since I probably have a few other opinions you don't like either regarding our restrictive striker, our weak full back and our overrated midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The team on the pitch should have beaten Hull, changes are irrelevant to our problem

I didnt find it bizzare a bit childish at the end but the interviewer was trying to draw him into critisising the ref, honestly Jose just needs some stock answers to give the press everygame and **** em after that as they try draw him on stuff and twist things, same with all the managers. The press get away with murder if managers starting giving them f all to write about they might go back to talking about the matches after games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Certainly disappointing tonight at home to Hull but nothing another 200 million in the summer couldn't solve (or make worse)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

We can only push for the Europa now and it should be priority no.1. Talk of the top four is now totally deluded. The past two weeks were our opportunity there and we **** ourselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

spiralism wrote: »
    We can only push for the Europa now and it should be priority no.1. Talk of the top four is now totally deluded. The past two weeks were our opportunity there and we **** ourselves

Well, it 100% is not deluded. It's still very much there for the taking. At the same time, that's an abject performance that has been the nature of our performances in January. If Ibra isn't on form, our whole team struggles for goals. A damning indictment of our midfield and wingers at this stage. Some of the other guys need to stand up and be counted.

spiralism wrote: »

Well, it 100% is not deluded. It's still very much there for the taking. At the same time, that's an abject performance that has been the nature of our performances in January. If Ibra isn't on form, our whole team struggles for goals. A damning indictment  of our midfield and wingers at this stage. Some of the other guys need to stand up and be counted.
    It's there for the taking provided we wont piss down our legs any time the opportunity arises, which is what we'll do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just heard Greizmann news

Helps but still annoyed :pac:

Need more than Liverpool to bottle it

Well I'm assuming arsenal keep to tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Just heard Greizmann news

Helps but still annoyed :pac:

???????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

He's a fan of Pogba's dancing ??

Did you see our manager tonight post match?

He sounded like me on here (which isn't a good thing).

Yeah saw the clip. The interviewer was trying to get him to say the ref was ****e. Which of course is true. He walked off so he avoids a fa ban.
    Journalist was a brain donor .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I thought tonight was make or break for top 4 but there is 40% of the season left. More than enough time to gain 4 points on both teams. Now our form is bad but if we can pick it back up soon we have a decent chance. Considering we have to play City too.

I know even some were saying we could catch Chelsea (slim chances). Put it this way, if we were second by 4 points, no one would say we're even close to being out of the title race.

Now I'm not confident we'll get it but it's not like we are 12 points off it. We need our form to pick up ASAP.

Bit bored so here is some stats from the season.

Big chances missed, (not sure how this is calculated) https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_missed

Utd 29
    Pool 23
    City 22
    Arse 21
    Chel 20
    Spurs 20

Hit woodwork

UTD 16
    City 12
    Spurs 12
    Pool 11
    Arse 11
    Chelsea 8

Penos Awarded(scored)

City 7(5)
    Pool 6(6)
    Spurs 6(4)
    Arse 5(3)
    Chel 3(2)
    UTD 1(1)

Pogba was a shocking enough 75 shots (4th highest in the league) 23 on target and 4 goals to show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Much more effective use of 80-odd million pounds than Pogba to be fair. Would be a great buy whatever the cost.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Much more effective use of 80-odd million pounds than Pogba to be fair. Would be a great buy whatever the cost.

Ah its still too early to tell with Pogba, plenty have struggled in thier first season in the Premier league and come good but plenty have failed too mind. Griezman would be an exciting one to sign at least, not sure where he fits in but im guessing at 10 or right wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ah its still too early to tell with Pogba, plenty have struggled in thier first season in the Premier league and come good but plenty have failed too mind. Griezman would be an exciting one to sign at least, not sure where he fits in but im guessing at 10 or right wing

In most cases i'd totally agree with affording time, but when you're buying the most expensive player of all time, kind of the point is that you know exactly what you're getting - a proven, known quality player who will come in and be unbelievable right off the bat. Anything else and the price is too much. I think Greizmann gives you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Always a magic wand fix mentality.

There is no magic wand.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    In most cases i'd totally agree with affording time, but when you're buying the most expensive player of all time, kind of the point is that you know exactly what you're getting - a proven, known quality player who will come in and be unbelievable right off the bat. Anything else and the price is too much. I think Greizmann gives you that.

Its impossicle to correlate everything though, the market went absolutely nuts in the last 2 years, so the most expensive tag is somewhat misleading he is still just a footballer one that may need time to adjust. Football is also still a team game and United are a team in trasition (albeit a long one but that is more down to 3 managers in 4 years with wildly differing opinions on how the play the game.

That last point has left us with an unbalanced squad, while I think our depth is better then it has been in a few years we still lack top quality in a few positions in the first team.

Who was the last real big money signing from abroad to hit the ground running in the Premier league. I might be missing someone obvious but Costa would be my best guess but came into a more settled side. (actually prob KBD but again came into a very settled side and had previous experience of the Premier league)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

If we're going to play Pogba then he has to take one or two touches on the ball at most. Early ball into Zlatan. Forget about roy of the rovers stuff for instagram.
    Could of course play carrick and sweinsteiger in midfield. young on left, linegard on right. let jones and rojo defend without babysitter in front of them - they're good enough, one of the few things that's working. Focus on getting the ball in to the penalty area early, often and from every angle and score plenty of simple goals. Put two of zlatan, martial, rashford up front.

Too much tippy tappy, arsing around out the field at the moment. It's not complicated - get the ball into dangerous areas as often as possible, create chances - score more goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

On boat home from game and am knackered. Did the 24 hour boat/coach trip and it's tiring cause I have been up since 5.30am yesterday!

Game was poor. Team were off ,looked flat footed and a little lacking in some areas. Too many players were not great.

In saying all that, I've enjoyed the trip. €99 all in was just superb value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Superstars tend to turn to shíte, or be a twat in one instance, at Old Trafford over the last few seasons. Griezmann doesn't fill me with excitement.

Ted111 wrote: »
    Focus on getting the ball in to the penalty area early, often and from every angle and score plenty of simple goals. Put two of zlatan, martial, rashford up front.

Too much tippy tappy, arsing around out the field at the moment. It's not complicated - get the ball into dangerous areas as often as possible, create chances - score more goals.

We are currently 2nd in the amount of crosses per game and joint 2nd for through balls per game so we are getting the ball in often and early. We need higher quality balls played in, more composure and better movement off the ball.

One example tonight and I know Toni V gets a hard time but righltly so IMO, they played a great 1 2, toni had acres of space in the opposition box and crossed it first time to a place no one was. It was beyond poor just looked like a default cross instead of looking up to see where our players were.

Its not all about tippy tappy its about smart passes, runs, crosses.

Bull****. I stated an opinion regarding Valencia, it was stated clearly and with reasoning, it was a correct opinion and in every game since we have seen evidence of what I said. Engaged with you? Do you think I'm one of those that repeats myself over and over with everybody who disagrees? I don't even remember you "engaging" but even if you had it wouldn't matter, my points on Valencia are still there in black and white for all to see and I would have no intention of some Prof style multiquote borefest attempt to justify them.

And I'm right about Martial as well, but like Valencia some people just can't see it. The Middlesborough game? An example off the top of your head? Want to know how I knew you would pick that game?

You seem to have a problem with my posts but frankly I couldn't care less, go and learn the wonders of the ignore list or something since I probably have a few other opinions you don't like either regarding our restrictive striker, our weak full back and our overrated midfielder.

I have no problem with your posts whatsoever apart from the points I detailed in the post you're responding to. Anything else is your own creation. If you want to get excited and start getting caught up on a word, "engage", well then we should leave it if that's what we're going to argue over. But that particular time, you quoted me on a post about Valencia, I wrote you back a detailed response on why I thought his attacking wasn't as bad as you were saying. That was the end of it.

For the record since we're talking about it though, and not that you might give a shít at this stage, but you're a poster whose posts I've come to enjoy reading and find myself agreeing with in the last year. I don't have an ignore list, and putting you on one would detract from my experience of the thread. Yes, I can remember having a snarky back and forth with you once or twice in the past, but I really have no problem with your posts in general. That's not what I was trying to do earlier. I felt that in the past Valencia's case, and now Martial's, had a bit more to them than the negative one-liner.

But do you know what Buckety? Fúck it and fúck me. Valencia, Martial, whoever, someone else can write the TLDRs on them and try to defend their performances and get into online arguments. No matter what, we're 6th, none of them are worth it. A few hours, a nap and some work later, and I'm still sick with that performance and no amount of words will put a good shine on it or defend the players.

This needs to be stickied for the rest of the season.

Yeah so having slept on it, I take this back alright. Heat of the moment stuff.

I still think personally that last night sealed our fate and we will finish outside the top 4 but of course this isn't written in stone and we could still make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

If we do finish outside top 4 it'll be the home draws that cost us. We have won more games away than at Old Trafford. Teams come and pile the defence at Old Trafford and are coming away with a point. Smarter play at home needs to be tried instead of endless crosses into the box. Perhaps sit back and let the opposition have the ball for a few minutes, draw them out a bit from defence and make quick counter attacks. We have great pace in the team now and I reckon we could end up getting better results playing more defensively at home.

Watching the match last night seemed to be something from the Moyes era, get the ball out wide, hopeful cross into a crowded box, and repeat over and over.

Yeah so having slept on it, I take this back alright. Heat of the moment stuff.

I still think personally that last night sealed our fate and we will finish outside the top 4 but of course this isn't written in stone and we could still make it.

I agree... So what are we missing? What kind of player(s) would have made the difference last night? And vs Pool, Stoke twice, West ham, Burnley and Arsenal??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ted111 wrote: »
    If we're going to play Pogba then he has to take one or two touches on the ball at most. Early ball into Zlatan. Forget about roy of the rovers stuff for instagram.
    Could of course play carrick and sweinsteiger in midfield. young on left, linegard on right. let jones and rojo defend without babysitter in front of them - they're good enough, one of the few things that's working. Focus on getting the ball in to the penalty area early, often and from every angle and score plenty of simple goals. Put two of zlatan, martial, rashford up front.

Ya Pogba can be very slow on the ball,it sounded last night a few times the crowd were getting pissed off with his lack of urgency,

• Advertisement

Ya Pogba can be very slow on the ball,it sounded last night a few times the crowd were getting pissed off with his lack of urgency,

He needs two or three touches then wants to shoot or Hollywood pass

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement