Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Leicester are two places out side the relegation zone they're fighting for their lives especially with Hull and Sunderland both wining today it will be a close match tomorrow but with two of the top six faltering today we need to be blood thirsty tomorrow, win or die.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

stankratz wrote: »

Oh, and since I'm so concerned about the beautiful game - If our lads could stop throwing themselves on the ground in the penalty area out of desperation when the final whistle is approaching and the result isn't going their way, that would be great. It's pathetic in both conception and appearance, plus completely futile.

Then there's Rooney trying to claim handball for the ball hitting any part of the opposition's torso in the box. Rooney got himself a yellow card for protesting against a 'chest' that wasn't given the other night.

This. We were an embarassment the other night diving looking for penalties and the booking was good enough for Rooney.
    Really pathetic to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Well **** it, I'm going all optimistic and expecting a win tomorrow.

We are like a cat with nine lives at the moment. Sooner or later the penny will drop and we will pull out a performance.

Tomorrow's the day biatches.

Leocster are in a major rut and seem to have a few problems they also have third worst form in the premier league... NO EXCUSES tomoro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Leocster are in a major rut and seem to have a few problems they also have third worst form in the premier league... NO EXCUSES tomoro

Who are worse then them?

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Who are worse then them?

Palace and Southamptom surprisngly, thats league form over 6 games mind

Palace and Southamptom surprisngly, thats league form over 6 games mind

I wouldnt of thought Southampton. Klopps team must be fairly close to been down there at this stage too are they

I wouldnt of thought Southampton. Klopps team must be fairly close to been down there at this stage too are they

6 points in 6 games and that includes a win via city and draws with us and chelsea. Poor return but a tough enough 6 games but lost to hull swans and drew with sunderland topsy turby land with them

Jayop wrote: »
    The funny thing is that had we beat hull then the chances of Liverpool beating them would have been better as their confidence wouldn't have been as high.

To be honest, around 10 days ago I wouldn't have even considered Liverpool to be one of the low-hanging teams there for United to catch. I thought it would be Arse, City and/or Spurs if anyone was going to let us in.

Arsenal will be Arsenal, but Liverpool have seriously gifted us and the rest of the Top 6 lately. Whatever about us taking their place, they're in serious, immediate trouble for the Top 4 from City. Barely weeks ago they were stable in 2nd position.

Just goes to show how unforgiving it is at the top end of the table. We'll be seeing just how unforgiving for ourselves if more points are dropped tomorrow. Not only will we go adrift of the pack, but Everton are hot on our heels and in good form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I have no doubt we will dominate possession and chance statistics tomorrow. I also have no doubt that unless we get another fortunate off side ruling in our favour that we will struggle to score goals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

If we don't get forth I really don't care if we come 5th or 7th.

• adox wrote: »

We are like a cat with nine lives at the moment. Sooner or later the penny will drop and we will pull out a performance.

Hope you're right adox :(
    I'm still browned off about the midweek game

6 points in 6 games and that includes a win via city and draws with us and chelsea. Poor return but a tough enough 6 games but lost to hull swans and drew with sunderland topsy turby land with them

They are much the same as us so. The only thing that gives me a decent bit of hope is we look like a mourinho team defensively we are well organised since the Chelsea defeat and we are creating going forward its really the final peace of the jigsaw to fit in.

They are much the same as us so. The only thing that gives me a decent bit of hope is we look like a mourinho team defensively we are well organised since the Chelsea defeat and we are creating going forward its really the final peace of the jigsaw to fit in.

I wont look back through ours itd only depress me :o I think we just need a bit more composure we really do miss some high quality chances, hopefully we can get it going tomoro

The wave is building on him, there are LVG and Moyes win-rate comparisons out there already and the media are adding to the pressure. Looking at Liverpool so far this year, they are starting to resemble a Jurgen VanKlopp team.

Only thing is, I have seen United resemble more of a Moyes or LVG side for long spells in recent games than a Jose one, and we're 6th, so I can't get too 'concerned' about Klopp and Liverpool just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I reckon we will win the first half and then draw the second half,

The reason i know this is because I will miss the first half while playing Golf.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Its the hope that kills you.

Midweek for rivals couldn't have went much better and we cocked it up.

Today couldn't have went much better.

Tomorrow....

I have a morbid fear in the summer it's going to be a case of the well ifs and it will be full of lamentations.

We will win tomorrow, our bad luck / bad finishing cannot continue.

Type Amen and pray for the angles.

adox wrote: »

I hope to be in that optimistic frame of mind by tomorrow. I probably will be and then 3pm will arrive with the team line-up, and there goes the optimism!

Lets all just remember though - The level of hope and expectation prior to the event is directly proportional to the potential meltdown in the aftermath of said event :D

My level of optimism at the moment - Surely Ibra is due a goal, even if we lose 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Hope you're right adox :(
    I'm still browned off about the midweek game

Me too but we have been given another chance. I think the game is set up for our fast players tomorrow and hope to see them feature. Leicester will have to come out and play. The likes of Miki Martial and Rashford could film their boots tomorrow if selected.

The intensity needs to be there though first and foremast both on and off then all. Something that's been missing the last few games.

Only thing is, I have seen United resemble more of a Moyes or LVG side for long spells in recent games than a Jose one, and we're 6th, so I can't get too 'concerned' about Klopp and Liverpool just yet.

I can't agree with you on this in all of our drawn games this year apart from one maybe they were moments in them where you say we could of taken a win there easily and I know even in the Hull game they hit the bar but generally we have created more and just not finished.

Last year with lvg we looked run out of ideas and we were passing for passing sake of it and when we did win it was luck.

Even if we don't make top four this year id still be 100 percent behind the direction the team is going without a doubt we just need to add the goal scorers if our current ones can't step up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Positive hat on. Leicester are absolute cack, we should be fine tomorrow.

Hull are a dogged team and very hard to break down. They are in better form than most of the top 6. They've made up half of the poor games we had in recent weeks.

Back on track tomorrow lads. Chins up, chests out :pac:

adox wrote: »
    Me too but we have been given another chance. I think the game is set up for our fast players tomorrow and hope to see them feature. Leicester will have to come out and play. The likes of Miki Martial and Rashford could film their boots tomorrow if selected.

The intensity needs to be there though first and foremast both on and off then all. Something that's been missing the last few games.

Good point adox. They are in real danger of going from champions to relegation at this point, and can't really afford to come out parking the bus at home from 0-0. This could work to our own strengths and open up the game, although if they get an early goal we could be in for a long, torturous afternoon.

As for fast players, put them all out there tomorrow behind Ibra; Mkhi, Martial and Rashford.

Even if we don't make top four this year id still be 100 percent behind the direction the team is going without a doubt we just need to add the goal scorers if our current ones can't step up.

To be honest Jose seems to be ****ing up both Shaw and Martial two of our brightest prospects. Publicly critising them is not IMO the way to treat players.
    And his insinstance on never taking Ibra off and playing him in every league game is also stalling martial and Rashford progress. For our future gain these two need much more game time togethr up front at Ibras expense and that should start tomorrow

I can't agree with you on this in all of our drawn games this year apart from one maybe they were moments in them where you say we could of taken a win there easily and I know even in the Hull game they hit the bar but generally we have created more and just not finished.

Last year with lvg we looked run out of ideas and we were passing for passing sake of it and when we did win it was luck.

You might still disagree Jayo, but I'm talking about very recent games and not our season in general. I'm also fully behind the direction the team is going in and just see it as a blip at the moment. 7th or 2nd, Jose needs to be here for a second season.

That run of draws in October/November, in many of them the team were hitting everything but the net, our finishing was really a problem. But then, we had so many chances we were bound to score one or two . I see this current run of draws as a different thing though.

Without looking too closely at stats and going by what I've watched, our chances haven't been as numerous since around the Liverpool game. Before then, I could think of several good chances per game that were created after some good work, chances we should have scored. The team really were hitting everything but the net in some of those games, and opposition keepers were having genuine great games instead of making standard 'for the camera' saves.

Lately, we still had good chances to score since the Liverpool game (Mata v Stoke and Hull, Pogba at the end of the first half v Hull) but it seems they have been harder and fewer to come by. In this case, the quality of finishing becomes a bigger problem.

I mentioned Moyes because the amount of crosses we were putting in against Hull the other night, with no return, reminded me of that. I mentioned LVG because while our chances seem to have reduced in very recent games, our possession numbers haven't. Looking at these recent games, it was frustrating to watch the team make lots of passes around the opposition's box and soak up possession, but fail to find a way through for the most part. Not wholly out of ideas, but maybe near the ballpark of that.

I know these things are only temporary though and I wouldn't have mentioned it but for the fact that I was drawing those comparisons to another team. It was more of a "Well, to be fair, we're not exactly Barca 09 ourselves at the moment" acknowledgement than any criticism of Mourinho or the direction we're going in.

Robson99 wrote: »
    To be honest Jose seems to be ****ing up both Shaw and Martial two of our brightest prospects. Publicly critising them is not IMO the way to treat players.
    And his insinstance on never taking Ibra off and playing him in every league game is also stalling martial and Rashford progress. For our future gain these two need much more game time togethr up front at Ibras expense and that should start tomorrow

Ibra while on a quiet run of games is our top scorer and the one person that looks like scoring a chance from nothing. I'd continue with him bit I would be looking to sub him off if it wasn't working by the hour mark and put some pace threw the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I get what your saying but the team is on a run of wins with two draws against pool and Hull aint it? The Hull keeper the other night pulled off some good saves he was kept busy too and the poll game could go eitherway.

I'd give them slack for the hull loss in the cup it was a bit of a odd match where we knew we could loose but still win the tie.

One thing I'd like is to see the team start with the same momentum they seem to get in the second half of games,.

I get what your saying but the team is on a run of wins with two draws against pool and Hull aint it? The Hull keeper the other night pulled off some good saves he was kept busy too and the poll game could go eitherway.

I'd give them slack for the hull loss in the cup it was a bit of a odd match where we knew we could loose but still win the tie.

One thing I'd like is to see the team start with the same momentum they seem to get in the second half of games,.
    +stoke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That Wenger story can't be true can it? To admit that one after getting beat so badly would be crazy.

• Advertisement

Ibra while on a quiet run of games is our top scorer and the one person that looks like scoring a chance from nothing. I'd continue with him bit I would be looking to sub him off if it wasn't working by the hour mark and put some pace threw the middle.

I hope we dont lose martial in the summer over Jose's persistence with Ibra. If one of Ibra martial or Rashford was to leave in the summer then it should be Ibra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Most annoying thing about Ibrahimovic is his persistence with swinging his leg 9ft in the air to contest for balls. It's called as a foul every single time. He's 6ft5 and built like a house. Jump and head/chest it down, for God sake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Look forward to our draw tomorrow at Leicester

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

J. Marston wrote: »
    Most annoying thing about Ibrahimovic is his persistence with swinging his leg 9ft in the air to contest for balls. It's called as a foul every single time. He's 6ft5 and built like a house. Jump and head/chest it down, for God sake!

its actually not getting called a foul as much as I'#d expect. Plenty of times its not blown up for some reason. Is one of his trademarks to be fair :D

• TheDoc wrote: »
    Look forward to our draw tomorrow at Leicester

I know you are being sarcastic but that doesn't make it any less depressing
    Dreaming of a 5 - 0 hammering of a team in the league
    I miss those wins :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Safe to say we will be dropping points after todays results anyway

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

very negative in here today. 3-1 win for utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What was the stat?

Wenger offered a 2 year contract extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

zerks wrote: »
    Wenger offered a 2 year contract extension.

id say its only a gesture knowing full well he will leave at the end of the season to make it look like they wanted to keep him and looks good for him as well. wenger is finished at the top and has been for a number of years

There was the Stoke game also (well for ya forgetting it!)

I just think we've stepped back slightly with the chance creation and intensity this last handful of games, hope I'm wrong.

Yeah it would be great to see our lads realise that there's a game in the first half as well as the second half. It takes far too long for them to get into the game, like the first half against Wigan last week for example. That said, I thought we started bright with decent intensity against Hull the other night, but that didn't last long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

There was the Stoke game also (well for ya forgetting it!)

I just think we've stepped back slightly with the chance creation and intensity this last handful of games, hope I'm wrong.

Yeah it would be great to see our lads realise that there's a game in the first half as well as the second half. It takes far too long for them to get into the game, like the first half against Wigan last week for example. That said, I thought we started bright with decent intensity against Hull the other night, but that didn't last long.

Starting games slowly has been our problem for a number of years now. Going back to the late Fergie days.

Man Utd to win 9-0 Cole to score 5 goals...

Edit. Just checked that there and Keano started RB and Irwin LB did Keano play often for us as RB in that season or was it a stop gap

• Match thread lads?
    I can't because Phil is injured

Man Utd to win 9-0 Cole to score 5 goals...

Edit. Just checked that there and Keano started RB and Irwin LB did Keano play often for us as RB in that season or was it a stop gap

Not often anyway, he opened the scoring that day didn't he and came off at half time? Think David May and Gary Neville shared the rb role for the most part that year

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Not often anyway, he opened the scoring that day didn't he and came off at half time? Think David May and Gary Neville shared the rb role for the most part that year

Yea Keano scored first and was off at half time, I didnt get to see many matches in them days, at best it was listened to on a staticy radio station/ teletext and the match reports in the newspaper the next day. Awh a simpler time :D

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Match thread lads?
    I can't because Phil is injured

Where is Zerks? I cant do match threads as I dont know how or could be arsed loading up images :D

Yea Keano scored first and was off at half time, I didnt get to see many matches in them days, at best it was listened to on a staticy radio station/ teletext and the match reports in the newspaper the next day. Awh a simpler time :D

Ah the excitement/fear when teletext was about to turn the page again back to your teams scores :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

I'm afraid to look forward to today's game. The crushing disappointment of dropping more points is too hard not to think about.

3 points is even more important now than it was midweek. We simply can't afford to screw up such a great opportunity to close the gap.

A win any which way is needed. Doesn't matter how ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Where is Zerks? I cant do match threads as I dont know how or could be arsed loading up images :D

Create new thread - Call it Leicester v United - say what way you think it will go. Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Zerks is waiting for tomorrow to start the match thread
    Its his usual form...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement