Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

zerks wrote: »

Anyone watch the game to see was he that bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Christ I was just having a look at the arsenal thread and it's an absolute ****show caused by one poster. The rest of the posters really do need to just put them on ignore. I actually feel sorry for them having to put up with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Jayop wrote: »
    Christ I was just having a look at the arsenal thread and it's an absolute ****show caused by one poster. The rest of the posters really do need to just put them on ignore. I actually feel sorry for them having to put up with it.

You mean to say Piers Morgan posts on Boards....

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    You mean to say Piers Morgan posts on Boards....

It's like the anti piers Morgan. Equally as deluded and annoying but posting the opposite viewpoint in a condescending and irritating manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

GSPfan wrote: »
    Cookie Dough for dessert? Didn't know you and her were that close. Dirty.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Only catching up on thread now lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Jayop wrote: »
    It's like the anti piers Morgan. Equally as deluded and annoying but posting the opposite viewpoint in a condescending and irritating manner.

Let me guess... Would the username be associated with a Yorkie chocolate bar advertising campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I enjoyed today I must say. Nice to be able to enjoy the last 40 minutes for a change. Did the Business and very happy overall.

Feet up now, missus is away so free house, off work tomorrow, watch MOTD and will watch Super Bowl. Takeaway and Cookie Dough for desert.

Oh come and come on the Falcons.
    I'm more of a Phish food man meself...
    jayo26 wrote: »
    Hope brinty doesn't see this he be jelly.

and how do you know i'm a jelly and ice cream man meself Jayo.....

#stalker

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

At least I wasn't wrong about the superbowl :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Let me guess... Would the username be associated with a Yorkie chocolate bar advertising campaign?

maybe he needs a tissue :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I hate when people make it sound as if Jose just took a disliking to them for no reason. There's very obviously reasons he's not playing them that we aren't 100% privy to. It looks like he didn't take kindly to Martial's agent stirring the pot (and we don't know if that's affected Martial's attitude too), and Shaw looks to have been involved with undermining Jose in the press early on in the season.

To me, if players aren't 110% committed to Jose, then regardless of age, value or potential, the door is there for them.

And yet at the same side, Jose sometimes just tries to be too clever and it backfires.

If these players have attitude problems, arn't coping with his methods or have some sort of issue, he just needs to say it and stop leaving fans guess.

At present all it appears is the manager being unable to unwilling to coax the best out of two massive prospects, perpetuating that he is a manager unable to coach young players.

I'm massively concerned, more with Martial to be honest then Shaw as I'm yet to be convinced he will good enough, that a massive prospect is going to get the hump and off.

And thats all well and good people saying they need to toughen up or be behind Jose 100% or leave, but Martial cost a lot of money, came to United (when many were in for him) after being given some vision of his future at the club. He was a key player last year and dug the team out of some big holes. Before a ball is even kicked he has his shirt number taken from him.

I can see why he would be sitting there thinking what the **** is going on, and I could understand if he did have the hump.

Jose sometimes tries to be to clever for his own good. Thought I guess the situation with Shaw and Martial(and Rashford, who I think hasn't kicked on at all) is no real issue if you bought the situation with Mhiki as being utterly impeccable man management.

I guess some people, like me, think Jose made an absolute bags of Mhiki and therefore has concerns and worries about Shaw,Martial and Rashford. (And Depay being sold with no real chance afforded adds weight there)

• TheDoc wrote: »
    And yet at the same side, Jose sometimes just tries to be too clever and it backfires.

If these players have attitude problems, arn't coping with his methods or have some sort of issue, he just needs to say it and stop leaving fans guess.

At present all it appears is the manager being unable to unwilling to coax the best out of two massive prospects, perpetuating that he is a manager unable to coach young players.

I'm massively concerned, more with Martial to be honest then Shaw as I'm yet to be convinced he will good enough, that a massive prospect is going to get the hump and off.

And thats all well and good people saying they need to toughen up or be behind Jose 100% or leave, but Martial cost a lot of money, came to United (when many were in for him) after being given some vision of his future at the club. He was a key player last year and dug the team out of some big holes. Before a ball is even kicked he has his shirt number taken from him.

I can see why he would be sitting there thinking what the **** is going on, and I could understand if he did have the hump.

Jose sometimes tries to be to clever for his own good. Thought I guess the situation with Shaw and Martial(and Rashford, who I think hasn't kicked on at all) is no real issue if you bought the situation with Mhiki as being utterly impeccable man management.

I guess some people, like me, think Jose made an absolute bags of Mhiki and therefore has concerns and worries about Shaw,Martial and Rashford. (And Depay being sold with no real chance afforded adds weight there)

He should say what publicly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Of course he shouldn't say that publicly.

Ibra has done okay? And the following tripe?

Too tired to be dealing with that kind if ****e today, funny though it may be.

Today is an important day in our clubs history, thoughts go to those who lost their lives and to how a club rose from the ashes of that tragedy.

RIP

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He should say what publicly?

"Jose, Luke Shaw was omitted again today. There are obvious concerns from fans that a huge prospect might be struggling at the club. Can you remove some fan concerns about what the situation is there?"

"Luke is a talented player that will have a great career, but he's struggling to adapt to what I want at this time. He is doing well, and if he continues working like this he will come into the team soon. He is just adjusting to a new style and the demands I have for my left back. So there is nothing to worry about there, its natural with young players"

"Luke is still suffering some inconsistency after his injury. Pains flair up now and then, and obviously, after such a big injury, there is some mental blocks there to certain things. Luke is young and has a great future at the club, so I don't feel the need to rush him with the options we have. But there is no problem there and Luke understands my thinking"

"Luke just isn't operating at the level of the other players. I don't know if maybe he believed his own hype, but he isn't working as hard or learning as fast as the rest. If Luke wants to feature in the team, he needs to work harder, he needs to learn faster and he needs to stop feeling sorry for himself and show me he deserves to play".

There is three answers that might remove some of the ambiguity maybe? This season I've counted about four different spouts of reasons from Jose. The answer to me is clearly Jose doesn't rate him, and that is evident to me from the odd little critiques he has had of Shaw. He looks at his most honest when he is talking negatively about Shaw. But thats just my interpretation, but it clearly doesn't look good for him.

But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to send a clear and concise message to ensure fans don't feel uneasy at how the manager is rating/seeing the futures of some players. He already went through a public mess with Henrik and he should not be doing it again.

• TheDoc wrote: »
    "Jose, Luke Shaw was omitted again today. There are obvious concerns from fans that a huge prospect might be struggling at the club. Can you remove some fan concerns about what the situation is there?"

"Luke is a talented player that will have a great career, but he's struggling to adapt to what I want at this time. He is doing well, and if he continues working like this he will come into the team soon. He is just adjusting to a new style and the demands I have for my left back. So there is nothing to worry about there, its natural with young players"

"Luke is still suffering some inconsistency after his injury. Pains flair up now and then, and obviously, after such a big injury, there is some mental blocks there to certain things. Luke is young and has a great future at the club, so I don't feel the need to rush him with the options we have. But there is no problem there and Luke understands my thinking"

"Luke just isn't operating at the level of the other players. I don't know if maybe he believed his own hype, but he isn't working as hard or learning as fast as the rest. If Luke wants to feature in the team, he needs to work harder, he needs to learn faster and he needs to stop feeling sorry for himself and show me he deserves to play".

There is three answers that might remove some of the ambiguity maybe? This season I've counted about four different spouts of reasons from Jose. The answer to me is clearly Jose doesn't rate him, and that is evident to me from the odd little critiques he has had of Shaw. He looks at his most honest when he is talking negatively about Shaw. But thats just my interpretation, but it clearly doesn't look good for him.

I don't see how saying any of the above would benefit both parties involved.
    People read too much into what the media spin in the background, this is where the ambiguity stems from especially when it doesn't get revealed to the public at press conferences.
    Media did the exact same thing with Miki Ryan,
    "Jose won't give him a chance", "he's been forced out", "Mkhitaryan to leave Utd in the summer" bla bla bla the bul****e goes on and on

I may have missed it but has Jose been asked about Shaw specifically recently or should he just start his next press conference talking about him? As that would be quite strange.

When he was asked about the Martial situation recently he outlined he needss to improve his performances to get ahead of the players that are starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Hococop wrote: »

He was awful, taken off around the hour mark as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

In a way the only thing with Zlatan that is dissapointing is joses refusal to bring him off in games that he looks leggy and tired which is to be expected at 35 but thats not his fault

Also he probaley have at least 25 goals with the chances he missed but thats being picky as im sure you could say the same with any striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,766 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I very much doubt that Jose is just refusing to pick either Martial or Shaw for sh1ts and giggles.

Even Depay only had nice things to say (he could have simply said nothing) and with clear issues in the attack and MU could defo do with more flair down the left, why would Jose not go with players he feels could add something?

The only logical conclusion is that neither of Shaw or Martial or doing it well enough or consistently enough in training for Jose to trust them.

• Advertisement

sky88 wrote: »
    In a way the only thing with Zlatan that is dissapointing is joses refusal to bring him off in games that he looks leggy and tired which is to be expected at 35 but thats not his fault

Also he probaley have at least 25 goals with the chances he missed but thats being picky as im sure you could say the same with any striker.

I do think if we hadnt so many close games Zlatan would be taken off more, as he is a big part of our plan A and our plan B. He is agreat to have in the box when defending a narrow lead and also when chasing a game when we pay it longer.

You could argue yesterday but Jose must have wanted to give Young minutes so Zlantan wasnt the obvious choice to come off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Hococop wrote: »

Lyon were muck to be fair, Depay tried a few dribbles and fell on his arse once or twice. He wasn't 2/10 bad, more like a 5.

He's a creative player but that Lyon St Etienne game is probably not the game for him. It's a great game for cards, always firey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

At least I wasn't wrong about the superbowl :)

Thanks God I didn't jinx it.. ****in unbelievable.. can't believe how awake I am in work on 2 hours kip. :D

Oh and yeah the Arsenal thread needs saving...

Jose Mourinho has revealed Luke Shaw's injury problems and poor conditioning have been behind his recent omissions from the Manchester United team.

Shaw hasn't played since November but returned to training at Carrington two weeks ago to raise hopes that a return to the first team wasn't too far away.

However, the 21-year-old wasn't involved against Reading, Hull and Liverpool and Mourinho said on Friday that Shaw is going through a "difficult period", the Manchester Evening News report.

"Of course," he replied when asked if Shaw's injury record had influenced his decisions to exclude him from recent squads. "You try to have in the squad the players with more minutes, the players in better shape, in better condition.

"In Luke Shaw's case, even in the game against Reading, when he could have started the game and had 90 minutes, in the morning of the game he was ill and not ready to play.

"So even in that match, which could have been good for him, he was not able to play, so he's having a difficult period."

Jose said all that about shaw 2 weeks ago according to the mirror at least

I do think if we hadnt so many close games Zlatan would be taken off more, as he is a big part of our plan A and our plan B. He is agreat to have in the box when defending a narrow lead and also when chasing a game when we pay it longer.

You could argue yesterday but Jose must have wanted to give Young minutes so Zlantan wasnt the obvious choice to come off.

i can totally see why jose is doing it but theres been a quite a few games in the last 15 were zlatan has faded off were i think the team would be better off with a slight change up front.
    astradave wrote: »
    Thanks God I didn't jinx it.. ****in unbelievable.. can't believe how awake I am in work on 2 hours kip. :D

Oh and yeah the Arsenal thread needs saving...

totally regretting that descion to stay up im like a zombie in work

on Shaw is that not 3 managers who have questioned his fitness now. Jose and LVG defintley have and i feel like poch or moyes mentioned it too.

its clearly a problem but maybe made worse by the leg break.

People read too much into what the media spin in the background, this is where the ambiguity stems from especially when it doesn't get revealed to the public at press conferences.
    "Jose won't give him a chance", "he's been forced out", "Mkhitaryan to leave Utd in the summer" bla bla bla the bul****e goes on and on

That's what I'm saying though, Jose frequently provided quotes or phrases that left it open to be misinterpreted to the point where we had papers claiming top United scouts were not convinced by Mhiki's signing.

I know as we all do, that he is sending a message to the player. Point I'm making is it can be so ambiguous, cause fanfare and speculation out of nowhere, that I fail to see the point of it.

And that's why I feel sometimes he tries to be too clever for his own good. When everyone knows the spin your playing, what is the point in doing it anymore?

I may have missed it but has Jose been asked about Shaw specifically recently or should he just start his next press conference talking about him? As that would be quite strange.

When he was asked about the Martial situation recently he outlined he needss to improve his performances to get ahead of the players that are starting.

Shaw has come up in the prematch ones recently. As has obviously Martial. you can see one or two of the press pack are trying to angle the "Jose can't handle young players" narrative

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'll be honest, I'd always prefer, when there's a problem between manager and player, if both sides kept quiet publicly about it. While it might be frustrating from a fans PoV having to speculate, I'd always rather any problems get sorted out, one way or other, behind closed doors.

Publicly throwing players under the bus does nothing but sour relationships. If Jose has criticisms of players, then those criticisms should be delivered to the player, not the press.

Publicly lying about issues (making up an injury to cover for attitude problems) only causes confusion too, and invites the other side to come out with "the truth".

Furthermore, if you wage a public battle with a player you might sell down the road, you've only served to hurt his value.

If there's issues with Shaw and Martial, then I genuinely would much, much rather Jose stays quiet about them and focuses his public attention on the positives, while dealing with them privately. I will always rather managers don't give the press and media stories with any substance like that. Staying quite, staying ambiguous, might keep people guessing, but I'd much prefer that than getting into a public drama.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

The most annoying thing is that posters on here keep buying and perpetuate rubbish like that.

I though we would have learned from the Mikhitaryan episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

It's on boys....it's on like DONKEY KONG

4th place? Calm down

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Does anyone know if our game on Saturday is the 3pm Ireland only match on Sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Luke Shaw needs to tweet us now so we can get back to focusing on the very real threat of us moving from 6th place to 5th on Saturday.

• And there we are :pac:

• Advertisement

• GSPfan wrote: »
    Luke Shaw needs to tweet us now so we can get back to focusing on the very real threat of us moving from 6th place to 5th on Saturday.

But he really doesn't need too.
    It shouldn't take a tweet to make fans realize that the media is a load off **** stirring bull****e.

Does anyone know if our game on Saturday is the 3pm Ireland only match on Sky?

I've a training course Saturday,I wonder if there's any hope I'll get done at 2.55?:(

beno619 wrote: »
    The most annoying thing is that posters on here keep buying and perpetuate rubbish like that.

I though we would have learned from the Mikhitaryan episode.

Well what did we learn? Torpedo your title chance and top 4 chances to prove a point? If a point was even proven?

How many points did we squander, or where could we be with Mikhitaryan integrated better into the squad earlier in the season. And now we have him in, the manager is slaughtering our other flank with the same stuff.

Martial and Mikhitaryan are unquestionably our best pairing to flank Zlatan. Abundantly obvious.

While Martial was clearly playing garbage for large parts of the season, that **** happens. You just rotate. I don't see why it needs to be this big "thing" and while he feels the need to deal with it in this way. Like I said, sometimes he gets to clever for his own good, and obviously loves to be overly complicated. Maybe just loves the plaudits. I'd sway he's smug as **** with the way Mikhitaryan panned out, even though it still does raise massive questions about how he handled him first half of season.

Look treading this old water where this will go bad for me so I won't keep going at it. I just don't like seeing a manager, any manager, torpedo the clubs chances at things to prove a point. I absolutely lashed Ferguson out of it for basically toilet dumping a league title to prove a point to Rooney, and I'll never accept it as being an ok thing to do.

But he really doesn't need too.
    It shouldn't take a tweet to make fans realize that the media is a load off **** stirring bull****e.

OK Mick so relieve my concerns and let me know what exactly is the issue with Luke Shaw, that I keep missing?

I'm being deadly serious. Your implying the situation is blatantly obvious and that people are falling for media spin.

So you tell me what the situation is and I'm going to continue with that being the undisputed truth.

Not even being sarcastic, you tell me what I'm missing, and I'll take that as the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wonder how long we've been in 6th. Feels like it's gotta be at least 3 months.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Wonder how long we've been in 6th. Feels like it's gotta be at least 3 months.

feels like the whole season

Jose Mourinho has revealed Luke Shaw's injury problems and poor conditioning have been behind his recent omissions from the Manchester United team.

Shaw hasn't played since November but returned to training at Carrington two weeks ago to raise hopes that a return to the first team wasn't too far away.

However, the 21-year-old wasn't involved against Reading, Hull and Liverpool and Mourinho said on Friday that Shaw is going through a "difficult period", the Manchester Evening News report.

"Of course," he replied when asked if Shaw's injury record had influenced his decisions to exclude him from recent squads. "You try to have in the squad the players with more minutes, the players in better shape, in better condition.

"In Luke Shaw's case, even in the game against Reading, when he could have started the game and had 90 minutes, in the morning of the game he was ill and not ready to play.

"So even in that match, which could have been good for him, he was not able to play, so he's having a difficult period."

Jose said all that about shaw 2 weeks ago according to the mirror at least

Can you please for the love of God stop trying to make sense with logic.....you're not helping those with rose tinted glasses and wooden eyes.

TheDoc wrote: »
    OK Mick so relieve my concerns and let me know what exactly is the issue with Luke Shaw, that I keep missing?

I'm being deadly serious. Your implying the situation is blatantly obvious and that people are falling for media spin.

So you tell me what the situation is and I'm going to continue with that being the undisputed truth.

Not even being sarcastic, you tell me what I'm missing, and I'll take that as the situation.

Read up...it's not hard.

This season so far vs last season all games - PL only (averages per match).

Selected stats:

Pen box touches 34 v 27 (up 26%)
    Successful crosses 6.5 v 3.9 (up 67%)
    Chances created 12.8 v 8.2 (up 56%)
    Goal attempts 17.0 v 11.3 (up 50%)
    On target 6.0 v 3.8 (up 58%)
    Clearances, Blocks and Interceptions 52 v 40 (up 30%)

OPTA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well what did we learn? Torpedo your title chance and top 4 chances to prove a point? If a point was even proven?

That we dont have a clue why certain players are not being picked and that their exclusion doesn't mean they'll be out the door in the next window.

We were creating enough chances to win the a lot of games while Mikhitaryan was out of the side.

Read up...it's not hard.

Cool

So Shaw is not featuring because his fitness isn't there, and he doesn't have as many minutes as other left back players.

beno619 wrote: »
    That we dont have a clue why certain players are not being picked and that their exclusion doesn't mean they'll be out the door in the next window.

We were creating enough chances to win the a lot of games while Mikhitaryan was out of the side.

To be clear, I'm personally not perpetuating these two players will be gone. But I am definitely worried for Shaws future. Although granted I haven't been that hot on him from the get go and see what he does that had everyone in a tizzy, there was enough hype there from opinion I respect to make me feel he is a player the manager should be trying to get integrated ASAP.

If I was actually just going on my own basis and excluding exterior factors(which I try not to do) I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest about Shaw.

Some afternoon gossip.

Manchester United are believed to have reached a verbal agreement to sign the Lazio star Stefan de Vrij for €35m this summer. ( Il Messaggero)

Antoine Griezmann’s image advisor Sebastien Bellencontre says a move to Manchester United would be “ideal”. (So Foot)

Manchester United target Kostas Manolas is slipping further away and will be heading to Inter in the summer. (Leggo)

Frustrated Manchester United forward Anthony Martial is ready to engineer a move to Paris Saint-Germain this summer. (The Sun)

Real Madrid midfielder Marco Asensio will cost Man Utd £40m (Metro)

zerks wrote: »
    This season so far vs last season all games - PL only (averages per match).

Selected stats:

Pen box touches 34 v 27 (up 26%)
    Successful crosses 6.5 v 3.9 (up 67%)
    Chances created 12.8 v 8.2 (up 56%)
    Goal attempts 17.0 v 11.3 (up 50%)
    On target 6.0 v 3.8 (up 58%)
    Clearances, Blocks and Interceptions 52 v 40 (up 30%)

OPTA.

Have you a link for that Zerks? Wouldn't mind a look myself.

Here's a few more stats...

2015/16 Vs 2016/17 (League Only)
    League position - 6th v 5th (down 1)
    Points - 45 v 40 (up 5)
    Goals for - 36 v 31 (up 5)
    Goals against - 21 v 21 (same)
    Wins - 12 v 11 (up 1)

So we're either better or even in every stat apart from league position.

Interestingly Here's the top 6 and points last year compared to this...

1) 59 v 50
    2) 50 v 47
    3) 49 v 45
    4) 47 v 45
    5) 46 v 40
    6) 45 v 39

So the top 6 this year are on average 5 points up on the top 6 last year.

Our form this year would have up in 5th last year equal on GD with Arsenal and only behind marginally on goals scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I assume that should be a 39 for 6th place last season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement