Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lads where do ye get the stats on outa? Anytime i went on there I couldn't ever find the stats page it just seemed to be for people to tell people what they do?

Full quotes from Griezmann's image advisor, Sebastian Bellencontre, even though the man acknowledges that football matters are fúck-all to do with him. Plus, he talks about himself in the 3rd person...

http://sportwitness.co.uk/mix-beckham-zidane-advisor-discusses-man-united-transfer-dream-client/

Beckham because he’s [Griezmann’s] idol, but also because I want to make him a fashion icon that goes beyond his football career. Zidane for the French DNA, simplicity, family values, and loyalty too. We want Antoine to finish his career with Puma, for example.

When I read articles about a hypothetical transfer to Manchester United, I’ve got to say it would be the ideal scenario marketing wise. He would play in Beckham’s club, his idol, with the same number seven on his back.

The football aspect of things will be a complete priority. If there is a departure, it will be due to where he plays on the pitch, to the players around him.

I’ll say nicely that there are things that I don’t have control over in marketing, and that Sébastien [Bellencontre] does not have control over when it comes to football.”

Antoine's brother Theo also tweeted his respects earlier today for the poignant Man United day that's in it. It's a great photo and Theo doesn't seem to be using it for attention or anything click-baity, just honoring and paying his respects like many Manchester United fans today.

https://twitter.com/TheoGriezmann/status/828499636654583808

Andre marriner is the ref for league cup final.

• @ Doc, Only got to reply now but think the debate on Shaw has been answered by a few already so not going to retread same thoughts

jayo26 wrote: »
    Andre marriner is the ref for league cup final.

This could be worse, I think.

Right, they all seem pretty shít this season, but the worst I can remember from Marriner was not giving us a penalty for a foul on Valencia against Arsenal last November.

Historically, I believe he's been 'good' in general for Mourinho.

That Arsenal match happened not long after Jose's touchline ban for having a half-time argument with Clattenburg, so Jose would have been reluctant to say too much. But he did have some positive things to say...

I like the words that Marriner told us before the game, it was very simple - I don't want to be man of the match, I don't want to be seen, I want to help.

He is right, he doesn’t want to be the star, he is a good man and an honest ref. He tries always to be a referee with a lot of balance. I had a good feeling with Andre Marriner, he is the kind of referee that when he makes mistakes against my team he has no intention.

I know it is or it isn't a penalty, I watch a few times but I don't want to say what I think and I want to reaffirm that the referee did his best.

Definitely could be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I assume that should be a 39 for 6th place last season.

Correct. Wouldn't be one of my posts like that without a glaring mistake. That of course means that I had calculated the average points difference between the top 5 last year and this year wrong and it's a full 5 points rather than the 3.xx I had put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

stankratz wrote: »
    This could be worse, I think.

Right, they all seem pretty shít this season, but the worst I can remember from Marriner was not giving us a penalty for a foul on Valencia against Arsenal last November.

Historically, I believe he's been 'good' in general for Mourinho.

That Arsenal match happened not long after Jose's touchline ban for having a half-time argument with Clattenburg, so Jose would have been reluctant to say too much. But he did have some positive things to say...

Definitely could be worse.

As bad as the standard is, It's hard for them too when everything is scrutinised, The thing on Bt is the worst ya man Jake be's saying to the panel of course we never like bring up the refs but lets go over to Howard who's been payed to do exactly that :confused:

bmcc10 wrote: »
    As bad as the standard is, It's hard for them too when everything is scrutinised, The thing on Bt is the worst ya man Jake be's saying to the panel of course we never like bring up the refs but lets go over to Howard who's been payed to do exactly that :confused:

Howard surrounded by five screens with two tech guys off camera running numerous replays for him - "Ref got it wrong, I would have given a red there myself, Jake". :pac:

It's just the way it has gone with analysis, and with competing companies (Sky Sports, BT) trying to out-do each other in their coverage with various bells and whistles. Sky Sports with their Minority Report-like screens (which are class in fairness) and BT with Howard.

In fairness, 1) Howard's gotta eat too, I can't imagine his pension from United is great, and 2) Given how much controversy there can be surrounding refereeing decisions in games, it does no harm for the refs to have a 'voice' somewhere in there, like an ex-ref's POV to draw from. The whole thing is intolerable (OTT analysis and coverage), but Howard does acknowledge why his decision differs from the referee's if it does, like "the ref's view would have been blocked there" or "I only saw it myself in the replay".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I would imagine Mourinho is relaxed about the whole situation, there will be another clear out in the summer as Mourinho buys in more of own players and if the players bought before he came can't convince him they will be sold.

Two 21 year olds leveraging their position will not be at the top of his mind. Shaws brother and Martials agent mouthing off and their form after that would have put a question mark over them in my head if I was manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I would imagine Mourinho is relaxed about the whole situation, there will be another clear out in the summer as Mourinho buys in more of own players and if the players bought before he came can't convince him they will be sold.

Two 21 year olds leveraging their position will not be at the top of his mind. Shaws brother and Martials agent mouthing off and their form after that would have put a question mark over them in my head if I was manager.

would much rather see him develop players that are already at the club like fosu mensah, tuanzebe, rashford, borthwick jackson, pereira rather than relying on buying players the whole time. would like to see maybe rooney move on to make place for greizemann and another midfielder to replace carrick, after that develop the above players and use them more next season

bangkok wrote: »
    would much rather see him develop players that are already at the club like fosu mensah, tuanzebe, rashford, borthwick jackson, pereira rather than relying on buying players the whole time. would like to see maybe rooney move on to make place for greizemann and another midfielder to replace carrick, after that develop the above players and use them more next season

It would be great to see that but in all likelihood most if not all of those players will be bottom half premier league players. Rashford has got plenty of opportunities as has Lingard, if you look elsewhere Barca only have 1 or 2 young lads that weren't bought in getting any significant game time and I'd imagine it's the same at Madrid and Bayern.

I can't name one team ahead of us that has been playing more youth players this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

bangkok wrote: »

That's just the way things are at the moment unfortunately. We've gone from 'no value in the market' to splashing money around. It's almost like Ed feels he has to to keep the sponsors happy in place of cl football or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Can you believe Eric Bailly is 22?

Pogba is 23

Rashford is 19

Martial is 21

Shaw is 21

De Gea is 26

Its a bit mental when you think of how young they all are. I don't think Shaw or Martial will be sold now. I think Jose needs them to get their finger out and there's plenty of time to work on them.

If Jose buys Semedo (23), Lindelof (22), Bakayoko (22), and Griezmann (25), its beyond ridiculous how young and talented a squad he has. Martial and Shaw will know that leaving United is a mistake for your career as financially and professionally its the place to be to earn money and win trophies. Is there any real success stories of players who left United not named Christiano?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

GSPfan wrote: »
    Can you believe Eric Bailly is 22?

Pogba is 23

Rashford is 19

Martial is 21

Shaw is 21

De Gea is 26

Its a bit mental when you think of how young they all are. I don't think Shaw or Martial will be sold now. I think Jose needs them to get their finger out and there's plenty of time to work on them.

If Jose buys Semedo (23), Lindelof (22), Bakayoko (22), and Griezmann (25), its beyond ridiculous how young and talented a squad he has. Martial and Shaw will know that leaving United is a mistake for your career as financially and professionally its the place to be to earn money and win trophies. Is there any real success stories of players who left United not named Christiano?

Beckham
    Stam
    Rudd

Probably a couple more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Beckham
    Stam
    Rudd

Probably a couple more.

Forlan is another good one!

• Advertisement

Beckham
    Stam
    Rudd

Probably a couple more.

Taibi did alot better after leaving us ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Beckham
    Stam
    Rudd

Probably a couple more.

Pique...

Pogba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Is there any real success stories of players who left United not named Christiano?

Danny drinkwater :D

kona wrote: »
    Danny drinkwater :D

You could nearly say half that Leicester team then ha.

• Advertisement

Shawcross
    Giuseppe Rossi

In a lesser way lots have gone on to have good careers after United recently at lesser clubs.

Phil Neville captaining Everton for a few years
    Darren Fletcher captaining West Brom
    John O'Shea good few years at Sunderland

No one mentioning Bebe at Eibar? :eek:

Shame.

Christ I was just looking at the fixture pile up should we progress in the cup. We've already had the City game postponed and should we get past Blackburn the 1/4 final is penciled in for the 11th of March when we play Southampton. The semi final is the weekend we play Burnley.

So that would be 3 fixtures to be scheduled should we manage to get to the semi final. FML.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

stankratz wrote: »
    Howard surrounded by five screens with two tech guys off camera running numerous replays for him - "Ref got it wrong, I would have given a red there myself, Jake". :pac:

It's just the way it has gone with analysis, and with competing companies (Sky Sports, BT) trying to out-do each other in their coverage with various bells and whistles. Sky Sports with their Minority Report-like screens (which are class in fairness) and BT with Howard.

In fairness, 1) Howard's gotta eat too, I can't imagine his pension from United is great, and 2) Given how much controversy there can be surrounding refereeing decisions in games, it does no harm for the refs to have a 'voice' somewhere in there, like an ex-ref's POV to draw from. The whole thing is intolerable (OTT analysis and coverage), but Howard does acknowledge why his decision differs from the referee's if it does, like "the ref's view would have been blocked there" or "I only saw it myself in the replay".
    I went to see a talk with Webb not so long ago and I thought he came across really well. It's obviously easy for him to give his opinion with the multiple replays from all sorts of angles but the fact is that the officials have to use all the tools at their disposal and they clearly are not.

quad_red wrote: »
    Pique...

Thats a brilliant one. In fairness that could be the best one outside of Christiano.

Jayop wrote: »
    Christ I was just looking at the fixture pile up should we progress in the cup. We've already had the City game postponed and should we get past Blackburn the 1/4 final is penciled in for the 11th of March when we play Southampton. The semi final is the weekend we play Burnley.

So that would be 3 fixtures to be scheduled should we manage to get to the semi final. FML.

To be honest id absolutely put out a complete second string in the FA Cup. League cup is a final and deserves a starter team. But Europa will hopefully be a mixed bag of first team and second string

duffman13 wrote: »
    To be honest id absolutely put out a complete second string in the FA Cup. League cup is a final and deserves a starter team. But Europa will hopefully be a mixed bag of first team and second string

I think we need to go balls out for the EL if I'm honest. I'd rather win that than qualify in 4th place.

From the teams left in the EL we should be looking to win it for the first time and add a major European trophy.

Who would you worry about?

Bilbao
    Villareal
    Roma
    Spurs

That's why I'm not too worried about Shaw and Martial just yet, there is a shít-load of games to play in the next 5 weeks where the squad will be relied upon.

If by the end of that period they can't work their way into a few line-ups or the regular matchday squad, then I wouldn't be as optimistic as I am now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

He can rest loads of players and still put out a very good side. Think the last round of the cup he made 9 changes from the previous league match and the team still looked brilliant. Utd may not have the best first 11 in the league but they have the best squad Imo. Hopefully he'll go balls out and put out decent teams in all competitions. This could be a very special end to the season

He can rest loads of players and still put out a very good side. Think the last round of the cup he made 9 changes from the previous league match and the team still looked brilliant. Utd may not have the best first 11 in the league but they have the best squad Imo. Hopefully he'll go balls out and put out decent teams in all competitions. This could be a very special end to the season

No doubt.

Our best 11 is debateable but I'd go with something like...

DDG
    Val Smalling Bailly Shaw
    Carrick
    Herrera Pogba
    Mkhitaryan Martial
    Ibra

Leaving our next 11 as...

Romero
    Darmian Jones Rojo Blind
    Schweini
    Fellaini Mata
    Young Rooney Rashford

That still leaves Lingard, Tunzabe and TFM not listed.

I doubt any other club in the league could match that 11 as their second string.

• Advertisement

I think we need to go balls out for the EL if I'm honest. I'd rather win that than qualify in 4th place.

From the teams left in the EL we should be looking to win it for the first time and add a major European trophy.

Who would you worry about?

Bilbao
    Villareal
    Roma
    Spurs

I wouldn't to be honest but the likes of St Etienne don't need a full team out to get a result either. We have a decent bit of depth and I just hope it's utilised as best as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Anyone watch the Granada game? Pereira scored an absolute peach!

https://twitter.com/TheUtdReview/status/828725398192156672

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Anyone watch the Granada game? Pereira scored an absolute peach!

https://twitter.com/TheUtdReview/status/828725398192156672

I wonder how he is getting on in Spain since the loan started.

If we win the league cup I don't mind going out of the FA cup, we really need to prioritise. Lots of games could stretch the squad too far

Headshot wrote: »

Interestingly ESPN have him down as having played 2 games for the Spanish woman's national team.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭Sand

If we win the league cup I don't mind going out of the FA cup, we really need to prioritise. Lots of games could stretch the squad too far

I'd say Martial and Shaw would like the chance for the odd game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

No doubt.

Our best 11 is debateable but I'd go with something like...

DDG
    Val Smalling Bailly Shaw
    Carrick
    Herrera Pogba
    Mkhitaryan Martial
    Ibra

Leaving our next 11 as...

Romero
    Darmian Jones Rojo Blind
    Schweini
    Fellaini Mata
    Young Rooney Rashford

That still leaves Lingard, Tunzabe and TFM not listed.

I doubt any other club in the league could match that 11 as their second string.

That second string reads well on paper but if I saw that team put out on the pitch I'd be extremely worried... Regardless of the opposition.

I posted this at the end of the last Superthread about Pereira...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102404678&postcount=9921

In short, he's getting on well.

He is doing really well he is in a team that's batling relegation but he is one of the stand out players. while I wont claim to watch all the games I look for their results and see what people say he is doing and its usually allways positive.

• Advertisement

Nalz wrote: »
    That second string reads well on paper but if I saw that team put out on the pitch I'd be extremely worried... Regardless of the opposition.

That's not the point really because we'd never field that 11 for any game. The point is that you could comfortably mix any 4/5 from that second string into the first team and expect to perform well.

Here's a Liverpool 11 from their thread today.
    Mig
    Matip
    Lovren
    Clyne
    Hendo
    Milner
    Lallana
    Coutinho
    --Mane----Firmino---Origi

What have they got after that?

Karius
    Sturridge
    Gomez
    Klavan
    Grujic
    Moreno
    Lucas
    Can

City have the only comparable 12-22 in the league imo.

Nalz wrote: »

To be honest you could throw Lingard on and drop Rooney in behind Rashford with Mata and Lingard either side and we are defensively solid and have flare and pace going forward. Id have no problem seeing that team against Blackburn for example

duffman13 wrote: »
    To be honest you could throw Lingard on and drop Rooney in behind Rashford with Mata and Lingard either side and we are defensively solid and have flare and pace going forward. Id have no problem seeing that team against Blackburn for example

Exactly.

This is the team we played against Reading...
    Romero
    Young Smalling Rojo Blind
    Carrick
    Fellaini Mata
    Rooney Martial Rashford

I had said our full second 11 was...
    Romero
    Darmian Jones Rojo Blind
    Schweini
    Fellaini Mata
    Young Rooney Rashford

So the only differences were
    Martial for Darmian
    Smalling for Jones
    Carrick for Schweini

and we won 4-0

Exactly.

This is the team we played against Reading...
    Romero
    Young Smalling Rojo Blind
    Carrick
    Fellaini Mata
    Rooney Martial Rashford

I had said our full second 11 was...
    Romero
    Darmian Jones Rojo Blind
    Schweini
    Fellaini Mata
    Young Rooney Rashford

So the only differences were
    Martial for Darmian
    Smalling for Jones
    Carrick for Schweini

and we won 4-0

Every player you listed cost us over about 12 million bar maybe Schweinsteiger (£6m roughly), Romero and Rashford (free) About 5 of them are over 20 million quid. If we can't put those teams out and expect a result in the cups then we are in trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭secman

See Martial has tweeted "don't believe the paper talk of him wanting to leave" Glad to see this, hopefully he takes his chance when it comes around again, with us still in 3 cups, plenty of playtime for many of the squad to come .

So De Gea is off to Real Madrid again. This time for €43 million. But Zidane doesn't want to pay over €40 million. Ive never seen a negotiation take place within a club for another clubs player before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

So De Gea is off to Real Madrid again. This time for €43 million. But Zidane doesn't want to pay over €40 million. Ive never seen a negotiation take place within a club for another clubs player before.

It seems that Hugo Lloris is the man on their shopping list.I think they know that they won't be getting Dave any time soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Such a load of s***e, like Zidane cares about an extra €3m, sure isn't he managing during the day and then auditing the accounts before he heads off home.

A little known fact is he headbutted Materazzi for leaving the immersion on.

I know paper never refused ink but some of the tripe that passes for journalism is pathetic. It's unfortunate that squeezed advertising markets and the advent of limitless free content online has pushed print media down and down to the lowest common denominator where basically they're desperately printing sensationalist nonsense in the hope enough gullible people will buy it to keep the lights on for another week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭mewe

I know paper never refused ink but some of the tripe that passes for journalism is pathetic. It's unfortunate that squeezed advertising markets and the advent of limitless free content online has pushed print media down and down to the lowest common denominator where basically they're desperately printing sensationalist nonsense in the hope enough gullible people will buy it to keep the lights on for another week.

Nail on the head.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    ..... ]

Good morning zerks your on the ball today I see :)

• Ninja delete

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement