Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ninja delete

Ohh yehhh you go ahead and do that and have me look like a weirdo haha.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I saw it Mick. I saw your shame :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

M!Ck^ wrote: »

To young. 35 with 3 kids behind. Very sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I had completely forgotten about that. So sad for them.

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    I saw it Mick. I saw your shame :P

Abuse of powers, abuse!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

See evra has said he was so close to joining utd again in jan, said he even spoke with mourinho but one person at the club didnt want him back... wonder who that was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

bangkok wrote: »
    See evra has said he was so close to joining utd again in jan, said he even spoke with mourinho but one person at the club didnt want him back... wonder who that was?

Nice source you got there......... Not saying it's not true, or there isn't any, but would be nice if you could provide...

Julez wrote: »
    Nice source you got there......... Not saying it's not true, or there isn't any, but would be nice if you could provide...

Its from an interview he did with Sky Italia a few days back. Quotes are...
    "I was very close to a return to Manchester United," Evra said to Sky Italia after travelling back to Turin to visit his former Juventus team-mates."

"I also spoke with Mourinho but there was a person, whose name I will not say, who probably did not like the idea of my return.

"Even the fans were enthusiastic and would have been delighted, but because I realised that they [the club] would not do anything I then asked my agent to look for other teams.

"Marseille immediately won me over with their project and immediately created a great feeling.

"We only spent one day to close the deal. They really treated me like a God, making it clear they had a great need for me."

I'd have hated the deal tbh; I was frustrated no end with him when he left, and I can't imagine a few more years on him would have helped at all. If he came back as a coach or ambassador, awesome. But not as a player...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Its from an interview he did with Sky Italia a few days back. Quotes are...

I'd have hated the deal tbh; I was frustrated no end with him when he left, and I can't imagine a few more years on him would have helped at all. If he came back as a coach or ambassador, awesome. But not as a player...

Definitely. He was muck before he left. Would be a good influence in the dressing room maybe similar to Terry this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

surely the one person could only be Woodward - if Mourinho would have been happy with him coming in (inferring that) then Woodward would be the only person with the power to stop a deal going through; not like Jose would scupper the deal because Shaw, for example, said he would be annoyed by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

surely the one person could only be Woodward - if Mourinho would have been happy with him coming in (inferring that) then Woodward would be the only person with the power to stop a deal going through; not like Jose would scupper the deal because Shaw, for example, said he would be annoyed by it!

Maybe it was shaw, who knows maybe shaw said he would be annoyed if a lb arrived, maybe Jose then told him to prove his worth, kind of a motivational thing

That is just a wild guess by me

I see Arsenal are getting a going over about not out running thier opponents and remembered we were the same earlier in the season did we start running more or did the press drop it when our results improved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I see Arsenal are getting a going over about not out running thier opponents and remembered we were the same earlier in the season did we start running more or did the press drop it when our results improved?

*kloppenrunning

Or Jose simply went "Oh yeah, Evra, we'd love to have you back....but....uh.....someone....not saying who....not me, but someone else...doesn't, so sorrycan'tdothedeal, bye!" :P

Or just Evra saving face after pushing for the move by blaming a conveniently nameless person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The margins are so fine that it would just take one loss to knock the wind from our sails and make top 4 look very difficult again. A game of who doesn't bottle it between us, Pool, Arsenal and City.

Pool are still ahead and can't get any worse than they have been, some people in here called their drop off but I don't think it will last with a game a week and players rested up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

€40m for De Gea lol

Should be demanding €100m in the current market considering other transfers.

He is the best player in his postion in world football in my opinion.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    €40m for De Gea lol

Should be demanding €100m in the current market considering other transfers.

He is the best player in his postion in world football in my opinion.

Very little chance of him leaving now. Also he'd be worth 100 mil for sure. 10/15 years left in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

De Gea should be the most expensive goalkeeper of all time if he was sold. Basically he should not be sold.

Looking forward to the Summer transfer window. I honestly think we have two players sewn up already.

Semedo, Griezmann being two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

The margins are so fine that it would just take one loss to knock the wind from our sails and make top 4 look very difficult again. A game of who doesn't bottle it between us, Pool, Arsenal and City.

Pool are still ahead and can't get any worse than they have been, some people in here called their drop off but I don't think it will last with a game a week and players rested up.

Spurs may look very solid, and only have 2 losses all season, but they still have to be included in the mix too. They go to Anfield at the weekend, even just a draw there puts the gap between us and them at 3 points if we beat Watford.

And just last year they had a pretty big bottle job to finish their season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

astradave wrote: »
    *kloppenrunning

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/828920379431337984

Brendan Rodgers and Jurgen Klopp have almost identical records in their first 54 @premierleague games in charge of Liverpool.Under Rodgers they score 3 more and conceded 9 less,everything else is identical.
    #progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I know they are good for a laugh, but I guess we all know the real differences and the likes. Similar to Jose with us, with comparisons against Van Gaal and Moyes. While the numbers might be similar or worse, there is a very important part, hope and confidence, that you can't measure in numbers that make such a difference.

While Jose might have similar or worse stats already to Van Gaal or Moyes, I've great hope and confidence he can make it happen. Granted same hopes and confidence I had with Van Gaal, it's higher with Jose because of his track record.

In what will be Klopps full first season in charge, I'd imagine he will need to get more to grips with the transfer windows and his own style, which likely isn't sustainable over an English season .All well and good doing that in Germany with easy matches and a winter break, don't think it's sustainable over an entire season. Similar to my feelings with Pochetino.

Also think his lame excuses regarding transfer business is a cover for their own fans for either poor financial power, or players/targets not wanting to go to Liverpool. He won't meet expectations of that club without operating well in the transfer market and making that squad better. He will likely be given a few windows to mould the team in his shape, but thus far, he and his board have made a bags of two windows. He inherited a bogey defence and lackluster midfield and has made minor improvements in both, but nothing substantial or worth of note.

Maybe somewhat similar to Rodgers, if he believes he can "coach" that defence into being better then it is, he will likely fall flat on his face and fail in what he and the club want to achieve. Can polish a turd phrase springs to mind

zerks wrote: »

Brendan Rodgers and Jurgen Klopp have almost identical records in their first 54 @premierleague games in charge of Liverpool.Under Rodgers they score 3 more and conceded 9 less,everything else is identical.
    #progress.

silly stat really, its clear Klopp has a plan in place and we have already seen glimses of that.

Anyway, we are 6th so I wouldn't be really slagging off any other teams just yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭useless

Some paper talk that Pep might get rid of Aguero in the summer like he did E'to at Barcelona. Worth a cheeky bid? £90m maybe?

useless wrote: »
    Some paper talk that Pep might get rid of Aguero in the summer like he did E'to at Barcelona. Worth a cheeky bid? £90m maybe?

Surely not 90!? Isn't he like 28/29? More like 45 or so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I wouldn't be surprised if Aguero left City in the summer.I don't think he fits into Peps plan eventhough he is a fantastic player.
    No hope he will join United.

silly stat really, its clear Klopp has a plan in place and we have already seen glimses of that.

Anyway, we are 6th so I wouldn't be really slagging off any other teams just yet

Not really. 54 premium games is a large sample. Although they do have a clear style now doesn't mean it's much better.,

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Not really. 54 premium games is a large sample. Although they do have a clear style now doesn't mean it's much better.,

It's funny how Rodgers had them playing a similar all action style,whirlwind starts to games but if they got bogged down by a team that sat back and soaked it up then there was no plan B.Teams have figured that out again and they are being found out,we have Klopp more or less complaining that other teams don't play fair by putting 10 men behind the ball and catching them on the break.FFS United have had to cope with teams playing defensively for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

#progress.

To be fair, Rodgers also had Suarez. And Sterling. Both far superior to what they have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Aguero is injured half the time or suspended.

Lukaku would be a far more sensible buy than Aguero.

• Advertisement

rogers also had Luiz Suarez, probably one of the best players in Liverpools history

rogers also had Luiz Suarez, probably one of the best players in Liverpools history

Fair point.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Checks thread title. Confirms United thread.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Checks thread title. Confirms United thread.

Obsession.:pac::pac:

Just you wait until we go ahead of them this weekend.

Here's a fun fact.

https://twitter.com/ManUtdUpdates_/status/828977864578002944

Manchester United have already had more shots on target this season (146) than in the whole of 2015-16 (144) in the PL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Obsession.:pac::pac:

Just you wait until we go ahead of them this weekend.

Here's a fun fact.

https://twitter.com/ManUtdUpdates_/status/828977864578002944

Manchester United have already had more shots on target this season (146) than in the whole of 2015-16 (144) in the PL.

Still in 6th.

;)

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/828978335237697536
    Chelsea pursue Romelu Lukaku + Joao Cancelo as part of aggressive summer spend.

I wonder if Jose will go for Rom,he likes a big powerful CF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

I'd love Lukaku to replace Ibra sometimes you'd forget he's only 23

Been saying it for ages I'd love Lukaku would be excellent imagine him and Griezman in same team

mmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

If Greizmann is our only up top signing this summer I will be both happy and sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Nalz wrote: »
    If Greizmann is our only up top signing this summer I will be both happy and sad.

Depends really, if Ibra and Martial stick around id be happy if either leave we will need a replacement. Rooney is most likely gone this summer and Rashford is still raw.

• Advertisement

• duffman13 wrote: »
    Depends really, if Ibra and Martial stick around id be happy if either leave we will need a replacement. Rooney is most likely gone this summer and Rashford is still raw.

Still need a replacement for Carrick

Assuming we have about 150 mill to spend max. Who would people buy? And in what priority.

Assuming we have about 150 mill to spend max. Who would people buy? And in what priority.

Carrick replacement as top priority
    Striker as second
    RB as third.

Jayop wrote: »
    Carrick replacement as top priority
    Striker as second
    RB as third.

Exactly this. Thats without any transfers out, mind; if Martial goes, we need a winger. If Shaw goes, we need a LB. etc.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Exactly this. Thats without any transfers out, mind; if Martial goes, we need a winger. If Shaw goes, we need a LB. etc.

I'd be the same. But who would these transfers b e? Many options out there for a Carrick style replacements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Pretty happy with valencia. He's in great shape, shud get another 2 years out of him. other far more pressing issues

Shane St. wrote: »
    Pretty happy with valencia. He's in great shape, shud get another 2 years out of him. other far more pressing issues

No real problem with him either apart from we're completely dependent on him with no quality cover. Darmian has been brutal the last few times he's played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Been saying it for ages I'd love Lukaku would be excellent imagine him and Griezman in same team

mmmmmmm

It's a very risky one for me. At times I think he looks fantastic but his touch can be absolutely shocking. His goal record is very impressive but It would be a risk to see can he adapt to playing at a top club. I'm sure everton would be looking for upwards of 50m too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Pheonix10 wrote:

Griezemann
    A right back
    Holding midfielder
    Centre back

I think the following might be gone this summer
    Romero
    Darmian
    Smalling
    Daley
    Carrick
    Schweni
    Young
    Rooney
    Janujaz
    Borthwick Jackson

The following get more game time
    Fosu monster in midfield
    Tuanzebe

I think the following come into first team squad
    Perreira keeper
    Johnston keeper
    Perreira midfielder
    Gomes attacking midfielder

• Advertisement

Shane St. wrote: »
    It's a very risky one for me. At times I think he looks fantastic but his touch can be absolutely shocking. His goal record is very impressive but It would be a risk to see can he adapt to playing at a top club. I'm sure everton would be looking for upwards of 50m too

Majority of players we sign are going to be risky because they coming from so called lesser clubs.

Apart from Griezman they are no other high profile strikers at big clubs we could say are attainable and the right profile but Lukaku most certainly is.

50 million for Lukaku would be good business he is proven premierleague striker probably the safest risk of any striker signing and wouod fit our system with a little tweaking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement