Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

zerks wrote: »
    Thanks to Brexit the clubs debt is up by £87 million since the start of the year.

And yet about to post a record quarterly profit ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

TheDoc wrote: »
    And yet about to post a record quarterly profit ! :D

Total revenue for the fiscal second quarter ending December 31, 2016 was £157.9million - an 18 per cent improvement on the same period in 2015 - despite missing out on Champions League qualification.

Broadcasting revenue was up 40.8 per cent for the quarter to £52.5million and matchday earnings rose 27 per cent to £38.6million, due to an increase in matches.

Those figures mean United are on target to achieve record revenues of between £530million and £540million in the period from July 2016 to the end of June 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

With the massive increases in TV money I expect every EPL team to post record revenues (for them) over the next few years.

But aside from the TV money why is it that MU continue to do so well revenue. I know abou the deals and the foreign fans etc but just wondering if it is something unique to MU or is it they they are just better are capitalising on it than the other clubs?

If the latter, then can we expect that over the next few years the relative gaps will start to decrease?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I see De Gea to Real is gathering momentum again....

'The future, no-one knows' - David de Gea comments will worry Man United fans amid talk of Real move

That quote is basically the basis of the entire story!! Talk about garbage journalism....

I know I'm the victim of online clickbait but still!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I see De Gea to Real is gathering momentum again....

'The future, no-one knows' - David de Gea comments will worry Man United fans amid talk of Real move

That quote is basically the basis of the entire story!! Talk about garbage journalism....

I know I'm the victim of online clickbait but still!!!

must have been looking at all them Ronaldo interviews...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think it's almost a certainty De Gea will go to Madrid in the next 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Leroy42 wrote: »
    With the massive increases in TV money I expect every EPL team to post record revenues (for them) over the next few years.

But aside from the TV money why is it that MU continue to do so well revenue. I know abou the deals and the foreign fans etc but just wondering if it is something unique to MU or is it they they are just better are capitalising on it than the other clubs?

If the latter, then can we expect that over the next few years the relative gaps will start to decrease?

United capitalised on other markets relatively early on, big presence in Asia particularly and as that region starts to become wealthier the potential sponsorship details have boomed aswell. We have obviously got large deals with DHL, Chevrolet and Adidas but we've so many smaller deals around the world each worth a couple of million each.

Is it Something United exploit better than others? Yes but they've invested in these regions for years and it's starting to bear rewards. Chelsea have done fairly well in Asia too, id say Kenyon was probably a reason behind the success of both clubs in those markets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

duffman13 wrote: »
    United capitalised on other markets relatively early on, big presence in Asia particularly and as that region starts to become wealthier the potential sponsorship details have boomed aswell. We have obviously got large deals with DHL, Chevrolet and Adidas but we've so many smaller deals around the world each worth a couple of million each.

Is it Something United exploit better than others? Yes but they've invested in these regions for years and it's starting to bear rewards. Chelsea have done fairly well in Asia too, id say Kenyon was probably a reason behind the success of both clubs in those markets

Its not just the investment in Asia - it is the marketing strategy of United.

Selling sponsorship agreements per region (cheaper deals, more of them) or globally (bigger deals, boosted by need to compete with regional offers) has been a big play. Training ground and training/warm up kits another area United have taken advantage of where others have not.

United have built a great global brand, and the marketing team (and it is fecking huge now - dedicated team/offices in London) has done industry leading work in monetizing that brand - beyond simply being popular in other countries.

Whatever else I may say about the Glazers/Woodward - their marketing vision and execution have been superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Definitely not. Maybe in 6/7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Leroy42 wrote: »

Financially, Woodward has been shrewd. He has moved in a direction where the clubs finances are somewhat more "reliable" in that our majority incomes are from sponsorship deals.

The club has moved to ensure TV revenue while a nice supplement is not the foundation for our business.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise Tv revenue will drop in the next deal .Sky and BT have been absolutely wrecked with paying that monster TV deal, and then having subscriptions drop off as they pass that cost onto customers.

I somewhat assume the club do social media and fan involvement so well, because they probably see in the not too distant future, negotiating TV deals individually. But even more so, the club has an infrastructure in place where its entirely possible MUTV would have exclusivity over our games.

What you might see happening is when the TV deal shrinks (and it will, this current one is the peak, its going down after imo) is clubs who have become reliant on it in that period, will have a massive reality check, while we continue to be a force in terms of finance.

Just need to make sure that the team gets competitive and gets winning again, as it could lead to another period of dominance for whatever club has their ship in order once the TV deal landslides

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I'd imagine that if we aren't properly competing in at least one the big two competitions this time next year then I could see Dave pushing for move.

Hopefully not but it wouldn't surprise me.

hopefully madrid go after courtois and bale/ronaldo joins us!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

bangkok wrote: »
    hopefully madrid go after courtois and bale/ronaldo joins us!! :)

if we were going after either of bale/ronaldo id probable take bale now.

i do think de gea will eventually end up at madrid feels its like ronaldo we thats were he wants to end up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Wouldn't shock me but I think we are in a better position to lose him than we were in the last few seasons. The defence looks a bit more solid and if he were sold I think a more outspoken keeper might be as effective as Dave. Think he's a bit quiet at times.

It will be interesting to see how Jose deals with that situation should De Gea wish to go. Can't remember Jose being in that position before where one of his star players wants to leave?

Wouldn't shock me but I think we are in a better position to lose him than we were in the last few seasons. The defence looks a bit more solid and if he were sold I think a more outspoken keeper might be as effective as Dave. Think he's a bit quiet at times.

It will be interesting to see how Jose deals with that situation should De Gea wish to go. Can't remember Jose being in that position before where one of his star players wants to leave?

no chance. de gea saves us around 10 points a season. no other keeper in the league can do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

no chance. de gea saves us around 10 points a season. no other keeper in the league can do that

Yes, he saved us probably more than that in each of the last three years. But I don't think he's as infallible as he's made out to be and I don't think he's the best overall keeper in the world. I'd still rather keep him for the next 10 years though.

But my point is we might not miss him as much as we would have done because our defence is so much better and that better defence plus a keeper with more organisational and leadership skills would save us more points than we saved with a bad defence and a brilliant shot stopper.

https://twitter.com/FullTimeDEVILS/status/829732687627837440

ON THIS DAY: 2014 - Never forget. David Moyes' Manchester United some how managed to draw against Fulham with an obscene amount of crosses!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

ON THIS DAY: 2014 - Never forget. David Moyes' Manchester United some how managed to draw against Fulham with an obscene amount of crosses!

i think that was the game i gave up on moyes

Yes, he saved us probably more than that in each of the last three years. But I don't think he's as infallible as he's made out to be and I don't think he's the best overall keeper in the world. I'd still rather keep him for the next 10 years though.

But my point is we might not miss him as much as we would have done because our defence is so much better and that better defence plus a keeper with more organisational and leadership skills would save us more points than we saved with a bad defence and a brilliant shot stopper.

He is the best shot stopper in the world and probably has the best distribution for a goalkeeper in the the world. That IMO makes him the best keeper in the world with neuer a close 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Probably all Valencia and his crosses :)

Yep this was the game were I thought Moyes can't stick around. Mid table manager at best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

With all these rumors of Greizmann signing in the summer does anyone else think that no deal would be possible if we are absent fro the CL next season? I reckon if he played in the PL he would be class. Hes the type of player who works his socks off and is a clinical finisher.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Probably all Valencia and his crosses :)

Yep this was the game were I thought Moyes can't stick around. Mid table manager at best

If we had Zlantan, Pogba and Fellaini we woulda have won 10-2 Moyes just wasnt backed :pac:

Pro. F wrote: »
    Nani was a much better crosser than Valencia is, I wouldn't dispute that. But it's just not true to say Nani was picking the strikers out from similar positions to Val. Fergie's attack was much better set up, so that most of the time crosses were delivered from closer and/or after the defence was disrupted , not as a last resort when the defences had settled into their best shape.

Valencia does have the advantage of a big, strong CF and a similar midfielder or two to pick out. But even with that, relying on that type of attacking strategy is a recipe for mediocrity.

I'm sure there have, but that's not the issue. There have also been many times where he has recycled the ball and many times when he's used the close support to effectively progress the attack. And there have been far too many times where he has been given the ball in loads of space out wide, when the attack has lost any useful structure and the only option left is for him to hit a hopeful cross. That's the problem.

suppose it all depends on who is crossing the ball..... If for example Beckham was on our right wing and Zlatan was up front, our main source of attacking would be beckham whipping the ball in for zlatan to attack, i dont think you could consider that a recipe for mediocrity if the end result was lots of chances and goals created

• I assume the De Gea nonsense is coming from the media only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I assume the De Gea nonsense is coming from the media only

Yehh and they saying he refused to rule it out because he responded he didn't want to talk about the rumours he is happy in Manchester.

Its different this time the club has shown ambition they have one of the best managers on the world and the team spirit seems to be excellent.

If he does end up wanting to go well we have all the power for The next 18 months at least so I'm not worried we have Sam Johnstone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

I'd happily managed to erase that Fulham game from my mind until now. My god that was dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Yep same as everyone the game that turned me against him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

16602672_2215984048547115_862557228596749145_n.jpg?oh=46bd850fa29e62284d3f3c26c3dfc7cf&oe=593DF281

Saw this for the first time today, apparently a legit quote.

Fncking legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Rod Munch wrote: »
    16602672_2215984048547115_862557228596749145_n.jpg?oh=46bd850fa29e62284d3f3c26c3dfc7cf&oe=593DF281

Saw this for the first time today, apparently a legit quote.

Fncking legend.

My screensaver in work. what a guy!

It's easy to pledge your loyalty and career to a club when the club is Manchester United in the 90s/00s

...is the top reply I see made by 'neutrals' anytime this Scholes quote is posted in r/soccer. Nice 'n' salty.

Points from today's Financial Conference Call...
    - Not named, but Schweinsteiger has been written back into Man United accounts as an “exceptional item” – valued at £4.8m. "Exceptional credit £4.8m relates to reversal of registration for player re-established as member of 1st team squad."

- Commercial revenue £66.8m. Up 1.1%. Broadcasting £52.5m. Up 40.8%. Matchday £38.6%. Up 27% (more games in this quarter) Total £157.9m, up 18%.

- Woodward: "Pleased to be competing for 1st available trophy of season. Congratulates Wayne Rooney on being United's all-time record goal scorer"

- United: "Net finance costs for quarter - £12m from £7.3m (+155.3%) due to unrealised foreign exchange losses on retranslation of unhedged $ borrowing"

- Woodward: "Third of season left to play, looking forward to a strong finish”

- Woodward says club planning to launch MUTV app globally (where they are allowed). £1.49 to £4.99 a month.

- United: "Wages up 14.2% due primarily to new player acquisitions."

- Woodward: "Ticket price freeze is our policy regarding core fans at stadium. Number one priority is full stadium. Number two is noisy stadium"

- Woodward: "There's happiness from the manager of where we are as squad. There will be continual improvement, don’t have to churn large number of players"

- Woodward: "MUTV App can't go in UK or many countries where we have deals with partners who have exclusive content. Will b 160+ countries"

- Woodward on summer tour: "Not announced where we are going yet. Cant confirm or deny it is USA. Will be larger than last year."

- Woodward says he sees the club's position as number one shirt seller continuing.

- The club's debt has risen by £87m, with Brexit being cited as one of the reasons for the 27% increase in debt that amounts to £409m.

The morning papers saying we have a deal in place to sign Bernardo Silva from Monaco in the Summer.

• zerks wrote: »
    The morning papers saying we have a deal in place to sign Bernardo Silva from Monaco in the Summer.

Carrick's replacement
    Been rumoured for a while now, wonder what has the papers giddy this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Carrick's replacement

He is David Silva type player, not a Center Midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Carrick's replacement

Isnt he mostly a right winger?

Anyway Fabregas summing up how I feel about Valencia with this quote.

https://twitter.com/squawkanews/status/829687798261182464

Carrick's replacement

You must be thinking of Bakayoko as Carrick replacement who has been linked a while.. as Giggsy11 says he is an AM, think he can play anywhere across the pitch up there..

• astradave wrote: »
    You must be thinking of Bakayoko as Carrick replacement who has been linked a while.. as Giggsy11 says he is an AM, think he can play anywhere across the pitch up there..

Yep mixed it up, my bad

Mick just had a reus is a central midfielder moment :):) he will be along now to tell us now that silva played most of his games as a deep lying midfielder and that most wingers are failed central midfielders or goal keeper's :):):)

Silva is having a cracking season banging in goals.

• jayo26 wrote: »
    Mick just had a reus is a central midfielder moment :):) he will be along now to tell us now that silva played most of his games as a deep lying midfielder and that most wingers are failed central midfielders or goal keeper's :):):)

Silva is having a cracking season banging in goals.

Who does he replace? Are we not overloaded already IMO

• Advertisement

Lingard or Rooney..

I think it is a position that we could upgrade tbh but not really a priority.. if Rooney moves on we have 5 players for 3 positions and that's taking Rashford in there too.. if Rashford was moved up we would have 4.. in mkhi, Martial, Mata, Lingard. If we sign Silva we could move mkhi into the middle and have him on the right. 3 lightning quick players behind the striker if we play 4231..

It really depends on whether Jose gets the DM he wants I reckon if he does it will be someone that can cover loads of ground ala Carvalho/bakayoko and have Pogba as a box to box in a midfield 2 and move away from 433.

I also do think he would be an alternative to Griezmann, who's best position is a secondary striker..

We have lots on the right but we don't have any proper fast talented right wingers in the squad that's where silva plays.

Someone like him would be right and mata and Miki fight over the middle and we have the likes of martial and rashford fighting over the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He is an upgrade on every wide player currently at the club imo.
    Can also play anywhere across the front but predominantly from the RW.
    Probably just another bs rumour United will be linked with 100s of players over the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Christ, I see De Gea has been quoted using the old "The future, nobody knows" one.

Says he remains happy at the club too, refusing to comment on the Madrid link.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Carrick's replacement

Bernardo Silva is an attacking player? RW/CAM etc

*Trying to see what it feels like to be Zerks

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

suppose it all depends on who is crossing the ball..... If for example Beckham was on our right wing and Zlatan was up front, our main source of attacking would be beckham whipping the ball in for zlatan to attack, i dont think you could consider that a recipe for mediocrity if the end result was lots of chances and goals created

The end result wouldn't be lots of chances and goals created, that was the whole point of my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

3 points badly needed tomorrow, finally at least the chance of going 4th although very unlikely.

The end result wouldn't be lots of chances and goals created, that was the whole point of my post.

+1, hit and hope crosses get counted as crosses even if they are 15 feet up in the air.As you said before they are hardly a good attacking tool. There's a lot to be said for a decent delivery ala Becks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

zerks wrote: »
    +1, hit and hope crosses get counted as crosses even if they are 15 feet up in the air.As you said before they are hardly a good attacking tool. There's a lot to be said for a decent delivery ala Becks

I think you've misunderstood my post (edit: or maybe not, it's your last sentence I'm talking about). Let Becks take Valencia's crosses for him and we still wouldn't see enough improvement in the number of chances created for it to be a worthwhile tactic. The problem is far more to do with the nature of the build-up leading to the crosses than with the quality of the crosses, is what I'm saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I think you've misunderstood my post (edit: or maybe not, it's your last sentence I'm talking about). Let Becks take Valencia's crosses for him and we still wouldn't see enough improvement in the number of chances created for it to be a worthwhile tactic. The problem is far more to do with the nature of the build-up leading to the crosses than with the quality of the crosses, is what I'm saying.

Jokes? You're telling me if you have David Beckham and afforded him the time given to valencia he wouldn't create more goal scoring opportunities for the team...

Good one, April is a while aways yet.

Sometimes it's like you purposely say Rediculous things to get a reaction ..
    Why do I bite :(;

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement