Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

GSPfan wrote: »
    You've almost got to believe the race for the top 4 is going to be between 5 teams looking for 3 spots and its going to go to the last day of the season.

Spurs have only won 6 times out of 74 games at Anfield.Lesser teams than them showed them how to get a result against Liverpool and Spurs do the exact opposite and get what they deserve.
    We have a run of league games coming up that are winnable but we really need to improve our conversion rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    LOL you won't be near top 4 by end of the season ;)

Luckily Everton, City and Arsenal games are all coming soon enough so that should be 7 - 9 points in the bag! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Did you enjoy the tea time trip to 5th? ;)

I am just happy Liverpool have helped United close the gap to 2nd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

RobertKK wrote: »

Exactly we have 3 teams within two points of us now and at worst we will be 4 behind city on Monday night. Keep Winning one game at a time.

It's their year,first league win in 2017.Spurs never showed up today.

Never knew Spurs only won one away game against the top 8 in all comps since May 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Open for correction but I dont think we have conceded more then 1 goal per match in that 16 game unbeaten run.

Its nice to be confident when we go ahead now. When it went 2-0 you could relax. Under LVG you would always fear a collaspe of some kind

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Open for correction but I dont think we have conceded more then 1 goal per match in that 16 game unbeaten run.

Its nice to be confident when we go ahead now. When it went 2-0 you could relax. Under LVG you would always fear a collaspe of some kind

I think your right Kew,

Thought some of the link up play and the pressing was once again very good today

Great that Martial got a goal and a massive reception going off,really hope now that he will push on now for the rest of the season

Bailly though is some operator,at times he seems to have no control over his legs but he always gets the job done,the Paulo Wanchope of defending :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

What the hell is going on with Luke Shaw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think your right Kew,

Thought some of the link up play and the pressing was once again very good today

Great that Martial got a goal and a massive reception going off,really hope now that he will push on now for the rest of the season

Bailly though is some operator,at times he seems to have no control over his legs but he always gets the job done,the Paulo Wanchope of defending :D

Ya its the way we are working as a unite that im most happy with lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Assume it's Mourinho's "tough love" shtick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

We were good today but there was occasions where Watford could have and probably should have scored.

I'm actually happy Liverpool won, not long ago we were 9 points off 4th. At worst tomorrow we will be 4 off 2nd and 2 off 3rd.

PROGRESS

Mourinho comments on Martial...
    Jose wrote:
    "I'm happy with Anthony's last two weeks of work," said the boss to MUTV.

"The way he faced the work, hard work, with more concentration and more determination.

"That's why I gave him this gift, to start this game. Normally, after Leicester, I'd start with the same players and keep Marcus [Rashford] in the team. I just felt Marcus doesn't need a boost because he's playing all the time. Anthony was maybe feeling a little bit down and needed a gift. He answered in the best way."

In the post-match press conference, Mourinho elaborated on the situation regarding the popular Frenchman. "The Anthony Martial I want is the Martial of the last two weeks of training. If he trains the way he did in the past two weeks, he performs naturally the way he did today - or better.

"I think he is still missing a bit of his confidence. I kept shouting at him to attack the defender and go to the one-on-one as he needs that confidence but he's working very well. Anthony needs to feel that I am looking at him and that I know what he did in training and the effort he put in. So I gave him his chance and he played well. He had a good game for me."

Full article: http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2017/Feb/jose-mourinho-praises-man-of-the-match-anthony-martial.aspx?utm_campaign=ManUtd&utm_medium=post&utm_source=facebook

Great to see that Martial is responding well. Never mind a MOTM award, he also got the Jose Hug of Acceptance for his performance.

c1nIq6s.jpg?1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

We were good today but there was occasions where Watford could have and probably should have scored.

I'm actually happy Liverpool won, not long ago we were 9 points off 4th. At worst tomorrow we will be 4 off 2nd and 2 off 3rd.

PROGRESS

At worse 5 points off 2nd, 4 would put you 3rd

stankratz wrote: »
    Mourinho comments on Martial...

Full article: http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2017/Feb/jose-mourinho-praises-man-of-the-match-anthony-martial.aspx?utm_campaign=ManUtd&utm_medium=post&utm_source=facebook

Great to see that Martial is responding well. Never mind a MOTM award, he also got the Jose Hug of Acceptance for his performance.

c1nIq6s.jpg?1

Guy knows nothing, he's destroyed Micki, Martial and Mata..........and yet we still question him about shaw...even more silly when read what Jones has said and how Rojo has come on.

Yup truly a **** man manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm fairly confident that if he does not start you won't see him in match squads very often, he only covers one position from the bench whereas someone like Blind or even Darmian can cover at least two.

I don't think its over for him, but its all on him to prove his worth.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I'm fairly confident that if he does not start you won't see him in match squads very often, he only covers one position from the bench whereas someone like Blind or even Darmian can cover at least two.

I don't think its over for him, but its all on him to prove his worth.

Yea 100% agree on that, you need to cover as many bases from the bench as possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,641 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's really great to watch a utd team that actually is playing some brilliant stuff.

It's been such a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,634 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Headshot wrote: »
    It's really great to watch a utd team that actually is playing some brilliant stuff.

You'd think the neutrals would be enjoying watching Man United more these days, but the match threads are very quiet.

Sand wrote: »
    You'd think the neutrals would be enjoying watching Man United more these days, but the match threads are very quiet.

We aren't losing ;)

• Advertisement

Had a fairly ****e January tbh, even the chances looked to be drying up a little and the attack was ponderous again. Fine margins, hopefully the good run of form continues and we keep getting better.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I think I'll have a new favourite player if Bailly continues the way he's going.
    He's cool as f*ck under pressure, great feet, can play a pass and drive out of defence in possession. He's got everything.

I think I'll have a new favourite player if Bailly continues the way he's going.
    He's cool as f*ck under pressure, great feet, can play a pass and drive out of defence in possession. He's got everything.

Mate of mine was at game and said he was his motm by a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

zerks wrote: »
    Mate of mine was at game and said he was his motm by a mile.

He was class. Wouldn't begrudge Martial the MOTM though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

I thought Herrera deserved a shout for MOM. That was one of his best performances for us playing a slightly more defensive role. Pogba also had a solid if unspectacular game.

Herrera is the natural successor to Carrick in my eyes, said it before and today gave me more confidence in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Is our next game in the league Bournemouth? Just looking at the fixture list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Herrera is the natural successor to Carrick in my eyes, said it before and today gave me more confidence in it.

Totally agree, he has everything for the role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Is our next game in the league Bournemouth? Just looking at the fixture list.

Yep. Europa League, Fa Cup, Europa League and League Cup Final all before our next League game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Jose was my dream replacement for SAF and now that we finally got him? I couldn't be happier with what he has done to the team. And what he has done to transform Rojo boggles the mind. He was top of my 'Out' list last year. Now he misses a game or two with an injury and I'm going..."Crap, Rojo's out."

Bailey looked so good again yesterday he was so composed and cleaned up anything that came near him and his driving forward from defence with the ball was so like rio of years ago.

I said it few weeks ago he is like the best of Vidic and ferdinand combined into one and the defense should be built around him.

And the best part of it is he is only 22 for crikey sake he has less then a 100 professional club appearances to his name and if he is kept happy and in decent condition we could get another 13 years out of him.

Unbelievable Jeff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Very quiet day in here. Think its because we are all content. I'm even starting to get over the Stoke game.

Still though.
    Fookin Stoke.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Very quiet day in here. Think its because we are all content. I'm even starting to get over the Stoke game.

Still though.
    Fookin Stoke.

There's a list of games that annoy me.

The one thing I'd say though....I feel we were only utterly outplayed for 90 minutes once this season, and that was by the runaway winners of the league this year.

In a small handful of games, we lost our head for 20-25 minutes. But for the vast majority of dropped points, it's been down to our own weaknesses, not down to the strengthens of other teams; inabilities that can be fixed this summer as opposed to the problems which existed under LVG or Moyes, which looked like no amount of transfers would fix.

There's still problems but easily identifiable ones, and ones which should be easy to deal with. I'm very, very optimistic about everything right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

If we don't have a league game until March, will that not mean we'll be possibly below 6th and 6/7 points behind with loads of games in hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Everton are the closest to us and they are 7 points behind. I think we really only missing out on one weekend because of the league Cup final so they won't be catching up. The other weekend is an fa cup weekend.

If we don't have a league game until March, will that not mean we'll be possibly below 6th and 6/7 points behind with loads of games in hand?

No. We are only missing one match due to us being in the league cup final. Arsenal are in the same boat as us because they were going to be playing Southampton that week but obviously that was postponed.

Next week is FA Cup, week after is Premier League/Cup Final, then the next week is March when we play in the League again.

Chelsea leading again I suppose we're getting to the stage where we're gonna find it hard to catch them :):):)

Tek a boo Robbie Brady.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Chelsea leading again I suppose we're getting to the stage where we're gonna find it hard to catch them :):):)

oooooo hang on :pac:

Chelsea have the league won and I'm happy with it now cause it wont be us. My eyes are on 2nd place and a cup treble.

• Advertisement

Chelsea have the league won and I'm happy with it now cause it wont be us. My eyes are on 2nd place and a cup treble.

EFL and europa league and 2nd would be grand I'd accept that ;)

Zlatan said yesterday he has not given up on winning the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Zlatan said yesterday he has not given up on winning the league.

Does he mean this season? He mustn't realise the transfer window is closed :P

ScummyMan wrote: »
    Does he mean this season? He mustn't realise the transfer window is closed :P

Yes, he said it is only impossible when it is mathematically impossible and anything can happen.

Michael Keane...unreal today

Michael Keane...unreal today

Yeah he another Ryan Shawcross, good English centre half. Very good in defensive teams, well able for the battles

Yeah he another Ryan Shawcross, good English centre half. Very good in defensive teams, well able for the battles

AH yea not saying we were wrong to let him go more so I'm. Happy put for him

2 gained on spurs and Chelsea...
    If City win, it's an 8 point league with 36 points to play for. And CHELSEA have a lot of big teams to play yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

AH yea not saying we were wrong to let him go more so I'm. Happy put for him

2 gained on spurs and Chelsea...
    If City win, it's an 8 point league with 36 points to play for. And CHELSEA have a lot of big teams to play yet.

They only have 2 games left against the top 6 and their next 5 games are against Swansea,West Ham,Stoke, Watford and Palace.They should have it almost wrapped up by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Honestly at this stage I'd probably prefer Chelsea to have the league wrapped up before we play them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

jayo26 wrote: »
    EFL and europa league and 2nd would be grand I'd accept that ;)

If Mourinho pulled that off it would be as impressive as any of his other seasons at another club... given how good the opposition is, how close the league is and the fixture list.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement