Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Jayop wrote: »
    Honestly at this stage I'd probably prefer Chelsea to have the league wrapped up before we play them.

I don't agree. It's a competition to win. We're not Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I don't think the fixture list is gonna be as big a factor as we think. If it does harm us it will be on lack of preparation time but jose knows all the players now and should have an idea what he wants to do in advance and the players know him.

Look at our squad and I'd say the only players that are anyway over played is Zlatan and pogba and maybe ander.

The players that should be fresh and hungry now are Miki, Martial, rashford, Rooney, bastian, Fellaini, Jesse, darmian, smalling,

Just about the majority of our squad have had a few weeks without playing one game after another for various reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I don't agree. It's a competition to win. We're not Arsenal.

Were twelve points behind with thirteen games to play and sing much worse Gd.

To win the league we'd have to win every game send have Chelsea lose 4 and draw 1 of their remaining 13 games, only 2 of which are against top 6 teams.

The league is over this year. Chelsea having it wrapped up gives us a better chance of beating them and ending higher up the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Poor Leicester look like they have no clue what they're doing.

So low on confidence, can't see them putting up much of a fight against the pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

limnam wrote: »
    Poor Leicester look like they have no clue what they're doing.

So low on confidence, can't see them putting up much of a fight against the pool.

Surely they'll raise their game for that fixture....I'm not sure if I mean Leicester or Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If Chelsea lose the league now, they would officially be the biggest bottlers in all of history. The title dream is over.

That flick from Mata in the build-up to his goal yesterday, filthy...

https://streamable.com/738jo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

But Zlatan said he's not giving up on the title so it can't be over.

Admitting the league is unwinnable from our position now even though its mathematically possible also means you are accepting failure and should go follow Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

GSPfan wrote: »
    Admitting the league is unwinnable from our position now even though its mathematically possible also means you are accepting failure and should go follow Arsenal.

An optimist hopes the wind will change, a realist adjusts the sails.

We're out of the league, top four and a cup or two is the target.

Even if Chelsea tank we're not overtaking the other four teams as well as them.

• Advertisement

An optimist hopes the wind will change, a realist adjusts the sails.

We're out of the league, top four and a cup or two is the target.

Even if Chelsea tank we're not overtaking the other four teams as well as them.

Ah in fairness if (we're not) but if we were to win the league it would mean winning all our games so we pass the rest out as we have to play them all bar Liverpool. Moot point none the less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Ah in fairness if (we're not) but if we were to win the league it would mean winning all our games so we pass the rest out as we have to play them all bar Liverpool. Moot point none the less

Yes and even if we were to go on this 13 game winning streak and pull ahead of those four chances are Chelsea would not drop the additional ten points we would need them to (thirteen but assuming we beat them in OT) in their remaining 12 games.

Our title chances are sunk for this year, it's no harm being pragmatic and certainly doesn't make anyone a "loser" or indicate they should go support Arsenal.

On Sunday, Mkhitaryan spoke with German newspaper Bild and had some flattering things to say about Manchester United.
    Manchester United is not just any club

Mkhitaryan was asked to compare Borussia Dortmund, his former club, with Manchester United.

He said: “Manchester United is not just any club. Being a part of this club also means being part of a great story. If you play well, you always get your chance. If you do not, you are out the side very quickly. That’s why you have to be ready to get the best out of yourself”.

Whilst Mkhitaryan admits it was not a childhood dream of his to play for Manchester United, he refuses to accept that he simply moved from Dortmund for the money.

Mkhitaryan: “Manchester United has always been one of the best clubs in the world. And Manchester United is now a bigger club than Borussia Dortmund. Everyone knows that, and you have to accept that. When the request came, I knew that it would be a new challenge for me. With a new team, in a new country.”

The Manchester United attacker also talks through his initial challenges at Old Trafford: “When I watched the Premier League on TV, I would not have expected it to be so hard. The opponents are all physically strong, they are real athletes. That was not the case in Germany. You have to be prepared for this. But I have prepared myself. I have also informed myself about the history of England and Manchester. I wanted to know how people live here, what drives them. To this I naturally analysed English football. It was important to be mentally ready.”

http://www.101greatgoals.com/news/man-united-fans-will-love-henrikh-mkhitaryans-latest-interview-bild/

I've never been one for blind optimism. Nor pessimism either.

But realism dictates Chelsea have 60 points out of 75 available; they've dropped 15 points in 25 games. To catch them, presuming we win every single game (which is a big presumption for us), we need them to drop as many points again in half the number of games. That, quite simply, is unrealistic.

It also presumes that none of the other four teams between us and them also manage a better points return than us, which, again, has not been a trend this season has had.

I am confident we can get into second, and we should be aiming to win every game possible. But it's not "accepting failure", with the negative connotation you suggest, to sayI'll never get to meet and woo Scarlet Johanson, or become president. Sure, it might happen, I can dream it could happen...but healthy realism dictates such things are extremely unlikely.

As I said, for Chelsea to lose now, they'd have to have some massive, massive shift in fortunes, philosophy and form. Not just drop a few points but literally throw the entire thing away. It could happen. But it's not realistically going to. Blind optimism does little but make yourself feel foolish down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Wow is this a serious post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I still have the Hull game highlights on my Sky planner, haven't been able to watch after reading reports in here!!

Nalz wrote: »
    Wow is this a serious post?

Read back a few pages to my 4th last post then read a few other peoples posts after mine to see if I'm serious. ;)

I still have the Hull game highlights on my Sky planner, haven't been able to watch after reading reports in here!!

I honestly haven't watched it either. No need now either. It never happened.

Just saw this on reddit, from United v Hull 2008/09

Rb5S8DD.gif

Lol at Rooney and the amount of fúcks given about playing the ball. It must have been a high-aggression match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

stankratz wrote: »
    Just saw this on reddit, from United v Hull 2008/09

Rb5S8DD.gif

Lol at Rooney and the amount of fúcks given about playing the ball. It must have been a high-aggression match.

That's the Rooney we all loved.

• Advertisement

Rooneys rejuvenated hairline will confuse the hell out of people in the future trying to guess his age when they look back at clips.

That's the Rooney we all loved.

Thats why I love rooney still I never ever forget all the fantastic performance he put on for the club.

United are the first team in the EPL to reach 2000 points.Arsenal are 2nd on 1797.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Lord TSC wrote: »
    If Chelsea lose the league now, they would officially be the biggest bottlers in all of history. The title dream is over.

Don't agree with that at all, if Man City win tomorrow they are 8 points behind with 13 games to go.

Seem to remember a team bottling an 8 point lead with 6 games to go a few seasons ago. Surely that's a bigger bottle job?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Don't agree with that at all, if Man City win tomorrow they are 8 points behind with 13 games to go.

Seem to remember a team bottling an 8 point lead with 6 games to go a few seasons ago. Surely that's a bigger bottle job?

Liverpool dropped 5 points with 3 games to go 3 years ago might be worse

Hococop wrote: »
    Liverpool dropped 5 points with 3 games to go 3 years ago might be worse

I had completely forgot about that.............. Honestly ;);)

They didn't bottle it tho they slipped up.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I had completely forgot about that.............. Honestly ;);)

They didn't bottle it tho they slipped up.

You might say it "slipped your mind".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Haven't even seen Zerks post this one.. looks positive..

https://twitter.com/SimonPeach/status/830182585594703873

astradave wrote: »
    Haven't even seen Zerks post this one.. looks positive..

https://twitter.com/SimonPeach/status/830182585594703873

It was a snippet from his press conference a week or so ago but it does sound good he was saying that he doesn't want the club wasting time following unobtainable targets.

• Advertisement

I thought that was from the press conference before.. this one is from Fridays evening releases.. he must have been asked again.. to me it looks like we have deals in place and he wants everything done early. And tbf with no tournament football this year there is no excuses for leaving it late.

astradave wrote: »
    I thought that was from the press conference before.. this one is from Fridays evening releases.. he must have been asked again.. to me it looks like we have deals in place and he wants everything done early. And tbf with no tournament football this year there is no excuses for leaving it late.

Could of been its mostly same questions asked weekly ha. Yehh it would be nice to have a boring summer all deals done early.

Also I think Woodward said something last week in his meeting that this year's pre season tour would be bigger then last year so more games and get the team together quicker would help.

Martial's next goal will cost us €10m

As per a clause in his transfer deal, we owe Monaco ten million euro when he scores his 25th goal. He's currently on 24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,348 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

maybe thats why Jose's not been playing him much - Woodward told him to hold off on him til we moved into the next financial quarter. We had an earnings call the other day and financial update so Woodward may have freed Martial up after that.
    I don't believe any of this to be the case

maybe thats why Jose's not been playing him much - Woodward told him to hold off on him til we moved into the next financial quarter. We had an earnings call the other day and financial update so Woodward may have freed Martial up after that.
    I don't believe any of this to be the case

Haha not a hope would jose stand for that lol.

Also jose been talking about shaw

"The only thing I can say is that Luke is working well. I don't have any problem and he's working well. He's fighting hard, there is no problem with him,

"He has to work and wait," Mourinho stressed. "But I want one defender on the bench and the defender on the bench is somebody who can play more than one position.

"And Darmian can play left-back, right-back and would be an emergency central defender for us, so my choice was Darmian.

Someone In here called this last week it turns out jose been thinking along same lines.

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Martial's next goal will cost us €10m

As per a clause in his transfer deal, we owe Monaco ten million euro when he scores his 25th goal. He's currently on 24.

Meh, pocket change
    And that's the last of the contract clauses triggered if I'm correct

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Meh, pocket change

Think there is one if he was a winner of the ballon d'or..

Meh, pocket change

Joe was slabbering that there's more should he hit x amount of caps for France and more should he get a balon d'or nomination.

I don't believe half these are anything more than a journos imagination.

• To add to the Ibras performance at the weekend, he created 6 goal scoring chances in the game with 1 assist.
    Some were implying that he had a poor game and I argued that fact.
    Yes he missed big chances which can happen, but he was involved in everything including the goals we scored.

I can't think of him 'creating' that much if I'm honest. Even the second goal he probably hit the assist but it was more of a solo goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I thought he had a poor game to be honest, but its the sign of his class and quality that even when playing poorly he created the goal.

• Advertisement

• Jayop wrote: »
    I can't think of him 'creating' that much if I'm honest. Even the second goal he probably hit the assist but it was more of a solo goal.

What the game continued to highlight for me is the importance of all the attacking players contributing to the goal tally.
    Ibra had an off day from a finishing perspective but he has scored 20. We can't solely bank on him all the time.
    There were other players who missed sitters this weekend including miki ryan.
    I thought 2-0 scoreline flattered Watford but our finishing continues to be a concern from the rest of the team.
    We have to be more clinical. My head was wrecked for the first 30 minutes.

Juan Mata has been involved in more goals since coming to England than any other EPL player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

zerks wrote: »
    Juan Mata has been involved in more goals since coming to England than any other EPL player.

didnt you hear, he's a "fookin woman"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Such a good signing. He pops up with goals so often and his link up play with Herrera and Miki is a joy to watch. One of my favourite players in the team.

bangkok wrote: »
    didnt you hear, he's a "fookin woman"

Ha ha ha ha. :) Not the only one by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The sad thing is some will be surprised by that. Still underappreciated for me. One thing Moyes got 100% right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

But Jose forced Mata out of Chelsea, Mata never wanted to join United...

Reality being, Mata wanted to move to United.

To add to the Ibras performance at the weekend, he created 6 goal scoring chances in the game with 1 assist.
    Some were implying that he had a poor game and I argued that fact.
    Yes he missed big chances which can happen, but he was involved in everything including the goals we scored.

His passing the other day was awful. I don't know where to get passing stats for games but id bet he completed around 20% if he was lucky and not because he was playing through balls and stuff like that. He was just muck at passing the ball 10 yards.

He could have played better and should have been taken off but it doesn't change the fact he is a good player and a real asset to the team this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

My wallet and Zlatan Ibrahimovic think he should have been involved in more!
    Also, technically this isn't correct as Cesc Fabregas has scored 45 goals and had over 100 assists "since coming to England".
    Your stat should say that Mata has ....... since he came to England!
    Then its factually correct.
    Stats are selective - Hazard for example is only about 5 or 6 behind, but hasn't been in England for as long.

I just know that when Ibra passes to him, he usually spanners it over the bar !
    He has turned 3 points into 1 this season more than once.
    Statistically based rant over! - you can probably counteract with how many games he has won for them.
    I will admit he's a handy player:)

His passing the other day was awful. I don't know where to get passing stats for games but id bet he completed around 20% if he was lucky and not because he was playing through balls and stuff like that. He was just muck at passing the ball 10 yards.

He could have played better and should have been taken off but it doesn't change the fact he is a good player and a real asset to the team this season.

His pass rate was 63 % going by whoscored

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1080722/Live

Click on the player to see his stats

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement