Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ADM is the type of lazy player who is hard to motivate.

LvG is the type of manager who struggles to motivate lazy players.

It was a match made in hell. Both of them shoulder equal blame imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm doing an absolutely brilliant job of staying off the matchmaking lists.

You're always on my list no matter what the beta says Mars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

bangkok wrote: »
    Seeing as it's valentines night, I love ye all and I have liked every post from the last 2 pages. As mata would say.....hugs

Bangkok you're #vile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'm with TSC on this one if di maria had to arrive when jose arrived im 100 percent confident that we would see a different adm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Miki was one of the best players in Germany for the last two years. Definitely a big name signing.

Jose has always spent at the higher end of the market and he'll continue to do so. I'd say United will get Griezman, a CM and a CB/LB/RB (depending on how Jones and Shaw finish the season with injuries).

I think you may go for a winger soon as well but personally I think Martial could do a fantastic job there, with Rashford been the main backup for Ibra.
    Not really,an excellent player no doubt but not a particular big name.

United will get linked to mostly big/star name signing from all the major clubs but I dont think that is who will be signed.
    I still expect big money to be spent and spent on good players.Players will Bakayoko and Semedo are playing CL football but not huge names,will be a lot more attainable compared some of the players United were linked wit.

Look at players like Drogba and Essien who Jose signed ,excellent players but weren't exactly household names at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I'd say Di Maria was most at fault if I had to guess.

Can you expand on this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

yabadabado wrote: »
    Not really,an excellent player no doubt but not a particular big name.

United will get linked to mostly big/star name signing from all the major clubs but I dont think that is who will be signed.
    I still expect big money to be spent and spent on good players.Players will Bakayoko and Semedo are playing CL football but not huge names,will be a lot more attainable compared some of the players United were linked wit.

Look at players like Drogba and Essien who Jose signed ,excellent players but weren't exactly household names at the time.

We were supposed to be in for Essien when he signed for Chelsea.

I was sickened when they got him.

Hopefully Jose can uncover this generations version, monster of a player.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    ADM is the type of lazy player who is hard to motivate.

LvG is the type of manager who struggles to motivate lazy players.

It was a match made in hell. Both of them shoulder equal blame imo.

ADM lazy ?

As I said United fans come off looking a little foolish when discussing him.

Why on earth would a player who was arguably the 3rd best on the planet and best player at world cup in 2014 waste his best years on a manager who quite frankly looked clueless and played him out of position ?

He had zero ties to Manchester.

He's just ****ed Barcelona out of the CL who knows how far backwards he would have went if he stayed and played under LVG for another year.

• beno619 wrote: »
    Can you expand on this ?

I'd say both share some blame.
    When the chips were down he didn't have the required work-rate to help his team (losing possession and not helping out in defense).
    Helping out defensively however is not something he does at any club. Veratti was doing that all night for him last night as an example.
    From LVGs perspective Ashley Young kept him out of the team for this reason and rightly so.
    An clear argument to be made that LVGs system was for sure flawed as it did not suit Di Marias style but that doesn't mean a player should just not bother and give up so easily.

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'd say both share some blame.
    When the chips were down he didn't have the required work-rate to help his team (losing possession and not helping out in defense).
    Helping out defensively however is not something he does at any club. Veratti was doing that all night for him last night as an example.
    From LVGs perspective Ashley Young kept him out of the team for this reason and rightly so.
    An clear argument to be made that LVGs system was for sure flawed as it did not suit Di Marias style but that doesn't mean a player should just not bother and give up so easily.

From my memory I can't remember shouting at the TV thinking ADM was lazy. I think he's similar to Nani works as hard as you would expect a attacking wide player to.

Lets not forget that for 2-3 months he was fantastic then the LVG rot set in. He was mismanaged.

Anyway the crux of the issue is if your Di Maria why on earth would you stay ?

• beno619 wrote: »
    From my memory I can't remember shouting at the TV thinking ADM was lazy. I think he's similar to Nani works as hard as you would expect a attacking wide player to.

Lets not forget that for 2-3 months he was fantastic then the LVG rot set in. He was mismanaged.

Anyway the crux of the issue is if your Di Maria why on earth would you stay ?

I remember shouting at the TV when he continuously lost possession!
    But yes I agree he had a fantastic start to his Utd career and there is no way in hell a player worth his price would spend his time sitting on the bench regardless of what was going on at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Rod Munch wrote: »
    We were supposed to be in for Essien when he signed for Chelsea.

I was sickened when they got him.

Hopefully Jose can uncover this generations version, monster of a player.

That's what I'm hoping for ,not going for superstar signings but up and coming players who are attainable .
    Essien was a class player and iirc United had him over on trial when he was a young lad .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

yabadabado wrote: »
    That's what I'm hoping for ,not going for superstar signings but up and coming players who are attainable .
    Essien was a class player and iirc United had him over on trial when he was a young lad .

I think a mix is what you need. It's what Fergie always did albeit with premier league stars as opposed to world stars for the most part.

Look back at the transfer records of our best periods. There's be a really big name every year or two mixed with unknowns or players with tonnes of potential.

It's a great formula and no reason it can't still work once the squad is settled like it seems now.

I still think we're probably going to go for two big signings this summer with the rest being younger lesser known names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

A player came with a big reputation and a high fee and wanted out after 12 months. I think the bulk of the blame has to be put at LVG's door tbh, and Di Maria was not the only one who begged to get out under his tenure.

Saying that, it was only a few months ago that PSG fans were booing him for a perceived lack of effort so he does have that as part of his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

beno619 wrote: »
    Can you expand on this ?

Well there were many reports that he was unhappy and disinterested at PSG when things weren't going so well for him there too.
    At the time it all sounded a bit familiar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i really think the break in on di marias house changed everything after that he just seemed to be not there anymore as he was brilliant at times during the first half of the season

Well there were many reports that he was unhappy and disinterested at PSG when things weren't going so well for him there too.
    At the time it all sounded a bit familiar.

Wasn't aware of this. Fair enough.

sky88 wrote: »
    i really think the break in on di marias house changed everything after that he just seemed to be not there anymore as he was brilliant at times during the first half of the season

I think it was used as an excuse to force a move or at least to show he didn't want to stay with united.

Every city in the world is dangerous he is multi millionaire of course he is going to be targeted thats why people hire security to look after their homes or monitor them.

Unfortunately there are a lot more serious things going on in Paris then ever happened in Manchester would put me off visiting there never mind living in the city.

I fully think it was down to he didn't want to play for the manager and didn't like his brand of football and if that's the case I don't blame him for that but I don't like the break in at his house used as an excuse by him.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I think it was used as an excuse to force a move or at least to show he didn't want to stay with united.

Every city in the world is dangerous he is multi millionaire of course he is going to be targeted thats why people hire security to look after their homes or monitor them.

Unfortunately there are a lot more serious things going on in Paris then ever happened in Manchester would put me off visiting there never mind living in the city.

I fully think it was down to he didn't want to play for the manager and didn't like his brand of football and if that's the case I don't blame him for that but I don't like the break in at his house used as an excuse by him.

while i agree he used it as an excuse and a lot is happening in paris but when something happens to yourself it can be more terrifying for them always got the feeling it was his family pushing wanting out.

but i do think paris was his first choice and he didnt want to be in manchester so it was never going to last in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I was watching the match last night, my other half walked in about 5 minutes before Di Maria's second. She'd have a passing interest and would know how terrible Di Maria was for United. I haven't mentioned him since he's left.

When he scored that ridiculous his second goal (after she saw he'd scored the first too) against one of the best teams in the world, the look she gave me was like "yer not f*cking serious"

Brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Thought Veratti controlled the game in a way that was paul scholes esque last night. A very very talented player.

Rabiot was just incredible, his energy from the get go was insane, he harassed and tormented that midfield.

PSG have a seriously good midfield.

One player I wouldn't have near my team is Gomes in the middle, thought he was dreadful.

Thought Veratti controlled the game in a way that was paul scholes esque last night. A very very talented player.

Rabiot was just incredible, his energy from the get go was insane, he harassed and tormented that midfield.

PSG have a seriously good midfield.

One player I wouldn't have near my team is Gomes in the middle, thought he was dreadful.

i wouldnt say that one barca player had a good night.

veratti and rabiot just looked like superstars last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Rabiot is really turning into a very good midfielder. Shows great energy and desire and well capable of playing ball also.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

DiMaria forced a move out of Manchester by not turning up to preseason, you can dislike LVG all you want but that doesnt excuse his behaviour. he also has been more hit then miss in France and was flirting with china recently so that says more about the players attitude then LVG.

DiMaria was a disaster for us and the worst was he never even tried a leg, good riddance and I certainly dont have such anti lvg glasses on to wish him well not that he cares :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Rabiot is really turning into a very good midfielder. Shows great energy and desire and well capable of playing ball also.

didn't arsene wenger say arsenal nearly signed Rabiot?? :)

I see Griezmann is already talking about the rain in England, would nearly prefer if we made a move for Lukaku, big, strong, can play upfront on his own...

in saying that, can you imagine we signed both in the summer :D

I see Griezmann is already talking about the rain in England, would nearly prefer if we made a move for Lukaku, big, strong, can play upfront on his own...

He was asked about united again and he said he seen no reason to move from Madrid but would re assess at the end of the summer and he gave his opinion on each league option he has.

He said Germany is not a proper league... Said France is not of any interest to him yet.... Italy is not a high profile league and he said England has bad weather oh and he said Spain had only two options for him one was barca who already have 3 world class attackers and real Madrid will never happen because of who is with now.

Not really a major declaration that he is worried about the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I think he is just trying to distance himself from speculation so he can concentrate on Atletico.. I would take anything he says with a pinch of salt tbh..

Also it shouldn't be either/or between Griezmann and Lukaku.. Griezmanns best position is playing off the front man or cutting in from the right.. signing griezmann really is a case of whether Jose will stick with 4141 or more to a 4231 by buying a more mobile Carrick replacement and having Herrera/Pogba play the other role as I can't see anywhere for him in the 4141 without selling one of martial mkhi or Rashford..

By all accounts Lukaku is going to sign with Everton and Zlatan might stay on with us so it could be a case of signing Griezmann this year and Lukaku the following summer to have them play off each other.

/muppet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

beno619 wrote: »
    Thoroughly enjoying Barca being smashed.

Still a Di Maria fan and find all the "snake" stuff petty and embarrassing.

His behaviour, performances and exit from the club were an embarrassment, all at his door.

He could have been a genuinely, unquestioned world superstar playing for a club like hours. Couldn't hack it, off to PSG where by all accounts he is still pissing people off acting the bollox. Good riddance to him in my view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'm with TSC on this one if di maria had to arrive when jose arrived im 100 percent confident that we would see a different adm.

Well unfortunately for Di Maria, he doesn't run the club, and he doesn't choose management.

He got paid handsomely to join a massive club and become a key player, and in the end just ended up putting in ****e performances being kept out of the team by Felaini. Sorry blame Van Gaal all you want, this is was and is a clear player issue.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Well unfortunately for Di Maria, he doesn't run the club, and he doesn't choose management.

He got paid handsomely to join a massive club and become a key player, and in the end just ended up putting in ****e performances being kept out of the team by Felaini. Sorry blame Van Gaal all you want, this is was and is a clear player issue.

But that's the problem di maria should not be kept out by Fellaini they are both different players in different positions lvg tried to play him in roles he should never be played.

I'm not saying di maria is blameless of course he is not but he was miss managed. When he joined the club first he was playing in his normal positions he was one of our best players when he was played deeper and moved around the team his performances dropped and he list his way at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Presser:

Looks like Shaw won't be playing in the EL anyways.. Jose happy with his back 4 atm.. might rotate him in for the FA Cup..

https://twitter.com/RobDawsonMEN/status/831860916555759616

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ed has briefed Griezmann on what to say,throw the rest off the scent :D

The only interesting question in that presser was the last one and his answer was cut short on the video.

v3ttel wrote: »
    I was watching the match last night, my other half walked in about 5 minutes before Di Maria's second. She'd have a passing interest and would know how terrible Di Maria was for United. I haven't mentioned him since he's left.

When he scored that ridiculous his second goal (after she saw he'd scored the first too) against one of the best teams in the world, the look she gave me was like "yer not f*cking serious"

Brilliant.

Cherish her, dearly.

Jayop wrote: »
    The only interesting question in that presser was the last one and his answer was cut short on the video.

It was without doubt the most boring, dragging United-related thing I've watched in a good 9-10 months.

Best part was when a French journo asked something like 'What did you think of PSG in their win over Barcelona last night?' and Jose replied 'I don't know, I watched recording of St. Etienne v Lorient instead'.

St. Etienne won that game 4-0 by the way. Lorient are bottom of the French league with 15 losses out of 25 games played.

St. Etienne's manager already said that the league takes priority in their busy February schedule. They have a tough away game against Montpellier in the league on Sunday. I would expect them to rest some players against United on Thursday in anticipation of that league match.

Given that United 'only' have a cup game at the weekend, I'd expect Jose to play what he reckons are his strongest 11 for the Europa game, and use the FA Cup game to give the likes of Romero, Shaw and Schweinsteiger minutes.

stankratz wrote: »
    It was without doubt the most boring, dragging United-related thing I've watched in a good 9-10 months.

Best part was when a French journo asked something like 'What did you think of PSG in their win over Barcelona last night?' and Jose replied 'I don't know, I watched recording of St. Etienne v Lorient instead'.

St. Etienne won that game 4-0 by the way. Lorient are bottom of the French league with 15 losses out of 25 games played.

St. Etienne's manager already said that the league takes priority in their busy February schedule. They have a tough away game against Montpellier in the league on Sunday. I would expect them to rest some players against United on Thursday in anticipation of that league match.

Given that United 'only' have a cup game at the weekend, I'd expect Jose to play what he reckons are his strongest 11 for the Europa game, and use the FA Cup game to give the likes of Romero, Shaw and Schweinsteiger minutes.

I really hope so. It would be great to put this tie to bed this week and be able to relax next weekend, maybe put a few players in cotton wool ahead of the cup final.

Jayop wrote: »
    I really hope so. It would be great to put this tie to bed this week and be able to relax next weekend, maybe put a few players in cotton wool ahead of the cup final.

It'd be great to get such a result at home this Thursday that Jose could leave some players at home for the return leg in France (like Zlatan, Valencia, Herrera) and rest them ahead of the EFL final.

2-0 at Old Trafford would be enough to take that chance I reckon.

• Advertisement

Sorry blame Van Gaal all you want, this is was and is a clear player issue.

Not worth arguing as you still cannot acknowledge his massive failings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

In fairness to him leaving is no black mark against him just on field stuff. Man utd to him were just a paycheck

Insigne scored lovely goal for napoli. I'm scouting mertens for united I reckon he could be a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Really miss the Champions League!!! Would be great if can get in top 4 but Europa League should be taken very seriously as you never know what could happen down the line in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Sanchez is wasted in that Arsenal team. Would love to see him in a United shirt.

Ozil is muck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Would love Arsenal to knock Bayern out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

KH25 wrote: »
    Sanchez is wasted in that Arsenal team. Would love to see him in a United shirt.

Arsenal have been far far better than United the last 3 seasons. Bizarre statment to make, as is bangkok's above considering his Veratti lol last night.

Liam O wrote: »
    Arsenal have been far far better than United the last 3 seasons. Bizarre statment to make, as is bangkok's above considering his Veratti lol last night.

Ozil is crap in every big game for arsenal. Even arsenal supporters will tell you that, his work ethic is zero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Sanchez will not be sold to us unless we offered stupid money and he forced it by doing what Payet did. Arsenal have said they no longer need to sell anymore like they have before.

Id say its best to just forget about signing him as he may stick with Arsenal if they bring in a new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ozil is crap in every big game for arsenal. Even arsenal supporters will tell you that, his work ethic is zero

Meh, heard the same about every top player before. Big games are big games because they are against better teams which means most players will be worse.

Is Pogba "muck"?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement