Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Liam O wrote: »
    Arsenal have been far far better than United the last 3 seasons. Bizarre statment to make, as is bangkok's above considering his Veratti lol last night.

Opinions are gas aren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Meh, heard the same about every top player before. Big games are big games because they are against better teams which means most players will be worse.

Is Pogba "muck"?

Pogba is miles ahead of ozil in terms of skill, work rate and big big performance. Even this season when we played arsenal at ot, pogba dominated the game while ozil went missing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

bangkok wrote: »
    Ozil is crap in every big game for arsenal. Even arsenal supporters will tell you that, his work ethic is zero

No, actually, we won't.

He's had poor big games and good big games. You know the two teams he's scored the most goals against are Bayern and Atletico yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Pogba is miles ahead of ozil in terms of skill, work rate and big big performance. Even this season when we played arsenal at ot, pogba dominated the game while ozil went missing

Top top player

Mata all day over ozil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

KH25 wrote: »
    Opinions are gas aren't they?

It's not an opinion. They've finished in the top 4 all 3 seasons including 2nd last season and have 2 FA Cups. Made it to the CL KO stages. United have finished below them every season and won 1 FA Cup. Getting knocked out in the CL group stages.

Not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Arsenal have been far far better than United the last 3 seasons. Bizarre statment to make, as is bangkok's above considering his Veratti lol last night.

Objectively though, they have won 2 FA Cups and 2 Community Shields over those 3 seasons whereas United have won 1 FA Cup and 2 Community Shields. Better, but not far, far better.

They've finished higher up the table but no one cares who finished 4th in in 1978.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

It's not an opinion. They've finished in the top 4 all 3 seasons including 2nd last season and have 2 FA Cups. Made it to the CL KO stages. United have finished below them every season and won 1 FA Cup. Getting knocked out in the CL group stages.

Not even close.

That's nice. I'd still like to see Sanchez play for united.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Sand wrote: »
    Objectively though, they have won 2 FA Cups and 2 Community Shields over those 3 seasons whereas United have won 1 FA Cup and 2 Community Shields. Better, but not far, far better.

They've finished higher up the table but no one cares who finished 4th in in 1978.

By the end of this season we cold objectively say we've had a better 4 seasons than they have should we win a couple of pots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ozil would put even Berbatov to shame with his laziness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Interesting read about the most expensive player, IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD!!!!!!
    When you make a move for a world record fee, or even a club record fee, there’s always likely to be real pressure to not only make a real impact but do so instantly.

Eye-catching price tags are something that countless players have struggled to live up to in the past and certainly this season is no different. Andre Ayew set West Ham back over £20m in the summer, Jordon Ibe was a mere £15m for Bournemouth and Borja Baston, remember him, broke Swansea’s transfer record for a similar fee.

However, all of those figures pale in comparison to the £89m that Manchester United forked out to ensure the return of Paul Pogba. It’s a valuation that will likely continue to hang over the midfielder’s ever-changing head of hair for the rest of his career, and represents an opportunity to get on the Frenchman’s back should he dare to have an underwhelming game.

In fairness, there were a few of those from the 23-year old as he re-adjusted to the pace of English football, but while that would be wholly understandable for most, the money spent to secure his return to Old Trafford meant many were quick to question the fee. It is, of course, a ludicrous amount, but that’s football now and we have to accept it. With Pogba, after all, you’re not just signing a player, you’re signing a brand, which is something United were very aware of.

Just how marketable an individual is doesn’t win football matches, as was painstakingly apparent at the unfortunate timing of what was probably his worst performance in a United shirt against Liverpool, with the hashtag Pogba emoji haunting him from the billboards in a disappointing display. It’s crucial to the biggest deals in football nowadays though, and only serves as another instrument with which to beat ‘the brand’ over his head should he have a poor run.

In truth though, on the main Pogba has delivered exactly what was, or at least should have been, expected. Abject performances in both matches against United’s fiercest rivals in Liverpool have unsurprisingly but perhaps slightly unfairly skewed opinions of just how good the France international has been.

It’s undoubtedly true that Pogba should have improved on a modest four-goal haul given that he has mustered the fourth most shots in the league but his finishing, particularly from inside the box, has never been a strong suit by any means. Instead, with Pogba what you get is a presence in the middle of the park who has the ability to dictate the pace of matches and pull off genuinely outstanding passes into the final third.

Indeed, the former Juventus man’s technique and vision are that of a truly world-class talent. Ten players may have created more chances than the Frenchman in the Premier League this season but when you exclude set-pieces from those figures, Pogba’s tally of 46 ranks fifth, one behind Kevin De Bruyne, alongside Eden Hazard and one ahead of Christian Eriksen.

The rapport he has forged almost instantaneously with Zlatan Ibrahimovic has been the driving force behind Manchester United’s upturn in performances after a disappointing start. Bare in mind that he doesn’t have pace and mobility in front of him, but the intelligence of Ibrahimovic’s movement not only allows Pogba to spot passes that few others could but deliver them with pinpoint accuracy.

A total of nine accurate through balls that have led to shots this season is three more than any other Premier League player, making a return of just three assists – all of which have come from said pass types – somewhat misleadingly low. While Pogba has very much played his part in United having the fifth-lowest conversion rate in the Premier League, if their finishing were up to scratch compared to those around them, there’s little question that not only would Pogba would have more assists, but Mourinho’s men would be in the thick of a title race.

It’s not just his creativity that has inspired what is now the longest Premier League unbeaten run all season either (16 games). His ability to breeze past opponents in the middle of the park also puts the team on the front foot having completed the seventh most dribbles in England’s top flight and the most of any central midfielder (60).

Despite his well documented woes when marking from corners, he also leads the way for players in his position in terms of aerial duels won per game (3.1), further highlighting just how dominant he can be in the middle ground. His physique gives him the platform to become the archetypal super-footballer of the modern era, akin to previous transfer record breakers Bale and Ronaldo, and at 23 there’s very little to limit his potential. It’s also worth following the Premier League Scores with Sbat for United’s upcoming games.

He’s already undeniably pivotal to this Manchester United side, having averaged the third most passes per game in the Premier League (74.4), from a more advanced position than Henderson and Herrera ahead of him. With a further 1.8 tackles and 1.2 interceptions per game, were it not for a modest goal tally it would be very difficult to argue that Pogba hasn’t lived up to expectations, or realistic ones at least.

He’s earned the the third highest rating in the Premier League from WhoScored.com this season (7.75) as a result of his highly commendable all round contribution. He’s young and needs to improve areas of his game, but so did Ronaldo at his age. So did Bale. Pogba may not have been perfect but he’s been pretty bloody good.

F365-Pogba.jpg

Source.

I genuinely believe that over the next 3 to 4 seasons the transfer fee will be viewed as been a fantastic bit of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,645 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Jayop wrote: »
    By the end of this season we cold objectively say we've had a better 4 seasons than they have should we win a couple of pots.

Other interesting thing is that over the last 3 seasons, United got to the quarter finals of the CL more often than Arsenal did despite not qualifying for it the majority of the time.

J. Marston wrote: »

My granny would move more than ozil and she's dead 10 years!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,651 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

J. Marston wrote: »

telling ya I would have Berba at the club over the likes of Ozil any day of the week.

I've never really gotten Ozil, terribly over rated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

My granny would move more than ozil and she's dead 10 years!!

She buried beside matas granny didn't ya say?? :):)

Headshot wrote: »
    telling ya I would have Berba at the club over the likes of Ozil any day of the week.

I've never really gotten Ozil, terribly over rated

I donno why Berba is always compaired in these situations?? He might not of moved much or defenduch but that was just his game he was generally a top class player for us for a couple of seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,651 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Post match is going to be epic with Eamo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

This <3

berbatov-skills-o.gif

• Headshot wrote: »
    Post match is going to be epic with Eamo

I missed his Barca speech

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Oh Arsenal. Its just so predictable at this stage. I think they should revoke that contract offer to Arsene and just go get Allegri or Simeone.

• GSPfan wrote: »
    Oh Arsenal. Its just so predictable at this stage. I think they should revoke that contract offer to Arsene and just go get Allegri or Simeone.

What says a manager like simeone would go near them?
    Why would he leave one of the best teams in Europe?
    Arsenal are in a similar position to that of Utd were when Fergie left to an extent
    Bar the fact that Fergie could pull league winning performances out of some average players
    Wenger needs to go but Arsenal have a long way to go to rebuild when he does. It's really not as black and white as people may think
    It will get worse when he leaves IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Arsenal fans will probably be happy they are out of the CL so that they can fully concentrate on finishing top four and getting into the CL.

Think I'm joking? Not really, that seems to be the attitude from a hell of a lot of people in todays game.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What says a manager like simeone would go near them?

Why do you assume Simeone's Arsenal would be anything like Wengers?

I don't even rate Simeone as much as some but Wenger being unable to manage a wet fart these days wouldn't really have any bearing on what a new manager would have the chance to do if he went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Simeone wants the Inter job, not Arsenal.

ElChe32 wrote: »
    Simeone wants the Inter job, not Arsenal.

I never said Arsenal wanted the Inter job.

• Advertisement

• Why do you assume Simeone's Arsenal would be anything like Wengers?

I don't even rate Simeone as much as some but Wenger being unable to manage a wet fart these days wouldn't really have any bearing on what a new manager would have the chance to do if he went there.

What are you smoking?
    Re read the post

Why do you assume Simeone's Arsenal would be anything like Wengers?

He means why would Simeone leave Atleti for Arsenal.. Simeone will be off to Inter next imo.. he has always stated his desire to manage them and now they have money he will be there next I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

I never said Arsenal wanted the Inter job.

meftV0q.gif

What are you smoking?
    Re read the post

I read the post. I have been reading the english language for a long time now, I gotted pretty good at it in fact.

I read the post. I have been reading the english language for a long time now, I gotted pretty good at it in fact.

That's a low blow even for you tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Arsenal fans will probably be happy they are out of the CL so that they can fully concentrate on finishing top four and getting into the CL.

I think you would struggle to find any Arsenal fan like that tbh, even the fans that still believe in Wenger are probably questioning that now.
    Fighting for top 4 is what's wrong with the game these days, win or bust imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

We're gonna slap the ears off St. Etienne tomorrow night, you heard it here first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We should be down on our knees thanking a higher Power for not being a Arsenal fan.

The latest Man United/Movie cross-promotion. This time, for 'Logan'. Someone made a straight-up parallel between Rooney's career and Wolverine's life, and it's not the worst thing I've seen this week...

Considering the last one of these cross-promotions I saw was for Independence Day 2 and featured Rooney and some of the players as fighter pilots battling aliens in the sky, this is an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

If only Valencia is as good as Bellerin :pac:

• stankratz wrote: »
    The latest Man United/Movie cross-promotion. This time, for 'Logan'. Someone made a straight-up parallel between Rooney's career and Wolverine's life, and it's not the worst thing I've seen this week...

Considering the last one of these cross-promotions I saw was for Independence Day 2 and featured Rooney and some of the players as fighter pilots battling aliens in the sky, this is an improvement.

Is this all stemming Ed Woodward?
    That man really knows how to make cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Is this all stemming Ed Woodward?
    That man really knows how to make cash.

Ah it Gas at this stage, you could literally ring woodward with any notion to stick a united badge on your product and he'd bite.

Fair play, more money for players.

Ah it Gas at this stage, you could literally ring woodward with any notion to stick a united badge on your product and he'd bite.

But bite safely of course, thanks to the new Manchester United mouth guard, dermatologically tested and available in both red and white!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

But bite safely of course, thanks to the new Manchester United mouth guard, dermatologically tested and available in both red and white!

I'll take one, but only because it'll go well with my Manchester Utd hurley and helmet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

I'll take one, but only because it'll go well with my Manchester Utd hurley and helmet.

Sliotar contracts pending

• Advertisement

I wonder what's the most obscure manchester united branded product we can find........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Got tagged in this on facebook today, further proof of Neville's heroism, as if it was needed :)

Brilliant story

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

United shares rose 8.68% yesterday.

Ron Baron who is a shareholder, through his Barons partners fund yesterday filed a "statement of acquisition of beneficial ownership".
    Ron Baron now owns anywhere from 34% to 36% of shares in Manchester United.

Ron Baron is also a major shareholder in Tesla and along with United, these are the two companies he is very bullish about.

RobertKK wrote: »
    United shares rose 8.68% yesterday.

Ron Baron who is a shareholder, through his Barons partners fund yesterday filed a "statement of acquisition of beneficial ownership".
    Ron Baron now owns anywhere from 34% to 36% of shares in Manchester United.

Ron Baron is also a major shareholder in Tesla and along with United, these are the two companies he is very bullish about.

Any opinions on it yourself rob? I wouldn't know a great deal about what could or may not happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,370 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It would be 34% of a low sharehold though, wouldn't it. The Glazers only sold 10% of shares, with no voting rights. If Baron owned more than 30% of United in total he would have to initiate a full buy out or confirm no intention. He may be bullish about future earnings from United, but he maintains no control or decision making influence at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

It would be 34% of a low sharehold though, wouldn't it. The Glazers only sold 10% of shares, with no voting rights. If Baron owned more than 30% of United in total he would have to initiate a full buy out or confirm no intention. He may be bullish about future earnings from United, but he maintains no control or decision making influence at United.

Sounds about right, I think as a total Baron holds around 6 or 7% of the club. Still a small amount percentage wise but he's got $200 million or so invested in it. The way the shares are sold, its very surprising people still want to invest in the club. They've got no real say in the running of the club at all.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Any opinions on it yourself rob? I wouldn't know a great deal about what could or may not happen?

I have a small shareholding in United, I bought some back in 2015, sometimes my investment is up, other times down as the share price has moved within a fixed area of highs and lows. So I get paid a few dollars from United from their dividend.
    Ron Baron in 2015 said he believes United will double in value by 2020.
    Ron Baron's fund own 13,603,277 shares in United. The dividend is 0.09 cents a shares. So his fund gets a dividend of just under $1.25 million a year.

Maybe it should be 34% or to be exact 33.99% of total available shares in United, I don't know.
    That is what the filing said, he has 33.99% of the shares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Looks like Jose is fielding the same back 4 as against Watford and Shaw is not going to feature again.

Hopefully he'll get his chance at the weekend and he'll put in a decent performance.

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    Sounds about right, I think as a total Baron holds around 6 or 7% of the club. Still a small amount percentage wise but he's got $200 million or so invested in it. The way the shares are sold, its very surprising people still want to invest in the club. They've got no real say in the running of the club at all.

For most companies it is the banks and funds who own enough shares for voting rights to be obsolete, so when it comes to United I don't think most care. I mean it is clear the Glazers are investing in the club and not taking all the money for themselves, they now have a nice dividend every year which is less controversial than simply taking money from the club, and fans can't question the investment the club is making in players, and the proposed stadium expansion.
    It is very hard to complain even if one did have enough voting rights, the finances are heading in one direction and the fans can dream about about big name signings, and the signs on the pitch one could argue are the best since United peaked in 2008/2009.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement