Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Really need that second goal. Our away form in Europe is atrocious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Good work, sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Ha ha ha ha ha. Zlatan is a mad yoke. Jammiest goals he'll ever score.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

A third for us would be great to put the tie to bed before the second leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

There ye go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I feel like I'm repeating myself but once again, we looked a completely different team in the second half than we did in the first.

If SE had a decent forward or two we could have been losing at half time.

If we have ambitions of winning the tournament outright, we have to play for 90 minutes, there are much better teams left than SE.

Still, excellent win and surely the tie is over now.

Presumably the game has been moved to Wednesday due to the cup final.

Good chance to rest players next week and have the squad fully fit for the Saints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

That 3rd goal is huge, it means we can potentially give everyone a week off and play a weekend side at either Blackburn or St Etienne or even both. Hopefully relatively fresh legs for the Southampton game!

Edit: By everyone I mean the 6 or 7 lads who have played right through, Herrera, Pogba, Zlatan etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That was one ugly hattrick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Much improved there in the second half. Delighted to get that 3 goal cushion. Still wouldn't be resting everyone next week, cup final or not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Thought we were dreadful in the first half, OK up till Rashford came on and then we're very good.

Ugliest ha trick I have ever seen but don't care. That should be tie over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,648 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Don't really care how pretty or ugly the goals were. The team got the result which has been the problem too many times. 3-0. Tie over.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Thought we were dreadful in the first half, OK up till Rashford came on and then we're very good.

Ugliest ha trick I have ever seen but don't care. That should be tie over.

I remember a certain goonie character scoring one against us just as ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Didn't get to see the match but whens the last time someone scored a hat trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

sky88 wrote: »
    Didn't get to see the match but whens the last time someone scored a hat trick

Van Persie against villa?? Or rooney last year against brugge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

add a bit of pace.....vola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Not the prettiest but we won without ever getting out of third gear really. Happy enough with that.

Between the players rested today and in the coming games @ Blackburn and St.Etienne, we're going to be going into the league cup final pretty fresh, and with a bit of luck, injury free.

Ibra, DDG, Carrick, Valencia, Jones, Rojo should all not be seeing the pitch again until Wembley. Possibly Miki too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bit lucky with goal or 2 but happy to have only played at 50% and still win.

Should really rest players now next few games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Chalk and cheese game, first half awful and was probably down to the midfield, I'm not sure where fellaini was playing and I don't think he knew himself, rightly subbed at ht. 2nd half miles better, pogba is a joy to watch and martial on that can of form will be very hard stop. Rashford very good again when he came on

spiralism wrote: »
    Not the prettiest but we won without ever getting out of third gear really. Happy enough with that.

Between the players rested today and in the coming games @ Blackburn and St.Etienne, we're going to be going into the league cup final pretty fresh, and with a bit of luck, injury free.

Ibra, DDG, Carrick, Valencia, Jones, Rojo should all not be seeing the pitch again until Wembley. Possibly Miki too

No way does Carrick start the cup final. He's way down the pecking order rather than being rested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Rest De Gea, Mata Mkhitaryan, Carrick Rooney for next two games start Schweinsteiger and Rashford on Sunday, Ibra as a sub if needed, Pogba too play them both on Wednesday though. Full team Sunday week for the EFL final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Rest De Gea, Mata Mkhitaryan, Carrick Rooney for next two games start Schweinsteiger and Rashford on Sunday, Ibra as a sub if needed, Pogba too play them both on Wednesday though. Full team Sunday week for the EFL final.

Rooney rested? He needs games not rest, mkhitarayan will def play as well, missed nearly half the season not playing

I'd go full ressie team for the Blackburn game and if we get beat then no biggie. The FA cup is by a distance our least important competition now and we could do without the Southampton and possible Burnley games being rescheduled. If we win with a reserve team then fair enough.

Jayop wrote: »
    No way does Carrick start the cup final. He's way down the pecking order rather than being rested.

On what basis do you reckon that? He's been a very important player for us this year

On what basis do you reckon that? He's been a very important player for us this year

Really? Since the turn of the year united have played 11 games. Carrick has featured in 5. 3 in the league, 2 of which he was taken off at half time and tye other two in the cups, one of which was the loss to Hull.

Carrick is way down the pecking order and I base this on it being an absolute fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Rooney should be nowhere near the cup final starting 11 so should play the next two games

Robson99 wrote: »
    Rooney should be nowhere near the cup final starting 11 so should play the next two games

I agree with that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

That was an odd game and both exciting and worrying in equal measures.

Pogba was immense even though he should have put that chance away. Martial looked like he was enjoying himself. Bailly had the odd moment where he looked like a rock we can build our entire defence around.

At the same time I find it troubling that we really struggled for a good 15/20 minutes in the first half.

I don't think it should be dismissed as us being lazy, failing to get out of first gear or simply 'bottling' it. I also don't think it should be a stick to beat Fellaini with.

The fact is that Mourinho set his team up a certain way and it did not work. And this to me felt like the setup we would aim to use against the Chelseas and the Man Cities.

S.M.B. wrote: »

Pogba was immense even though he should have put that chance away. Martial looked like he was enjoying himself. Bailly had the odd moment where he looked like a rock we can build our entire defence around.

At the same time I find it troubling that we really struggled for a good 15/20 minutes in the first half.

I don't think it should be dismissed as us being lazy, failing to get out of first gear or simply 'bottling' it. I also don't think it should be a stick to beat Fellaini with.

The fact is that Mourinho set his team up a certain way and it did not work. And this to me felt like the setup we would aim to use against the Chelseas and the Man Cities.

Perhaps not, but it has been shown time and again what happens when he plays at the base of the midfield: Our midfield ends up struggling. He just simply does not have those qualities as a midfielder. That's not saying he doesn't have a specific role. But he shouldn't be starting much from here on in.

Bringing on Lingard on for him changed the game and we looked much sharper from then on

Perhaps not, but it has been shown time and again what happens when he plays at the base of the midfield: Our midfield ends up struggling

Bringing on Lingard on for him changed the game and we looked much sharper from then on

Yeah Lingards running really opened the pitch up for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Best performance from Pogba since his return. He really was excellent and I was critical of him earlier in the season.

Martial needs to be playing every week . He was excellent again and a run of form will do him good.

On a side note it's sad to see no sign of Rooney tonight. His days really seemed numbered for united. I thought he has actually had a decent season bar one or two games up till now

deadybai wrote: »
    Best performance from Pogba since his return. He really was excellent and I was critical of him earlier in the season.

Martial needs to be playing every week . He was excellent again and a run of form will do him good.

On a side note it's sad to see no sign of Rooney tonight. His days really seemed numbered for united. I thought he has actually had a decent season bar one or two games up till now

I agree he's not been bad but there's no use in overstating what have largely been bit part contributions: the writing has been on the wall for some time now. Time waits for no man and there's no room for sentimentality at the highest level of football. He's had a great career for the club, won everything and will leave our top goalscorer whatever happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

S.M.B. wrote: »

Jose was pretty pissed off with the teams first half performance. He said they were too relaxed and having fun in the dressing room rather than concentrating on the game.Also there wasn't enough intensity in the warm up according to his coaches.

By the by, I read that Rashford just made his 50th appearance tonight in less than a year after making his debut.

But the tabs would have you believe he's pissed of with not getting a chance. Like, who writes this garbage?

• That was a great run from Rashford for the second goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Perhaps not, but it has been shown time and again what happens when he plays at the base of the midfield: Our midfield ends up struggling. He just simply does not have those qualities as a midfielder. That's not saying he doesn't have a specific role. But he shouldn't be starting much from here on in.

He didn't play at the base though, Mourinho had him all over the shop.

He has performed well in games where he's actually had a defined role in front of the defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    That was a great run from Rashford for the second goal

great positioning from Zlatan too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

zerks wrote: »
    Jose was pretty pissed off with the teams first half performance. He said they were too relaxed and having fun in the dressing room rather than concentrating on the game.Also there wasn't enough intensity in the warm up according to his coaches.
    Fair enough. Maybe there was a level of complacency that had an effect on the performance.

However, It also felt like the midfield trip weren't really aware of their roles.

• Jonesy just text me
    Said he's ready for the Blackburn game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

who would be everyones first choice centre back pairing.

im not really sure on it. bailiy for sure is 1st choice for me then i think its a hard choice as rojo and jones were great together and smalling hasnt really done anything wrong in a while.

dont think jones and bailiy would be a good fit together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

sky88 wrote: »
    who would be everyones first choice centre back pairing.

im not really sure on it. bailiy for sure is 1st choice for me then i think its a hard choice as rojo and jones were great together and smalling hasnt really done anything wrong in a while.

dont think jones and bailiy would be a good fit together.

Jones isn't reliable to be fit enough so I'd go Bailly and Rojo. Can both do everything and one right and one left footed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Had a quick look at the match thread, jaysus it's amazing how much hassle one person can cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Had a quick look at the match thread, jaysus it's amazing how much hassle one person can cause.

Rip the piss out of his nonsense and move on. It's not that hard.
    People arguing with him are worse.

Sorry about that I won't do the match thread anymore :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

And plays the 'I'm only here to chat' card all the time. He is much more subtle than the obvious ones however its still an agenda (hate that word btw).

I avoid the match threads for the most part, matches become much more enjoyable tbh

Meh when we win I'll just take the piss out of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

jayo26 wrote: »
    Sorry about that I won't do the match thread anymore :)

Tbf we would probably still be waiting on one if you didn't :D

Jayop wrote: »
    Really? Since the turn of the year united have played 11 games. Carrick has featured in 5. 3 in the league, 2 of which he was taken off at half time and tye other two in the cups, one of which was the loss to Hull.

Carrick is way down the pecking order and I base this on it being an absolute fact.

Notably, carrick getting less playing time coincided with a downturn in form. When we were playing him a lot over christmas(close to every game) and winning every match, people were falling all over the place talking about his importance.

We need him tbh.

astradave wrote: »
    Tbf we would probably still be waiting on one if you didn't :D

Zerks would of put one up this morning :):)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement