Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/825015331030704128

Not directly United related but didn't know where to post it and wasn't arsed making a thread. So given that almost everyone figured Ferdinand was 100% definitely doping for missing his test all those years ago, does this mean that all of the City team have been doping? I'm sure the FA won't give the club with bottomless pockets a weak, slap on the wrist fine out of fear of a legal battle or anything... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

astradave wrote: »
    I seriously hope TheDoc's missus doesn't read boards:D

haha off doing a Martial :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

sky88 wrote: »
    He played against stoke didnt he??

Jeez my memory is failing me big time. Didn't catch the Stoke game so maybe that's why. I'd prefer to see him in the team more often than Darmian and even Smalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

TheDoc wrote:
    she's off doing Martial
    Poor Doc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

SteM wrote: »
    Yeah, panic stations at the back sometimes last night. Can't understand the reasoning for moving Rojo to LB, where he's never looked comfortable to me, and breaking up a half-decent CB back partnership with Jones. Smalling treats the ball like a hot potato. Would have preferred to see Shaw at LB last night, continue with Rojo and Jones at CB. Smalling can go to Arsenal for all I care, he's not a player I want to see at United anymore.

I was a fan of Smalling, but now think he is the biggest liability at CB.
    The amount of holding he does, I'm surprised he doesn't give away a couple of penalties every game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Kind of surprised we've not done any buying this window; feel there's one or two areas we do need bulking up. Guess it's a case of waiting for the right player, but kind of wanted a new toy to play with :P

• Lord TSC wrote: »
    Kind of surprised we've not done any buying this window; feel there's one or two areas we do need bulking up. Guess it's a case of waiting for the right player, but kind of wanted a new toy to play with :P

I'm a wee bit concerned tbh
    Especially as the season progresses and we are still in all competitions. I fear injuries.
    But ultimately the best players should only be purchased so...summer for Greizmann :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Billy86 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SkySportsNewsHQ/status/825015331030704128

Not directly United related but didn't know where to post it and wasn't arsed making a thread. So given that almost everyone figured Ferdinand was 100% definitely doping for missing his test all those years ago, does this mean that all of the City team have been doping? I'm sure the FA won't give the club with bottomless pockets a weak, slap on the wrist fine out of fear of a legal battle or anything... :pac:

1hloh3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Erm I didn't think anyone thought Rio was doping. Just that he was a dope for missing a test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Wenger gets a four game ban :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Wouldn't think anything will happen at all that them barca have been found guilty of the same offence and recieved just a fine I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Wenger gets a four game ban

So Di canio got 11 for shoving an official
    Cantona nine months for kicking a fan
    Wenger gets 4

The fa everyone.....
    #nologic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jayop wrote: »
    Erm I didn't think anyone thought Rio was doping. Just that he was a dope for missing a test.

I'm sure plenty did.
    I still don't know if it was all innocent.

brinty wrote: »
    So Di canio got 11 for shoving an official
    Cantona nine months for kicking a fan
    Wenger gets 4

The fa everyone.....
    #nologic

It's nowhere near the same as either of those though, especially the Cantona incident.

Four games seems fair enough at first glance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

paulbok wrote: »
    I was a fan of Smalling, but now think he is the biggest liability at CB.
    The amount of holding he does, I'm surprised he doesn't give away a couple of penalties every game.

You wouldn't be a fan of Godin, Ramos or Thiago silva so.....

Just on Smalling, I still think he's the best CB currently at the club. He's certainly better than both Rojo and Jones imo and while Bailly has been hugely impressive since he arrived, it's really too early to judge him properly.

If I was told I had to get rid of our CBs, first out the door would be Rojo, the. Jones, then Smalling, then Bailly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    You wouldn't be a fan of Godin, Ramos or Thiago silva so.....

They play in different leagues with a different standard of Ref.

The Refs in the PL have been told to clamp down on that. If they played in the PL they would be huge liabilities to their teams if they didn't stamp it out of their games

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I think Smalling looked a lot better in Van Gaal's very defensive system compared to the system Jose plays, and Rojo is playing much better in Jose's system.
    Smalling is fine for back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I think Smalling is the same as every player ever in that he would look a lot better if he got a run of games.

• Advertisement

Can't be hard on smalling for the peno what he did happens in every game on numerous occasions and the ref dont even blink twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Wasn't it rojo ref pointed too after given the pen? No fault with anyone except the ref, being a fool and will look like one when the same thing happens in every game he refs and doesn't follow up with given pens.

astradave wrote: »
    They play in different leagues with a different standard of Ref.

The Refs in the PL have been told to clamp down on that. If they played in the PL they would be huge liabilities to their teams if they didn't stamp it out of their games

Still the same rules in all the leagues. Smalling still an excellent defender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The latest "according to The Sun" story is Rooney will leave in the Summer and is mulling over the offers from China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Sky sports news with a no news update on Martial.

"Jose issues warning to Martial after he decided so spent the weekend in Paris after being dropped"

According to Sky Sources: Martial is very happy at the club but was disappointed by recent criticism from Jose. Jose unsure over Martials long term future.

Another no news story, the usual quiet week bollocks. Jose discussed him at length yesterday, sky sports is going to the gutter big time in the last two years.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10744522/anthony-martials-man-utd-future-in-doubt-with-jose-mourinho-unhappy-with-forward-sky-sources

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Ive no problem with Martial being criticised by Jose. Its obvious he is capable of way more than he is giving. Im glad Jose seems to want to make a public show of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

GSPfan wrote: »
    Ive no problem with Martial being criticised by Jose. Its obvious he is capable of way more than he is giving. Im glad Jose seems to want to make a public show of it.

Players these days are a different breed. When their low and public chit chat from managers seems to send them and agents over the edge.

Total trust in Jose though. The lad needs to step up and be counted if he wants to continue to wear our red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Bit concerned after that. Thankfully we've a couple of 'straightforward ' home games before we go to Leicester. Will the city game still be on the 26th Feb?

Yikes just seen in the top 4 thread that the city game could be moved to midweek between the Arsenal  and Spurs away games, that would be pretty much be a season defining week.
    Not if we get to the Europa League semis, which would fall around the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Think we'll sign anyone before tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

votecounts wrote: »
    Think we'll sign anyone before tuesday?

Doesn't look likely

Nah we wont sign anyone. The nice thing about Jose's reign for me has been the lack of transfer rumours. He seems to brief the journalists early as to who he wants and it makes them less prone to guessing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Thought we buy 1 player in this window.

Not disappointed either. They can wait till Summer

I'm pinning my hopes on an EFL cup win and a top 4 finish for this year. I don't think we have enough to win the Europa League. The FA Cup is possible if the draw works in our favour.
    If we can finish top 4 this year I can accept it based on where we are now. Then we spend big in the Summer and there is no excuse to not be pushing for the league title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

GSPfan wrote: »
    I'm pinning my hopes on an EFL cup win and a top 4 finish for this year. I don't think we have enough to win the Europa League. The FA Cup is possible if the draw works in our favour.
    If we can finish top 4 this year I can accept it based on where we are now. Then we spend big in the Summer and there is no excuse to not be pushing for the league title.
    I dunno, its definitely winnable. I'd be disappointed to get eliminated by most of the sides there. Zenit, Bilbao, Shaktar and Lyon are tricky, as are the Italian sides and Spurs if they're arsed (i have my doubts there ). Our squad's deep enough that we should be making a real push to win that competition honestly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Jose wont sign anyone this transfer window. I reckon he will off load Rooney and make a big effort to get Greizmann in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I'd love to win the Europa League. A final with some real meaning for it and one United has never won.

That and top 4 would have me delighted with José first year. The EFL would be a nice little addition to that.

billyhead wrote: »
    Jose wont sign anyone this transfer window. I reckon he will off load Rooney and make a big effort to get Greizmann in the summer.

Think you'll see a clearout of a few people this summer. Rooney, Martial, Shaw, Schweinsteiger, and Darmian at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Think you'll see a clearout of a few people this summer. Rooney, Martial, Shaw, Schweinsteiger, and Darmian at least.

I'm still hoping that Shaw is just getting the Mkhitaryan treatment.

Still think Shaw and Martial are ok. They are young but Highley talented it be intresting
    to see what kind of response they give tomorrow of you see two hungry young players all is ok..

If he sells shaw and martial I will be very disappointed, 2 of the best young young players in Europe

Selling Shaw is a horrible notion. He will be a great player as he matures and id be gutted to see that happen somewhere else. I think his leg break and his lack of experience is something he can get over.

Martial is another kettle of fish. Id say mega money from PSG could see him leave. I just don't think his heart is at United.

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    If he sells shaw and martial I will be very disappointed, 2 of the best young young players in Europe

I put them on the list because there's obviously some problems there. I'm starting to believe there's some conflict of attitudes between Jose and the duo, or he doesn't trust them or whatever. They might be two of the best young players in Europe, but thats not worth much if the manager doesn't trust them for whatever reason....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

LB is a problem position so it's not like Shaw has the obstacle of unseating another player. If he's not playing it's because he's not doing what the manager wants of him. It could be similar to the Mikhitaryan situation, Shaw just needs to work harder. I hope he works his way back into the team but I wouldn't be too upset if he went, he hasn't shown a whole lot since he signed even before the injury.

I'd be disappointed if Martial doesn't fulfil his potential at Utd, I thought he was exceptional in his first season but so was Januzaj and look how that worked out.

The bottom line for me is what's best for the team and the manager is the best person to judge that. In the end he's the one who will be blamed if the team doesn't meet expectations.

Surprised no one has mentioned it but Goss is leaving for QPR for 500k rising to 800k. I always thought he looked like a classy little midfielder I haven't seen anything mentioned about sell on or by back but I do hope we have an option at least.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Surprised no one has mentioned it but Goss is leaving for QPR for 500k rising to 800k. I always thought he looked like a classy little midfielder I haven't seen anything mentioned about sell on or by back but I do hope we have an option at least.

Simon Stone of BBC has been covering it for a few days and I think he has said there is a buy back clause in the deal.

Simon Stone of BBC has been covering it for a few days and I think he has said there is a buy back clause in the deal.

Hopefully he has been a bright talent in the youths for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I'd love to win the Europa League. A final with some real meaning for it and one United has never won.

That and top 4 would have me delighted with José first year. The EFL would be a nice little addition to that.

Not winning the Europa League last season wasn't so bad because I really wanted LVG gone and I think it would have saved him.

But the years we went out of the UEFA Cup to Torpedo Moscow and Rotor Volgograd were disappointing and a sign that Utd's dominance in the PL didn't necessarily translate to success in Europe.

If Jose can win it this year it would put down a huge marker for what the team can achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Bar the 2 in bold I would have no problem seeing those players leave.
    I wouldnt be surprised to see Young,Romero and a CB leave as well.

I dont mind most of those leaving as long as there as quality replacements bought.
    imo United need 2 midfielders,a RB,a CB and a winger.CM being the priory .

A replacement is needed for Zlatan but dont think it will happen this summer.

Korat wrote: »
    Not winning the Europa League last season wasn't so bad because I really wanted LVG gone and I think it would have saved him.

But the years we went out of the UEFA Cup to Torpedo Moscow and Rotor Volgograd were disappointing and a sign that Utd's dominance in the PL didn't necessarily translate to success in Europe.

If Jose can win it this year it would put down a huge marker for what the team can achieve.

100 percent agree. I know the number of games are going to come back and bite us but I'm glad he has treated all 4 comps as equal importantance apart from maybe one or two games.

It's all about the winning mentality get it in the players minds and you'll 50 percent there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Shaw and Martial playing down the left side tomorrow could be fun. Both players with something to prove and they seem to compliment each other on that side. Most of the season whoever is playing on the left has been isolated as whichever makeshift left back is in place (Blind, Rojo, Darmian) doesn't offer much support and lack pace. Shaw on the overlap will free up some more space for Martial too. Looking forward to this game tomorrow.

Id like to see Mkhitaryan in at 10 behind Rooney or Rashford, give Zlatan a day off aswell. I wonder if Tuanzabe will get a game tomorrow, Jose has been talking positively about him recently

• Advertisement

Liverpool are really struggling. 2-0 to Wolves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement