Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The reason Rooney was so good for us was because he was the exact opposite of a greedy striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jayo26 wrote: »
    But that's not his game he was never going to be a selfish striker and pretty Much anytime he was played as an out and out striker it didn't work out for the team. He was a deep lying forward and attacked from deep but also got on the end of stuff when the ball was played into the box.

What did rooney do in his first couple of years that made you think this lad is going to be the best on the world? And what do you think he should of achieved?

Rooneys best seasons for United, performance wise, came when he was played consistently up front as the main striker. In those few years after Ronaldo and before Van Persie he was the striker and he twice hit 34 goals in the season, how can you say that it wasn't his game? When he was played there he scored the goals, I didn't think there was even any doubt about it.

What do I think he should have achieved? I think he should have had a lot more 34 goal seasons and smashed those records years ago. I think he should have been more influential in certain seasons and he shouldn't have stumbled so badly as he neared his thirties.

And you will say, "but look at what he achieved!". I know what he achieved, and I think he could have achieved more. Thats what potential is, the possibility of more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Just home. Thrilled with the win. Saw the goal before I went out.

What happened with Bailly? Two yellows in 4 minutes? Frustrating he got sent off when we were basically in the clear...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Just home. Thrilled with the win. Saw the goal before I went out.

What happened with Bailly? Two yellows in 4 minutes? Frustrating he got sent off when we were basically in the clear...

First one was typical Bailly challenge or at least one he is prone to. Dived in to win the ball out near the touchline, missed it and cleaned the player out of it. Definite yellow.

Second one wasn't even a foul.

First yellow saw him missing the next game anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Team predictions and result for Sunday? I'd love an easy win but we never do it the easy way!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Team predictions and result for Sunday? I'd love an easy win but we never do it the easy way!

2-0 United
    De Gea
    Valencia - Bailly - Smalling - Blind
    Herrera - Pogba
    Lingard - Mata - Martial
    Ibrahimovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

zerks wrote: »

The Chinese will pay the best money so hopefully a deal can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wonder how much we'd get for him? £30 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

J. Marston wrote: »

I'd say in that region, maybe even £20-25. The Chinese are cracked, but Rooney is 32 this year so he's not gonna offer any re-sale value. The crazy fees tend to be younger players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

RobertKK wrote: »
    The Chinese will pay the best money so hopefully a deal can be done.
    Apparently wanted by the prime ministers club so,money will be available
    J. Marston wrote: »
    £30 million at a minimum based on above
    Lukker- wrote: »
    I'd say in that region, maybe even £20-25. The Chinese are cracked, but Rooney is 32 this year so he's not gonna offer any re-sale value. The crazy fees tend to be younger players.
    They won't care about resale. Rooney however poor he's been has huge commercial appeal and having a global star like him in China brings more spotlight on the game there. More spotlight equals more revenue from TV increased sponsorship and a population of on billions plus Chinese people's wanting Rayne Woooney jersies.

This deal will happen one way or another. In the next few days or in the summer. And when Jose gets griezmann in the summer and we're buying the league people will forget the fact we've sold Morgan, Memphis and Wayne to finance the deal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

brinty wrote: »
    Apparently wanted by the prime ministers club so,money will be available

£30 million at a minimum based on above

They won't care about resale. Rooney however poor he's been has huge commercial appeal and having a global star like him in China brings more spotlight on the game there. More spotlight equals more revenue from TV increased sponsorship and a population of on billions plus Chinese people's wanting Rayne Woooney jersies.

This deal will happen one way or another. In the next few days or in the summer. And when Jose gets griezmann in the summer and we're buying the league people will forget the fact we've sold Morgan, Memphis and Wayne to finance the deal...

They are still business men at the end of the day. If Rooney went for over £30m that'd put him in the top 5 most expensive players to move there. The other top 5 are considerably younger/better.

Net spend is the only thing I'd look at, and United and City's is €500m over the last 5 seasons. I think people are content with ye buying "success". I'm just happy Mourinho finally found a club that enables him to reach his potential!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I love Rooney but if we get 25+ million I bit your hand off for it.

So should Ed

• How much was paid for Tevez?
    I must be the minority but I would want more than 25 for Rooney, especially considering the money that can be spunked in China.
    Lets not forget his marketing power as well as his legacy, and I'm sure technically he would boss that league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

They are still business men at the end of the day. If Rooney went for over £30m that'd put him in the top 5 most expensive players to move there. The other top 5 are considerably younger/better.
    Rooney is a much bigger name/brand than anyone else who has moved over there.
    Players who have gone over recently maybe younger/better but none have the appeal of Rooney,he would be the biggest names by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Net spend is the only thing I'd look at, and United and City's is €500m over the last 5 seasons. I think people are content with ye buying "success". I'm just happy Mourinho finally found a club that enables him to reach his potential!

Why look at net spend. Is that because Chelsea sold a few players for high fees the last couple of years ala 50m for Oscar. Why not just look at what the clubs spent and Chelsea will be up there too..

If the money is there to spend, which mind you is generated by the club and not a sugar daddy owner, and the club want to buy the best players available they have to pay said money.. I know I'd rather spend 80m on Griezmann or 60m on Lukaku than the 30m that crystal Palace spent on Benteke.. yeah let's all aspire to be like Crystal Palace!

And the last part.. coming from a Chelsea fan.. stinks of sour grapes.

M!Ck^ wrote: »

I don't think he did much damage to it but I still think a 3 day turnaround for any sort of hamstring injury is asking too much. Would actually rather see him rested and not risked the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I really don't think it's a case of unfulfilled potential he was never going to be a ronaldo or messi it was just the fans and press building him Up. He never was going to be a consistent plus 30 goals a season striker his game was never suited to it he always liked dropping deeper.

Rooney was miles ahead of Ronaldo when both were 18.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I'd guess we'd get 40/50 for Rooney but don't see it happening in the next few days.

The Times reporting that the club might have to pay off the remainder of Rooney's contract if he leaves.That would knock the gloss off any decent transfer fee we might get from China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The Times reporting that the club might have to pay off the remainder of Rooney's contract if he leaves.That would knock the gloss off any decent transfer fee we might get from China.

Surely that couldn't happen.

AFAIK we would only be obliged to buy him out if we wanted rid of him and were releasing him on a free, if a club is paying a transfer fee and he agrees to move then it would be the same as any regular transfer, wouldn't it?

Rod Munch wrote: »

AFAIK we would only be obliged to buy him out if we wanted rid of him and were releasing him on a free, if a club is paying a transfer fee and he agrees to move then it would be the same as any regular transfer, wouldn't it?

If he's pushing this (or his agent is) he'd lose a lot of respect.Coupled with his negotiating tactics before it smacks of a greedy bollix once more holding the club to ransom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

zerks wrote:
    If he's pushing this (or his agent is) he'd lose a lot of respect.Coupled with his negotiating tactics before it smacks of a greedy bollix once more holding the club to ransom.

+1

I'm sorry to say but all respect for him was gone a long time ago

Fool me once shame on you fool me twice well then I'm a funking idiot...

And that's what he did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

beno619 wrote: »
    Rooney was miles ahead of Ronaldo when both were 18.

I wouldn't say that really. Physically yes, technically Ronaldo was fantastic just needed his body to catch up.

• Advertisement

Rod Munch wrote: »

This would be my understanding of it.. the only other way I could see, is if it was a mutual decision and the club is saying to Rooney that they want him to move and we will pay up some of his contract if he agrees to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The club are not forcing him out and that's why jose has said several times now he does not want him to go and told the press to ask him himself.

The club can not be liable to pay up a transfer of a player that decides to move himself its pure paper talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If[/] this is what he is doing, ie looking for a double payoff between the club and a new team then I wouldn't sell him, let him ride out the remainder of his deal and play him only when we have no other choice.

Its all only speculation though and tbh, even in the current climate, I'd be very surprised if he would blacken himself with the club with carry on like that. He can leave as a legend rather than just go down as another greedy pro.

Waiving contracts is quite common in US sports. A smaller settlement rather than having the commitment of another 10m odd a season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

The Times is report says "United might choose to pay him the remainder of his wages - 15.6m - if he departs although there would be no obligation for them to do so"

They also report that they expect him to stay at United until June.

SteM wrote: »
    The Times is report says "United might choose to pay him the remainder of his wages - 15.6m - if he departs although there would be no obligation for them to do so"

They also report that they expect him to stay at United until June.

I don't think the club would choose to pay up the remains of his wages,everyone knows what his agent is like when it comes to squeezing money out of a situation.
    "We see you are off to earn a million a week Wayne,here's 16.5 million to help you along", I doubt that United would just hand that sum over to anybody.

Liam O wrote: »
    Waiving contracts is quite common in US sports. A smaller settlement rather than having the commitment of another 10m odd a season.

That would make sense for say a player that was in last year of his contract and the club wanted to sell like a Darren fletcher type player but for a player like rooney even tho he aint playing he is still worth a fortune to the club with image rights and jersey sales he is basically worth having at the club alone for his face.

That would make sense for say a player that was in last year of his contract and the club wanted to sell like a Darren fletcher type player but for a player like rooney even tho he aint playing he is still worth a fortune to the club with image rights and jersey sales he is basically worth having at the club alone for his face.

I wouldn't be so sure. Last year it was Schweinsteiger and Mata, this season Zlatan and Pogba front and centre. His image rights and marketing potential would have taken a dip based on that I'd say. No longer the main man at the biggest club, just another well known name at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Rob Dawson @RobDawsonMEN 15h15 hours ago

United have lost one of last 25 games. Scored 15 in their last seven. Conceded once in last 10 and half hours of football. They're flying.

Hopefully keep this form going for the rest of the season!

I wouldn't be so sure. Last year it was Schweinsteiger and Mata, this season Zlatan and Pogba front and centre. His image rights and marketing potential would have taken a dip based on that I'd say. No longer the main man at the biggest club, just another well known name at this stage.

Not that much of a dip I think he is still one of the top selling jerseys and he is still the leading face on most Manchester United adverts. All that's happening is a paper are writing a guess work story that people are jumping on.

It makes no sense that the club would pay off a contract of a player they don't want to leave and that still earns them money. It's only a few weeks ago he scored and important goal that rescued a game for us in the final minutes he is still of value to the club.

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Rob Dawson @RobDawsonMEN 15h15 hours ago

United have lost one of last 25 games. Scored 15 in their last seven. Conceded once in last 10 and half hours of football. They're flying.

Hopefully keep this form going for the rest of the season!

Calling Jayo26 and Astradave. :)

Calling Jayo26 and Astradave. :)

See nothing wrong here he posted it in a form that everyone can read instead of a twitter link :)

Goodman Dellboy ;)

See nothing wrong here he posted it in a form that everyone can read instead of a twitter link :)

Goodman Dellboy ;)

Still behind me.....by a few posts.;) :)

Still behind me.....by a few posts.;) :)

Dont be so pedantic ;)

• Advertisement

Dont be so pedantic ;)

Life's little victories.:)

Delboy obviously has you on ignore so couldn't see your post :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

I don't think the club would choose to pay up the remains of his wages,everyone knows what his agent is like when it comes to squeezing money out of a situation.
    "We see you are off to earn a million a week Wayne,here's 16.5 million to help you along", I doubt that United would just hand that sum over to anybody.

I don't think so either. You were the one that said the Times reports United might have to pay off the remainder of his contract, I was just pointing out that that isn't what the Times reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I wouldn't say that really. Physically yes, technically Ronaldo was fantastic just needed his body to catch up.

Rooney was miles ahead in every metric. Most importantly end product.

Ronaldo was incredibly frustrating until the age of 22/23 and that breakout season.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

It makes no sense that the club would pay off a contract of a player they don't want to leave and that still earns them money.

United don't want Rooney to leave? Are you for real? You haven't noticed Mourinho's brilliantly skillful sidelining of Rooney this season? You really can't read between the lines of what he says in his press conferences?

Mourinho knows exactly what he's doing and made it clear at is first press conference when he said that Rooney wasn't going to be indulged in midfield. From that moment it was obvious that he believed that Rooney was finished.

Of course there's the money men and the financial aspect at United to consider - maybe be does still sell plenty of shirts but Mourinho's in charge now, and while football may come second to money at United, it's not such a distant second with him at the head of the football end.

Rooney had the world at his feet in his teens and had everything to ensure he'd be in the bracket with the world's very best but it didn't happen.

So how did he lose touch with Ronaldo and Messi? How did he become such a fat blubbering mess with no touch that breaks into a sweat taking off his bib?

This should help...

Wayne-Rooney-Football365.jpg

Ronaldo was incredibly frustrating until the age of 22/23 and that breakout season.

It's a pity Rooney doesn't match up to Ronaldo these days.

On the topic of progress under José, he has almost double the win percentage of LVG,64% compared to 33%.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

zerks wrote:
    On the topic of progress under José, he has almost double the win percentage of LVG,64% compared to 33%.

Is that in the same time period or over his 2 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

It's a pity Rooney doesn't match up to Ronaldo these days.

Ronaldos overall play has been suffereing this season not as drastic as rooney but he has gone backwards a little but thats what age does and hes still the best goalscorer in the world so that makes up for it.

for me rooney was never in that top bracket of players but i dont think there are many that were. to me the difference betwwen rooney and messi/ronaldo was that drive to be the best player in the world. i dont think rooney ever had that.

of course he was also cursed with being english and that any player showing remote talent will be called next big thing in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Rooney was a striker, Ronaldo was a winger, stupid to compare both

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement