Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

zerks wrote: »
    On the topic of progress under José, he has almost double the win percentage of LVG,64% compared to 33%.

Yeah okay. And Rooney has twice as many goals as Bobby Charlton.

• bangkok wrote: »
    Rooney was a striker, Ronaldo was a winger, stupid to compare both

What does this have to do with end product?
    It's certainly not stupid to compare both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Mick did you visit asia this year??

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/834727090264104960

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What does this have to do with end product?
    It's certainly not stupid to compare both.

because rooney was a goalscorer, ronaldo was not so of course the stats are going to favour rooney.

• bangkok wrote: »
    because rooney was a goalscorer, ronaldo was not so of course the stats are going to favour rooney.

End product comes in many forms if you are breaking it down like that
    So you say Rooney should primarily score goals as a striker yes?
    For Ronaldo it was supply from the wings and assists
    So yea Rooneys end product was far greater than Ronaldos at that age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

bangkok wrote: »
    Rooney was a striker, Ronaldo was a winger, stupid to compare both

Ronaldo's finishing, final pass & crossing was infuriating.

I love the guy by the way but my memory is still intact.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    End product comes in many forms if you are breaking it down like that
    So you say Rooney should primarily score goals as a striker yes?
    For Ronaldo it was supply from the wings and assists
    So yea Rooneys end product was far greater than Ronaldos at that age

fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

United don't want Rooney to leave? Are you for real? You haven't noticed Mourinho's brilliantly skillful sidelining of Rooney this season? You really can't read between the lines of what he says in his press conferences?

Mourinho knows exactly what he's doing and made it clear at is first press conference when he said that Rooney wasn't going to be indulged in midfield. From that moment it was obvious that he believed that Rooney was finished.

Of course there's the money men and the financial aspect at United to consider - maybe be does still sell plenty of shirts but Mourinho's in charge now, and while football may come second to money at United, it's not such a distant second with him at the head of the football end.

Rooney had the world at his feet in his teens and had everything to ensure he'd be in the bracket with the world's very best but it didn't happen.

So how did he lose touch with Ronaldo and Messi? How did he become such a fat blubbering mess with no touch that breaks into a sweat taking off his bib?

This should help...

Wayne-Rooney-Football365.jpg

I can read everything and I meant that publicly they do not want him to leave they are not forcing him out the door and jose is not saying he wants rooney to go for the simple fact that they don't want to pay him off and while he is with united and been payed by united he is earning money for the club.

The conversation was about the club paying him off and they don't need to pay him off because they are not forcing him out the door by putting him on transfer list or telling him to find a new club.

That picture of Rooney is from this year he had already list his pace and conditioning before then he has lost it 3 year ago he is far from the player he was in his prime.

Rooney is still a class player, would be a shame to see him go to China, just because he is not good enough for a starting place at Man Utd doesnt make him a bad player. Easily 2-4 years left in him. Would love to see him go somewhere like AC Milan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The word "class" seems to have a new meaning .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

It's amazing how some young players when they break though to the first team at a big club fall off a cliff in terms of performance at a relatively young age. Fowler, Owen, Rooney, Gerrard was decreasing rapidly at around 33. Makes the longetivity of Scholes, Giggs, Lampard all the more admirable. All at top clubs but we're able to maintain consistency into their late 30s. Giggs was probably the stand out player in the premiership era. Was a key player in so many of Fergies squads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

It's amazing how some young players when they break though to the first team at a big club fall off a cliff in terms of performance at a relatively young age. Fowler, Owen, Rooney, Gerrard was decreasing rapidly at around 33. Makes the longetivity of Scholes, Giggs, Lampard all the more admirable. All at top clubs but we're able to maintain consistency into their late 30s. Giggs was probably the stand out player in the premiership era. Was a key player in so many of Fergies squads

Rooney has been a pro since 16, thats a 16 year career, with a lot of games, hardly a shock its taking its toll

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

..and Zlatan aging like a very good red wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Rooney has been a pro since 16, thats a 16 year career, with a lot of games, hardly a shock its taking its toll

Not running down his career at all. Just form wise he's no where near his form of 5 years ago. Not the only one either. There's plenty of examples of players like that.

The talk of a young Rooney and Ronaldo reminds me of some old extended match highlights I watched last week. It was Everton v United (3-4) at Goodison from the 2003/04 season featuring some serious blasts from the past and characters on the field.

Rooney for Everton, Ronaldo for United, just kids they were (both came on as effective subs). Keane and Scholes in the middle, RVN knocking in his 100th and 101st goals for United, Thomas Gravesen assisting a cracking Zinedine Kilbane header.

It's not HD, but a highly recommended 25 minutes viewing if you have the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Correct me if I'm wrong but i think i remember, early in Rooneys career, him saying Sausage Beans and Chips was his favourite meal. He also smokes and drinks regularly by all accounts.

Unfortunately if your diet revolves around sausage beans and chips and you drink and smoke then its not surprising he has aged a bit quicker than other professionals.

There is zero impact on our squad by selling him now or later in my opinion. He doesn't have a role apart from covering us during an injury crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Time to reopen the Wayne F**king Rooney thread so :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

jayo26 wrote: »
    I can read everything and I meant that publicly they do not want him to leave they are not forcing him out the door and jose is not saying he wants rooney to go for the simple fact that they don't want to pay him off and while he is with united and been payed by united he is earning money for the club.

The conversation was about the club paying him off and they don't need to pay him off because they are not forcing him out the door by putting him on transfer list or telling him to find a new club.

That picture of Rooney is from this year he had already list his pace and conditioning before then he has lost it 3 year ago he is far from the player he was in his prime.
    OK. As long as we're clear that United DO want him to leave and would prefer that he went now to China if at all possible because they'll pick up circa €30 million that they wont get if he goes to the US or another English club. Two thirds of the way through Rooney's final season at the club - I wouldn't imagine they're selling all that many shirts with his name on at this point in any case - the early season rush is long past.

i'm agreeing with you that he's far from the player he was - but that's largely his own fault. He should have been in his prime at age 28/29 but that age-range actually saw him decline sharply and he's completely fallen off the performance cliff now. The suggestion elsewhere on here that he's good enough for AC Milan or similar is laughable. He'll be found out in China nevermind Italy. He's f**ked.

Is he a United legend? Probably - he's won a European Cup and finished the club's top goalscorer but even at that he hasn't fulfilled his potential - he could have been won of the true greats and he p**sed it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

GSPfan wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but i think i remember, early in Rooneys career, him saying Sausage Beans and Chips was his favourite meal. He also smokes and drinks regularly by all accounts.

Unfortunately if your diet revolves around sausage beans and chips and you drink and smoke then its not surprising he has aged a bit quicker than other professionals.

There is zero impact on our squad by selling him now or later in my opinion. He doesn't have a role apart from covering us during an injury crisis.

A bit?

I think you mean 'a lot'! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

OK. As long as we're clear that United DO want him to leave and would prefer that he went now to China if at all possible because they'll pick up circa €30 million that they wont get if he goes to the US or another English club. Two thirds of the way through Rooney's final season at the club - I wouldn't imagine they're selling all that many shirts with his name on at this point in any case - the early season rush is long past.

i'm agreeing with you that he's far from the player he was - but that's largely his own fault. He should have been in his prime at age 28/29 but that age-range actually saw him decline sharply and he's completely fallen off the performance cliff now. The suggestion elsewhere on here that he's good enough for AC Milan or similar is laughable. He'll be found out in China nevermind Italy. He's f**ked.

Is he a United legend? Probably - he's won a European Cup and finished the club's top goalscorer but even at that he hasn't fulfilled his potential - he could have been won of the true greats and he p**sed it away.

Couldn't disagree any more. He no more pissed anything away. He'll be found out in China. Absolute LOL.

• Advertisement

wtf.

he never said that, he was asked what his favourite meal was and that was his answer. doesnt mean he eats it everyday. you dont play at the top level for Manchester United and England by having a crap diet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Who eats their favorite meal every day? What a load of crap has been posted the last few pages,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Teenager from council estate in Liverpool likes sausage, beans and chips. Shock horror. I'm sure as he got older his discovered many new culinary delights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I've reopened the Wayne F**king Rooney thread

Do people expect Zlatan to be with us next season?

If he keeps his current form I hope he stays. There was talk of Jose wanting two forward players, 1 for Memphis and the other for Rooney rather than Zlatan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

I've given Rooney enough stick over the last few years but some of the stuff in here today is nuts. Regardless of his behaviour (which I'm not a fan of) he's been a very important player for us. The fact he has the record shows that. He has been in decline for a while now but that shouldn't take away from the player he once was.

I'll never think of him as a legend because of my personal feelings towards him (transfer requests mostly) but I will remember him as a great player.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RobertKK wrote: »
    Do people expect Zlatan to be with us next season?

If he keeps his current form I hope he stays. There was talk of Jose wanting two forward players, 1 for Memphis and the other for Rooney rather than Zlatan?

It wouldn't shock me if he leaves. I think I saw his agent talking bout a move to Napoli a few days ago.

I think IF Griezmann does come in, then the team will be built around him, not Zlatan. And that might make Zlatan think of a move.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    It wouldn't shock me if he leaves. I think I saw his agent talking bout a move to Napoli a few days ago.

I think IF Griezmann does come in, then the team will be built around him, not Zlatan. And that might make Zlatan think of a move.

I wonder if he stays and if Griezmann is signed if the first team will be:

New CDM
    Herrera - Pogba
    Griezmann - Mkhitaryan - Martial
    Ibrahimovic

we have that many good players now, i dont expect the team to be built around anybody. i think we will see Greizemann, mata, mkhitaryan, all interchanging with Pogba behind them doing his stuff.

Raging we didnt sign Dembele before he went to Celtic, only cost 500k!!

• Advertisement

New CDM
    Herrera - Pogba
    Ibrahimovic

considering we play 4 at the back along with a keeper making 5, you are 1 too many in your're team

New CDM
    Herrera - Pogba
    Ibrahimovic

Playing three defenders? :P

I reckon you could see...

If Ibra stayed and we got Griezmann, I reckon that would be the end of Martial, as Griezmann would probably end up taking his spot imo.

If Ibra stayed and we got Griezmann, I reckon that would be the end of Martial, as Griezmann would probably end up taking his spot imo.

end of martial?? Martial is only getting started in his career and is showing some real moments of brilliance, i also think jose likes him a lot. Also if Ibra does stay it will be his last season at the club and Martial will still only be 22 when Ibra is gone...

end of martial?? Martial is only getting started in his career and is showing some real moments of brilliance, i also think jose likes him a lot. Also if Ibra does stay it will be his last season at the club and Martial will still only be 22 when Ibra is gone...

i think he means at united which tbh i can see him being gone at the end of the season as well which would be a terrible decsion.

i think there will be a lot of change at the club this season with rooney,carrick,darmian,young, bastian all leaving and i wouldn't be surprised of shaw and smalling and blind werent too far behind.

Bailly, Bonucci and Lindelof :p

sky88 wrote: »
    i think he means at united which tbh i can see him being gone at the end of the season as well which would be a terrible decsion.

i think there will be a lot of change at the club this season with rooney,carrick,darmian,young, bastian all leaving and i wouldn't be surprised of shaw and smalling and blind werent too far behind.

i would bet anything there is no chance of Martial leaving. ed woodward said recently as well there would be only minor changes in the summer and not a major squad overhaul. why would anyone think we are selling Martial!! he is currently one of the best young players in europe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Bailly, Bonucci and Lindelof :p

only four new signings eh RobertKK
    Bonucci
    Lindeldoff
    New CDM
    Griezemann

Wheres you ambition man!!!!

i would bet anything there is no chance of Martial leaving. ed woodward said recently as well there would be only minor changes in the summer and not a major squad overhaul. why would anyone think we are selling Martial!! he is currently one of the best young players in europe

Not going to disagree about his potential.

But given he's in and out of the team and can't nail down a space, I honestly don't think Jose seems to fully trust him. He seems to have had a few good games, but over the whole season, he seems to have (for whatever reason ) been unable to fully grab that first team slot, and has benefitted from the fact that neither has anyone else.

For me, I think Shaw is a deadman walking, and it wouldn't shock me to hear Martial was out the door too. I think if Jose got an offer for Martial from a PSG or the likes, over what we paid for him, he'd take that money and go invest in a player of his own.

Which is another point; I think by the end of the 2018 transfer window, 90% of LVG's buys will have been moved on in favour of Jose's players.

But given he's in and out of the team and can't nail down a space, I honestly don't think Jose seems to fully trust him. He seems to have had a few good games, but over the whole season, he seems to have (for whatever reason ) been unable to fully grab that first team slot, and has benefitted from the fact that neither has anyone else.

For me, I think Shaw is a deadman walking, and it wouldn't shock me to hear Martial was out the door too. I think if Jose got an offer for Martial from a PSG or the likes, over what we paid for him, he'd take that money and go invest in a player of his own.

Which is another point; I think by the end of the 2018 transfer window, 90% of LVG's buys will have been moved on in favour of Jose's players.

i think by then there maybe only 3 or 4 players left from LVG, moyes or fergies reigns.

he cant nail a place down as he is in direct competition with players that are equally good in rashford or mkhitarayan, but he has responded well to jose and put in some great performances and he hasplayed 25 times this season. i just cannot see another load of players leaving in the summer after we already sold depay and schneiderlain. Rooney and Bastian will prob leave, Carrick 50/50,

No chance of Ibra leaving this summer IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

he is currently one of the best young players in europe

Just behind Januzaj I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Just behind Januzaj I reckon.

agh janujaz, should've snapped that offer out of PSG's hand at the time

Was it €40m or something that was reported

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Nah Martial is grand.. it would be Mata and Lingard that would be looking over their shoulders. Griezmann is best through the middle or cutting in from the right. Would be very interchangeable in a team with Mkhitaryan with the two of the trading places and he isn't shy at getting back and doing the dirty work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Surely that couldn't happen.

AFAIK we would only be obliged to buy him out if we wanted rid of him and were releasing him on a free, if a club is paying a transfer fee and he agrees to move then it would be the same as any regular transfer, wouldn't it?

Rooney's agent got his image right stuff built into his United contract.

It sounded from day one a nightmare mindfield to ever try move out of, apart from its natural conclusion. Should Rooney move, it is going to be an expensive lesson learned for Woodward to never make another contract like that again

Was the Rooney sausage thing not in one of Fergies autobiographies one of my mates is always referring to it but google is coming up short of answers

TheDoc wrote: »
    Rooney's agent got his image right stuff built into his United contract.

It sounded from day one a nightmare mindfield to ever try move out of, apart from its natural conclusion. Should Rooney move, it is going to be an expensive lesson learned for Woodward to never make another contract like that again

the rooney contract was just typical of moyes season in charge. woodward while a genius in making money to me didnt know how to navigate the world of football and paniced with fellani, mata and the rooney contract. I think 2 out of those 3 have been good for the club in the end.

Griezmann is looking a cert for the Summer at this stage, I hope so.

Not that Emmanuel Petit swung it for me, but he's the latest to opine that it's a done deal. Seems to be a 'one of the worst kept secrets in football' scenario by now. Terrible article though, I'm just using it as an example of the smoke behind what will hopefully be a raging fire in the Summer...

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/10778472/antoine-griezmann-will-definitely-join-man-utd-says-emmanuel-petit

With or without Griezmann, both Mata and Martial will be at the club next season. I'll take a charity bet with any regular poster (United fan) who thinks otherwise :)

looked at the rest of the draw for EL for the 1st time today really and i dont think theres too much to fear really Roma, shaktar maybe, spurs if they can turn it around but even then id be confident of beating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It wouldn't shock me if he leaves.

One thing I find interesting is the belief that when he goes he will go to China or the US, but nobody mentions other Premier league clubs. Which is strange when you consider how desperate many premier league clubs are for goalscorers and how flush they are with cash right now.

Seriously, Jermaine Defoe came back from Canadian retirement to be a much sought after commodity in the PL, Berehino sat on the bench for 2 years and was still wanted by clubs, the fact is that there are a ball of clubs in the PL that would see Rooney as a major upgrade on anything they currently have on their books.

And then Rooney himself, I know he would probably rather be at a big club, but if its clear to him that his time at United is up do you really think he would choose China over staying in the UK with a PL club like Palace, West Brom, maybe Newcastle next season?

sky88 wrote: »
    looked at the rest of the draw for EL for the 1st time today really and i dont think theres too much to fear really Roma, shaktar maybe, spurs if they can turn it around but even then id be confident of beating them.

Wonder what would be the top 3 toughest?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement