Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

beno619 wrote: »
    I'd rather have him on the bench as a viable option for the manager.

£15m is nothing compared to the contribution he could still make. I still think he's a useful option.

If we're paying him 250k a year, I expect him to be more than "a useful option".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's English, his wife is English, his kids are English and settled for a long time.
    Forget about the money, It's a huge change for him and his family.
    I think a move to Everton would suit them better and I have a hunch he's thinking "stay local".

Tranmere Rovers it is then :D

Dont want him playing against Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Lord TSC wrote: »
    If we're paying him 250k a year, I expect him to be more than "a useful option".

Well I think he's a good option !

10 assists and a handful of goals is a grand return vs minutes he's played.

I'd have no problem if he was adequately replaced but I don't get the lads who seem obsessed with Rooney being shown the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

The optics of Rooney lifting the League Cup were very weird to me.

Not a JT FKW scenario but it was as close as I hope Utd ever get to that kind of thing.

Even Robbo lifted the trophy with Steve Bruce in 1993, he was surely offered the chance to lift it alone.

It says as much about the leadership structure LVG left behind.

Carrick should be club captain, Zlatan IS captain in everything but name but both will go gone in 18 months you'd think. Smalling wouldn't captain the beans on my toast but would Pogba be ready for the responsibility when the job opens up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Korat wrote: »
    The optics of Rooney lifting the League Cup were very weird to me.

Not a JT FKW scenario but it was as close as I hope Utd ever get to that kind of thing.

Even Robbo lifted the trophy with Steve Bruce in 1993, he was surely offered the chance to lift it alone.

It says as much about the leadership structure LVG left behind.

Carrick should be club captain, Zlatan IS captain in everything but name but both will go gone in 18 months you'd think. Smalling wouldn't captain the beans on my toast but would Pogba be ready for the responsibility when the job opens up?

Herrara should be our next captain IMO.

During a difficult early spell at the club he kept his head down and went about his business like a consummate pro.

He is now nearly the first name on the team sheet.

He is a warrior, loves the club and can be a needling bastard when he has to be too.

That's the kind of balls and grit that make a club captain IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Fellaini should be captain in my opinion just to see bangkok explode.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Rod Munch wrote: »
    He is a warrior, loves the club and can be a needling bastard when he has to be too.

That's the kind of balls and grit that make a club captain IMO.

Now that you say it, he reminds me of Antonio Conte as a player actually.

In a midfield with Zidane and Deschamps he was hugely underrated as a player for the impact he had.

I haven't really rated Herrara but I think like lots of Utd fans I fall into the trap of looking for carbon copies of Keane or Scholes. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

jayo26 wrote: »
    Fellaini should be captain in my opinion just to see bangkok explode.

yea he would make a great captain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQiApjwTuoM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

rooney to everton, Lukaku to united next summer

bangkok wrote: »
    yea he would make a great captain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQiApjwTuoM

Haha won't even ask how you found that.

I hope Felaini goes in the summer. A group in the Man Utd forum have bullied bangkok about his opinions on him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lord TSC wrote: »

Not sure he'd take that much of a pay cut :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Not sure he'd take that much of a pay cut :D

He's worth less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

United have signed Gundogan.

Levent Gundogan has signed for the club after impressing during trials.He was spotted playing for Connahs Quay in Wales.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    United have signed Gundogan.

Levent Gundogan has signed for the club after impressing during trials.He was spotted playing for Connahs Quay in Wales.

Does this one get injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

After a season where the Reds have been unfortunate not to win when dominating games, Herrera was satisfied the team pulled out all the stops, despite a tiring schedule, to score late on after relinquishing a two-goal lead.

"Southampton played very well but we have been looking for this the whole season," he told MUTV.

"How many times have we played better than our opponents and had much more chances than our opponents, but didn't win? I said that sooner or later, the goals will come and I think we were very, very clinical on Sunday.

"Sometimes, the badge wins games and this was an example of that."

"It's a very nice feeling. Our second trophy of the season, my third with the club and all that's happened to me in this stadium [Wembley] has been brilliant. Our fans have another trophy for our brilliant history so everything is good."

The midfielder added: "I think one of the things [Jose] Mourinho has brought to this club is he is a winner. He shared that with the group, with the team and with the squad.

"At this moment, it's not very easy to beat us. We have to respect every opponent but the badge sometimes wins the game. We keep going. It's our second title of the season but it's not enough for us.

"We are not having too much time to enjoy it with our people. We are playing every week now but have two days off as the manager understands perfectly what we need.

"Already, we have to focus on Bournemouth [Saturday's visitors to Old Trafford] as we have to be in the top four. We want to play in the Champions League next season."

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2017/Feb/ander-herrera-club-badge-won-the-efl-cup-final-for-manchester-united.aspx

On this date last year, Rashford's PL debut...

Herrera's strike :eek: Edit: Damn - deflection, it was heading for the corner flag :pac:

This also happened in that match...

...the crazy bastard!

Majesté tu ma promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yup generally it's a nice humorous place to be.

It is but plenty of people acting like pricks and others thanking them last few days. Don't fancy wading through ****e cos a few **** can't help themselves abusing other fans.

I think anyone who goes in to other threads to cause trouble short be carded for each yellow in it.

• Advertisement

When it's raining you bring an umbrella, when it's sunny you sit off in a beer garden drinking saucy pints.

They'll beat Arsenal next week and we'll f**k up against Bournemouth and they'll be all over us like a spidermonkey.

It's just the way it goes.

The rain in this case is people pissing that beer on others.

It is but plenty of people acting like pricks and others thanking them last few days. Don't fancy wading through ****e cos a few **** can't help themselves abusing other fans.

I think anyone who goes in to other threads to cause trouble short be carded for each yellow in it.

Yes it generally is a decent thread. The problem is that this and the pool threads have probably close to the most followers on boards and alot of people only post when winning or some others when loosing and they go the the extreme it's same in both threads but the nucleus of posters on both sides like to talk football and so so have a joke and take it for what it is.

The difference the past few days was we won a cup and alot of people tried to play it down or have a dig and then thst lead to people trying to have digs back once it all blows over its decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

The rain in this case is people pissing that beer on others.

The thing about public message boards is that not everyone is going to be like you or behave in a way that you see fit.
    There's no point in moaning about it.

The thing about public message boards is that not everyone is going to be like you or behave in a way that you see fit.
    There's no point in moaning about it.

There pointedly is. It's the report function. I'll also complain on thread as I want people to see that I disagree with them. For instance I hope some of the guys who went into the pool thread are not seen around here again.

The argument that some do it so it's ok it hollow too. Majority of both clubs supporters here dont the partake but we're still saddled with dealing with the crap a few knuckle draggers throw at each other. Think you agree with that from the other post.

Shut .... the front door. :D

Wundershein. :)

There pointedly is. It's the report function. I'll also complain on thread as I want people to see that I disagree with them. For instance I hope some of the guys who went into the pool thread are not seen around here again.

The argument that some do it so it's ok it hollow two. Majority of both clubs supporters here dont the partake but we're still saddled with dealing with the crap a few knuckle draggers throw at each other.

Who are you to set the standard of posting though? This site is open to everyone, be it a 16 year old from Sherrif Street or a 60 year old from Killiney.
    There's obviously going to be different standards of posting.

If it's against the rules by all means do what you want about it but gloating or mocking results isn't specifically against the rules.

Anyway I see depay had a good game the weekend for Lyon he had two decent goals and an assist got man of the match too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If people are feeling down after their team has lost, there is a happiness from rivals as it benefits them, but one should remember that one can laugh at a rival one day, but the rival will be laughing at your club on another day.
    For some the rivalry with Liverpool is the big thing, personally I dislike City, a lot of my relations seem to be United fans and another tranche are Liverpool fans, but the rivalry is virtually zero. Going to school, one of my best friends was a Liverpool fan, I haven't seen him in a long time, I became a United fan because my sister who is older started following United. She no longer follows any team.
    For me it is all about how United do, we need other teams to do us favours and this is where it is great to see a direct rival losing, it was great to see Liverpool lose last night as it benefits us, but it will benefit us if Liverpool beat Arsenal on Saturday. I will be hoping they win, but most of all United must stay winning, otherwise all this stuff about what other clubs are doing is rather pointless if we don't do our own job and get the required result.
    It is not as if United has been a paragon of greatest over the past few years, and the main goals of this season have not yet been achieved.

RobertKK wrote: »
    If people are feeling down after their team has lost, there is a happiness from rivals as it benefits them, but one should remember that one can laugh at a rival one day, but the rival will be laughing at your club on another day.

For some the rivalry with Liverpool is the big thing, personally I dislike City, a lot of my relations seem to be United fans and another tranche are Liverpool fans, but the rivalry is virtually zero.

Going to school, one of my best friends was a Liverpool fan, I haven't seen him in a long time, I became a United fan because my sister who is older started following United. She no longer follows any team.

For me it is all about how United do, we need other teams to do us favours and this is where it is great to see a direct rival losing, it was great to see Liverpool lose last night as it benefits us, but it will benefit us if Liverpool beat Arsenal on Saturday.

I will be hoping they win, but most of all United must stay winning, otherwise all this stuff about what other clubs are doing is rather pointless if we don't do our own job and get the required result.

It is not as if United has been a paragon of greatest over the past few years, and the main goals of this season have not yet been achieved.

RobKK fair play :)

Am sonnen und lied ich bin an diesen moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

The argument that some do it so it's ok it hollow too. Majority of both clubs supporters here dont the partake but we're still saddled with dealing with the crap a few knuckle draggers throw at each other. Think you agree with that from the other post.

I'd suggest reporting and PMing the individuals concerned rather than pontificating about it in the thread.

Coming in here and making a point of dragging the thread off topic because it's so important everyone hears your piece is exactly what the people you're complaining about did to annoy you, you think the way to fix it is to emulate it?

To be clear I'm not one for the knuckle dragging sh**e either but what you're at is pretty hypocritical.

• Advertisement

To be clear I'm not one for the knuckle dragging sh**e either but what you're at is pretty hypocritical.

Knuckle dragging is hard to do too>

..welcome to the Hero hour. :)

Korat wrote: »
    Knuckle dragging is hard to do too>

..welcome to the Hero hour. :)

I'm not sure what you're getting at but I've given up cynicism for lent so I'm gonna assume it's something nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I was part of dragging down the place last night so first of all I apologise for that. It must be annoying for people to go to United thread and then read few remarks, although I dont think it was ott.

Tbh some of the best posters on boards soccer forum are Liverpool lads. 98% are sound. Look they slag us when we get beat thats fine. We slag them back. You only have handful who go ott, but the difference(from what I see) is that if posters acts up here its brought to attention more here then in Liverpool thread and I have got few DM from 2 Liverpool lads who brought it to my attention over few years. I only read Liverpool thread maybe once/twice a week at most if at all. They actually seem have good discussion on things at minute because everyone is able to have their say.

But they have lost some great posters over their because a group of them seem gang up and hunt them out. Pity. But im not mod and who am I to say who should say what.

Do I love when Liverpool get beat? Hell ya!, but I have always respected them as the big club they are and how they got there. Its a great City with great people, I was dating a Policewoman from Liverpool for year for while.

Posters like Niallo seem get stick but he be least of the worries. Ya he stir the pot but he be first to say well done too, like on Sunday.

Sorry for the ramble, but I resprct Donnelighto point too. He is entitled to it.

Anyway thats last I mention them on here. Until they get beat again ;)

I'm not sure what you're getting at but I've given up cynicism for lent so I'm gonna assume it's something nice :)

I'm a thunderously unsubtle person but I'm grateful to share something special with any Celt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Is Korat drunk :D

astradave wrote: »
    Is Korat drunk :D

Yes

I'd suggest reporting and PMing the individuals concerned rather than pontificating about it in the thread.

Coming in here and making a point of dragging the thread off topic because it's so important everyone hears your piece is exactly what the people you're complaining about did to annoy you, you think the way to fix it is to emulate it?

By that logic nobody can complain about off topic stuff. I am talking about regular posters on this thread.

Main point on it though is that its setting a time bomb that a few lads with chips on their shoulders will pile in here when they can and it'll keep going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'm personally bored of the nonsense in match threads, from both sides. I actually really enjoy the concept of match threads where decent discussion can be had and incidents can be discussed, as not many of my friends are big football fans. They are regularly ruined by trolling, gloating, bitching and biting though.

Anyway, on the actual football, I think that win on Sunday was absolutely massive. We still have glaring problems in the side and are nowhere near our former Champions league dominating pomp, but that winning perception is coming back and we've slowly started to put teams to the sword in front of goal. Be fairly confident we will do top 4 this year.

By that logic nobody can complain about off topic stuff. I am talking about regular posters on this thread.

Main point on it though is that its setting a time bomb that a few lads with chips on their shoulders will pile in here when they can and it'll keep going.

Fair point

• Advertisement

There's battle lines being drawn

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong

Young people speaking their minds

Getting so much resistance from behind It's time we stop

Hey, what's that sound Everybody look what's going down

What a field day for the heap .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm personally bored of the nonsense in match threads

Exactly. This running off to other threads to "stir the pot" isn't big, it isn't funny, it isn't good craic, its just boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I've been watching United for more than 25 years and there has always been the bit of needle with LFC.

That started when I was under 10, through secondary school, then college, then working life.

As I've gotten older I've grown to respect them as a club and have become more pragmatic about the whole lot but for me personally, I will always enjoy when they lose, doubly so when it gives United an advantage.

I don't get that same feeling when say Chelsea, Arsenal or City lose which is funny because for the last 25 years LFC havnt really been a rival when it came to us winning the league or whatever competition we are in.

Some good mates down the years were and still are LFC fans but the guff we give each other is mostly good natured.

As said above, there are some very knowledgeable and interesting posters in the LFC thread but there are also (IMO) some awful geebags too, but I'm sure a lot of them would say the same about this thread.

There will always be rivalry and slagging between the two teams. Remember this place in the 13/14 season? My goodness it was tough to be a United fan but that's part and parcel of the whole thing and it makes the victories when they come that little bit sweeter.

I used to get in a bit of a lather when negative things were posted about the club but these days I can have a little chuckle if its funny or just roll my eyes if its brainless.

I'm partial to a bit of face rubbing and probably always will be, whether its soccer or GAA or whatever sport but I'm also to able to accept the face rubbing when its given back.

Tbh I enjoy the rivalry/slagging/one upmanship and IMO soccer and the soccer forum would be less enjoyable if that element wasn't there.

/shrugs

I'd say some people are great craic at a match.

"Build a bonfire, build a bonfire
    Put the scousers on the..."

Hey guys... that's not on, why can't we all be grown up about this?

Hush now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I don't mind the banter etc

It's the "ignore them they're obsessed" brigade that gets up my nostrils

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Totally different situations right? Anyway, no point going on about it, it is what it is.

Totally different situations right? Anyway, no point going on about it, it is what it is.

Different situation but in essence it's grown men and women slagging off rival fans.

Horses for courses.

200px-USA_-_1st_Cavalry_Aviation_Brigade.png

Always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Id be very happy if Rooney returned to Everton as I think he'd do well, and I like Everton for the most part so I'd be rooting for him. Its a move that makes sense.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement