Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

zerks wrote: »
    The morning papers saying Zlatan wants to stay 2 more seasons at United.

Mirror and the times both saying this.. seen a report also that Barca are going to bid €70m for Veratti.. really hope we throw our name in the ring if that's true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

astradave wrote: »
    Mirror and the times both saying this.. seen a report also that Barca are going to bid €70m for Veratti.. really hope we throw our name in the ring if that's true

Haven't seen enough of Verrati this year. Who would he replace In our midfield? Carrick?

jayo26 wrote: »
    Haven't seen enough of Verrati this year. Who would he replace In our midfield? Carrick?

Yeah more than likely. Bit of a late era Scholes about him. Though he is great at breaking up the play and being in the right position at the right time. knows where the goal is too..

Hes been playing as the box to box in a midfield 3 this year with either Motta or Rablot in the centre.. they play pretty pushEd up though. He would have no problem playing at the base

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

The morning papers saying Zlatan wants to stay 2 more seasons at United.

So when they put the 'option of another year' into a contract is that completely meaningless?

I would have thought the extra year could be triggered by the club. If not it doesn't really make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Verratti is the best midfielder in the game for me. I'd probably only have Messi ahead of him as the best player tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I'd love Ibra for 2 more years, snap him up! His influence alone in the dressing room seems to be enough even if he doesn't play a minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

So when they put the 'option of another year' into a contract is that completely meaningless?

I would have thought the extra year could be triggered by the club. If not it doesn't really make sense.

The extra year has been 9/10 always a club option, or a player entitlement based on appearances in final year, or possibly some other performance related clause

There have been rumours,and seemingly more true as time goes on that Ibra's agent managed to negotiate some say in the option of an extra year.

From the clubs POV you would imagine at this point anything performance related or appearance related would be satisfied. Mourinho said before Xmas in fact that the contract requirements had been met and it was simply a matter of signing off on it, but no rush.

Perhaps Ibra has simply asked them not to trigger it and make the decision at the end of the season when he feels how much of a toll the year has had on his body and if he thinks he has another on in him and as Mourinho said, he does not force anybody to play for him.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Verratti is the best midfielder in the game for me. I'd probably only have Messi ahead of him as the best player tbh.

Would lose my sh*t if United sign him.

Can't see it happening though, PSG are not short of a few bob and if he moves I can see hi return home rather than another European league.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Just seen the LA liga table, can't believe how real Madrid are bottling it they had a 9 or ten point gap a few games ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I don't think we are going to sign a passing/tempo setting maestro like Veratti to replace Carrick.

I think we are far more likely to sign a combative player like Bakayoko, to sit behind Pogba and Herrera and give those two more freedom to play further up the pitch, with the play centred through Pogba.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

I don't think we are going to sign a passing/tempo setting maestro like Veratti to replace Carrick.

I think we are far more likely to sign a combative player like Bakayoko, to sit behind Pogba and Herrera and give those two more freedom to play further up the pitch, with the play centred through Pogba.

Completely agree.

Spurs and Chelsea are the only two teams in the league with less goals conceded than us. They have Kante and Wanyama doing that job respectively.

We need our own beast of a midfielder to do that job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jose is a winner,and won't tolerate passengers,reminds me of a certain Roy Keane.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/player-reveals-extraordinary-dressing-room-spat-jose-mourinho-youre-coward/
    Mourinho, like some Arsenal fans in recent times, was unhappy with the effort Ozil was putting in, and decided to give him both barrels.

Ozil claims Mourinho shouted things like “You think two beautiful passes are enough… You think you’re so good that fifty percent is enough.”

To build the drama, the Arsenal player writes: ‘He pauses. Stares at me with his dark brown eyes. I stare back. Like two boxers at the stare-down before the first round. He shows no emotion. Just waits for a response from me. How much I hate him right now. And I love Mourinho actually.’
    The argument continued and Ozil eventually threw his Real madrid shirt at Mourinho and told him to put it on.

As some Manchester United players can probably already back-up, such petulance wasn’t going to please Mourinho, who shouted back: “Oh, are you giving up now? You’re such a coward. What do you want? To creep under the beautiful, warm shower? Shampoo your hair? To be alone? Or do you want to prove to your fellow players, the fans out there, and me, what you can do.

“You know what, Mesut. Go ahead and cry! You’re such a baby going to take a shower. We do not need you.”

Ozil took the shower.

Eventually the player realised Mourinho was right, and has admitted as much in his book, explaining it proved to be a valuable career lesson.

3DDD835200000578-0-image-a-2_1488443024369.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

• Advertisement

sky88 wrote: »
    Ed Richard Arnold is some boyo

;)

De Boer is very Frank;) about Memphis:

“Memphis is a great talent. It just did not work out,” De Boer told Sport360.

“He has his characteristics and perhaps he can be smarter at times. When people expect you to do things and you don’t deliver, don’t do other things to attract attention.

“[Pierre-Emerick] Aubameyang, I saw him in a blue suit, an ugly one in which he looked like a clown, but it is accepted because he is scoring goals, so everyone laughs about it.

“But if you are not scoring goals and playing bad, people will say he is thinking more about his clothes or whatever. They have to be smart, you really have to work.”

De Boer feels tendency to linger on the ball led to a failure to adapt to Premier League football.

He added: “The only thing I thought when I saw him playing was that you can’t stand on the ball and have time, in England they’re much stronger and faster, you have to adapt. He didn’t really do that. He’s got it but thought he could do it standing still, he didn’t do it while moving.

“You need a good start. When you have doubts and they don’t go away there’s more pressure and people expect. But he’s still young and he’s at Lyon which is a great team. I still think he can have an incredible turnaround. He has the quality.”

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/how-memphis-depay-failed-to-adapt-to-the-premier-league-frank-de-boer/912513#cqJSWiteelzzIQDU.99

Carrick awarded a testimonial by the club.

Bye Bye Michael, well deserved testimonial.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Some more info:
    At the request of the United vice-captain, all monies raised after expenses will be distributed to his chosen charities through the newly-created Michael Carrick Foundation, itself a registered charity.

The major highlight of the testimonial will be a match between a Manchester United 2008 XI and Michael Carrick All-Stars to be played at Old Trafford on Sunday 4 June 2017. The confirmed list of players for the United team includes Edwin van der Sar, Gary Neville, Rio Ferdinand, Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs, while the All-Stars line-up will feature Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and Michael Owen. More stars will be announced in the coming weeks.

The charities to which the testimonial proceeds will be distributed by the foundation will be based in Manchester and Newcastle initially, focusing on young people and their development. The vision of the Michael Carrick Foundation is to create opportunities for children to feel safe, valued and inspired to achieve.

The mission is to do this by giving something back for children with identified needs, by investing in specific sustainable community-centred projects creating a legacy through enriched experiences and enhanced opportunities. Also benefiting will be projects of the Manchester United Foundation which works across some of the most deprived areas of Greater Manchester, using the passion for Manchester United to help and inspire youngsters. The testimonial was awarded by the club at the request of a testimonial committee following Michael’s service of over 11 years to the club, including a recent period as vice-captain.

Michael Carrick said: "To have played for the greatest football club for 11 years is something that I'm very proud of and it is an honour to have been given a testimonial. The game will be very special for myself and my family and I hope it will also be a memorable day of celebration for all involved.

"It is such a privilege to have this amazing opportunity and I'm excited at the prospect of bringing together some former team-mates as well as some of the best players I've played against. The incredible support I've received over the years is something I'm very grateful for and I could never thank you, the fans, enough. As much as the occasion is about football, I also see this as a chance to give something back.

"All the proceeds from the game are going to charity. I hope to raise as much money as possible for my Foundation to help make a difference to children's lives. It’s something I'm very passionate about and I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to making this testimonial possible."

Jose Mourinho, manager of Manchester United, said: "I am delighted Michael has been awarded a testimonial. Michael is a phenomenal person and a true professional. He gives stability in our game and mental freedom to the other guys around him to be more attacking. He has a big understanding of the game and is a great role model for our younger players. This will be a fitting way for Michael and his family to celebrate his achievements over the past 11 years and for Michael to create a lasting legacy through his foundation."

Ed Woodward, Executive Vice-Chairman of Manchester United, said: "Michael is a great example of a Manchester United player. He plays the game with elegant flair, making his job look effortless. He is 100 per cent a team player and someone for the younger players to look up to. From the start at United, he showed courage to take the squad number of the great Roy Keane and he has continued to grow in responsibility and influence. For someone who has won everything in the game, his commitment, effort and work rate are great examples to young players. The testimonial is a fitting tribute to a real gentleman of the game."

David Giess, Executive Director of Skillequal and Michael’s agent and business manager for over 20 years, said: "I am delighted that Manchester United, Ed Woodward, the Glazers and the Board have awarded Michael his testimonial as a celebration of 11 years with the club. I think this is a fitting tribute to Michael and recognises not only his standing as a top player but also his contribution to a highly successful period at the club, having won 10 major trophies with United. As an individual you won’t find a more respected, genuine and sincere person and it’s been a privilege and honour to work with him for all these years.

"When Michael heard he had been granted the testimonial by the club he immediately insisted that all money raised should go to charities working for young people in his local areas of Manchester and Newcastle. On Michael’s behalf we are now working hard to make the event a huge success, memorable for the fans, and creating real benefits for those who depend on these projects."

John Shiels, Manchester United Foundation CEO, said: "This is a tremendous gesture from the vice captain of Manchester United. Throughout his time at the club, Michael has always supported our Foundation and visited a number of our partner schools and projects. He has not only been a constant and inspiring role model for the young people we work with, but over the years I have also been particularly struck by the sensitive and compassionate way he has taken time out to meet supporters with life-limiting conditions. Michael’s generosity doesn’t surprise me, but it goes without saying Manchester United Foundation is incredibly grateful."

• Advertisement

Good. A proper testimonial match.

Fed up of friendlies dressed up as testimonials.

Was it a Cantona one where we had him, Robson and Becham all wearing 7 for United?

Bye Bye Michael, well deserved testimonial.

Why bye bye? Rooney had his testimonial last summer. still here.

Why bye bye? Rooney had his testimonial last summer. still here.

Feels different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

That should be a decent watch. Gerrard to be booed mercilessly of course.

Jayop wrote: »
    That should be a decent watch. Gerrard to be booed mercilessly of course.

If he slips.....................:pac::pac::pac::pac:

https://twitter.com/FAvictimiseCFC/status/837005332580794368

Coming from fans who's idea of passion and atmosphere is chanting "Chelsea,Chelsea,Chelsea." ad nauseum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

https://twitter.com/FAvictimiseCFC/status/837005332580794368

Coming from fans who's idea of passion and atmosphere is chanting "Chelsea,Chelsea,Chelsea." ad nauseum.

Don't generalize.

He'll always get a good reception, just like all former staff do and just like he did when he got beat 4-0 earlier in the season.

Those comments are just par for the course for a new manager at a club, "manager endears himself to new fans".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

When Zlatan scored his hat-trick against St Etienne...
    It was his 17th hat-trick.
    It was his 17th goal against St Etienne.
    It was his 17th appearance at Old Trafford.

Since turning 30 his goal scoring record is 0.83 league goals per game, this season so far he is at 0.58 goals per league game, one could argue his form is approving with 6 goals in his last 4 games - they were cup games but 1.5 goals per game in that period is something we have been missing with our strikers since 2013.

I would be very happy if we extend his contract if he wants it, United normally give 1 year contracts for older players, but it is clear that Zlatan was born with genes for longevity and a mentality and work rate in training that has his performing like a player many years younger.
    Zlatan has said he wants to go out at the top and will not continue playing if he believes he can not reach the high standards he sets himself, and he doesn't seem to be the type of person who would stay playing for the sake of simply playing, he plays to win, and we should all be thankful for the winning mentality that has been brought into the club since the sacking of LVG.

A welcome and slightly unexpected loss for Liverpool at the weekend means that we're even closer than I thought we would be. 5 points between us and 2nd with a game in hand.

Current Table
    1 Chelsea 26 63
    2 Tottenham 26 53
    3 Man City 25 52
    4 Arsenal 25 50
    5 Liverpool 26 49
    6 Man Utd 25 48

W/E 4th March:

Man Utd v Bournemouth
    Liverpool v Arsenal
    Spurs v Everton
    Sunderland v City
    West Ham v Chelsea

Early k/o this week and should we win we can finally climb the table for more than a few hours for the first time in months. Get those 3 points and regardless of what happens in the Liverpool Arse game we'll be up to 5th for the week. I know it's nothing to be jumping up and down about, but given how long we've been grinding away in 6th I'll be ****ing delighted to move up a place and keep on catching those above that. Beating Bournemouth at home should be meat and drink for us, but these games that ensure we gain points have been ones where we struggled and got draws since Christmas. I'll be nervous but we should have enough.

I think ideally for us I'd take a draw int eh Liverpool/Arse game. Both of them dropping 2 points would be better than one of them getting all 3. A draw would see us level with Arsenal and a point ahead of Liverpool, both with a better GD (unless we put 5 passed Bournemouth).

Can't really see any of the others dropping points here, but Everton have won their last 4 including City and Southampton but both those games were at home. Spurs should win. Sunderland are gank, but in fairness to them they've taken points off top teams this year. Drew with Spurs & Liverpool both at home so there's a little bit of hope.

W/E 13th March:

City v Stoke Postponed - Edit: Till following Wed.
    Palace v Spurs Postponed
    Arsenal v Leicester Postponed
    Southampton v United Postponed

Liverpool v Burnley
    Chelsea v Watford Postponed

Burnley getting something at Anfield wouldn't surprise me but I think it will happen. Pity the Arsenal game is off, Leicester could have gotten something there.

W/E 29th March:

WBA v Arsenal
    Stoke v Chelsea
    Boro v United
    Spurs v Southampton
    City v Liverpool

Wins for everyone else and I reckon City beat Liverpool in this one.

Table at the end of March (predicted):

1 Chelsea 28 69
    2 Man City 28 61
    3 Tottenham 28 59
    4 Arsenal 27 54
    5 Man Utd 27 54
    6 Liverpool 29 53

We could really do with banging in a few 3 and 4 nils against the **** teams to get the GD back on par. If the table does look like that at the end of March then we could easily be ahead of Liverpool on GD and within a few of Arsenal.

Also, looks very unlikely now that Chelsea can have the league wrapped up before we play them. They should be well clear but including that United game they have 6 matches left so they'd need to be 18 points clear of Spurs and City. Spurs would need to drop 8 more points than Chelsea and City 7 points between now and then. Pretty unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Also, looks very unlikely now that Chelsea can have the league wrapped up before we play them. They should be well clear but including that United game they have 6 matches left so they'd need to be 18 points clear of Spurs and City. Spurs would need to drop 8 more points than Chelsea and City 7 points between now and then. Pretty unlikely.

City still do not have a good defense, and will drop points.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/837226529310523392
    On this day in 1991, Ryan Giggs made his #MUFC debut.

The rest, as they say, is history!

RobertKK wrote: »
    City still do not have a good defense, and will drop points.

Both city and spurs dropping that many and Chelsea dropping nothing is unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭caviardreams

W/E 13th March:

City v Stoke Postponed
    Palace v Spurs Postponed
    Arsenal v Leicester Postponed
    Southampton v United Postponed

Liverpool v Burnley
    Chelsea v Watford Postponed

Great analysis though City & Stoke has been rescheduled for the midweek before the W/E 13 - next Weds 8th.

Great analysis though City & Stoke has been rescheduled for the midweek before the W/E 13 - next Weds 8th.

Cheers mate, I updated that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Intersting article here about the battle for young talent in Manchester http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/longform_manchester_cold_war

Griezmann scored this tonight :D

https://streamable.com/u0e1w

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mata has serious competition for my man crush...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Cracking goal but the little bollox screwed up my bet.

:mad:

I'll get over it when he joins us though.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Mata has serious competition for my man crush...

Easy now Phil Jones has a woman.

Sublime, and he makes it look simple.

Hopefully Ed to Atletico...

nzjeKJ3.gif

There can be no other way. I generally don't get petulant over wanting new players in, but god damn it I want that player in a United shirt next season.

The morning papers roundup. United to pay off Rooney's contract and allow him join another EPL club in the Summer.
    Jose will go for Kane if he can't get Griezmann.
    Fellaini tried to get a move to China in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Agreed. It's more likely that the gap will be closer I think. I'd still give City an outside chance of catching them. We might be as well off playing a nervous team that is being reeled in rather than the relaxed, confident champions anyway.

As for Saturday, it looks to me like our easiest PL game of the season. Bournemouth are going through a rough time sliding down the table and they are one of those weaker teams who are unable to batten down the hatches. It should should be a very comfortable victory.

Bournemouth have let in something like 24 goals in the 9 games they played this year.. we really should be beating them by a few..

Cue 0-0 draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Bournemouth have let in something like 24 goals in the 9 games they played this year.. we really should be beating them by a few..

Cue 0-0 draw

1-0 will do me

4th baby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

#notsixth

1-0 will do me

4th baby

Fourth till the pool game. No matter what happens there it's down to fifth. Still ill take that after so long in the one position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

remember those amazing few hours we were in 5th place some good times.

i hope we make a few changes tomorrow as the players looked tired on sunday rooney,rashford and blind hopefully get some game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

A win and United are into 5th by the end of the day.a move up at long last and hopefully can keep going in the right direction.

Romero has been shopping.

3DE90D1400000578-0-image-m-7_1488538029993.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement