Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

A good combination of quality, experience, an ability to cover a number of positions, and a willingness to accept a role of a squad player. We need players like Rooney in the squad. It's not possible to have a squad filled Griezmanns and Pogbas.

He has shown very little quality over the last few months and he may be able to cover a few positions but isnt particularly effective or the best option in any of them.

Has he got a willingness to accept a squad position ?

of course every team needs balance and I dont see anyone saying a team must be filled with "Griezmanns and Pogbas" .Rooney offers very little now that cant be very easily replaced and upgraded on.

Rooney has had his day with United and I think its best for him to move on.The attributes that made him a star are mostly gone now,no shame in that as he ran himself into the ground for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Is Griezmann going to be happy to sit on the bench for most of the season?

A good combination of quality, experience, an ability to cover a number of positions, and a willingness to accept a role of a squad player. We need players like Rooney in the squad. It's not possible to have a squad filled Griezmanns and Pogbas.

Haha good one. Would instantly walk into the team at 10 where he has played there plenty....

Rooneys free kick was great but that's a deal ball situation...he was rank rotten in general play.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

In the Times, Duncan Castles says Mourinho is concerned after two players going and wants two signings - Lindelof and Bakayoko this window, and Young is likely to leave this month.

https://twitter.com/writtenoff_mufc/status/825610773107965952

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

No match thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

How can you seriously justify paying 250k a week for essentially a back up player. The only way I would like to keep Roo would be on a smaller contract to free up funds for important first team players..

Also.. where the fook is the match thread

RobertKK wrote: »
    In the Times, Duncan Castles says Mourinho is concerned after two players going and wants two signings - Lindelof and Bakayoko this window, and Young is likely to leave this month.

Would like to see Bakayoko come in anyways as I think we are short there and we are relying too much on Carrick.. especially since we are still in 4 comps and will have a lot of games

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

astradave wrote: »
    Would like to see Bakayoko come in anyways as I think we are short there and we are relying too much on Carrick.. especially since we are still in 4 comps and will have a lot of games

Havent seen much of Bakayoko but from the clips I have seen he looks like an all action CM

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yeah, it seems Bakayoko is who Jose wants, as Benfica have said no more sales this transfer season after they sold Guedes.
    So no one new for defense, but maybe Bakayoko and as you say, with Carrick, we need someone who can play his role.

Havent seen much of Bakayoko but from the clips I have seen he looks like an all action CM

He's a DM probably comparable to Makelele..

Monaco are playing PSG tonight. He should be playing.. it's live on BT sports 3 at 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

RobertKK wrote: »

I would have liked to see a player or 2 bought this month but not a hope there will be one big signing at this stage never mind two.

If a player United wanted was available im sure United would have pushed ahead with transfers,would have been great to get some good business done this month rather than having 4 or 5 new faces again in the summer.

• Advertisement

Maybe Jose was waiting to see how we progress in the cups to see if he thinks if more players are needed with the 2 departures..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

zerks wrote: »

Well played Astradave :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Delighted to see how Shaw gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Great to see Fosu starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

xtal191 wrote: »

Fosu mensah starting right back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

If it's a midfield three of Fellaini,Bastian and Rooney then that's a slow a midfield as you can get probably.

Still plenty of pace in other parts of the field. Just a slight worry about that midfield three.

Will we hear the new chant at OT today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Know it's a no no asking about match streams but am going to be on train so BBC player won't work(am in Rep of Ireland)....can anyone recommend a website I could possibly see Wigan game from,thanks.

Know it's a no no asking about match streams but am going to be on train so BBC player won't work(am in Rep of Ireland)....can anyone recommend a website I could possibly see Wigan game from,thanks.

Pm sent

Pm sent

Another PM sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

zerks wrote: »
    Will we hear the new chant at OT today?

I hope not. It's God-awful.

J. Marston wrote: »
    I hope not. It's God-awful.

In fairness most aren't great anyway.My current fave is "Going on the piss with Georgie Best".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Nice to see Martial up front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

yabadabado wrote: »
    He has shown very little quality over the last few months and he may be able to cover a few positions but isnt particularly effective or the best option in any of them.

He hasn't played a whole lot over the last few months. But over the last year he has shown plenty of examples of quality. He was excellent in the semi final and final of the FA cup last year. He rescued a point against Stoke last week and 2 points against Hull earlier in the season.He's put in some good performances in the Europa league and League Cup too and recently against Reading when first team players were rested. Obviously he is not the best option in any of the positions he covers anymore, that's why he is on the bench more often than not.
    Has he got a willingness to accept a squad position ?

Seemingly yes. A few on here chose to believe otherwise earlier on in the season. Some are very naive when they come across articles with unnamed sources unsubstantiated rumours which were coincidentally written during United's bad patch when the club was also apparently in crisis and Mourinho apparently a busted flush. Surprisingly few of those articles being written over the last few weeks. In my opinion he has been nothing but completely professional about being dropped to the bench despite his name, wages, and being on the verge of Charlton's record.
    Rooney offers very little now that cant be very easily replaced and upgraded on.

So which players will happily come to club, sit on the bench most of the time but offer more than Rooney in terms of experience, quality and positional cover? Can you name them for me?
    Haha good one. Would instantly walk into the team at 10 where he has played there plenty....

I'm aware of that. You obviously didn't understand the point I was making.
    Rooneys free kick was great but that's a deal ball situation...he was rank rotten in general play.

The goal counted didn't it? United in general were rank rotten that day.

To call Schweinsteiger rusty would be an understatement.

Very lvg like performance so far

I know there are lads that haven't played much but still they could be moving the ball quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

This opening 15 minutes have been extremely unconvincing. If the performance doesn't improve significantly Wigan will have every chance of winning the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Considering most of the team dont play regularly I think we are fine. Watching Shaw is exciting. Shouldn't be excited by a left back but he is potentially as good as anyone if he sorts himself out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Good man Fellaini.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Hon Big man!

Well done, Fellaini. We were getting nowhere trying to play it through them.

Nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Schweingsteiger to Fellaini... goal.

Class.

Delighted for Fellaini. He's been one of better players in this game. Schweinsteiger has come into it a bit more too. He'll never last the full 90 though. Martial has struggled in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Quandary wrote: »
    Delighted for Fellaini. He's been one of better players in this game. Schweinsteiger has come into it a bit more too. He'll never last the full 90 though. Martial has struggled in this game.

Its the style Wigan are playing it completly blocked out of the game as wigan are staying back

Some strength by the fella there to hold off the challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

BBC desperate to call the cross a long ball

Well done Fellaini.

After a slow start, it was good to see Schweini impose himself on the game more and more as the half ticked on. He had me worried in those first minutes though.

Same for the whole team really, very disjointed and sloppy early on with no flow whatsoever only to gradually come into the game. Hopefully this continues to build in the second half.

Not a good half from Rooney though, at all.

• Advertisement

stankratz wrote: »
    Not a good half from Rooney though, at all.

He has been very average but in fairness so too have Martial, Mata and Luke Shaw IMO.

Quandary wrote: »
    He has been very average but in fairness so too have Martial, Mata and Luke Shaw IMO.

Thought Shaw has been good.. bit hesitant going forward but great defensively.. it's like he has been told not to get caught out of position

Thought Shaw has been good.. bit hesitant going forward but great defensively.. it's like he has been told not to get caught out of position

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on Shaw. I'm seriously hoping he can start taking his chances though, it would be a shame if he let his opportunity slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

I find it incredibly hard to trust Romero. Always looks very shaky with the ball at his feet.

KH25 wrote: »
    I find it incredibly hard to trust Romero. Always looks very shaky with the ball at his feet.

He is as good a back-up keeper as we can hope for i think.

They are trying their best to get that chant going

GSPfan wrote: »
    He is as good a back-up keeper as we can hope for i think.

I think he's great. Pretty sure he's got a brilliant clean sheet record for us too.

What a bleedin goal.

Overhead for Bastian. Ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I'm erect!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement