Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

No bad feeling here about today.
    Comfortable win for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Reports of Eric Dier being a target. I've mentioned him in the past as a Carrick replacement and the more I think of it the more I want it. We need to buy some English players.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

No excuses today. Been nipping at heels for too long. Time to actually get above someone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

GSPfan wrote: »
    Reports of Eric Dier being a target. I've mentioned him in the past as a Carrick replacement and the more I think of it the more I want it. We need to buy some English players.

I'd be cautious simply because of the cost but he appears to be a really good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Just realised that no matter what happens today, if we win, we will be at least fifth and that with a game in hand over Liverpool.

Really shows how bad their start to the calendar year has been and we're still saying that in March!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

That press conference yesterday pretty much confirmed my belief that it is the clubs sole right to extend Ibra's contract if they choose but as a personal matter Ibra has requested it not be done until he can take stock in the summer, which Mourinho has agreed to.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

That press conference yesterday pretty much confirmed my belief that it is the clubs sole right to extend Ibra's contract if they choose but as a personal matter Ibra has requested it not be done until he can take stock in the summer, which Mourinho has agreed to.

I'd be really disappointed if he fecked off to China after a great season with us, but if we ended the season having won the EFL and Europa, maybe he might think he's achieved enough with us and will be happy to cash in for a massive payday?

Oh, and United draw/Liverpool win is the most popular double today among a group chat I'm in.

Early in the week I did also say there is nothing surer then us dropping points and Liverpool battering Arsenal but it is one of those scenario's where I would absolutely love to be proved foolish in my assertion.

I don't care about what happens in the later games, the win is all that matters. We have to keep winning, everything else will take care of itself.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'd be really disappointed if he fecked off to China after a great season with us, but if we ended the season having won the EFL and Europa, maybe he might think he's achieved enough with us and will be happy to cash in for a massive payday?

I'd be absolutely shocked if he ends up in China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

5 days rest. A team shipping goals to beat the band. No excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If United can't get a win today it's time to forget about Top 4.Bournemouth have 2 wins and 2 draws away this season but have yet to win in league this year and have conceded 17 goals in their last 6 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

We need to buy some GOOD English players...

Oh, and United draw/Liverpool win is the most popular double today among a group chat I'm in.

Early in the week I did also say there is nothing surer then us dropping points and Liverpool battering Arsenal but it is one of those scenario's where I would absolutely love to be proved foolish in my assertion.

I don't care about what happens in the later games, the win is all that matters. We have to keep winning, everything else will take care of itself.

Two home wins are what I'm expecting.

bangkok wrote: »

We need to buy some GOOD English players...

Tell me a good English player who we could realistically buy who we need?

Dier falls into that category for me.

I'd hope we would be aiming for better than that. He's a good player but we need better than him imo.
    The signing for that position is huge for the progress of the team imo. I'm sure Jose has someone in mind(no idea who) but would be surprised if it's Dier.

Love an early Saturday game. Makes the rest of the weekends games more enjoyable if we win.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Need to get a convincing win today and get above our rivals. Anything less than 3 points, then we honestly don't deserve top 4. C'mon United!!!!

yabadabado wrote: »
    If United can't get a win today it's time to forget about Top 4.Bournemouth have 2 wins and 2 draws away this season but have yet to win in league this year and have conceded 17 goals in their last 6 games.

Funnily enough, even though I was of that opinion earlier in the season, even if we don't win today, a combination of a decent run by us and some poor results by our rivals means we will still be right in the mix no matter what happens today.

It would be hugely disappointing to drop points today no doubt but it won't define the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

adox wrote: »
    Two home wins are what I'm expecting.

Same here,3 points today is a must and Im fully expecting Pool to win as well as they raise their game when they play one of the top sides and are top of the table for games between the top 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Love an early Saturday game. Makes the rest of the weekends games more enjoyable if we win.

Saturday 12:30 kick offs seem to be the most likely fixture to throw up a mad result.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Looking at the cup final last week, Ibra looked like he's killing himself to play to a top level. If he opted to move in the summer to a physically easier league (like the Italian one), I would be very sad but very grateful for the brilliant year he's given us.

I'd hope we would be aiming for better than that. He's a good player but we need better than him imo.
    The signing for that position is huge for the progress of the team imo. I'm sure Jose has someone in mind(no idea who) but would be surprised if it's Dier.

No harm in buying him and another player as we may find ourselves without Fellaini and Carrick after the Summer window which means we only have Pogba, Herrera as central midfield options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

M!Ck^ wrote:
    Who's getting that match winning thread up? Is the game on tele? Need to hit Bournemouth hard and early too, put the game to bed as croon as possible.

Also on sky sports mix for those without a sky sports subscription.

If he was ever going to feck off to China it would have been at the start of this season.

I fully expect him to be here next season. The only way he won't imo is if he feels he doesn't have another season in him performaning at the level he is.

I'd imagine he's loving his time at Utd. He's top scorer at the club and in the league and getting praise heaped on him. He will be loving that.

As much as a cartoon character he can be at times, we need players and personalities at the club like him. I honestly don't think his overall contribution this season can be overstated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Soccer Am is painful to watch. It's the same jokes they were milking 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Jayop wrote: »
    Soccer Am is painful to watch. It's the same jokes they were milking 15 years ago.

Helen has had a bit of work done id say

Should just replace her with Rachel Riley

Jayop wrote: »

Gave up watching after Lovejoy left.

Funnily enough I still watch him on Sunday mornings with Simon Rimmer on Sunday Brunch.

No harm in buying him and another player as we may find ourselves without Fellaini and Carrick after the Summer window which means we only have Pogba, Herrera as central midfield options.

Yeah true and he'd be a decent addition. Just not the player I'd want playing regularly behind Pogba and Herrera. I'd imagine he would cost huge money so would be bought as a potential regular if he was bought.

I think whoever we sign will be the most important signing in a long time.

Reports that Shaw will start today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Funnily enough, even though I was of that opinion earlier in the season, even if we don't win today, a combination of a decent run by us and some poor results by our rivals means we will still be right in the mix no matter what happens today.

It would be hugely disappointing to drop points today no doubt but it won't define the season.

What worries me most is that after being unbeaten for so long eventually we are going to lose games, and very possibly two or three games. We might not, but even apart from fatigue and fixture congestion the simple law of averages would say that we are going to hit a bad patch somewhere.

And if that happens we are going to drop from the pack like a hot potato. Unbeaten for months and we barely moved in the placings, if we dropped 4/5 points back at this stage you have to think it would be curtains.

Thats why todays game worries me, its a game we should be winning easily but multiple times this season that we haven't won games like these, and I feel that winning it is far more important than perhaps people realise, we absolutely cannot afford to drop points today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

IMG_20170304_113127.jpg

Shaw back in lineup and also rooney two fresh players.

I wouldn't buy any just for the sake of it. Dier wouldn't be an improvement on our squad and for the same price or even less we could sign Fabinho who can play both right back and defensive midfield and is excellent in both roles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Possible career defining game for Luke Shaw.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

jayo26 wrote: »
    IMG_20170304_113127.jpg

Shaw back in lineup and also rooney two fresh players.

Jones as well, bailly given the weekend off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Tyson Fury wrote: »

I agree. He needs to have a very solid game today

• Advertisement

Career defining? Lol

He is 21 ffs

I dont think so unless he is hauled off after 20 minutes or something.

Jose clearly said he believes in him so he is going to help him and build up his confidence.. He said he has the potential to be the number one left back if he works hard.

Yeah true and he'd be a decent addition. Just not the player I'd want playing regularly behind Pogba and Herrera. I'd imagine he would cost huge money so would be bought as a potential regular if he was bought.

I think whoever we sign will be the most important signing in a long time.

I rate him. I like his physical stature and that he likes a tackle. He's also a capable Centre Half if needed so id be fine if we bought him no matter what the money is. The fact he is English is the real selling point for me. We may lose Rooney Carrick and even Smalling might not be safe. Money is important but when it comes to English players I think we need some additions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Pretty slow line apart from full backs and Martial.. fully expect the fullbacks to be utilised to the full today so.. one thing about Bournemouth is that they try to play a good attacking brand of football so don't see them sitting back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Like the look of that. Would prefer Lingard or Rashford in for Mata to add a bit more pace but this should work well.

The problem could be that Bournemouth are a good footballing team and rather than go for the jugular with pace there is more of a footballing vibe to the United team.

• Advertisement

Eddie Howe misses the game today too he is at home with man flu.

So Shaw does start, CBs changed again and Herrera out with Rooney in.
    I'm slightly more worried now. Rooney is a concern but at least Carrick is behind him and it's Bournemouth we are playing.

Plenty of pace from both fullbacks. Mata will be the key player for Utd today.

You know we'll **** up any easy chance to move up the table, right?

jayo26 wrote: »
    Eddie Howe misses the game today too he is at home with man flu.

He's in bed with Ozil :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Happy with that line-up. Rojo always looks better at center back to me. Want to see Shaw get a run to his quality between now and the end of the season.

I wouldn't buy any just for the sake of it. Dier wouldn't be an improvement on our squad and for the same price or even less we could sign Fabinho who can play both right back and defensive midfield and is excellent in both roles

I don't disagree with Fabinho but we need to be careful with our homegrown quota. I assume we are getting low if Rooney and Carrick go.

He's in bed with Ozil :)

#vile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Career defining? Lol

He is 21 ffs

Poor game here and he's out the door, his career will certainly be affected.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Puts Phil Jones in FF team and Jose picks him.Next up is a 5-0 win.:)

Poor game here and he's out the door, his career will certainly be affected.

He hasn't played in ages. Jose isn't going to start him for the first time in god knows how long and then decide on his future over that 90 minutes. It's not how football works.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement