Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed One Way System in Athlone

• 26-01-2017 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

If this didn't work in 2008 why does the Council think it will work now? What has changed for them to try this again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

holyhead wrote: »
    If this didn't work in 2008 why does the Council think it will work now? What has changed for them to try this again?

Absolutely nothing, it would seem...

Can't be good for businesses in Church St. They should leave well enough alone. Athlone doesn't have the need nor the street layout for a one way system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Yup, it's another go at the 2008 plan. Nothing has changed, nothing is different. They still don't have the CIE field opposite the train station that was critical for it to work. They've prettied up the plans and added some nice new concept designs, but it's still the same bag of ****e underneath.
    There's no incentive to go through Church street, unless you're on your way home from Golden Island. Or you'll possibly bypass it completely and go over the bypass.

The thing to realise here, it won't just kill business in Church Street, it will kill business in the town. It'll end up conjested again and shoppers will just avoid the town completely, like they did in 2008, where they decided to go to places on the outskirts of town or to other towns completely.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

AFAIK - They are getting funding of €3million which has to be spent on town centre infrastructure and the best they could come up with is a re-has of the previous scheme. If they don't spend the money over 3 I think, they loose it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Would it not be a good idea to try the one way system east-west for say a month.

Then try one way west- east for a month.

See which works best and go with that.

Simple :) or am I missing something ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

pedestrianise a street or two would be better

• Advertisement

It'd be more in their line to buy up the site where O'Neill's stood and sort that junction out completely I'd have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

There's no Billy Brett to object this time. Council will get their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Can't be good for businesses in Church St. They should leave well enough alone. Athlone doesn't have the need nor the street layout for a one way system.
    Church St. isn't exactly suitable for two-way traffic either.

But it's nice to see people putting the interests of businesses over pedestrian safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

But it's nice to see people putting the interests of businesses over pedestrian safety.

It is true that around Mardyke House the street is very narrow but that could be easily solved with lights Ala stop go system. The system as proposed will put a fierce round on people coming from the bridge looking to go to Golden Island/Irishtown or the east side of Athlone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Don't see what all the fuss is about.
    I user the dual carriageway most of the time anyway as try to o avoid driving through town.

It will benefit me going West to East as I live on the "far side".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I don't see how the direction of traffic has any influence on business in town. It's not as if people can park outside them and drop in.

When's the last time you saw someone get run down in Church St? I'd go so far as to say a one way system might encourage traffic to drive a bit faster if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

One way system means they'll widen all the paths eventually
    that naturally causes cars to drive slower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I for one am in favour of our one way overlords.

Advertisement