Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions re Grass

Options
  • 26-01-2017 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

Garden size is 100 Sq M.

Its a newly built house, garden was seeded in last May. The grass isn't so thick and I can see the ground. There are few bald patches.

I mowed it to the shortest level and I mowed regularly. The last cut was over the last weekend. I learnt that I shouldn't been cutting to the lowest level?

I have always thrown the mowed grass in brown bin. Last weekend I didn't collect the grass but left it in the grass, is that wrong thing to do ?

I learnt that I should aerate the lawn. Can I do it now using the fork I have ?

I read that I should use fertiliser in Mar and then in Sep. is it Nitrogen I should be looking for ? Where can i buy it ? Are there agri / co-op stores around Dulin-15 area ?

Sorry for that many questions but I'm a newbie and eager to learn, so pls help :)

PFA

ergck0.png

Comments

The lawn is still relatively young.
    Feed the grass with a fertilizer come Spring and see if it improves.

You've alot of starlings feeding there. That could be signs of a leather jacket grubs. If it is they'd do the type of damage you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

TheTorment wrote:
    You've alot of starlings feeding there. That could be signs of a leather jacket grubs. If it is they'd do the type of damage you have.

Kids put some bread in the lawn that's why you see those birds. Which fertiliser should i use?

I put 10-10-20 on my lawn. Dont go mad with it or you will be cutting grass all the time.

TheTorment wrote: »
    I put 10-10-20 on my lawn. Dont go mad with it or you will be cutting grass all the time.

Thanks. Where can i get this 10-10-20 ? are there any agri stores near Dub-15 ?

Im afraid someone in or near the area may help here Im not near Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

You can get 10 10 20 in a 50kg sack in Drummond's in Clonee. Looking at the size of the lawn, that should do you a few years even if you'd share with your neighbours. It is relatively a lot cheaper than anything in B&Q or so. Not sure if they have it now as it is a spring/summer fertiliser. I would also wait putting anything on with high N number this time of year. I will be going there tomorrow to see if I can get some Nitrogen free fertiliser.

You can get 10 10 20 in a 50kg sack in Drummond's in Clonee. Looking at the size of the lawn, that should do you a few years even if you'd share with your neighbours. It is relatively a lot cheaper than anything in B&Q or so. Not sure if they have it now as it is a spring/summer fertiliser. I would also wait putting anything on with high N number this time of year. I will be going there tomorrow to see if I can get some Nitrogen free fertiliser.

You are right, they do sell it however they sell bag of 25KG for 25 euro. You can get a bag of 50kg for 20 from Whites in Lusk.

Advertisement