Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying medicine as a single parent

Options
  • 26-01-2017 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    I am a single mother of a 9 yr old. I am currently working as medical scientist but would really love to apply for graduate medicine in my local uni. I have told my employer that I intend to do a masters in biomedical science and have set about applying for this but now the thought of it is making me very anxious and discontented because it's still a lot of money for something I don't really enjoy doing. When I was with me ex he was always harping on at me to do my masters and I was never really sure why I was so reluctant to do so. Now I realise that my heart was never in it. I finished it out in college because financially I had no choice. Now I'm earning decent enough money (albeit through a lot of overtime) but I'm not happy and fulfilled. I don't receive any financial assistance from my ex. If I do get offered a place I will have to give up a good job. I was just wondering does anyone know if I will be entitled to a grant or financial assistance if I follow this route or is it only for single parents already on benefits? Would I be able to apply for part paid tuition fees? Has anyone out there done something similar to this? I would love to get some info and feedback on this. Cheers.p.s. I love humanities and science and that's why I think medicine would be more fulfilling for me both intellectually and emotionally. Straight science is rather cold and detached and I want to add a more humanistic dimension to my knowledge.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

UL offer scholarships.

Medicine is a very hard and long career path.

Will you be willing to work 70-90 hours per week for minimum 3 years (if you decide to do GP) post graduation.

If you decide against GP you can expect to work those hours until you reach consultant level.

Have you thought about what specialty you are interested in?

Money and morale are also poor.

Your basic salary at intern level is 30k. You may or may not get paid for the overtime you work depending on the hospital you are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Loua2345

Hi

Thanks for your reply and honest feedback. Yes the hours sound long and i would expect that.

I was looking at U.L and the scholarship there but I think they all have certain requirements that must be met. Perhaps I could look into it further.

Gp would be something I would be interested in or dermatology. I know the road is long and tough towards becoming a doctor and the money starting off isn't great but I guess it's the journey I'm looking at now and not the destination.

I've lived my life working towards getting a decent job but I'm not happy. I have a deep thirst for knowledge which probably isn't the best reason to become a doctor. A genuine desire to heal people and ease their pain is a far more noble reason and one which, despite being very rewarding, is not foremost in my mind.

But perhaps it's a bit too lofty a goal and I should look towards a more realistic one. There are other courses I could do that would be less arduous and still satisfy my need for learning.

Thanks again for your reply. I really appreciate it. Take care.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

What age are you out of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

What's the benefit? Education is a means to an end. So will you gain more from the course through money or job fulfilment than you'll put into it.

If yes, then go for it. If no, then don't bother. Write a list of pros and cons and Base your decision on that.

What did you decide OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 seoulone

Hi, I am very curious to find out what you decided, if anything.

I think you are very brave and I applaud you for wanting to fulfill your potential. I feel much the same way as you, and am also very scared of the uncertainty and also the lack of financial support. Did you contact UL directly to discuss the scholarships available? A friend of mine got the scholarship for grad med in Limerick, but she was on the dole beforehand. Seems not working is more of a reason to get a scholarship than those who work hard all their life. (bitter - me?) :) She also said that I would have a good shot at getting one as we have a mortgage etc and therefore would have no means to pay fees. So it's worth asking.

Would you try the GAMSAT at least once? The study for it would be interesting for you and then you could see how you do, and if you really enjoy the process you can try again. This might help you to really think about it becoming a reality.
    You have a lot of life and work ahead of you and I would really encourage you to go for it!
    Please keep this post updated. Wishing you luck

Advertisement