Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

extending without planning to include bathroom and bedroom

• 26-01-2017 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping someone here can help me.Basically my idea is to extend my elderly parents house to include a wetroom bathroom (for elderly) and possibly bedroom.House is 50 years old and would need rewiring as its the 2 wires at the moment with sockets on the ground in the skirtings.Plumbing would be the same I'd imagine. Apparently We cant extend putting new onto old.Was initially thinking of cabin type thing.The problem is my parents would be in the house.Is this doable at all,I could maybe move them for 2 weeks maximum.Plenty of room at the back .Would ideally lije them to move to a bungalow but thats not an option at the moment unfortunately .Any advice welcome please

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

snowbabe wrote: »
    I'm hoping someone here can help me.Basically my idea is to extend my elderly parents house to include a wetroom bathroom (for elderly) and possibly bedroom.House is 50 years old and would need rewiring as its the 2 wires at the moment with sockets on the ground in the skirtings.Plumbing would be the same I'd imagine. Apparently We cant extend putting new onto old.Was initially thinking of cabin type thing.The problem is my parents would be in the house.Is this doable at all,I could maybe move them for 2 weeks maximum.Plenty of room at the back .Would ideally lije them to move to a bungalow but thats not an option at the moment unfortunately .Any advice welcome please

If you are not going for planning, then try get someone to survey the site, put down on paper the max size you can build without planning and make that space work for what you want.

Have you got a budget for the works, as that may very well stipulate what size the extension can be.

Advertisement