Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if you're going to France on the bike this year....

• 26-01-2017 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭

....just note (yet) another new French law came into place, and yes, motorcyclists are affected too.

Certain cities will require your bike to have an emissions sticker displayed or your liable to an on-the-spot fine.

http://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/law-change-for-uk-drivers-in-french-cities/

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Another reason to get a ferry to S3pain.........or Holland into Germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

How do you even know what sticker you need? I checked the official site and nothing. Sounds poxy, on a certain day you might be refused entry to a particular city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cienciano wrote: »
    How do you even know what sticker you need? I checked the official site and nothing. Sounds poxy, on a certain day you might be refused entry to a particular city!

Why ? are they surrounded by a big wall and gates :D

listermint wrote: »
    Why ? are they surrounded by a big wall and gates :D

Oh yeah, I assume you can go in, but checks are done. If you had a custom or naked bike with no screen, I also assume you'd have to stick it somewhere visible. Hopefully our TD's don't get any ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Also, there's a new law in France making gloves mandatory on a moto. I haven't seen the details - because I have no intention of riding gloveless! I suppose it applies to pillions too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Also, there's a new law in France making gloves mandatory on a moto. I haven't seen the details - because I have no intention of riding gloveless! I suppose it applies to pillions too.

That's one law I agree with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....just note (yet) another new French law came into place, and yes, motorcyclists are affected too.

Certain cities will require your bike to have an emissions sticker displayed or your liable to an on-the-spot fine.

Thankfully it only applies to 3 cities - Paris, Lyon and Grenoble. Otherwise, not needed. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

meh..... done with Europe, back to Romania again this year for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just dont stop, you bike will be up on two blocks!!!!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Just dont stop, you bike will be up on two blocks!!!!
    Couldn't be farther from the truth! Couldn't have felt safer or more welcome wherever we went or whatever we did, every Romanian we met were warm, friendly and genuinely interested in who we were and why we chose to come there, it was a real eye opener, very like how I'd imagine Ireland or the uk would be in the 50's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

serious3 wrote: »

When did Romania leave Europe?

For all the pedants I'll clarify my statement, by Europe I meant France/Germany/Spain, all countries I've visited on my bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mecanno37

hardly pedantry, going by what you wrote, europe only consists of three countries :dizzy:

For all the pedants I'll clarify my statement, by Europe I meant France/Germany/Spain, all countries I've visited on my bike.

That's not pedantic! You just fúcked up. I expect a full apology PM'd to everyone on this thread along with a €10 amazon gift voucher code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That's not pedantic! You just fúcked up. I expect a full apology PM'd to everyone on this thread along with a €10 amazon gift voucher code

Maybe half a mars bar and a used sock filled with something else might be what you get:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,881 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Yep. That's exactly how it works. No sticker, no entry - there are control points, you will be told to turn around. There's "nothing" on the official site because the restrictions change from day to day and will be announced on information boards approaching the controlled zone and on the news. You're expected to know. Even with a sticker, you might not be allowed. In Grenoble this week, for example, only categories 1-3 were allowed in, and half of category 4 (odd/even number plates on different days)
    Paulw wrote: »
    Thankfully it only applies to 3 cities - Paris, Lyon and Grenoble. Otherwise, not needed. :D
    ... at the moment. 22 more to come
    Avignon - Communauté d’agglomération d’Avignon
    Arras - Communauté urbaine d’Arras
    Annemasse - Communauté d’agglomération d’Annemasse
    Bordeaux - Métropole de Bordeaux
    Cannes - Communauté d’agglomération du Pays de Lérins – Cannes
    Clermont-Ferrand - Métropole de Clermont-Ferrand
    Champlan
    Côte Basque-Adour - Communauté d’agglomération Côte Basque-Adour
    Dunkerque - Communauté urbaine de Dunkerque
    Dijon - Communauté urbaine de Dijon
    Epernay - Communauté d’agglomération d’Epernay
    Faucigny, Glières, Bonneville Communauté de communes Faucigny-Glières-Bonneville
    Grenoble - Métropole de Grenoble
    Lyon - Métropole de Lyon
    Lille - Métropole de Lille
    Le Havre - Communauté d’agglomération du Havre
    Montpellier - Métropole de Montpellier
    Paris - Mission de préfiguration de la Métropole du Grand Paris
    Reims - Métropole de Reims
    Rouen - Métropole de Rouen
    Saint-Etienne - Métropole de Saint-Etienne
    Strasbourg Métropole de Strasbourg
    Saint Maur-des-Fossés
    Toulouse - Métropole de Toulouse
    Vallée de la Marne - CA de la Vallée de la Marne

FWIW, Antwerp introduced a similar system last year.

Yep. That's exactly how it works. No sticker, no entry - there are control points, you will be told to turn around. There's "nothing" on the official site because the restrictions change from day to day and will be announced on information boards approaching the controlled zone and on the news. You're expected to know. Even with a sticker, you might not be allowed. In Grenoble this week, for example, only categories 1-3 were allowed in, and half of category 4 (odd/even number plates on different days)

My bike came in at a 3:D Not that riding in any busy city is fun in Irish bike gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....er, Romania is in....Europe....you have my address for the voucher 😀

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

Had a hired car recently in Germany and it had a sticker on the windshield stating which cities it could be driven in. Can see the point

Del2005 wrote: »
    My bike came in at a 3:D Not that riding in any busy city is fun in Irish bike gear.

Where do you check?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Well that's literally the worst come back ever!

Where do you check?

On the website in the OP it had a link. For some reason my browser didn't auto translate but my Inter Cert French got me through.

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/simulation

Think it might be a 2 not a 3, I miss read it the first time or my bike had improved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

I tried to get one but as they deliver it based on your 'registration details', it's obviously impossible.
    Filled in their contact form asking what to do as a foreigner and I'll post in here if I ever get a reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Loads more info on this site on low emission zones and other restrictions around Europe:

http://www.lowemissionzones.eu/index.php

Paris:
    http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/countries-mainmenu-147/france/paris
    Need to Register?
    There are stickers called "air quality certificates" (Certificats qualité de I’air) which are mandatory for French vehicles and from 1 February 2017 on also for foreign vehicles.
    For vehicles registered in France, the French LEZ stickers can be bought here now. Foreign vehicles will be able to buy their LEZ stickers in early January 2017. The website will offer an English interface, then in other languages. We will keep you updated on this website. In the meanwhile, we recommend that you have your vehicle papers, and proof of Euro standard with you when you travel in Paris.
    All vehicles can use this webpage to see what sticker their vehicle will receive.
    For details see "National Scheme".

Foreign vehicles affected?
    Foreign vehicles are also affected and need to display an emission sticker from 1 April 2017 on. The French government is likely to install a link on their site to order the sticker from outside the country. We will insert this information as soon as it is available.

Says foreign vehicles need the sticker from 1 Feb, then it says 1 April, it had better be the latter since there's still no sign of how foreign vehicles are supposed to comply

The EU should be organising a common system and then leaving it up to each city/area to decide what emission levels etc. they will let in. We're supposed to have a single market and free movement of road-legal vehicles between countries, after all.

Every country doing its own thing and having its own stickers is going to lead to chaos.

Scrap the cap!

Loads more info on this site on low emission zones and other restrictions around Europe:

http://www.lowemissionzones.eu/index.php

Paris:
    http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/countries-mainmenu-147/france/paris

Says foreign vehicles need the sticker from 1 Feb, then it says 1 April, it had better be the latter since there's still no sign of how foreign vehicles are supposed to comply

The EU should be organising a common system and then leaving it up to each city/area to decide what emission levels etc. they will let in. We're supposed to have a single market and free movement of road-legal vehicles between countries, after all.

Every country doing its own thing and having its own stickers is going to lead to chaos.

There is a common system. When I tried the simulation all it asked was what fuel my bike used and the Euro emissions standard my bike is. So my bike is Euro 3 compliant and it looks like they are banning Euro 1 or 2 petrol vehicles and all the filthy diesels. It's a better system than picking odd and even registration numbers.

There is a common system. When I tried the simulation all it asked was what fuel my bike used and the Euro emissions standard my bike is. So my bike is Euro 3 compliant and it looks like they are banning Euro 1 or 2 petrol vehicles and all the filthy diesels. It's a better system than picking odd and even registration numbers.

Yeah there's a common emissions testing system but how the owner proves they meet the level differs. Some places you have to register your number plate in advance, in others you get a sticker, then you go somewhere else and you need a different sticker... the implementation is a complete mess. There's not much point putting bikes through all this anyway as they don't sit for hours in traffic jams pumping out emissions to go nowhere. Some places are banning 2-strokes altogether though and it's hard to argue with that.

Scrap the cap!

Some places are banning 2-strokes altogether though and it's hard to argue with that.

I love the smell from a 2 stroke so they shouldn't be banned ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

How would this get in?.

I don't mind it myself but in sunny places it causes low level ozone pollution.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Silent Shrill

Is there an age limit for bikes? no nct for cars over 30 yrs here. How do they "guess" the emissions for let's say, an Indian bike? or can that data be found?

Advertisement