Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sram Force noise

Options
  • 26-01-2017 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

I'm using Sram Force 11 speed on a Focus Izalco. When I stop pedalling a very loud noise seems to be coming from the rear derailleur area. When I turn the pedals again it stops. Anyone else experience this, and any idea how to stop it happening? Could it be the jockey wheels need replacing? Cassette and chain are relatively new.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

When you stop pedalling, the chain stops moving, and the jockey wheels stop moving. So it seems to me, that your problem is not with the jockey wheels.
    Does the noise occur in all gears?
    Is your free hub in good condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What sort of very loud noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭BGT

I interchange wheels from time to time and it happens in both cases. Pretty sure free hubs are in good condition. The noise is not the clicking noise of a hub, more of a very loud grinding/rubbling sound. Only time I stop pedalling is generally on a descent when I'd be well down on the rear cassette.

Pie plate rubbing?

Or maybe b screw adjustment.

• Advertisement

The sound is not unlike carbon rim braking, but not as high pitched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I've heard this before. Its the sound of the Gods saying ' buy a new bike man, do it '

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

What wheels are they?

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    I've heard this before. Its the sound of the Gods saying ' buy a new bike man, do it '

I'm trying to avoid that sound....

Wheels are fairly high-end and relatively new Mavics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

When the bike is stationary, and you lift the back wheel off the ground and spin it, does the noise occur?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

Often come across this with Mavic wheels and only noticeable when freewheeling.You need the freehub removed, cleaned and especially check the freehub seal.
    Very much doubt it's anything to do with drive train

Eamonnator wrote: »
    When the bike is stationary, and you lift the back wheel off the ground and spin it, does the noise occur?

No. Only when freewheeling which of course my old coach used to warn me not to do 😱. Going to follow Doc's advice and will report back. Thanks for all the inputs, especially the one about the new bike, think electronic beckons.

Double post

Not surprised to hear that it's Mavics, though I was expecting to hear that you were on Aksiums, which seem to have a problem with a nylon bush in the freehub that can cause the symptoms your describing. A bit of googling might shed some more light/youtube videos of others with the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭TheDocMan

I've come across various noises/screaching sounds etc from Mavic equipes/elites/premium/sl and various Cosmics. Not always wear or age-related. As above that contact seal is usually source of problems and some general muc that's gotten in or built up.
    Fairly simple freehub to remove and clean/ work with but be careful of a slim spacer washer that often gets lost when removing.

Advertisement