Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longitude 2017

Options
  • 26-01-2017 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Does anyone here know when the dates for longitude are announced? I need to know as I will be booking a summer holiday soon and I don't want the dates to interfere with each other.

Also, what big names would you expect to be playing at longitude this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Hopefully we hear some news today!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

I'd expect it to be on 14th-16th July based on similar dates the past couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sineadkeo

I hear you, I want to book my 30th for flip sake! The tickets went on sale Friday, January 29th last year. I was expecting the announcement this week. Let's all cross our fingers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

For anybody who's been to longitude the last few years, do you know what the situation is with bringing kids?
    A quick Google has told me that in 2014 there was a family/kids area, and under 4's were free in (as long as accompanied by a ticketed adult etc), but can't find any similar advice or info from more recent years.

Considering bringing 3 year old this year for a day out and a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    For anybody who's been to longitude the last few years, do you know what the situation is with bringing kids?
    A quick Google has told me that in 2014 there was a family/kids area, and under 4's were free in (as long as accompanied by a ticketed adult etc), but can't find any similar advice or info from more recent years.

I wouldn't have thought they admit kids to it - it was a messy 16-18 aged crowd at it for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

DavyD, The Sunday of the 2016 version of this was fairly kid friendly - www.the-beatyard.com/. Had our kids (then 5 and 1) at it and it went well.

It's in Dun Laoghaire so if you're based around Dublin it's fairly handy

I'd be surprised if Longitude was very kid-friendly but have only ever been to one day of it a few years back so couldn't really say.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Tricky one. There is a play ground area in Marlay park. I noticed it last year when I got off the Marathon Sports bus. Inside it could be hit or miss. Obviously avoid the Red Bull Tent Area as the majority of teenager usually hang out there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

The Care & Safety section on the website has a children section, don't recall seeing any kids at it though..

http://www.longitude.ie/information/care-safety
    All under 16's must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who is over 18 years old.

Longitude Festival may feature material not suitable for children that we are unable to predict and classify due to the nature of live performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Where's the line up announcement for this.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

It's not been announced yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

just me, having been at it for last year years, id not be bringing me 2 and a half year old anywhere near it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Deffo dont bring kids

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

We must be due the first announcement soon for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Thanks for the feedback.
    Consensus seems to be too messy for kids, which is fair enough.
    Might just look for something a bit more suitable; will take a look at Beatyard as recommended and keep an eye out for others.

Will still consider a kid-free day out for ourselves.
    Waiting to see the lineup, although based on above I'm not sure I'll be anywhere near the target market for that either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Libertines playing a festival in the UK the weekend after typical Longitude timeframe so could possible see them headline. They're not as big here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

lc180 wrote: »
    Libertines playing a festival in the UK the weekend after typical Longitude timeframe so could possible see them headline. They're not as big here though.

Could easily see them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Really thought we would have heard something by now. Is it the same people who organise EP & Longitude? If so maybe that is why the Picnic line up is out a few weeks later as well, so that they don't take away from one anothers sales. Think I read somewhere that Latitude will be announced on March 1st so maybe Longitude will be the same day!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I think Longitude is MCD, the people behind the Oxegen festival.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Festival Republic run both, which is co-owned by MCD and Live Nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I can't see it going ahead this year. The fact that there's been no announcement yet and there's those gigs announced for Trinity and Malahide Castle makes me think they might leave it.

• Advertisement

I can't see it going ahead this year. The fact that there's been no announcement yet and there's those gigs announced for Trinity and Malahide Castle makes me think they might leave it.

I think they recently announced on one of their socials that they're gonna make a big announcement soon. I can't see the big announcement being that there's no festival. I still think they'll be something this summer, although there's been no announcement so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

I'll eat my hat if the Weeknd doesn't headline this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

This surely can't go ahead now. They don't even have dates announced, and MCD are also the promoters of the Trinity concerts.

I'd imagine the big announcement is "we're taking a year off but will be bigger than ever in 2018"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

This surely can't go ahead now. They don't even have dates announced, and MCD are also the promoters of the Trinity concerts.

I'd imagine the big announcement is "we're taking a year off but will be bigger than ever in 2018"

It's not looking great is it? It could still go ahead but their communication has been woeful. No dates announced, no line-up announcement. No announcement of when the line-up is due out/keeping people in the loop.

Did think the line-up at Trinity would be acts playing Longitude usually and around the same time, unless they're going with more pop and dance orientated acts like last year..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

posted this on another thread, but Jim Carroll said last week the it is going ahead, and Frank Ocean is one of the headliners.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/ontherecord/2017/02/07/just-what-is-going-on-with-longitude/
    We’re also waiting to find out if Marlay Park will be the venue, especially as there are no other big shows announced for the park this summer which would allow the expense of the site build to be put against different cost centres. Meanwhile, there are also no tickets on sale so no way for the promoters to gauge appeal and, more importantly, make some pre-gig bankroll.

Regardless of what is causing the hold-up with the announcement, we understand from our sources that this year’s event is going ahead and it’s believed that Frank Ocean will be the main name of interest on the bill. That makes sense seeing as he is also playing the Live Nation-owned London festival Lovebox that weekend. Of course, all of this depends on if Longitude is actually on the same weekend as it’s usually on. More, no doubt, later.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Did think the line-up at Trinity would be acts playing Longitude usually and around the same time, unless they're going with more pop and dance orientated acts like last year..

that's my thinking too. surely the likes of Two Door Cinema Club, BellX1 and alt-J are acts that you'd expect based on previous years. Pixies headlining wouldn't have been that odd really. if they're going for a completely pop/rap/dance lineup this year then the bands would be fairly out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I think they recently announced on one of their socials that they're gonna make a big announcement soon. I can't see the big announcement being that there's no festival. I still think they'll be something this summer, although there's been no announcement so far

Did this happen? I can't see it on their facebook page anywhere, maybe they announced on another form of social media. Surely if they weren't going to run with it this year they would have announced it by now, they would get a lot of abuse if they announced this late that it wasn't going ahead. At worst maybe it is going to move to another venue.

I would think Frank Ocean, Kasabian & the Weekend could be candidates to headline.

Did this happen? I can't see it on their facebook page anywhere, maybe they announced on another form of social media. Surely if they weren't going to run with it this year they would have announced it by now, they would get a lot of abuse if they announced this late that it wasn't going ahead. At worst maybe it is going to move to another venue.

I would think Frank Ocean, Kasabian & the Weekend could be candidates to headline.

Yeah I can't find it now either but I swear they posted it. It was discussed briefly in the Irish Gigs discussion/ rumour thread. If they deleted it then maybe there is bad news awaiting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭neddynono

Yeah I can't find it now either but I swear they posted it. It was discussed briefly in the Irish Gigs discussion/ rumour thread. If they deleted it then maybe there is bad news awaiting :(

The big announcement post was on the fake longitude festival page which has been taken down

I know Lattitude is announcing on 1st March so maybe they're waiting til then? Electric Picnic isn't on til September and they're announced by 20th Match so if there's no news by early March I reckon it's a non-runner. I do still think it will go ahead but you'd think they'd at least have a post to reassure people at this stage. But maybe not one of their priorities at the momen!

• Advertisement

First time listening to Frank Ocean properly. Blonde seems kinda low-key, are his other albums bit more livelier? Not saying I don't like his stuff, just hard to see it as headline material from that album anyways!

Advertisement