Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longitude 2017

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Well there seems to be a discussion in After Hours anyways. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057764035

"Longitude Crushed" is trending on Twitter.

Good reviews for The Weeknd and Bottlemen but seems to have been a strictly under 18s event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

"Longitude Crushed" is trending on Twitter.

Good reviews for The Weeknd and Bottlemen but seems to have been a strictly under 18s event.
    The Friday/Saturday always is. The Sunday crowd/lineup is more "mature"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Judging by some of the pics from the Longitude facebook feed, the festival got some decent looking weather anyway, Galway was horrible yesterday, its amazing how different the weather in this country is over the space of a 150 km.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone had any problems getting parked in Marley park?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Fantastic two days.

I'm young enough myself, 22, so maybe I'm biased but some of the rubbish from older people is ridiculous.

The crowd was grand. Saw one scuffle over the first two days and it ended in around two seconds. Cracking atmosphere. Cracking weather. Extremely chill during the day - everyone sitting around soaking up the sun. Sure there was some eejits BUT you can find them everywhere, can't live your life trying to avoid people you don't enjoy. Crowd was a bit pushy when nearer to the front of the main stage, the usual entitled 16 year old girls who arrive 30 minutes into an act thinking they should be at the front but again you find these anywhere and not just younger people, I've shoved at gigs by people much older than me. Entitlement is an issue there.

Kaleo were super. Youngr was phenomenal - great party atmosphere and he was loving it. Only gave him a first listen two weeks ago but he was just awesome. All Tvvins good too. Was ''around'' for several other acts but wasn't paying too much attention. Kaytranada was alright, not my kinda music, very slow and bare at times - I just don't get the attraction of a metronome ticking for 5 minutes straight with occasional other sounds. Dave was good, he was overwhelmed by the crowd, albeit a small enough crowd but it was nice to see. Dua Lipa was good fun, great voice. Saw bits of Stormzy but left early to make sure I got on a bus.

The Weeknd - say what you want about the crowd he attracts, but I have never experienced an atmosphere so good. Everyone had an amazing time and he was cracking live.

Transport wise - absolutely shocking. Why in the name of god don't Dublin bus just have extra buses running? Got out last night after The Weeknd and only two buses I saw, both weren't full and refused to stop. No taxis, only the shuttle bus running to the Luas which had a ridiculous cue. Ended up stranded in Stepaside till 1am. Really putting me off going today, think I'll give it a miss. Maybe I should have planned better but I guess I was foolish and hopeful after getting home so easy Friday night.

Overall, had a great time. The crowd was young, but grand. Vast majority of people were there to listen to music. Sitting at home in your armchair just predicting it was carnage because young people went, come off it. We are as entitled to attend events just as older people are. Sorry if you had a worse experience than mebut some people are just unlucky and run into trouble unfortunately and that's life. Getting in for me - I actually breezed through the Saturday and was a bit slow the Friday but I expected as such. Tickets checked, bag searched, got a pat down, metal detector etc. How so many people claim a completely different experience baffles me...but the culture of complaining is real in Ireland and I'd question the validity of people saying no searches were carried out? No one I saw in the queue ahead of me got through without a pat down or search with a bag. But I say again, some people are unlucky and always have a worse experience than others. Regards the crush, a shame alright but that's what happens when you have bottlenecks and impatient people who don't plan properly and get there 5 minutes before an act they want to see.

• Advertisement

Nice review John.

So how was Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

So how was Sunday?
    5th time at Longitude and fear it may be my last.

I was with a group of 33-year-olds, always felt the Sunday was the more grown up day. This year was a bit different. Very young crowd yesterday, very busy, big queus at the Heineken and Bacardi bars.

On the music front, Milky Chance were the starts of the show for me. Perfect music and set for the afternoon sun. Villagers were very dour. He came onstage and told us he'd play some relaxing stuff first, then rock the place later. Well, the rock never came. Their main hit (Nothing Arrived), they played as a slow acoustic version which was the last straw for a lot of people. Mumford were good, enjoyed their set. Not too sure about the African bit in the middle, seemd to lost a lot of the crowd for that.

Logistics I agree Dublin Bus could have done more 16's to get people out there, but there was a line of 20-30 of them after the gig getting people direct back to Westmoreland Street. No queues getting in.

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I thought it was good but agree with Shedite, I was pretty surprised at how young the crowd was. I am 28 and I felt old.

Milky Chance were on way too early in the day, they were brilliant. Glass Animals after them were pretty meh. Saw Villagers next, they were ok but too many slow songs and they just have that en vogue mopey, nasally sound going on, hung around for Jack Garratt after but could only stand about 5 minutes of that ****e, Mumford and Sons were very good at the end.

Bar queue at the main stage was pretty bad, but not as bad elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Had great craic at this. Weather was perfect, some fantastic live performances, food options were as good as you could ask for, and the stage setups were all fairly decent.

Yeah the crowd is young (I'm 26), but tbh, I expected that and it doesn't bother me much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

First time at Longitude yesterday, probably my last too. I've always wanted to go purely because of how convenient it is (I was able to walk home ), but the lineup has never grabbed me. It didn't grab me this year either but decided to pick up a Sunday ticket just to mill around and listen to whatever was on. The crowd was young alright but I didn't see anyone causing problems, there were just FAR too many people packed into the area. I've been to plenty of other festivals, both in Ireland and abroad, and this was the most tightly packed I've been at by a distance. Moving around and queuing for a pint were a bit of a pain, although I found getting drink in the main area after about 7 was actually not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

The lack of responses in this thread is a good indication of the age profile of the average boards user. Obviously not too many in their early 20's

Advertisement