Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longitude 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

So, why would they have delayed the announcement for Stormzy? Is it just me or could it suggest another act might have pulled the plug?

I like Stormzy but as a headline act for a festival it's far from ideal.
    i'd say that's exactly what happened.
    probably held off announcing Stormzy last week as they were scrambling to get someone else, then just decided to bump him up to headliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Knex. wrote: »
    I can't help but compare the lineup to last year and see a massive difference in the quality of it. Fair enough, as music is subjective and others will likely see this year as an improvement, but I'm disappointed, being honest.

190 quid and I'd honestly argue that even the Friday last year has a better standard than the whole 3 days this year.

To me this year it's just The Weeknd plus some mediocre artists. I'm tempted to go on Saturday but if I do I'll show up just before The Weeknd is due to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Stormzy and Picture This will help pull a decent crowd tho . Might go for Sunday if do go

He's playing the Olympia soon and Picture This are playing the Olympia 5 f**king times, the Marquee Cork twice and Belfast all before Longitude.

Tis Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Rob094

GarIT wrote: »
    To me this year it's just The Weeknd plus some mediocre artists. I'm tempted to go on Saturday but if I do I'll show up just before The Weeknd is due to start.

If you're going to buy a ticket for the Saturday you may as well get the value of it and see Skepta. He won the Mercury Prize last year and is far from mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

I genuinely just don't understand this Picture This... Like I thought they were just a lil ol' Oirish couple of blokes and an acoustic guitar. I heard that one song months ago and completely dismissed it. And now subheadlining at Longitude..??

Nah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Rob094 wrote: »
    If you're going to buy a ticket for the Saturday you may as well get the value of it and see Skepta. He won the Mercury Prize last year and is far from mediocre.

Not my type of thing. And I disagree about the far from mediocre part. I don't think there has ever been a talented grime artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bladeserver

That is the worst festival line up in Ireland in years. Absolute money grab by MCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 EvaSwitch2

Each to their own - some people might really enjoy this line up! It even possibly opens up Longitude to a more mainstream crowd and might get more people interested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

That is the worst festival line up in Ireland in years. Absolute money grab by MCD.

But this is it. This will definitely sell out.

What's the difference between a 'bad' festival that sells out and a 'good' festival that sells out. Nothing to the people that matter.

I know it's been seen and said countless times, but as a nation the Irish FOMO and yearn to shell out for mediocrity to keep up appearances/seem cool has gotten to ludicrous levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bladeserver

EvaSwitch2 wrote: »
    Each to their own - some people might really enjoy this line up! It even possibly opens up Longitude to a more mainstream crowd and might get more people interested in it.

Of course but comparing it to previous years it's exceptionally weak. I was at it every year since it started and there was always a great balance between commercial/emerging/headliners. In regards to getting more people interested there was queues in to tents last year suggesting how busy it was so I have no reason to believe they did it to attract more people. If anything they are targeting teens and a younger crowd.

FYI - In regards to the festival it's just my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

lc180 wrote: »
    He's playing the Olympia soon and Picture This are playing the Olympia 5 f**king times, the Marquee Cork twice and Belfast all before Longitude.

Tis Madness

Madness alright. And they have what a 5 track EP out? Might just about fill a festival set with that but what do they do at their headline gigs?

Stormzy is a bit of a weird one alright. Got a decent crowd last year but don't see him as headline material. Fair enough his debut album has been out since but even still.

Thought last year's line-up was decent, not unbelievable by any means but this years doesn't do much for me. At the end of the day they're def aiming for younger demographic, probably one of the youngest festivals with 16+ allowed in.

I know Body and Soul is going to 20s+ (no idea how they're going to enforce it) but dunno would there be huge crossover in 18/19 yos going to Longitude instead.

Either way, feel fecking old..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Was hoping the Friday headliner would put some gloss on this year but wow, that is now an exceptionally weak line-up. A real shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

MattD wrote: »
    I genuinely just don't understand this Picture This... Like I thought they were just a lil ol' Oirish couple of blokes and an acoustic guitar. I heard that one song months ago and completely dismissed it. And now subheadlining at Longitude..??

Nah.

Ridiculously popular with the young folk. The crowds they got at the Picnic last year was mental

Synode wrote: »
    Ridiculously popular with the young folk. The crowds they got at the Picnic last year was mental

Yeah guess MCD could be playing the long-game too, get young people in with these acts and hopefully those same people will come back for 4 or 5 years/get their mates to go etc.

Bar the Sunday last year when the National played, it was a very young festival last year I thought. Not sure a huge amount of people in 25-30 bracket will be going to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

If they were targeting 16-20 year olds they would have got a big dj. Read the Longitude social media and you'll see what the youngsters think. Picture This is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 NiveaForMen94

Does anyone know or even have an idea if the 3 day tickets could be sold out by the end of the month? Demand seems a lot higher this year and I don't want to miss getting a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Maz1234

Bought Friday pre sale tickets cos I thought the Calvin Harris & chainsmokers poster was true ðŸ™႒ Don't even know who stormzy is fml

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

I'm very happy with the line up but can understand people's disappointed. It really depends on people's taste if music - the Friday and Saturday headliners are in the hip hop rap genre, massive names in the Industry at the moment but not really in Ireiand unfortunately

Also demand is much higher this year so obviously that says something about the board users here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

Two big nights of rap and one of rock seems a big mistake. They should have gotten a more dance/DJ heavy line-up for at least one of the nights, to cover more bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Stormzy played last year at around 5pm?? Has his little cameo with Ed Sheeran at the Brits propelled him to a headlining slot? Shocked he is headlining. Skepta is a way better grime artist anyway. As for Picture This? Christ, sub headlining a festival on the back of a few songs?? They are very popular but they were still playing pubs about a year ago. Weird one.

The Weekend and Mumford and sons whether you like them or not are decent headliners but Friday is a bit silly to try pawn off on us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Agree 100%. I didn't think it was possible for the line up to get worse than what was announced last week and it somehow has. That has to be one of the weakest set of headliners across Europe all summer. Music taste is subjective so I can only speak on my own behalf of course.

2013 - Phoenix, Vampire Weekend, Kraftwerk, Foals, Villagers, Yeah Yeah Yeahs

2014 - Ben Howard, Disclosure, Massive Attack, Bastille, HAIM, James Vincent McMorrow

2015 - Hozier, Alt J, Chemical Brothers, The Vaccines, Caribou, James Blake

2016 - Kendrick Lamar, Major Lazer, The National, The Lumineers, Run the Jewels, Jamie XX

2017 - Stormzy, The Weekend, Mumford & Sons, Picture This, Skepta, Jack Garratt

Maybe it just isn't to my tastes but that set of headliners is awful compared to previous years in both quality and variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

I think the quality of some of the line up is great but the variety is definitely atrocious. Will only suit certain people this year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

GarIT wrote: »

For me it's mediocre all round unfortunately, was hoping the other days would have decent lineups because have no time for The Weeknd at all. Will be giving this a skip this year sadly, even one day would have saved it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Any idea when the stage times are likely to be announced? Or at least more detail on which acts are performing on which day? Interested in Catfish and the Bottlemen but not willing to fork out for a weekend ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Saturday tickets purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Saturday day tickets sold out already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Bollox!

Saturday day tickets sold out already.

Really? Anyone know when they sold out last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Blut2

A lot of times tickets "sell out" very far in advance like this to generate hype...but then mysteriously in a month or twos time they come back on the market somehow.

I'd be shocked if Saturday tickets were actually sold out 5 months in advance; Irish people don't usually plan that far ahead. In previous years its always only been within 1month ish when day tickets sell out.

• Advertisement

Blut2 wrote: »
    A lot of times tickets "sell out" very far in advance like this to generate hype...but then mysteriously in a month or twos time they come back on the market somehow.

I'd be shocked if Saturday tickets were actually sold out 5 months in advance; Irish people don't usually plan that far ahead. In previous years its always only been within 1month ish when day tickets sell out.

Does seem a bit mad alright! Looked back, Saturday sold out 2 weeks before it last year and had breakdown of acts playing at that stage..

Anyone buying today just know the Weekend and Skepta are playing the Saturday and that's it.

Advertisement