Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst landlord ever stories

• 26-01-2017 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Mine is an all round nightmare.

She and her husband come to stay in the third bedroom at random, which is usually about 7 months of the year despite the room ad not mentioning this. When they're here they take over the house, her control freak nature makes any interaction a daily dread and the bathroom we share permanently smells of her sh1t.

She puts up the rent year on year and rearranges furniture or cancels/changes phone or internet or tv services as she pleases. She also has Daily loud rows with her estranged son on the phone and will b1tch about her daughter in law to anyone who will listen.

Why do I stay? Well, London. Budget. Location. Plans to move in with de fella that keep getting set back due to work schedules. And I'm determined to get a book out of the old wagon some day.

What are your worst landlord stories?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Bambi985 wrote: »
    Mine is an all round nightmare.

She and her husband come to stay in the third bedroom at random, which is usually about 7 months of the year despite the room ad not mentioning this. When they're here they take over the house, her control freak nature makes any interaction a daily dread and the bathroom we share permanently smells of her sh1t.

You aren't a tenant though. You have a license agreement meaning you are living with the owner, which means they aren't a landlord. So you aren't a tenant

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Are they allowed to come and occupy the house at will? Surely there has to be some rule against that. Unless stated in the lease? :eek:

I'd be on my toes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I guess you are just renting a room.
    At least you get 5 months free from her.

So not all bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

xzanti wrote: »
    Are they allowed to come and occupy the house at will? Surely there has to be some rule against that. Unless stated in the lease? :eek:

I'd be on my toes.

Checked the contract on it before alright and it said

"LANDLORD has right to come and occupy empty room for a

previously stated period of time. In such case LANDLORD will supply

TENANT(S) with no less than a week's notice of all times that LANDLORD

will be in residence."

Her son showed me the room as she spends the rest of the year in the US and Asia where they have homes too (they're minted old misers) and he said they tend to be in the house "for a month or two" as part of a casual conversation. Not much recourse on what was a non-binding verbal conversation from what I can see though.

will be out of there within a month or two, it's just been put off due to crazy busy work schedules and inability to save due to unforeseen expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

I had one that was a right weirdo.
    I rented a two-bed housheen from her, at the rear of a bigger unoccupied house that she also owned.
    Anyway. I started seeing my now husband, and he used to stay over, as you do. As luck would have it, I left before him one morning so when she did one of her sly "inspections", he was there and I wasn't.
    So I got summoned to a meeting and presented with a list of rules.

He wasn't to park his jeep in the yard incase it dirtied her "lovely tarmac". It, and all his work gear that was in it, was to be left out on the main road.
    Rent was being increased by 30% due to the fact that I was now "sub-letting" (I wasn't)
    I was to contribute a few hundred Euro to landscaping work she wanted done at the back of the house.
    I was to close the front gate at all times and never leave a window open when I wasn't in (this one's fair enough).

I moved out a few weeks later, and the place is still empty :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

A good few years ago, OH and I were living in a nice little cottage but it was in the middle of nowhere so we were desperate to get somewhere close to work and stuff. Went to look at a one bed apartment and it was alright on the surface and a good location for us so we had a small look around and signed the lease.

A month later, we moved in and when you looked deeper, the place was in bits. There were dirty dishes in the press, the floor was sticky! I don't know if the previous tenant had a party or something before leaving. There was a used toilet brush, ugh and there were children's clothes hanging in the wardrobe which was a bit creepy.

She popped round that day and I was so annoyed. Im fairly laid back but this was a joke. I took all the crap that was left and piled it up in the hall and called her to come and get it. I told her I was disgusted and spent the day cleaning other people's mess. She was very apologetic and looked embarrassed but she didn't really give a **** otherwise she would have had it cleaned. We did get on alright after that though. I never really liked living there though after my first impression.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

:confused:

when you say sh!t ...do you mean sh!t or do you mean her shampoo deodorant perfume etc ?

philstar wrote: »
    :confused:

when you say sh!t ...do you mean sh!t or do you mean her shampoo deodorant perfume etc ?

haha no, literal sh1t. she stinks man. undiagnosed ibs or something i reckon. she's the loudest and smelliest toilet-goer you can imagine.

haha no, literal sh1t. she stinks man. undiagnosed ibs or something i reckon. she's the loudest and smelliest toilet-goer you can imagine.

oh joy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

when I have a week to spare.... rolls up sleeves!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 CeeCeeMack

Ugh mine was bad. This guy didn't technically own the house but this was in New York and the actual owner lived in Ireland so this guy was the house manager or whatever.

Signed a lease and moved in with my friend. Things got bad very quickly. The house manager was a big drinker and tried to kiss me and I refused because 1) he was gross and talked constantly about how much money he made and 2) thought it might make things awkward. It got awkward anyway. He actually lived in the apartment below and started letting himself into our apartment and stole ALL of my food, down to every last can of tuna. Before I had a lock on my bedroom door, he came in drunk and jumped on top of me and tried to demand sexual favors.

Then it got worse. He would get really drunk and verbally abuse us, my female roommate ended up punching him. Cops were called on her but no charges were brought as this happened in the Deli and the cops said he didn't really have a case as he'd grabbed her first so it was self-defense.

At this point we were desperately looking for a new apartment but it was the dead of winter, mid snow storm so no apartments available. House manager called landlord back in Ireland told him we were refusing to move so landlord called his buddy who was in a biker gang and had them wait outside the house at night for a few days to try and intimidate us into moving (A BIKER GANG. WE WERE TWO 22 YEAR OLD FEMALES).

Sorry for the long post but I swear there were so many incidents. He eventually got arrested for harassment and we moved out a few days later when he was at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I only had one landlord and he was as sound as a pound. He said he was increasing the rent with next tenant. He'd kept it the same because he was happy with me as a tenant.

I'd say it is stressful to be a landlord too.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've never met my landlord, it's great :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I only had one landlord and he was as sound as a pound. He said he was increasing the rent with next tenant. He'd kept it the same because he was happy with me as a tenant.

I'd say it is stressful to be a landlord too.

pfft, not as stressful as living in a big city like london or dublin where landlords can increase rent as they please because the demand is so ridiculous and there's always someone willing to move in.

your landlord sounds decent though, not a money-grabbing sociopath like mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

pfft, not as stressful as living in a big city like london or dublin where landlords can increase rent as they please because the demand is so ridiculous and there's always someone willing to move in.

Well..it's probably nice to be in a position of having property to rent out in the first place. Not the worst complaint. I have heard a few horror stories about them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Pretty much every landlord I've had in Dublin since about 2002 has been mad in one way or another. I've had everyone from cops, criminals, farmers as landlords. The worst was a guy with dementia (or at least I think he had it). He lived in a mews cottage next to the house and would regularly walk into our house thinking it was his own. One morning he walked into my bedroom and was just standing there staring at me. It was pretty freaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Was going to college in UL. Moved into a house, but let the landlord know beforehand it'll be 2 weeks before I have the deposit. She said that wasn't an issue so I thought all was good.

Came down the following Sunday without a deposit thinking me giving it in a weeks time like I had agreed was perfectly alright. Got a phone call when I was just near the house to tell me had I the deposit. I told her I'd have the the following week as our arrangement was clear. When I told her that she said 'well I have your banjo so when you have the money for the deposit I'll give you it back'. The ****er had gone into my room and taken my tenor banjo that costs well over a thousand and had it in her house until I gave her the deposit for the house. I gave out hell to her. I told her that was illegal and I wanted it back straight away. She didn't budge. I didn't know what to do, and I couldn't ring my parents because they were out of the country at the time.

Eventually after a few hours I said I'm taking my stuff out of her house and I'll stay somewhere else and I wanted my belongings back. She met me and was seemed really jumpy. I took it, said nothing to her and stayed with one of the lads until I got sorted the following week. Lucky escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Well..it's probably nice to be in a position of having property to rent out in the first place. Not the worst complaint. I have heard a few horror stories about them too.

Lots of Landlords now are accidental landlords tho....and are still in negative equity from the crash, where the income from rent doesn't cover the mortgage but had to leave the house for various reasons. Not everything is always as it "probably" seems!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

We had a landlord who decided to build another house in the garden of the house we were renting without letting us know. One day they just rocked up, drove a digger through the fence, crushed my kids swing set and set to work. They left the building site unsecured, our back garden was full of giant holes, it was just a mess. We had a toddler at the time and it wasn't at all safe. When we complained, he told us he would knock a 100e off our rent that month.

We ended up moving out over it and took him to the PRTB, We got a lot more than 100 off the rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I've never met my landlord, it's great :pac:

they're the best ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

A lot of Irish landlords seem to have major issues handing over the keys and staying away from the property.

So many are on usually to say its a business and that which is fine but then many seem to have some attachment to the property such as what's in it etc. This is where they need to detach away from that thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

steddyeddy wrote: »
    A lot of Irish landlords seem to have major issues handing over the keys and ataying away from the property.

It's ****ing weird. Best landlord I ever had handed over he keys on the day I moved in and I didn't see him again until the day I moved out.

I don't mind them calling around to take a look at the place every now and again if they text ahead but some of them have the place ****ing haunted. Don't rent to people if you don't trust them not to collapse the building on itself!

Been lucky with mine
    Viewed places with total crazy people running them though

bluewolf wrote: »
    Been lucky with mine
    Viewed places with total crazy people running them though

Crazy cat lady???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

When i was studying we'd have 3-4 weeks off at Christmas so we all tended to head home for the few weeks.

One year coming up to the xmas break before we went we informed the landlady that there seemed to be a bit of damp in one of the upstairs ceilings and should we ask one of our friends in to look at it(Apprentice craftsmen studying nearby) she said no leave it she'd get the husband to sort it as he was a plumber.

We went off on our break and when we came back there was water coming down the stairs and upstairs the ceiling in my bedroom had collapsed through with the sheer weight of water, the telly in the sitting room had got soaked too and blown up and we were homeless for 3 weeks, luckily for us we had some decent friends and we all got sorted with couches to kip on and surely outstayed our welcome but could've been a lot worse :mad:

Can't imagine the money she must've had to pay to get the place fixed because the husband was too lazy to go up and have a look :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I lived in a two bed flat with a friend in Galway, just off St Mary's Road. It wasn't a stand alone flat, it was a house that had been divided in two. Landlord (widowed man) in one part, tenants in the other. There was a connecting door between the two apartments. The kitchen was shared between both, and the heating controls in our part. So we had to put up with the LL cooking kippers at 7 am for his breakfast, and coming in ostensibly to adjust the heating. I only managed to stay for 3 weeks... He wrecked my head... We couldn't have friends over because he always barged in to the living room and wanted to know what they were doing there. On my last night we went to the pub and I ended up bringing a guy back who stayed the night.. passed out in my room with the lights on. LL looked in the window saw the beardy chap, exclaimed 'what the Fuk' and stormed in demanding explanations....... Guy helped me move flats!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Bazzo wrote: »
    Don't rent to people if you don't trust them not to collapse the building on itself!

I'm a Landlord myself and there's hardly anything in the World I'd love more than to get a phonecall in the morning saying that place has burned to the ground!

(As long as nobody got hurt).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

When I was at uni, we moved into a house in Tottenham. Paid deposit and first months rent and no sign of the landlord for 7 months. We tried contacting him several times but his phone was dead. His wife called around during month 8 to collect the rent. We asked her where landlord was and she told us he was in prison for fraud. Made sense as red bills and solicitors letters were piling up in the hall for him. Under about 50 different company names.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Had a landlord once who to be fair didn't bother us too much, but he was notoriously tight. Whenever something needed to be done in the house he'd find the cheapest way possible to do it. But one day, to our great surprise, he decided that the window frames needed painting. They were the sort of windows that had lots of small panes in them and they were in pretty poor condition. One day a guy arrived to paint them and we all headed out for the day. We came back later to find the doorstep, window sills and just about every other visible surface covered in paint splatters. On closer inspection we saw that the old paint hadn't been scraped off the frames and was just painted over. The following day someone went to open a window and couldn't. Every single window in the house had been painted shut. It turned out that the "painter" was actually a mate of the landlord and he was in fact a builder, who often are noted for not being the cleanest workers. It took several weeks to get all the windows sorted so that we could open them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Wow, some of these stories makes me feel so lucky with the landlord I had.
    Bit of a contrary fella, but left us alone and was fair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭MrRolex

I have had the best and worst landlords (and landlady's) over the years.
    And I have been a landlord myself so see things from both sides.
    So I have had the best and worst of tenants too.
    That is just to be expected really. Houseshares can work well, and sometimes be a nightmare for all concerned.
    But one thing I have learned the hard way is, never live with an alcoholic, or drug addict (or both!) This applies to both tenants and landlords as I have lived with both.
    And never live with a house owner. Renting a room in a houseshare is one thing, but living with your landlord is another.
    Cutting those things out, solves most of the common problems for both tenant and landlord.
    But don't get me wrong, I am no angel either. I nailed one landlady's daughter. That didn't go down well, but she didn't kick me out.
    However when I nailed another one of her daughters at a house party, that really crossed the line and she kicked me out. Fair enough I suppose, I was having my cake and eating it. It was good fun in that house while it lasted though. Some of the house parties were memorable.
    My worst landlady used to steal my food, and charge me for heating oil that was never delivered. She also loved altering the heating so cold showers in the mornings. It reached breaking point when she used a whole litre of milk I bought, before I had a drop.
    The next morning I found out when I had no milk for my breakfast, despite buying a litre for that specific reason the night before.
    And so I moved out. Then she tried to withold my deposit for electric. Things got nasty then. Suffice it to say, I got my full deposit back.
    Lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

Was living in a big enough house a few years back. There was 5 of us lads living there, all of us childhood friends.
    We were young, 22/23 so it was a party house at it's quietest.
    In the local one night and we met the landlady, she was half cut, things escalated and she came back to the house for a party.
    Things got wild.

Woke up in the morning to someone trying to kick my door in. I got up and opened it, there's the landlady....in her 17 stone glory showing every bit of herself.

After I went to bed, according to sources, she went to bed with one of the lads (he's like that, he doesn't say no) after they finished she decided he wasn't enough. When no one else would sleep with her she thought it'd be a great idea to burn all her clothes in the fireplace.

Funnily enough we never saw her after that. When we were moving out (about 3 years later) we discovered she had a husband, who gave us our deposit back, and deeply thanked us for looking after the house so well.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BS

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Teddington Cuddlesworth

philstar wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BS

She was a lunatic.
    When we first moved in she used to let herself in whenever she wanted, usually a Sunday morning.

She made it very clear at the initial viewing of the house (before we moved in) that she liked younger men.
    She would periodically text one of us looking to strike up a conversation too, before the incident of course.

And, the neighbours said she had a bit of a reputation. They never elaborated but insisted on staying out of her way, they were a young couple only a few years older than us.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Was living in a big enough house a few years back. There was 5 of us lads living there, all of us childhood friends.
    We were young, 22/23 so it was a party house at it's quietest.
    In the local one night and we met the landlady, she was half cut, things escalated and she came back to the house for a party.
    Things got wild.

Woke up in the morning to someone trying to kick my door in. I got up and opened it, there's the landlady....in her 17 stone glory showing every bit of herself.

After I went to bed, according to sources, she went to bed with one of the lads (he's like that, he doesn't say no) after they finished she decided he wasn't enough. When no one else would sleep with her she thought it'd be a great idea to burn all her clothes in the fireplace.

Funnily enough we never saw her after that. When we were moving out (about 3 years later) we discovered she had a husband, who gave us our deposit back, and deeply thanked us for looking after the house so well.

That is so funny. :D:D:D What was she thinking setting fire to the clothes. :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

CeeCeeMack wrote: »
    House manager called landlord back in Ireland told him we were refusing to move so landlord called his buddy who was in a biker gang and had them wait outside the house at night for a few days to try and intimidate us into moving (A BIKER GANG. WE WERE TWO 22 YEAR OLD FEMALES).

A biker gang?!
    That landlord is a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

I've been both the landlady and tenant so I know both points of view.

Worst LL I had once gave the key to our house to a group of guys who were working on a wall at the bottom of the garden + cutting the grass (keeping the large garden was her responsibility as she put it in the tenancy agreement). She gave them the key without telling us, and told them that they could go in to make themselves a cup of tea whenever they wanted.... We came home to find the place full of strangers, muck all over the floors, doors wide open with all our valuables/ private stuff on display.

We were there less than 6 month anyway. Our parting gift from her was to accuse us of stealing all her furniture and sending the Gardai to us at our new house (same area). We had rented her house unfurnished, but she must have liked the look of our stuff and hoped we would leave it. Luckily we were still paying up for a few pieces having bought them 6months before so nothing came of it after showing the Gardai those receipts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Ah yes, furniture. Bloody furniture! Many places I've rented have been full of ultra-rubbish old, or cheap, or broken (or all three) bits of furniture. And yet many of these pieces are treated as some kind of magical heirloom by the LL when you ask them to replace or simply remove the offending article.

Moved into one place that had six chairs along with a sofa and armchair in a small living room of a small flat. Also there were two broken lamps. We had to beg the LL to remove the dining table chairs (there was no dining table!), but they point blank refused to remove the broken lamps. We put the lamps away in the storeroom, but lo and behold when we went to move out one lamp was supposedly worth hundreds of euros which was now going to come out of our deposit even though it was recorded as broken the day we moved in.

They even started arguing the toss over the number of plates that were left. We'd replaced all the crockery with brand new stuff as opposed to the old chipped crap that was in the place. We were leaving our stuff behind but there was more dinner plates and one less side plate and that simply wouldn't do according to the LL!

Lesson learnt though. Every new place I moved into since has had all the cutlery, plates, glasses, lamps, etc. boxed and stored so that the LL can have all that junk back in pristine condition. Still having issues with having to house busted old furniture though. You offer to just buy your own, but this won't do either apparently. Mad stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Never really had any difficult landlords in fairness but there was one particular guy who let the house to us in a very unclean state - but we just got on with it and spent a full day before we moved in hoovering, mopping, cleaning, dumping rubbish, etc.

When we went to move out two years later, we gave it another deep clean to basically leave it spotless - the exact opposite of how we'd taken it.

He then texts us to say the place has been left in poor condition and the cost of cleaning will have to be taken out of the deposit. I was speechless at the sheer neck of him.

He didn't get a cent though. Current landlord is nice, sorts things out quickly and is easy to deal with but he also gave the house to us in a seriously unclean condition....you'd think that landlords would have the house cleaned before letting it again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,477 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I hope my tenant is reading this to know just how good he has it, lol. I never see him, he never sees me. I don't raise the rent because he's a reliable tenant and I'd rather keep him.

I've only rented twice and both times the landlord/lady was sound.

Had a few fun housemates though. One was an alcoholic who used to sit up all hours roaring at God. Then gave out to me one time for being too noisy closing my door in the morning when leaving.

The day his equally drunken brother dragged him out into the street and beat the tripe out of him was a joyous one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lorelli! wrote: »
    A good few years ago, OH and I were living in a nice little cottage but it was in the middle of nowhere so we were desperate to get somewhere close to work and stuff. Went to look at a one bed apartment and it was alright on the surface and a good location for us so we had a small look around and signed the lease.

A month later, we moved in and when you looked deeper, the place was in bits. There were dirty dishes in the press, the floor was sticky! I don't know if the previous tenant had a party or something before leaving. There was a used toilet brush, ugh and there were children's clothes hanging in the wardrobe which was a bit creepy.

She popped round that day and I was so annoyed. Im fairly laid back but this was a joke. I took all the crap that was left and piled it up in the hall and called her to come and get it. I told her I was disgusted and spent the day cleaning other people's mess. She was very apologetic and looked embarrassed but she didn't really give a **** otherwise she would have had it cleaned. We did get on alright after that though. I never really liked living there though after my first impression.

not much of a story really

haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

In university we had a horrible landlord who refused to give us back our deposits for no real reason. He was a Garda and made sure we knew that.

A few weeks after we left one of the large front windows in the house got smashed, very unfortunate. Must have cost him a lot to repair.

lived in Dublin for over ten years now (owner now) but every single one of my landlord's was a decent skin.. Never any unwarranted rent increases - in fact every review was a two way discussion so as to agree a mutually satisfying rent (which usually meant no increase), no unannounced arrivals or inspections, any problems sorted instantly.

Each and every one.

To be fair - we'd have been good tenants too.. Always kept the property and grounds in great nick. Would even have painted internal walls at our own expense - often replaced/repaired the odd household item at our expense too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Never really had any difficult landlords in fairness but there was one particular guy who let the house to us in a very unclean state - but we just got on with it and spent a full day before we moved in hoovering, mopping, cleaning, dumping rubbish, etc.

When we went to move out two years later, we gave it another deep clean to basically leave it spotless - the exact opposite of how we'd taken it.

He then texts us to say the place has been left in poor condition and the cost of cleaning will have to be taken out of the deposit. I was speechless at the sheer neck of him.

He didn't get a cent though. Current landlord is nice, sorts things out quickly and is easy to deal with but he also gave the house to us in a seriously unclean condition....you'd think that landlords would have the house cleaned before letting it again?

Was this in Galway? Did we have the exact same landlord? Had to threaten the bastard with the prtb before he'd give the deposit back (wanted to keep 500 quid for cleaning!). Place was in a filthy state when we moved in including half of the floors being ripped up, thoroughly cleaned before we left.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Was this in Galway? Did we have the exact same landlord? Had to threaten the bastard with the prtb before he'd give the deposit back (wanted to keep 500 quid for cleaning!). Place was in a filthy state when we moved in including half of the floors being ripped up, thoroughly cleaned before we left.

got stung for a cleaning/repair bill in Cork once by a letting agency..

We took over the lease of a property half way through the lease - this was facilitated by the letting agency - there were a few issues with the apartment when we moved in that weren't particularly intrusive so we just ignored them for the duration. There was also a bag of clothes from previous tenants in a cupboard that we just ignored too.

When it came to moving out - the place was spotless but the original issues when we moved in were still there obviously. We got stung for the repair bill for the lot. Held responsible for any damage that happened during the entire course of the lease.

We also got told it would cost us €100 for the disposal of the bag of clothes. I just said I'll come collect the bag and take them to the charity shop myself - you know - save them the hassle.. Bit of fluster then followed by an obvious lie saying that the cleaning company had already disposed of the bag.

Yet it was the letting agency that let the place - showed us around and everything. I even remember yer wan noticing but ignoring the bag of clothes.

Rather despicable carry on.

Lesson learned though. Never touched an existing lease after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭REM76

Rented for many moons in Dublin, never really had a bad landlord. Most of them were actual landlords, rather than amateurs.

One example was a guy I had in Rathmines. Washing machine broke down with all my clothes in it, rang him, he had a new machine installed within 2 hours. These are the professional ones. He was taking about 3k a month from his flats, so he didn't mess you about if you were a decent tenant.

I would never have stayed with an owner-occupier or someone who became a landlord through awful financial decisions, luckily I could smell these chancers a mile off!

Likewise in UK, some great landlords. I was never any hassle, so never got hassle in return. Estate agencies on the other hand....

REM76 wrote: »
    Rented for many moons in Dublin, never really had a bad landlord. Most of them were actual landlords, rather than amateurs.

One example was a guy I had in Rathmines. Washing machine broke down with all my clothes in it, rang him, he had a new machine installed within 2 hours. These are the professional ones. He was taking about 3k a month from his flats, so he didn't mess you about if you were a decent tenant.

I would never have stayed with an owner-occupier or someone who became a landlord through awful financial decisions, luckily I could smell these chancers a mile off!

3k or 30k?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭REM76

lawred2 wrote: »
    3k or 30k?

3k, there was about 4 flats paying around 750 each. Small, but nice flats. I was very happy living there. When I bought my place at the time, he shook my hand, wished me well and asked me to contact him if I knew of anyone looking to rent.

I gave his number to a friend of mine and him and his girlfriend moved in to one of the flats later that year.

It was his livelihood, we were his customers. That's the way it works with professional landlords.

• Advertisement
Advertisement