Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Company - Change of name

Options
  • 26-01-2017 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi All,

I received notice of an upcoming EGM for our Management Company.
    One of the proposals on the agenda is to change the name of the Management Company. No reason has been given for the proposal.

Would anyone be able to shed any light as to why this would be necessary or even considered?
    I'd imagine there will be legal costs associated with changing the name but are there any other implications or consequences? I'd like to be aware of as much as possible before attending the meeting.

thanks,

Reg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Reg_hurley wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to shed any light as to why this would be necessary or even considered?
    I'd imagine there will be legal costs associated with changing the name but are there any other implications or consequences? I'd like to be aware of as much as possible before attending the meeting.

thanks,

Reg.
    Is it a name change related to a company conversion under Companies Act 2014 or just a name change?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

Is it a name change related to a company conversion under Companies Act 2014 or just a name change?

Hi Ciaran, I have no idea. It simply says "That the company change its name from "current company name" to "new company name"."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Is the change of name to include OMC in the title, or ltd or similar? If it's changing the entire name, e.g. XYZ Owner's Management Company to ABC Owner's Management Company, I'd want a good reasoning from the directors for the change. Otherwise it could just be to comply with the law and include the correct suffix to the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

We had an EGM last year and changed from The Company Ltd to The Company Owner's Management Company (or something along those lines).

A combination of the new(ish) companies act and the MUD act require some of these name changes to be made. If they're changing the company name to something completely unrelated, ask a lot of questions. E.g. if you live in "The Dublin Apartments" complex, and they're changing it to the "Kilkenny Daisy Management Company", I'd want a lot of details :)

thanks, it's similar to what you described. Changing from The Company Management Company Limited by Guarantee to The Company Owner's Management Company Limited by Guarantee.
    I wasn't aware that those changes were required. Would have been nice if they had included that in the notice.

thanks for clarifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

It wouldn't be correct to include such information on the notice. It's exactly what it implies in that it is giving you notice of the upcoming EGM.

The time to discuss details and agree on an action is at the EGM, where attendance and minutes are recorded.

Out of Interest, are you intending on going to the meeting and do you regularly attend AGM's etc.?

JustLen wrote: »
    It wouldn't be correct to include such information on the notice. It's exactly what it implies in that it is giving you notice of the upcoming EGM.

The time to discuss details and agree on an action is at the EGM, where attendance and minutes are recorded.

Out of Interest, are you intending on going to the meeting and do you regularly attend AGM's etc.?
    Yep, I'll be there.
    I will admit I don't know the ins and outs of arranging an EGM and what is considered correct but.....
    There are a couple of other items on the agenda and a brief description is included. It think the inclusion of something along the lines of as per recent legislation or changes to Act.... wouldn't have hurt. And then allows members to be informed before showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Reg_hurley wrote: »
    Yep, I'll be there.
    I will admit I don't know the ins and outs of arranging an EGM and what is considered correct but.....
    There are a couple of other items on the agenda and a brief description is included. It think the inclusion of something along the lines of as per recent legislation or changes to Act.... wouldn't have hurt. And then allows members to be informed before showing up.

In this case it wouldnt be a big deal, but I do get your point. Your right, it could just say something like "in line with recent changes to company regestration blah blah..."

I would encourage people to attend these meetings as it keeps you up to date on whats going on.

Also, if you have a manging agent they will usually be a lot more inclined to assist memebers who have contributed to the running of the management company. (If you were to have issues in the future)

Advertisement