Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Change CD player to aux input

Options
  • 26-01-2017 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Friend bought an 05 Almera. The built in radio is fine. There's a CD player in a section below that that looks like it is removable/replaceable.

How difficult a job is it to replace this with an Aux Input and anywhere in Dublin that will do it? Obviously, it's not a very expensive car so not willing to go crazy on the spend.

What's the cheapest/easiest way to do this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

dmrtn wrote: »
    Friend bought an 05 Almera. The built in radio is fine. There's a CD player in a section below that that looks like it is removable/replaceable.

How difficult a job is it to replace this with an Aux Input and anywhere in Dublin that will do it? Obviously, it's not a very expensive car so not willing to go crazy on the spend.

What's the cheapest/easiest way to do this?

Thanks.
    The cd player that you mention also happens to be the radio.. That single unit consists of both radio and cd .

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You could look at something like an xcarlink that connects to the cd changer port. Gives you SD/USB/Aux and (I think) some steering wheel remote functionality

If you're going cheaper again then a wired FM modulator that fits between the antenna plug and the socket on the back of the radio is probably the way to go.

This sort of thing
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Radio-Stereo-Wired-FM-Modulator-RCA-AUX-3-5mm-Input-Audio-Adapter-FM304K-MA809-/192046598218?hash=item2cb6de884a:g:YeUAAOSw-0xYRyGH

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I haven't seen Almera dashboard, but I think putting in new radio wouldn't be hard, it's not a modern car, where replacing radio needs pretty much replacing half of dashboard. Maybe you would need facia. You could pick up cheaply enough a headunit with aux and USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dmrtn

The cd player that you mention also happens to be the radio.. That single unit consists of both radio and cd .

Possibly. But it is in a different section rather than part of the radio.

This isn't the exact set up but I think it is like this -

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/sitegfx/Brodit_Images/653135-4.jpg

with the cd player in a separate front section. Are you saying it's all one unit at the back of the dash?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I haven't seen Almera dashboard, but I think putting in new radio wouldn't be hard, it's not a modern car, where replacing radio needs pretty much replacing half of dashboard. Maybe you would need facia. You could pick up cheaply enough a headunit with aux and USB.

Have a look at an Almere dashboard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

dmrtn wrote: »
    Possibly. But it is in a different section rather than part of the radio.

This isn't the exact set up but I think it is like this -

http://www.dsldevelopments.com/sitegfx/Brodit_Images/653135-4.jpg

with the cd player in a separate front section. Are you saying it's all one unit at the back of the dash?
    The cd unit you see in lower part of dash ...that is also the radio . It is a self contained unit. If you decide to replace the entire unit it is not a simple job. Wiring loom will need to be modified , you loose the controls on the steering . My advice is get a similar one from a breakers yard and then have it programmed to suit your car. Your radio is not a coded unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dmrtn

The cd unit you see in lower part of dash ...that is also the radio . It is a self contained unit. If you decide to replace the entire unit it is not a simple job. Wiring loom will need to be modified , you loose the controls on the steering . My advice is get a similar one from a breakers yard and then have it programmed to suit your car. Your radio is not a coded unit.

Right. Thanks for that info. Heading out of his areas of expertise there :)

Was going to talk to scansounds.ie but they seem to be closed until April.

Advertisement