Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bare In The Woods Festival 2017

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

But that would be standard, no? security, accommodation and toilets for X amount of patrons is for the event team to know and cater for. It would be part of the event plan.

If security was on the low side, they could hire extra in - same with the toilets, particularly with two weeks to go.

You'll always get locals complaining so they need to be kept onside and informed and consulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

zoobizoo wrote: »
    But that would be standard, no? security, accommodation and toilets for X amount of patrons is for the event team to know and cater for. It would be part of the event plan.

If security was on the low side, they could hire extra in - same with the toilets, particularly with two weeks to go.

You'll always get locals complaining so they need to be kept onside and informed and consulted.

In short we do not know exactly what happened. The facebook post states:
    BARE in the Woods is a small, homegrown festival, run by a small core group of people and unfortunately, the limited time available for us to comply with the conditions on our licence, has realistically proven not enough.

Whatever that should mean... You could read that as "we ran out of time and didn't have ourselves well enough organised" or "the conditions on the licence were too onerous for us to comply with given the time available from the the licence being issued" or "we bit off more than we can chew and we stand to lose a shed load of money if we have to fork out to meet the licence conditions"

In short, we don't know exactly what happened, but the event is cancelled, trust is lost and the damage is done.

Offaly county council do have a document outlining the application process and pre-application expectations. http://www.offaly.ie/eng/Services/Planning/How_to_Make_a_Planning_Application/Guide_to_Making_a_Planning_Application/updates-2016/major-events-leaflet.PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 18 vcngirl

shame, would have loved the lineup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I see that BARE is back next year, July 6th/7th 2018.
    It's changing location, from Portarlington Laois, to Borris Carlow.

I've been at a few gigs in Borris house over the years, and it's a beautiful site.

http://www.barefestival.com

Statement on their site, re last years mess
    http://www.barefestival.com/statement-re-bare17-bare18/

I'll probably pick up tickets when they go on sale in a few weeks.

I see that BARE is back next year, July 6th/7th 2018.
    It's changing location, from Portarlington Laois, to Borris Carlow.

I've been at a few gigs in Borris house over the years, and it's a beautiful site.

http://www.barefestival.com

Statement on their site, re last years mess
    http://www.barefestival.com/statement-re-bare17-bare18/

I'll probably pick up tickets when they go on sale in a few weeks.

Also, anyone that ordered tickets for the cancelled event are getting a €30 discount on the tickets early bird price .. 2 day festival for €70. Very happy to support these guys for that price.

• Advertisement

Also, anyone that ordered tickets for the cancelled event are getting a €30 discount on the tickets early bird price .. 2 day festival for €70. Very happy to support these guys for that price.

That's excellent.
    I didn't have tickets last year. If anyone has a spare code, i'd gladly take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

That's excellent.
    I didn't have tickets last year. If anyone has a spare code, i'd gladly take it.

me too hadn't ordered a ticket as had been given one :D:D

Has anyone received their tickets yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Has anyone received their tickets yet?
    They're etickets attached to email no?

They're etickets attached to email no?

Ah, so they are, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Any word on stage times for this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Anyone go/ing to this?

Would be interested to hear feedback in terms of price of pints (5 Euro), transport to & from (Kildare/Portarlington/Kilcullen etc. & Bagenalstown Train Stn.), sufficient security personnel/ticket checkers, sufficient quantity of jacks on site for both main gig and campsite, showers for campsite etc.?

I know the location quite well and one concern I had was in terms of gate-crashers hopping fences etc.; it's an incredibly wide open venue to control.

Any other issues, good or bad?

They've removed the review section from their FB Page.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭gawker

Friends of mine went and said it was a very small turn out. Maybe a few hundred? About 100 camping. I thought it'd be much bigger. Apparently well organised though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

gawker wrote: »
    Friends of mine went and said it was a very small turn out. Maybe a few hundred? About 100 camping. I thought it'd be much bigger. Apparently well organised though.

There were things lacking on organisational front.. ie showers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Tbh id say what happened to the festival last year would have turned a lot of people off going id say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Does a bare 5hit in the woods?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

I went yesterday for a few hours. Thought it was well organised and laid out. Stunning views from the venue. It’s really a shame more people didn’t turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Tbh id say what happened to the festival last year would have turned a lot of people off going id say

Bit Foghorn Leghorn there. I'd say I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

So here's my run down of the festival.

Organisation wise it was good. Everything ran to as close to on time as possible. Sound was good, lighting. Some amazing bands. Good food and a pleasant surprise to see O'Hara's beer and not heineken/usual muck.

This was my first festival, and I get people want to get f*cked up and all, but not even leaving the camp site... what's that all about? The acts that we saw were great and deserved to have a bigger crowd to play to, but still gave it 110%.

The security was really good too. There was a bit of a ruckus on the Friday night where some lads managed to sneak in, hijack some tents and then threatened people with blades looking for cans. Security turfed them out, and kept throwing them out each time they did sneak back in, which was a lot of times. A few of the security team I spoke with said it was the worst festival for trouble they've seen in a while. We spent all our time at the music so didn't see any trouble apart from hearing all the commotion on the Friday night.

List of who I remember seeing:
    Kila 5/5
    Lost brothers 4/5
    Truck stop honeymoon 5/5
    Davina and the messengers 4/5
    Good is an astronaut 6/5
    Natty Wailer 5/5
    Cider wasps 4/5
    Craic appeal 4/5
    Exiles 4/5
    Obie Trice & Swifty McVay 5/5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

If a bunch of blade-wielding toerags managed to sneak in multiple times, I'd suggest that perhaps organisation and security weren't really that good?

If turnout was as low as I've heard, it's hard to see this coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

evil_seed wrote: »
    So here's my run down of the festival.

Organisation wise it was good. Everything ran to as close to on time as possible. Sound was good, lighting. Some amazing bands. Good food and a pleasant surprise to see O'Hara's beer and not heineken/usual muck.

This was my first festival, and I get people want to get f*cked up and all, but not even leaving the camp site... what's that all about? The acts that we saw were great and deserved to have a bigger crowd to play to, but still gave it 110%.

The security was really good too. There was a bit of a ruckus on the Friday night where some lads managed to sneak in, hijack some tents and then threatened people with blades looking for cans. Security turfed them out, and kept throwing them out each time they did sneak back in, which was a lot of times. A few of the security team I spoke with said it was the worst festival for trouble they've seen in a while. We spent all our time at the music so didn't see any trouble apart from hearing all the commotion on the Friday night.

List of who I remember seeing:
    Kila 5/5
    Lost brothers 4/5
    Truck stop honeymoon 5/5
    Davina and the messengers 4/5
    Good is an astronaut 6/5
    Natty Wailer 5/5
    Cider wasps 4/5
    Craic appeal 4/5
    Exiles 4/5
    Obie Trice & Swifty McVay 5/5

As a local this is disappointing to hear (the campsite issues). Scrotes're everywhere sadly but it's not what I wanted to hear for the festivals first time in town.
    The good thing about the site is Borris House, the Demesne, the views etc.; it's unreal and I hope anybody negatively affected will at least always have and appreciate those views.

But the disadvantage of where it's located is just that; its' location.

I.e. It's very open.

Entry was via North Field at Factory Cross with two fields on L & R down the lane & exit was out main gate opp. Step House Hotel.

The land is very difficult to secure; there are too many access points up off the river or simply from above entrance as it's easy to get in and not be spotted.

Am glad to hear the positive responses regarding the bands; I'd a gawk at line up and bar Karl Spain (Comedian) I was out of my depth (Larry Gogans Golden Hour is about my level!) there were few enough names I'd recognise (though I did note Gok Wan did a DJ Set; I thought he was there to offer fashion advice.......perhaps I was being naive?).

Hope it does come back; Borris House needs it & so does Borris village too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Jaysus that sounds bad about the lads who snuck in causing trouble. Even when it was on in it's previous location I had heard there was a bit of trouble at it too with lads sneaking in and causing havoc. Know a couple of people who played at it and didn't sound like much of a crowd turned up to it, for me it just seems too random of a festival to go to.. It doesn't sound like it knows what it wants to be - Gok Wan, Kila & the lads from D12 all playing seems like picking names out of a hat. It must be difficult to organise a festival in its infancy in fairness.

Had tickets for this last year. Was considering again this year, but ATN being so close to me won out. its a crammed market and and even the most hardcore festival goers will pick carefully.

Very sorry to hear the low turn out and problems with gate crashers. Hopefully this will be back next year.

Advertisement