Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice ASAP

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The problem there is our landlord wouldn't fix our taps upstaires (which don't work at all) and wouldn't even have the house half clean before we moved down (rat droppings in 2 kitchen drawers) so that's they kinda fella were dealing with
    You're first years. You will only get sh|tholes, as the LL's expect you to wreck the place. What estate are you in? Thought it may have been the place (looks less of a sh|thole in the photo since I was last in Carlow!) next to the lights down the road from the college, but that's only one story.
    Scraggs wrote: »
    OP I would try sort this out with your landlord before giving notice like others have advised.
    As I'm sure you're well aware there is a huge shortage of accommodation in Carlow town and the 5 of you (if looking for a place together) will be competing against families and professionals who are looking for longer term than until the end of the semester.
    From your username I'm guessing you're a local, so I assume that most of the houses that the 1st years get wouldn't be touched by families or professionals, as they're most often dives that the LL doesn't put much money into as they'll often get wrecked.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    The 6 month rule is basically gone for part IV. You can no longer evict a tenant for no reason within 6 months. It has to be a solid reason like not paying rent, anti-social behaviour etc. It was one of those new changes slipped in recently.

Part 4 doesn't start until 6 months into a tenancy so has no impact on the right of a LL to evict for any reason in this time period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Part 4 doesn't start until 6 months into a tenancy so has no impact on the right of a LL to evict for any reason in this time period.

It is gone though. Tenants basically get part IV from day one now(maybe it is only new tenancies). But you can no longer evict a tenant within the first 6 months for no reason

It is gone though. Tenants basically get part IV from day one now(maybe it is only new tenancies). But you can no longer evict a tenant within the first 6 months for no reason

That cannot be true. Have you a link that outlines this? The new legislation removed (accidentally) the right to end a part IV tenancy for one of the valid reasons, I thought? But that's after the first 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Give notice and leave asap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I would leave. It doesn't sound this will improve.

It's also possible the new tenant and/or the LL are trying to get rid of you deliberately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

TresGats wrote: »
    Sounds like the LL is getting his pockets lined somehow by housing this lad. Be it some arrangement he has with a relative/ or the HSE.
    Supported housing would suit him better atm as he is still young and may be lacking in life skills.
    I would not like my teenage daughter living in a house where middle-aged ex-cons are sleeping in the same house. That's the bottom line, I don't know why other posters are being hard on the OP.
    As for advice- college accom. officer, threshold for advice , & keep an eye out for properties to suit the 5 of you. Good luck.

That was my exact thought - I would not want any of my young relatives in this situation.
    Best of luck OP, do seek advice from the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think the OP concerns are entirely justified. They may have slightly over reacted. But I think they right to be concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

There are worse things in life to be getting stressed about... most of them situations that you will have no control over. You have control over this situation. Honestly, from someone who has been in situations similar to this one I would advise you to just get looking for new accommodation and GTFO out of there as soon as you can.

It'll be worth it just for the weight off your shoulders believe me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Op, you get along with the other students?
    If so..... try to find another place with the 6 of you.

Not worth the hassle this.

• Advertisement

They don't, hence the the increase in the number of apartments being advertised having availability of less than 6 months.

Part 4 only starts after 6 months, a tenancy can be ended for any reason before part 4 starts that's a fact.
    When you can be asked to leave
    Tenancies that are governed by Part 4 of the 2004 Act and that started on or before 24 December 2016 run in 4-year cycles. Tenancies that started after 24 December 2016 run in 6-year cycles.

During the first 6 months of a tenancy, the landlord can ask you to leave without giving a reason (unless you have a fixed-term tenancy) but must serve a valid written notice of termination, allowing a minimum 28-day notice period. Only 7 days’ notice is required in the first 6 months if your behaviour is seriously anti-social or threatens the fabric of the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Ask the landlord to get rid of the new tenant as it isn't working out, then divide out the total rent by 6 instead of 7.

Will be a bit more expensive but worth it.

As for how the landlord deals with removing the new tenant that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fitzypatrick11

This thread randomly popped into my head so I logged into my boards account to have a read.

I’m laughing to myself reading the comments that I was over reacting - the guy ended up robbing us all at the end of the year - he stole a PlayStation, Nikon camera and €400 we had on the table for bills 🤣 always trust your gut!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Surely the six of ye are able to look out for each other .....?

Six of you - One of him (plus 1 crimbo) = No sweat!

It's not ideal, and it's probably uncomfortable for you all..... What great preparation for the big cruel world outside that awaits you...

Chill out buddy... Im guessing there will be none of the brotherhood left on their own with Roger the Lodger anytime soon? So as long as there is a bunch of you in house together, what's the problem? (safety in numbers and all that)

First time away from home, the buddies all living it up, free from the Parental shackles of conformity and obedience (sweet!)

Then you get landed with a potential mass murderer / criminal racketeer... (Un-sweet)

Log anything that you feel is anti-social - Call a house meeting, and air your concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

The post is 5 years old. Read the post directly above yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,098 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's a 6 year old thread. Try reading the last post and not the first!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If you don't have a few mad stories about dingy college house shares then you weren't doing it properly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,098 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Old thread maybe but some of the responses here are shocking and another indication of the LL/owner bias on this forum.

The OP's LL moves in a dodgy tenant without even having the courtesy to inform his existing tenants (who let's not forget are paying for the privilege of clearing his mortgage for him) and when said tenant starts to bring in ex criminals and other dodgy characters, it's the OP and his housemates that are in the wrong and the LL is right to be annoyed at the calls?? God forbid that he be held accountable!

There were 2 at fault here.. the new tenant and their LL, not the OP and his housemates who were left to deal with this crap.

Spot on. I’m 25 now was only 19 or so at the time and it was a mad situation to be in. As I said we were right in the end, your man ended up stealing from us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah a real asshole vibe off most of the replies, kind of shocking actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Asshole vibes of the OP. Xenophobic, hypocritical shivery shite.

Can you not read no? I probably shouldn’t have mentioned his nationality it had nothing to do with it, 6 year hindsight is a great thing, but you were obviously perfect at 19 so what would you know.

Absolutely nothing ‘shivery’ or hypocritical about it. He was a nightmare to live with in the months after my post and as I’ve said twice now, ended up stealing from all of us - stuff we never got back. That’s a fairly **** thing to happen your first time living away from home. Clown

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

What did mods snip? That’s really what everyone wants to know

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement