Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eurosport will no longer be available to Sky customers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    TdF, Giro, Vuelta, all the classic....

Strange that sky are dropping the one outlet they have to promote team sky

It was even stranger that they have a Cycling Team and yet do not broadcast any of the races they are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe they want to distance themselves from that team, didn't they have some dodgy goings-on recently, about mysterious packages being delivered to their team hotel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

TdF, Giro, Vuelta, all the classic....

Strange that sky are dropping the one outlet they have to promote team sky

ITV 4 also on Sky show cycling

NIMAN wrote: »
    Never thought of how Brexit might affect the soccer world.

As for tennis, jez if you listen to RTE or TodayFM sports depts it sounds like there is always a big tennis tournament on somewhere. Don't they have an off-season in tennis?

Do Eurosport show football any more??

They are currently showing the African Cup of Nations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

ITV 4 also on Sky show cycling

as in 3-4hr coverage or a 45min highlight show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Eurosport are excellent for the underage tournaments like the Toulon tournament.

as in 3-4hr coverage or a 45min highlight show?

They show the tour de france live not sure about how live other coverage is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Plenty of people still watch it, shows a lot of tennis and snooker.

+1. Can't beat a bit of tennis and snooker....well snooker is in a bit of a slump the last few years but it's still a great sport. Hope Sky go under. Bunch of robbing thieves who took English football away from the common man and distorted it into this over inflated, over hyped pile of rubbish played by entitled pansies who hardly try a leg for their club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

+1. Can't beat a bit of tennis and snooker....well snooker is in a bit of a slump the last few years but it's still a great sport. Hope Sky go under. Bunch of robbing thieves who took English football away from the common man and distorted it into this over inflated, over hyped pile of rubbish played by entitled pansies who hardly try a leg for their club

Have to agree with you there. Given that soccer is the national game in England it is madness that at least 1 game per week is not available on free to air tv.

I have no real interest in the premiership these days.
    I prefer to watch the better quality champions league. It is also on at a much better time - midweek around 8pm - when you can sit down and watch a game knowing you won't be going out.

The money being paid to footballers is just sickening really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Epic rant

but snooker is a game, not a sport.

Like Darts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Maybe they want to distance themselves from that team, didn't they have some dodgy goings-on recently, about mysterious packages being delivered to their team hotel?

How do you distance yourself from a team that has your name and logo all over their gear?

They are more naive than I though if they dont have clauses in the sponsership deal that allows them to gracefully exit that deal if doping is proven....

tbh, eurosport isnt my main gripe anyway..i spend most of my time on one of the discovery channels ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Epic rant

Like Darts.

Haha take that snooker fans! Your whole life is a ****ing lie.

Epic rant

Like Darts.

Snooker is a sport just like Darts.

Have to agree with you there. Given that soccer is the national game in England it is madness that at least 1 game per week is not available on free to air tv.

I have no real interest in the premiership these days.
    I prefer to watch the better quality champions league. It is also on at a much better time - midweek around 8pm - when you can sit down and watch a game knowing you won't be going out.

The money being paid to footballers is just sickening really.

It's no worse than the money being paid to various other sports people, actors,musicians etc .

• Advertisement

Epic rant

Like Darts.

Pretty sure it's a sport unless you know something the rest of us don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

There's very few footballers in history that could cope with the pressure of stepping up to the oche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I know there are huge threads about these things on the SAT form but throw out a few names and models if you can.

Which can record all channels (SAT and terrestrial) at the same time, series link, etc ?

Which can give me BT sport if I decided I liked their 1 euro a month special offer ?

How much do they cost, Sky variety package is approx €40 a month so it would take a year for any box around €480 to pay for itself.

I have a Vu+ Duo 2 .It is top of the range.It can pause,rewind,record(6 at a time), series link.Full 7 day TV guide updated as often as required(mine is set for 1 per day),2 card reader slots.

I set up a Mutant HD51last week,it is a new box and it can do similar and is 4K.
    Add in Vu+ Solo and xtrend 10000 to the list.Those are 4 box's I have used in the past year that are all leaps ahead of a sky box.
    Edision OS Mini is around €100 and is excellent for the price,all depends what you wanna do really.

We arent allowed to talk about the other benefits of these box's on boards but the info is all very easy to get .

Prices can vary from 120-400 euro.

No one should need to be locked in with Sky anymore.

Edit:Sorry for going off topic,thats me finished on that subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

When you say you have used 4 boxes in the past year, is it necessary to change the box a lot? Do you have to continually plow money into it like?

I am looking at getting rid of Sky pretty soon so will be looking in to getting a more permanent box, we have an android box, couldn't tell you the exact name. It is ok, nothing great, basic like.

I am reasonably technically proficient.

Edit: As you don't wanna drag the thread (more) off topic, would you mind responding to my post in pm please?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There's very few footballers in history that could cope with the pressure of stepping up to the oche.

Even fewer dartists could do keepie uppies,

what's this thread about again?

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    I have a Vu+ Duo 2 .It is top of the range.It can pause,rewind,record(6 at a time), series link.Full 7 day TV guide updated as often as required(mine is set for 1 per day),2 card reader slots.

I set up a Mutant HD51last week,it is a new box and it can do similar and is 4K.
    Add in Vu+ Solo and xtrend 10000 to the list.Those are 4 box's I have used in the past year that are all leaps ahead of a sky box.
    Edision OS Mini is around €100 and is excellent for the price,all depends what you wanna do really.

We arent allowed to talk about the other benefits of these box's on boards but the info is all very easy to get .

and of course the other benefits as you call it is illegal. Not everyone wants to do that

When you say you have used 4 boxes in the past year, is it necessary to change the box a lot? Do you have to continually plow money into it like?

I am looking at getting rid of Sky pretty soon so will be looking in to getting a more permanent box, we have an android box, couldn't tell you the exact name. It is ok, nothing great, basic like.

I am reasonably technically proficient.

Edit: As you don't wanna drag the thread (more) off topic, would you mind responding to my post in pm please?

I have my one box(Duo) the last 3 years but have set up those other ones for family/friends in the past year.A good box will last years without any real maintenance .

and of course the other benefits as you call it is illegal. Not everyone wants to do that

Not necessarily ,I know there is a certain program that mods dont want to be mentioned here than doesnt have to be used in an illegal manner.
    I said other benefits as I know there will be questions asked and I didnt want to take thread off topic or answer a pile of questions.There is a sat forum for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

is it illegal to receive pirate radio signals on a radio in your kitchen?

Do you need broadband for something like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

That's my whole point about it being hard to get rid of Sky.

I'm very technical, but I have no time or interest to be shlepping around the internet or anywhere else looking for ways to get the content or functionality I get in a Sky system.

Also for the folks who would like to see Sky go bust what do you think the alternative will be ?

It won't be free sport on TV, all it will be is another company doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Have a Zgemma myself, Will answer Questions by PM if anyone has any.

Haven't looked back since I got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

One day these boxes will be beaten by the TV providers too. They have already stopped the HD channels, surely the SD ones can't be far away?

Lads have a look at the Sat forum/foreign satellite here or Google Enigma 2 boxs.It's a 15 minute job to set up those boxs you don't need to be hugely techinally proficient to do it nor break any laws.Sky are fleecing people because most people are too lazy or indifferent to do a bit of ground work.

StringerBell PM sent .

Sorry for going off topic.

Google is your friend .Good Luck.

One day these boxes will be beaten by the TV providers too. They have already stopped the HD channels, surely the SD ones can't be far away?

Too many People still on SD, if they wanted to cut SD they'd have to replace all the boxes with new ones. Would cost them a fortune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm actually looking forward to the day they take out enough providers on sat to not make it worthwhile using, because then everyone's attention will finally turn to IPTV and the product will improve. CS is dying slowly though, you're right. Sky IT is gone completely already, so Sky DE & UK won't be far behind.
    Too many People still on SD, if they wanted to cut SD they'd have to replace all the boxes with new ones. Would cost them a fortune

The number of people using the boxes stopping them from implementing blocks was estimated to be less than 200,000 12 months ago. That number could only have gone down since then. I've been reading people scaremongering about Sky being blocked since around 2009 and usually ignored it. But after the success of Sky IT's anti-CS measures, I think it'll happen in the next 18-24 months in the UK or DE. Sky have also made it a goal in their annual report to move all their customers on from the old boxes.
    People have been getting letters and emails like this - https://secure.sky.com/promotions/offers/box-swap/offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I've used sat boxes for years and most here waxing lyrical about then are being quite disingenuous. Enigma boxes are buggy and nowhere near as slick or user friendly as a modern sky box. They'll regularly crash, plugins fail and the wife will likely throw the remote at you for making her switch. There's no comparison.
    If using certain 'services' and leaving aside morality then you'll only get SD and likely be downtime or freezing quite a bit also.
    By all means open up other options but don't go spending hundreds on a new box and expect a better overall experience. Really look into it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

They show the tour de france live not sure about how live other coverage is

You get the Tour de France and Tour of Britain. La Course and Women's Tour of Britain then too. I don't think ITV4 have anything else, or at least not much else. Nearly all the bigger races are on Eurosport. You've a few like Tour Down Under and Omloop that aren't but there's not a huge amount of the 1st/2nd tier races that aren't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Sky are ripping people off who have the basic €30 package. Basically all of it is available on free to air.

I got a Triax TSC 114 a few years ago. I have a satellite dish and uhf aerial. I have 2 feeds coming in so I have a tv connected up in the sitting room plus a room upstairs. Lots of HD channels that are not available on the standard sky package. I watch a good few travel programmes on More4 and 4seven. Not sure if they are on sky.

Is it perfect? No. I don't have series link or 7 day epg for freesat programmes but it doesn't bother me. Series link often doesn't record the end of live sports programmes if they overrun so it is no great loss to me.

I also have a Chromecast and I can watch youtube and other stuff on the tv. Kids love the nursery rhymes on youtube. It connects into a hdmi slot in the tv. I had only 1 hdmi slot so I bought an adapter that allows me to connect upto 3 devices.

I can understand people wanting to keep Sky. In fairness it is an easy system to use but they are losing a lot of channels and charging people extra for HD has been a major error.

s.welstead wrote: »
    I've used sat boxes for years and most here waxing lyrical about then are being quite disingenuous. Enigma boxes are buggy and nowhere near as slick or user friendly as a modern sky box. They'll regularly crash, plugins fail and the wife will likely throw the remote at you for making her switch. There's no comparison.
    If using certain 'services' and leaving aside morality then you'll only get SD and likely be downtime or freezing quite a bit also.
    By all means open up other options but don't go spending hundreds on a new box and expect a better overall experience. Really look into it first.

The bit in bold.

I'd tinker all day and night with one of these boxes to see what it can and cannot do and enjoy it, but other people are used of what they are used of and don't see the value in changing for lesser functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

The bit in bold.

I'd tinker all day and night with one of these boxes to see what it can and cannot do and enjoy it, but other people are used of what they are used of and don't see the value in changing for lesser functionality.

Kind of sounds more like a hobby of yours rather than what other people are looking for in a platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

sky saying they have always overpaid for discovery but won't anymore. They stated they wanted 1 billion for a package that they feel is declining.

They saw how much sky paid for the epl it's only natural they are going to ask for more money. I sincerely doubt discovery can afford to lose out on vast advertising revenue by sky not broadcasting their channels. It'll be sorted both parties need each other

The bit in bold.

I don't know what kind of boxes you lads have and what crap plugins you have installed, but my box has not green screened in months. Before I restarted it last night my uptime was something like 25 days straight.

If you buy a sh*t box (Zgemma) or install incompatible plugins, obviously you are going to have problems. As for freezing, again, if you have a sh*t server obviously you are going to have this. It all depends on what you buy, but calling all E2 boxes 'buggy' and saying you are likely to have freezes is false.

I'm not promoting CS Sky. I don't even use it myself. Just wanted to state that the above is false.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,813 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Oat23 wrote: »
    I don't know what kind of boxes you lads have and what crap plugins you have installed, but my box has not green screened in months. Before I restarted it last night my uptime was something like 25 days straight.

If you buy a sh*t box (Zgemma) or install incompatible plugins, obviously you are going to have problems. As for freezing, again, if you have a sh*t server obviously you are going to have this. It all depends on what you buy, but calling all E2 boxes 'buggy' and saying you are likely to have freezes is false.

I'm not promoting CS Sky. I don't even use it myself. Just wanted to state that the above is false.

Exactly. Had one crash with my Xtrend ET-10000 in the time I am using it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Oat23 wrote: »

You're bragging about it not crashing in months. That should be expected from your TV box not bragged about.
    Incompatible plugins come on, if it's there to add it should work without needing to research it.
    And CS you really think it's a similar level of service as Sky? All servers will occasionally glitch, even if the cause is on your end.
    Look I have a motorised setup and regularly use both CS and android streaming/iptv. I don't use cheap boxes. They are fine for what they are but Sky is in a different league and if that's what you're used to then it would be difficult to switch.

You're bragging about it not crashing in months. That should be expected from your TV box not bragged about.

You claimed that all E2 boxes regularly crash. I pointed out that mine has not crashed in months and that is somehow me bragging? :confused:
    Incompatible plugins come on, if it's there to add it should work without needing to research it.

Just because the plugin is there doesn't mean it is compatible with your hardware. If you use OpenVIX for example, the plugin 'store' is shared across all boxes. Some plugins might not work correctly.
    And CS you really think it's a similar level of service as Sky? All servers will occasionally glitch, even if the cause is on your end.
    Look I have a motorised setup and regularly use both CS and android streaming/iptv. I don't use cheap boxes. They are fine for what they are but Sky is in a different league and if that's what you're used to then it would be difficult to switch.

My box is better than a Sky box. It's far more responsive and channel zapping is much faster. I've got a €25 fire tv stick in another room connected to it over Wi-fi allowing us to watch any TV channel on 13/19/23/28 via the dual tuner. How much do Sky charge for that again? €15 a month isn't it? And you need another huge box, not a small stick hidden behind the TV.

As for your freezing. I'm not getting into the guts of CS here, but you clearly don't know what you're doing. I'm guessing you are trying to use Sky on C**am. It's 2017 and that does not work well at all, which is why you have freezes.

I've unfortunately found myself as the family member everyone calls when they have tech problems, so I have had to deal with Sky boxes a lot. Coming from my snappy & responsive E2 box, they have all been dreadful to use and almost had me pulling my hair out. They are by far the worst Sky boxes in Europe. I've used both Sky DE and Sky IT boxes and they were much better. In the UK & Ire, they seem to be pushing software updates to older Sky HD boxes (from 2012-14) that were designed for newer boxes made in 2014-16, slowing them down. Wonderful service from Sky.

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Kind of sounds more like a hobby of yours rather than what other people are looking for in a platform.

Yes I am interested in the technology but over the last few years I have been looking for an alternative to Sky and to be honest the cost of a good box, the cost of installing an external aireal, and the reduction in functionality make it far less appealing than initially thought.

My Zgemma running Wooshbuild (OpenATV) hasn't crashed ever.

Has a Sky skin installed. Download EPG every morning at 6am no hassle

How many of these boxes are working on li es of 2Mb or less with a few other devices competing for bandwidth

How many of these boxes are working on li es of 2Mb or less with a few other devices competing for bandwidth

My one uses about 500mb a month. A wired connection is the way to go, Homeplugs the next best alternative. 2mb would be the minimum required with a low enough ping

• Advertisement

Set up a box for a friend and his speed tests were always around 2mb and he has no problems with it.
    I'd guess he has the box (wired connection) laptop and 2 phones all competing for bandwidth.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Wonder which one buckled

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It was a downer the thought of losing Eurosport in particular.

It is like both sides did this to make us appreciate more the channels in question.

• Advertisement
Advertisement