Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City to Shannon airport in a 30kwh Leaf

• 26-01-2017 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

Hi very shortly should have my new 30kw Leaf ,home charger being fitted as we speak. A theoretical question I have to go to Shannon later this year assuming I am traveling with one other adult own with luggage would I get to the airport without needing to charge. I am parking adjacent to the airport and can use the Granny cable when I am away to recharge.Is 129kms doable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭discostu1

Bump any thoughts guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

According to an ap I use quite often, that trip if started with 100% charge should be easily done. You should reach Shannon airport with 16% battery remaining. Thats calculated using the Mallow route. The ap is EV Range.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There's a charge station near the McDonalds in Shannon town IIRC, can't be more than 3/4 miles from the airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You could always go the Mitchelstown route and fast charge in Fermoy if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭Soarer

slave1 wrote: »
    There's a charge station near the McDonalds in Shannon town IIRC, can't be more than 3/4 miles from the airport

Just for my own curiosity, if the op was to use this to fill up his car, reach the airport with~95% battery remaining, and head away for two weeks, what would be the story with the battery on return?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭discostu1

Soarer wrote: »
    Just for my own curiosity, if the op was to use this to fill up his car, reach the airport with~95% battery remaining, and head away for two weeks, what would be the story with the battery on return?
    Very good question here is what I my travel plans are. Ideally drive Cork to Shannon non stop on one charge I normally leave my car with a small garage/parking place about a mile from the Airport. I am away for 3 weeks so I know the lad who owns the garage I could ask him to either park/charge it in the public charger on the morning we come back or ask him to us the Granny so I have a good charge when I step off the plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

discostu1 wrote: »
    Very good question here is what I my travel plans are. Ideally drive Cork to Shannon non stop on one charge I normally leave my car with a small garage/parking place about a mile from the Airport. I am away for 3 weeks so I know the lad who owns the garage I could ask him to either park/charge it in the public charger on the morning we come back or ask him to us the Granny so I have a good charge when I step off the plane.

The battery % won't budge over 2 weeks but not generally recommended to leave it at high charge for long periods.

I'd plug in the granny cable and remotely activate the charge from the app the day before you come home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

mordeith wrote: »

Going via Mitchelstown and the R513 can easily add 30 minutes to the journey if driving conservatively - the R513 in particular is not a nice road IMO. Few safe overtaking places (I always find slow local traffic, and I'm sticking to 80 km/h), lots of dodgy blind corners, etc.

I'm not sure the M8 is great for efficient driving either: I don't have data to back up my claims, but I think it goes through more severe valleys compared to the N20 (e.g. I think the Blackwater valley at Fermoy is bigger than at Mallow). A lot of the N20 follows the railway (most of Cork to Charleville) so should be a lot flatter - steam locos 150+ years ago weren't great at hills :).

I use the N20 regularly and can get to Limerick city in 90 minutes reliably, as long as I avoid peak traffic. Roadworks are finished at Buttevant (finally!). And you should have no trouble getting to Limerick if you need to charge (FCPs at Topaz Ballysimon Rd. and Thomondgate).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

mordeith wrote: »

No need whatsoever.

I regularly drive cork-limerick in a 24 kw leaf, no stops required, aircon on etc.

30kw should be ample for shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,486 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

slave1 wrote: »

Yep there's another outside the Garda station if you're stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

pwurple wrote: »
    No need whatsoever.

I regularly drive cork-limerick in a 24 kw leaf, no stops required, aircon on etc.

30kw should be ample for shannon.

It must be tight in the 24kWh though? Are you driving like miss daisy? ;)

I need to make the trip myself but it's just a bit more than 100km with no chargers on route so I was planning on using the diesel. You have me thinking now though.

What distance are you covering on that trip and what % have you left when you get there?

Side note... they really need an FCP in Mallow to open up the west coast. I already asked eCars for same!

Advertisement