Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling solo to Dublin

Options
  • 26-01-2017 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I'm a 29y old woman from Belgium.
    I'm planning a trip to Dublin, and i want to travel alone.

Any recommendations or tips?
    Is it safe for a woman to travel alone in Dublin?

X

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Hi there, 
    Yes it is safe for women to travel alone in Dublin, of course you apply the necessary precautions to your personal safety you would in any city. But its certainly not a dangerous place for women, the same as any european city.
    Without knowing what you wish to achieve from your visit its hard to know what to recommend! Do you want shopping? Nighlife? Pub scene ? Outdoors ?
    I would say if you like scenery and the outdoors defiantly go to Howth and do the walk around Howth head. At night there are some great places in the south inner city to go for live music and drinks, lonely planet offer a great guide on Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Trust your instincts. Don't walk down any streets that look like the kind of streets you would avoid if in a Belgian city.
    Enjoy the trip, and try to take advantage of the coastal DART train line to Howth (as noted), Malahide, Dun Laoghaire.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Personally I think Dublin is not a great city to visit alone. I live here alone and it really feels like everywhere is more interested in catering for couples and families. It's just a general feeling I get off of people. Of course, you're a girl, so it will be different, people will probably approach your or talk to you if you're alone, so maybe it's better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

meliselis wrote: »
    I'm a 29y old woman from Belgium.
    I'm planning a trip to Dublin, and i want to travel alone.

Any recommendations or tips?
    Is it safe for a woman to travel alone in Dublin?

X

In my opinion, unfortunately parts of Dublin are not safe for a woman travelling alone. Avoid Dublin 1 and most of Dublin 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,629 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

In Dublin City Centre the area along the river Liffey has a boardwalk on it, this is normally loaded with junkies strung off their faces at all hours of the day, best avoided. If you smoke do so in a beer garden of a pub or some quiet area or you will be harrassed constantly by unsavoury individuals looking for "a lend of a smoke" (a spare cigarette).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭listermint

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Personally I think Dublin is not a great city to visit alone. I live here alone and it really feels like everywhere is more interested in catering for couples and families. It's just a general feeling I get off of people. Of course, you're a girl, so it will be different, people will probably approach your or talk to you if you're alone, so maybe it's better.

You are living here. This person is a tourist your interests may not be Alligned tbf

In my opinion, unfortunately parts of Dublin are not safe for a woman travelling alone. Avoid Dublin 1 and most of Dublin 7.

Ah come on. As long as you keep your wits about you, and aren't wandering around alone in the wee hours of the morning, this is really being unfair to both areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

A guy I work with, from India, came over to Dublin for two or three weeks, and was fine. He was largely on his own, and did a bunch of travelling and touristy stuff when he was here, without any issue or ever feeling the place was unsafe.

I think if you're relatively smart about where you go, travelling Dublin is just fine.

Also, if you want to go out at night and are worried about perhaps being on your own, perhaps look at going on one of the many pub crawls around the city. Some of them end up with 50+ people travelling from pub to pub, listening to music and so on, so you'll have more than enough people to keep you safe and company!

Enjoy your travels.

Ah come on. As long as you keep your wits about you, and aren't wandering around alone in the wee hours of the morning, this is really being unfair to both areas.

I disagree. I have seen fights between junkies on the Luas in broad daylight, at nine in the morning in fact. Also some of them target tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Bit harsh on Dublin 7 IMO, I've lived in the area most of my life. I've never felt unsafe, yeah there are some oddballs but no more than any other working class area.

Obviously avoid dark alleys and drunk gangs late at night, but that's true of anywhere

• Advertisement

We where exactly in d7?
    Im female, live alone in Dublin 7 & have never had any problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I disagree. I have seen fights between junkies on the Luas in broad daylight, at nine in the morning in fact. Also some of them target tourists.

I travel on the Luas regularly and have never seen a fight on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 artemis268

As a non irish non white person living in ireland for years, You cant let your guard down in Dublin. Top tips include not dressing too fancy, keep your phone close to you, avoid people/groups wearing uniform colour tracksuits especially if they are young and white (the term here for them is skangers) and areas near social housings (flats). If you keep to that, chances are you should have a grand time here.

Advise you to avoid dublin tho, its a grimy small town essentially. If you want an actual city, then go to london. If you are in ireland, might as well go to Killarney or somewhere and see the amazing countryside scenery.

bubblypop wrote: »
    We where exactly in d7?
    Im female, live alone in Dublin 7 & have never had any problems

Ok possibly I exaggerated a bit in saying 'most of Dublin 7'. Parts of North Cabra are definitely dodgy though.

artemis268 wrote: »

Advise you to avoid dublin tho, its a grimy small town essentially. If you want an actual city, then go to london. If you are in ireland, might as well go to Killarney or somewhere and see the amazing countryside scenery.

I agree with this.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ok possibly I exaggerated a bit in saying 'most of Dublin 7'. Parts of North Cabra are definitely dodgy though.

What on earth would a tourist be doing visiting north Cabra?

OP- Dublin is as safe as you'll get. Safer than Brussels for a solo travelling female.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

artemis268 wrote: »
    avoid dublin tho, its a grimy small town

Way to go to make yourself popular in this forum!

Can't deny ya there

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Conchir

Sorry, the entirety of Dublin 1?

O'Connell St and the GPO? The Gate and Abbey Theatres? These are places you'd tell a tourist to avoid, with no explanation or context? Certainly parts of Dublin 1 are not the nicest and you wouldn't want to be alone there, but to tar the entire place with the same brush would be to cut off some pretty significant (and safe) parts of the city.

artemis268 wrote:

Trying not to feel triggered

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

Yes junkies, yes scumbags but you will get them in any city in the World. I lived in Phibsboro for 3 years, regularly walked through Cabra and never had a problem. If your flashing cash, your phone etc, walking down dodgy lanes, on your own late at night then you could run into problems.

Dublin 1 is unsafe hahaha

Just be street smart OP and you'll be fine. I'd recommend Kilkenny or Kerry over Dublin any day. It really is a kip there.

humberklog wrote: »

OP- Dublin is as safe as you'll get.

This is just factually inaccurate, and demonstrably so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

Can't tell if trolling or actually thinks dublin is unsafe. It's as safe as it comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Oh wow.

Crazy...

Clearly never been to any other European country.

Sometimes people fight. It's not Regular it's not the norm it happens.

Jodotman wrote: »
    Can't tell if trolling or actually thinks dublin is unsafe. It's as safe as it comes.

I am not trolling at all, and I can only guess from your post that you have not done much international travel. Dublin has a high crime rate. The junkie element may exist in other cities, but rarely in areas so close to the city centre, such as the boardwalk that another poster mentioned.

It is simply factually false to state that Dublin is 'as safe as it comes.'

listermint wrote: »
    Oh wow.

Crazy...

Clearly never been to any other European country.

Sometimes people fight. It's not Regular it's not the norm it happens.

I have been to most European capitals, and lived in several.
    I have never seen junkies fighting on public transport in broad daylight in any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

I am not trolling at all, and I can only guess from your post that you have not done much international travel. Dublin has a high crime rate. The junkie element may exist in other cities, but rarely in areas so close to the city centre, such as the boardwalk that another poster mentioned.

It is simply factually false to state that Dublin is 'as safe as it comes.'

Dublin is no more dangerous than any other city. You seeing junkies fighting on the Luas one time means nothing.

The person making hysterical and baseless assertions here is you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I just did a quick google on the safest/best european destinations for solo traveller and Dublin pops up in a few of them.

A quick google on Europe's unsafest cities and Dublin's not ranked highly.

Could you link to or point in a direction that demonstrates your notion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I have been to Brussels on a number of occasions and I can safely say Dublin is a hell of a lot safer...Paris,London or any other capital city all has its no go areas.
    Barcelona is another city more crime ridden than Dublin or it definitely feels that way...OP just keep your wits about you like any major city..as others have said keep your phone out of site and don't flash cash around.
    Another poster above suggested an organised pub crawl this is a great idea and you have quite a few to choose from...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Knock the scaremongering and exaggeration off. Dublin is nowhere near as bad as some here would have you believe. More helpful posts please from now on.

@meliselis
    Dublin is a great city with lots for you to see and do. It, like most cities of its size, does have issues but a bit of commonsense and you will be fine.

Let us know what kind of stuff you are into; nightlife, museums cultural, types of places and things you like doing (walking, mountains, seaside, etc.) and the good posters of DC will provide you with some great tips. And do visit Howth, it's a lovely day out unless the weather is bad like today.

Advertisement