Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling solo to Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I have been too most European capitals, and lived in several.
    I have never seen junkies fighting on public transport in broad daylight in any other.
    Just because you didn't see it does not mean it's doesn't happen...I have been to many if not most capitals in Europe..as well as a lot of the major us city's and I have seen junkies or drunks in most if not all of them..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I have been to most European capitals, and lived in several.
    I have never seen junkies fighting on public transport in broad daylight in any other.

I'm getting a mental image of a spotty lad who doesnt like going out in public.

You are talking complete tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,963 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have been to most European capitals, and lived in several.

Well I have in Brussels and Milan.

So is this a game of top trumps.?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

meliselis wrote: »
    I'm a 29y old woman from Belgium.
    I'm planning a trip to Dublin, and i want to travel alone.

Any recommendations or tips?
    Is it safe for a woman to travel alone in Dublin?

X

You have to give more information to get decent reccomendations. How long are you staying? What are your interests/ intentions?

If you're visiting Ireland, of course you should spend time in Dublin, but you should also consider visiting other parts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Please don't go to Malahide on the DART , There's nothing to see there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,629 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Oops69 wrote: »

Howth is Las Vegas compared to it :D

Howth is Las Vegas compared to it :D
    and Bray is like Atlantic city.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,196 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Oops69 wrote: »

Malahide castle grounds?
    Then lunch in the village aftetwards.

There are more and more tourists who disagree with your assessmemt.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Malahide castle grounds?
    Then lunch in the village aftetwards.

There are more and more tourists who disagree with your assessmemt.

I presume the poster's on here to get suggestions on things that are not in the 'top 10 things to do on a weekend in DUBLIN ' guide book , I left out my own suggestion poster , I do recommend a visit to Bull Island and Marsh's library if open.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ah come on. As long as you keep your wits about you, and aren't wandering around alone in the wee hours of the morning, this is really being unfair to both areas.

I disagree. I have seen fights between junkies on the Luas in broad daylight, at nine in the morning in fact. Also some of them target tourists.

Grow a pair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

artemis268 wrote: »
    As a non irish non white person living in ireland for years, You cant let your guard down in Dublin. Top tips include not dressing too fancy, keep your phone close to you, avoid people/groups wearing uniform colour tracksuits especially if they are young and white (the term here for them is skangers) and areas near social housings (flats). If you keep to that, chances are you should have a grand time here.

Advise you to avoid dublin tho, its a grimy small town essentially. If you want an actual city, then go to london. If you are in ireland, might as well go to Killarney or somewhere and see the amazing countryside scenery.

Hate to burst your bubble but Dublin is an actual city and not a small grimy town as you describe. There's actually lots to see and do here for any tourist or visitor. As for not dressing too fancy thats a load of balls you'd swear people in Dublin need to dress in rags to blend in.

There's plenty of places for the lady to go, Dublin castle, Christ church etc.....

And as for people complaining about D1, I work in D1 and it's grand for the most part, you'd swear from the comments that anywhere outside of Ireland is a Utopia, I once saw a man take a **** in the city centre in Budapest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Guys, after reading this thread I wouldn't come to Ireland because it's full of silly men fighting over whether Dublin is great or not! Seriously, give constructive advice or get off the stage.

OP, I've visited most European capitals alone and Dublin doesn't feel any more dangerous than any of them. There are so many attractions to see and things to do, a lot of them for free.

My advice on staying safe would be to not have your phone carelessly in your hand when walking along and look confident, like you know where you're going.

Stick to main thoroughfares and you will be fine.

As others have said let us know what your interests are and we can give more specific recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

nkav86 wrote: »
    Bit harsh on Dublin 7 IMO, I've lived in the area most of my life. I've never felt unsafe, yeah there are some oddballs but no more than any other working class area.

I have lived in D7 for 17 years and never felt physically unsafe. Once there was a bit of verbal hassle but that is it. Maybe a post to the ladies' lounge would help clarify it from a female perspective since I sometimes see women mention stuff I never come across in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

psinno wrote:
    I have lived in D7 for 17 years and never felt physically unsafe. Once there was a bit of verbal hassle but that is it. Maybe a post to the ladies' lounge would help clarify it from a female perspective since I sometimes see women mention stuff I never come across in my life.

I'm female lol From my point of view its grand, never felt unsafe at all

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Diane Selwyn

psinno wrote: »

As a female who lives alone in Cabra I can confirm that it's perfectly safe but unlikely in itself to appeal to international visitors in a short stay unless it's as a base convenient to the likes of Phoenix Park, Botanic Gardens, Glasnevin Cemetery, Croke Park, Jameson Distillery, National Museum at Collins Barracks and etc.

Dublin is not a particularly unsafe city and no more dangerous for females than for males.

Advertisement